BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Done with the X5

I can't do it anymore. Just not happy with the overall experience. So less than a year in, I'm selling it and moving on. I only got the x5 as I was rear ended in my 4 year old x3 with 102k miles on it. Got a sweetheart deal. Loved the x3

I hate the AC. I have to disable the overpriced rear climate in iDrive just to drive acceptable airflow.

Mocha Package with the leather dash. Don't know about anyone else but there's a smell from this that gives me a headache on hot days. Also, this interior just always feels hotter than other cars to me. It was annoying.

CarPlay hardly ever worked. Very clunky implementation and not as fluid as a ford rental I had last year! Also static on about 40% of my calls.

Mileage was not as good as advertised ~23.5 with eco pro and careful driving. Expected better.

Wind noise was higher than I expected for a 65k+ car. Dealer wouldn't troubleshoot it as it was within acceptable standards.

Few more nit picky things but I expected a lot more from a flagship model with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
I can't do it anymore. Just not happy with the overall experience. So less than a year in, I'm selling it and moving on. I only got the x5 as I was rear ended in my 4 year old x3 with 102k miles on it. Got a sweetheart deal. Loved the x3

I hate the AC. I have to disable the overpriced rear climate in iDrive just to drive acceptable airflow.

Mocha Package with the leather dash. Don't know about anyone else but there's a smell from this that gives me a headache on hot days. Also, this interior just always feels hotter than other cars to me. It was annoying.

CarPlay hardly ever worked. Very clunky implementation and not as fluid as a ford rental I had last year! Also static on about 40% of my calls.

Mileage was not as good as advertised ~23.5 with eco pro and careful driving. Expected better.

Wind noise was higher than I expected for a 65k+ car. Dealer wouldn't troubleshoot it as it was within acceptable standards.

Few more nit picky things but I expected a lot more from a flagship model with BMW.
I'm in AZ with 104F and no issues like you describe. Car interior can feel hotter because it is more materials and more padded and isolated. It's one of the quietest cars I've had from around 12 different brands. There's Alex on Autos reviewer - he does honest and to the point reviews and he measures dB noise and x5 f15 had lowest so far!
23.5MPG is a very good mileage for an x5! My 50i has 14mpg in city lol. For the performance I get (I can pretty much walk 99.99% of cars on road) this mpg is low price to pay! This is not a econobox. Many owners - especially who lease - have confused expectations - BMW is not a reliable Toyota or Honda machine, it's a pleasure machine for driving experience. This is why i bought 50i and not 35i - as for mpg and reliability or techno gimmicks like carplay and such - I might have as well looked elsewhere - maybe a good idea to look into different brands even. On contrary I test drove X3 before choosing x5 and it felt small, underpowered and a class below to x5. I'm not choosing cars based on carplay or mpg but I can see your frustration, well we all learn on our mistakes eventually, BMW is not for everyone
Appreciate 7
      08-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Best of luck.
      08-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

wind noise? you sure it isnt tire noise?

what are you getting next?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
wind noise? you sure it isnt tire noise?

what are you getting next?
I'm going to give Audi a try fully optioned '18 a4 Allroad.

I love BMW but not the x5. Other models seem dated at this point. 5er is nice and if the wagon was available-- done deal!

On the wind noise, it's a high pitched whistle in cross winds. Something wasn't sealed right.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

The X5 isn't for everyone. Best of luck with Audi. I'm looking at an A8 myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
BitteEinBit
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35i DHP MPPK

I also don't have any of the issues you describe.

My wife had an Audi All Road, which we got rid of. It looked nice inside and out, and we wanted to like it, had high expectations, but in the end found it to be too small and cramped. I would hit my back on the pillar between the front and rear doors getting in and out of the car, drove me crazy. Audi needs to bring back the A6 All Road then they would have a winner.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      08-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Apart from the poor mpg, I have no issues from the ones you described (and I came from a 750i).

