BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

21? wheels any issues with tire bubbles?

I currently have 19? wheels with all season RFT and wanted to upgrade to 21? wheels. However living in NJ the roads suck. My concern is with a low profile tire does anyone have any issues with bubbles in their sidewall give weight of truck ?

We also have a 650 and those tires I believe are a 35 sidewall and we?ve had to replace about six front tires in about 2 1/2 years....thank goodness for tire insurance. And oh yeah had to replace 4 rims since they were all bent. My guess is the low profile RFT have much less give vs. non RFT

While I like the look of staggered 21? just wondering how practical they are given the crappy road conditions in NJ.

Anyone with experience would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Hrmmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I've had both 20" and 21" run flat tires, and the streets around me are pretty crappy as well (tons of pot holes, bumps, etc). So far I haven't had any issues (other than a nail puncturing my tire), but I'm also more cautious of driving over such things in the road. The main reason I didn't go with 22" tires was because I was worried how easily they'd pop given the road conditions, so I went with 21s instead. So if I do see that I'm going to run over some kind of bump or hole, I try to slow down a bit and haven't had an issue.

I think the ride quality of 21 vs 20 isn't very different. It's maybe a touch more rough, but barely noticeable to me.
Appreciate 0