BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

EB is the best colour BMW make IMO.

Had a 3 series and M235 and both looked superb in any light.

Shame we can't get it.
      02-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
EB is the best colour BMW make IMO.

Had a 3 series and M235 and both looked superb in any light.

Shame we can't get it.
Indeed. I would have ticked EB without hesitation on my X5 order had it been available.
Bluewater (as my 135i) would have been another colour option I would have chosen as well.
      02-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #25
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

I think any sort of colour option instead of black, white, silver and grey would have been good.

What's confusing is that I saw a santorini blue f15 m sport in west london a few months ago. I'm not sure how that got ordered
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #26
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
I think any sort of colour option instead of black, white, silver and grey would have been good.

What's confusing is that I saw a santorini blue f15 m sport in west london a few months ago. I'm not sure how that got ordered
Probably a wrap?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #27
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
so that leaves imperial blue, atlas cedar or sparkling brown and even less options if you choose m-sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #28
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
so that leaves imperial blue, atlas cedar or sparkling brown and even less options if you choose m-sport.
And, while Imperial Blue looks lovely in bright sunlight when spotlessly clean........in dull, grey overcast UK, it just looks like black most of the time, and the couple of Imperial Blue 5er's that I looked at on dealer forecourts showed up very bad swirl marks on it.

Again, Sparkling Brown is very, very dark other than in bright sunlight, so again, a no-go for me.......hence that left the only option of Atlas Cedar, which is what I ordered.

It will certainly be unusual I think, as despite being available since last Aug, my order was the first Atlas Cedar X5 order that my dealer had taken.

I think whoever it is in BMW design that is responsible for the colour palette (monochrome palette would be more accurate) for the X5, clearly suffers from clinical depression......
1230vani652.50
      02-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #29
bcb1
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I think whoever it is in BMW design that is responsible for the colour palette (monochrome palette would be more accurate) for the X5, clearly suffers from clinical depression......[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth!! I agree completely. It's like you can buy the X5 in black, white, and 15 different shades of gray. I can't see what BMW is thinking in not offering at least a couple bright, exciting colors.

Porsche offers the Cayenne in bright red. It's a $3120 option but at least you can get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:44 AM   #30
David_GT3
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0DM

Porsche even offer PTS (Paint to Sample) - think of a colour and you can get it; at a price.

Our X5 is Ruby Black;
had I not seen it in the flesh at the dealer, there is no way I would have ordered it.
It's subtle, true, but looks just a little different to 'black', especially when the sun is out ( once this year )

Oh - I also got the optional swirls from the dealer on delivery, along with a couple of scratches.
They polished out easily ( I'm a certified detailer) but there is no way a car should be supplied to a customer like that.
I did complain, but it got me no-where.

Its getting a full ceramic coating this week, if the weather holds... fingers crossed
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      02-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #31
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

The Spartanburg plant used to do BMW Individual paint options for the E70, but discontinued this for all models made in Spartanburg back in 2012. I have a copy of the doc from BMW NA with this note:
Plant Spartanburg is not offering special order paint on the X3, X5 or X6 models until further notice.
I found this out back in January of 2013 when we were days away from ordering an E70 in Imola Red (was going to be $4550 (wholesale price) extra, but rolled into a lease, we were only going to be paying for 44% of that). This actually caused us to drop our plans to buy the E70, and we ended up getting an F15 X535d in January of 2014 instead.

In October of this past year when looking at ordering another F15, I checked into the individual paint availability again. They had apparently just started offering this again in Spartanburg, but the lead time was very long. They produce only two X5s per week worldwide in Individual colors at the Spartanburg plant. As of October of last year, the first available slots for this were in April, about a 6 month lead time. Given the fact that they clearly mentioned this is worldwide production capability, I assume that means that people outside of the US can order Individual colors.

The pricing for this as of last fall was $4735 whsl / $5200 retail. I believe you can order any color in BMW's system, not just colors offered on X5 or X6 variants, but I never confirmed this as we opted not to go down this path this time around (Our new X540e was already over $80k, I decided another $5k wasn't necessary...) I do know in the past, you could order any color you want.

Anyway, HTH a little.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #32
ZOHVI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z06/335i E92

Although I love EB and think it'd look cool on the X5, its more of a niche color in my opinion. It may be harder to sell once you're done with it. You'd probably be better off getting it in a neutral/popular color like white/black/silver and then having a professional shop wrap it in the color of your choice. That way once you're done with the car, you can simply have it removed and sell it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #33
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I think whoever it is in BMW design that is responsible for the colour palette (monochrome palette would be more accurate) for the X5, clearly suffers from clinical depression......
You have confused clinical depression with wisdom and maturity. BMW understands that a majority of their customers prefer a sophisticated and timeless palette over a loud color that screams "Look at me!!!" and will likely be out-of-style in 3-5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
$5200 to paint the car in a color they offer for the same chassis? That's highway robbery.
I wouldn't purchase a red SUV if it came with a $5200 discount. I guess that's what makes the world go round.

Last edited by Chadmatic; 03-04-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-03-2017, 02:34 AM   #34
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
You have confused clinical depression with wisdom and maturity. BMW understands that a majority of their customers prefer a sophisticated and timeless palette over a loud color that screams "Look at me!!!" and will be out-of-style in 3-5 years.
Bollox