Good luck with your next car, and keep us posted how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

This A/C complaints are really weird, I have no problems even during 100+ days in NY, it doesn't make it frigid cold but it's really cold enough. Did you get it checked?

You can complain about the "chemical" smell, maybe dash can be replaced?

Did dealer drive and hear the wind noise? I had a lot of wind noise (whistle) on my E70 but not nearly much on F15.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing, I am looking at Q7 myself, and it doesn't drive anywhere near a BMW, so while it might have stronger A/C, the drive is not going to be as direct/fun as BMW, which I realized after test driving several other competitors- but no matter which way you go, nothing will satisfy you %100 if you are really picky. When I read "done with X5" I thought you've been to dealer many times and they can't fix major issues you might be having.
      08-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I agree the a/c should work more like how other companies implement, which is when you get in they automatically crank to max and then taper off to desired temp. Yes, my ford mustang does a better job of maintaining a set temp without having to change anything. BUT.... the bmw is way more advanced. I think the main reason it works like it does is because it is a luxury car and they want to keep noise to a minimum. So they include 5 levels of "automatic" fan speed. I usually keep mine in middle and rarely use other auto fan settings. After driving a while and interior is really cool, then I'll drop it down to level 2. So question... if you hit max a/c your telling me that you don't get enough airflow?? It blasts the interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Forgot... one thing that does drive me nuts... a lot of times, I turn on the a/c initially to cool the car and then drop to manual settings and set temp all the way low and turn off a/c button. So j just want basically outside air vented into interior with low fan speed. But damn a/c compressor stays on!! And button light is off. So then I have to shut off the system completely and wait a minute then turn back on. Seems like it doesn't want the compressor off. And if you have the 4 zone climate, you have to take extra step and go into I-drive and turn off rear climate if you don't want the compressor on.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #12
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

So let's analyze one of your complaints . . . You buy a $67,000 BMW X5 high performance AWD SUV that does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and then want the gas mileage to be better

Have you thought about trading up to a Space Grey Metallic "Vespa"?

Killer mileage
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-26-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post

I have a 2017 now with sunroof and thibk its louder than my 2014 F15 but there are also many improvements. CarPlay is dodgy and it can get frustrating to make it work (especially when kids demand a song)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #14
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep

I appreciate everyone's responses...even the snarky ones. Look - I will always have a fondness for BMW. My wedding car was a beautiful classic BMW. I have owned a 5 series and an X3. I really enjoyed the X3. It had 102k miles on it when some jerk who was texting rear ended me on the highway outside Boston. I had zero problems with that for the most part AND it had original brake pads!!!

I got caught with the dealer (also the body shop) in picking out an X5 I probably didn't need or like just to get a great deal. It was a great deal by the way. The trade in value was thousands above what I thought the car was worth and they threw in USAA, loyalty cash, employee purchase agreements, etc...and stacked everything.

So, instead of getting a model that matched my requirements, I decided to get some options like the nappa leather that I normally would have passed on.

Yes - I did visit the service department a few times for the wind noise, the wipers also never cleaned the right upper half of the windshield correctly (known issue). The CarPlay inconsistencies were just astonishing (another known issue) and there was no upgrade available. I thought to myself - yes the driving is good but the X5 just felt too big to me and heavy. I also thought that for 2017 and a highly optioned car that the tech would "just work" instead of me trying to figure out the issues. The AC however was the last straw.

While I know many don't have the issue, the dealer also validated that many do complain about it. The issue isn't temp. It's airflow. Unless the rear controls are off, the airflow isn't great. Also, I don't know but in NH, we haven't had a hot summer. The interior on this car was always hot! I mean...I sweated in the car even with the ventilated seats. It was uncomfortable and I drive a ton for work...almost 30K per year. That and the smell really turned me off.

I picked up my 18 allroad from Audi yesterday. Yes it's smaller. Bigger than a 3er wagon though. The tech is amazing and worked out of the dealer. No issues. Very intuitive. The quietness of the cabin is night and day vs. the X5. I cannot stress this enough. It is whisper quiet. Finally, the AC is nice, cold, and blows hard. I'm happy with this result. I have 3-5 yrs here and I'll see what BMW comes out with!

