BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Logburnie
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Where have my cd tracks gone?

Get prepared for the dullest post here...

I spent ages saving over a pile of kids story cds this afternoon - we are making a long trip tomorrow and this will make the drive slightly less painful!!

When I go to the music collection part, only 4 of the 9 cds are showing up, but if I try and re-copy the other cds it says they are already copied, and won't let me do it again. I've turned the car off and on again, locked etc, but they don't appear. What am I missing?

I don't want a bunch of kids cds rattling round in the car, partly the reason why I spent the time transferring them over....

Advice? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
StewartE
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

You might find the missing CD tracks under "audio books" vs music.

I recall encountering something similar to what you describe when loading comedy albums onto a USB stick for use in my 2014 X5. Some albums would show as music (as I would prefer) but others would show as audio books. In my case, it was the genre tag of "Spoken & Audio" that caused the tracks to appear as an audio book. Once I reset the genre tag to a music oriented choice ("Classical"), the tracks appeared as music. I did all the tag resetting via the PC I used to rip the CD's in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

I ran into a similar issue; I loaded a bunch of mp3's off my computer onto a USB to load onto the onboard storage. Most items from a particular artist (in my case, Elton John) don't show up. Upon further investigation I find the following notice in the "entertainment" guide....

"Tracks with DRM copy protection can be stored but cannot be played back."

Continuing my research, DRM = Digital Rights Management; individual artists attach this to items to manage their content. I've seen reference to the ability to "remove" these rights from the files, but haven't dug any deeper.

I'm guessing this is the case with my files, and probably the same with yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
As crazy as it sounds, some CDs do have DRM that lets them work for playback in CD player, but does not work when you put them into a computer. The infotainment system in the car is a computer as far as DRM goes which is kind of silly.

When I find such CDs I always take them back to the store and get an refund.