BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #45
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

I'm actually in West London close to Heathrow, I only ordered through Maidstone as they gave me the best deal

My car has arrived at the dealerships preparation place so on schedule for collection next week Its been there since 17th Feb but I only found out today
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #46
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

There's 4 of us on here from London area all expecting cars within a few weeks, and it turns out 2 of us are within a few miles of each other in North West London (myself and X5M50D) and two of you are close by in the diagonally opposite side in the South East London/NW Kent area.

We'll need to find somewhere around the middle ground for a meet up in April/May
Yep up for that and anyone else on this Forum
      02-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #47
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
I'm actually in West London close to Heathrow, I only ordered through Maidstone as they gave me the best deal
Very close to me then

And I ordered through Vines of Gatwick for the same reason.
      02-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #48
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post

My car has arrived at the dealerships preparation place so on schedule for collection next week Its been there since 17th Feb but I only found out today
So that's three of us very close to each other.
My order was placed at Coopers Reading for the same reason.
      02-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #49
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

The sales guy at my local dealer Berry Chiswick was just rude and condescending. Maybe we should arrange the meet in their car park
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #50
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Just found out mine is now expected week 10, not week 9 (next week).
So as I suspected, I think that it is definitely on board the RESOLVE, which is currently approaching the Bay of Biscay, and isn't due to dock at Bremerhaven until 7am on Saturday which would have been really pushing it to get to the dealer for any day next week!! (weather conditions in the channel permitting, as it looks awful for tomorrow )
      03-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #51
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Photos would be great to see where you have hidden the cable
What length cable did you use as my existing cable must be around 2m long?
Cheers
Hi Thawke,
Any advice and help with how best to hide the cable within the car from dash cam to power source.
Photos would be great.
Thanks.
      03-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #52
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Hi Thawke,
Any advice and help with how best to hide the cable within the car from dash cam to power source.
Photos would be great.
Thanks.
I am so sorry I was meant to do that already...

Will take photos of the setup tomorrow in daylight and post.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #53
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is how I did my Dashcam,

1. I first powered it up from the power socket in the front in order to place it where I wanted it. Mine has a screen so I could see what it saw, and made sure I put it as close to the rear view mirror housing as possible without "it" seeing the black corners of the housing itself.

2. After much jiggling and minute (bordering on anal) adjustments, I was happy with a position that hid it from my view whilst driving and made it close to the rearview mirror that it would be stealthy from the outside.

3. I then fed the power cable into the rear view Mirror housing and went around the inside of it, then up and into the headliner above the driver's side

You can just poke it in there with your fingers, the headlining is not sealed shut up the front so there's more than enough leeway to poke a cable under it.

4. On the corner the cable comes down and behind the side pillar air bag trim, I personally didn't have to remove the Airbag sine and unscrew the cover to put it through, for me I just managed to pry it only so much to poke the cable through and then it just slowly returned back into place.

5. Next I just ran the cable inside the door frame seal (there's enough room for a cable to go in there, around the centre pillar (making sure I poked it inside the cover, again, wasn't too much of an issue) and then round the seal for the rear door.

6. This is probably the only part I am not too fond of, I couldn't put it underneath any trim near the backseat, and I didnt want to take any trim off either, so I just made it follow the join between the black plastic bottom half and the soft cloth upper half near the seat belts

7. Lowered the seat back, passed the cable through then closed it up again, then ran the cable behind the side wall trim, you can poke the cable in the gap between the wall and the plastic shelf until the cable ended up in the fuse box area.

Any extra cable was just left in there (there's wasnt much left from a 3 meter cable) and then just extended what was needed to reach the trunk power socket as shown here

And voila... Dashcam done.

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #54
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
This is how I did my Dashcam,

1. I first powered it up from the power socket in the front in order to place it where I wanted it. Mine has a screen so I could see what it saw, and made sure I put it as close to the rear view mirror housing as possible without "it" seeing the black corners of the housing itself.

2. After much jiggling and minute (bordering on anal) adjustments, I was happy with a position that hid it from my view whilst driving and made it close to the rearview mirror that it would be stealthy from the outside.

3. I then fed the power cable into the rear view Mirror housing and went around the inside of it, then up and into the headliner above the driver's side

You can just poke it in there with your fingers, the headlining is not sealed shut up the front so there's more than enough leeway to poke a cable under it.

4. On the corner the cable comes down and behind the side pillar air bag trim, I personally didn't have to remove the Airbag sine and unscrew the cover to put it through, for me I just managed to pry it only so much to poke the cable through and then it just slowly returned back into place.

5. Next I just ran the cable inside the door frame seal (there's enough room for a cable to go in there, around the centre pillar (making sure I poked it inside the cover, again, wasn't too much of an issue) and then round the seal for the rear door.

6. This is probably the only part I am not too fond of, I couldn't put it underneath any trim near the backseat, and I didnt want to take any trim off either, so I just made it follow the join between the black plastic bottom half and the soft cloth upper half near the seat belts

7. Lowered the seat back, passed the cable through then closed it up again, then ran the cable behind the side wall trim, you can poke the cable in the gap between the wall and the plastic shelf until the cable ended up in the fuse box area.

Any extra cable was just left in there (there's wasnt much left from a 3 meter cable) and then just extended what was needed to reach the trunk power socket as shown here

And voila... Dashcam done.
Many thanks Thawke - SIMPLES!
All I need to do is purchaser a longer cable as my existing is about two metres in length, so not long enough.
So now just sitting here and waiting for the delivery
Still no update?
      03-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #55
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Was at Vines Gatwick today as my mother bought an X1 and wanted me to drive it from the dealer back home, and she didn't fancy driving on the M25 in a car she wasn't used to (bless her).

Anyway point is, huge BMW Dealership I noticed and remembered GeeRam saying he ordered his from there so took a look around the parked cars round back, didn't spot anything, sorry mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #56
Xee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
Was going to avoid having a separate thread for this and just post in the random shot of the day thread, but noticed it was for X5s ? so can we post X6's in there also ?

Anyway, very pleasant experience, picked up the brand new car today (Build completed 11th Jan 2017), so far very pleased with it, as its my first "large" car will take a bit of getting used to coming from the 2015 F20 M135i as my previous car, but am pleased with the upgrade.

Taken 1 Month roughly from build complete to being picked up, so that's very good from BMW, as have read some horror stories with wait times.

Anyway....

...thought I'd share some photos for those who would like (sorry iPhone quality)

Walked in to this

and

then after the unveiling

Showing off the M performance splitter here

and lastly

Well done! That color is bang on!!
Appreciate 0