This forum is very helpful!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
thaddh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I love my X5 but the AC is absolutely terrible. This is probably the most common complaint in the boards, I am not sure why people act like this isn't a real issue. I will not buy another X5 unless they fix this.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

What's a wedding car?

I'm really enjoying my X5. I have none of the complaints you have. The only real complaint I have is the need to add oil in between changes.

Best of luck with Audi. I love the new S5 sedan. I really like the Q7 as well
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #17
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

^^^

Oh, just to add, not that you need it, but I fully support your move. Life is short. If you enjoy cars as much as I do, life is way too short to be in a vehicle you don't like.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

So most of those with the A/C cooling issues all have the rear climate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Life is short. If you enjoy cars as much as I do, life is way too short to be in a vehicle you don't like.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
So most of those with the A/C cooling issues all have the rear climate?
+1
I have 50i with rear climate and I have no issues with A/C whatsoever. I recently checked and my rear is constantly on - I never bothered to turn it off and I still get more than enough air upfront. BTW I'm in AZ and it's 110F today. Just came from gym and I had to turn down A/C from 3 to 1 (lowest setting) to not get cold.

Lots of malls or small shops here where central A/C is on full blast mode and people put sweaters on to not catch cold - I would never want my car to be like that. Just came from gym where customer service girl was sneezing and trying to cover herself in cardigan to stay warm - A/C was as usual on full blast in the gym. I can see her skipping work due to getting sick in near future. And yet I saw happy older folks that were sweating even when doing nothing - just talking - they complained about how hot it was and wanted to turn additional fans in gym It seems to me those people who feel A/C is not working as it should - have this kind of metabolism/mentality lol

Last edited by DuSh; 08-27-2017 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #20
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
The X5 A/C with no comparison is alright, but compared to our Mercedes or Range Rover, it's really lacking. Compared to some Ford rental cars it's downright bad.
deutsch1003739.50
      08-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #21
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I have 50i with rear climate and I have no issues with A/C whatsoever. I recently checked and my rear is constantly on - I never bothered to turn it off and I still get more than enough air upfront. BTW I'm in AZ and it's 110F today. Just came from gym and I had to turn down A/C from 3 to 1 (lowest setting) to not get cold.

Lots of malls or small shops here where central A/C is on full blast mode and people put sweaters on to not catch cold - I would never want my car to be like that. Just came from gym where customer service girl was sneezing and trying to cover herself in cardigan to stay warm - A/C was as usual on full blast in the gym. I can see her skipping work due to getting sick in near future. And yet I saw happy older folks that were sweating even when doing nothing - just talking - they complained about how hot it was and wanted to turn additional fans in gym It seems to me those people who feel A/C is not working as it should - have this kind of metabolism/mentality lol
There are several threads on the AC here and over at bimmerfest. I am not someone that is hot all of the time and I am comparing the X5 to a previous X3 and 5er. The X5 comparatively speaking is AWFUL and it's the most expensive model in the line up I've owned. I have a theory on this. There are two AC part suppliers. Rear climate option makes it worse. Leather dashboard makes it even worse. I'm telling you this car was always hot with temps in high 70s low 80s outside.

I got rid of the X5 as it wasn't meeting my expectations especially considering the cost. I pay for value. I pay for quality. BMW is going in the wrong direction here. It's not all about the 0-60 times for most people.

My new A4 allroad's build quality is top notch. It compared to a 3er but the quality of the entire package is fantastic. I never liked Audis before. This model is changing my mind and BMW needs to be on their toes in the future. If Audi releases the Tesla model3 killer before BMW, lights out.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #22
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

So you have been so disappointed in your X5 you have dumped it and purchased an Audi.

Why spend the time on an X5 forum continuing your commentary on the X5?

I would think you would be on an Audi forum regarding your new car.
Appreciate 5