BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

2017 X5 or the New Range Rover Sport?

What do you guys think. Like my 2017 but Range Rover looks so good and they have now Dynamic versions and new infotainment (also HUD). Interior in the Range looks awesome just worried a bit about not liking it after last 4 cars being BMWs so I kinda got used to them. Anyone thinking about new Range Rover Sport? Something sensible like diesel or 6cl petrol. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
wolfnards
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
What do you guys think. Like my 2017 but Range Rover looks so good and they have now Dynamic versions and new infotainment (also HUD). Interior in the Range looks awesome just worried a bit about not liking it after last 4 cars being BMWs so I kinda got used to them. Anyone thinking about new Range Rover Sport? Something sensible like diesel or 6cl petrol. Thanks
If leasing then I'd go with the RR. If owning for more than 3-4yrs then BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The RRS looks like a Ford Explorer unless equipped in all the Supercharged or Autobiography regalia. The vehicle tech (even though new for this year) is out of date compared to BMW or any other Euro Marque. I am a diehard LR/RR fan but I would rather do a 2009 or a 2011 RRS-SC over any of the L494 out currently. (2009 for it's engine and 2011 because it is part of the refreshed face but was before they put in that awful navigation that operates at dial-up speeds.)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfnards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
If leasing then I'd go with the RR. If owning for more than 3-4yrs then BMW
Thanks. I am bit leasing.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The RRS looks like a Ford Explorer unless equipped in all the Supercharged or Autobiography regalia. The vehicle tech (even though new for this year) is out of date compared to BMW or any other Euro Marque. I am a diehard LR/RR fan but I would rather do a 2009 or a 2011 RRS-SC over any of the L494 out currently. (2009 for it's engine and 2011 because it is part of the refreshed face but was before they put in that awful navigation that operates at dial-up speeds.)
Was thinking autobiography package, pricey but it also offers a lot, euro car, so X5 apart from the mpackage offers little in terms of better price for a package, most extras are extra charge. Saw an autobiography yesterday and wa simply blown off inside and out how it looks. Saw the supercharged model also svr (not sure what it is called) and x5M is better looking but mpackage loaded compared to an autobiography looses imo. Also like huge wheels with RRS and fat tires. Should have booked a test drive to see how LR brand new navi, HUD and infotainment perform (along with the whole car). Perhaps steering feel is better than in the X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Considering the Full Size AB starts at $140k you can expect the interior quality to be top notch but the tech is the same as in the base model except for the 1700w radio option and the navigation for rear passengers. The RRSC-SVR gets paint options which are exclusive to that trim level and some interior bits as well however all the same otherwise except for the boost in output. Sadly none of the RRS/RRS-SC or RR-SC have wide fat tires. 22x9.5 is the widest (iirc). Steering is not any better or any worse. It is the same style and feel.
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      02-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
stickersteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 brooklyn grey X3

I actually had this same dilemma. The range rover sport was my dream car. While I could have afforded it, to me, $80,000 for a decent equipped RR sport was still just more than I wanted to spend on a car. Personally, I think they are more fun to drive than the X5, and I recently drove the 2017 RR sport but the tech is behind the X5. The giant empty dash has a decent screen now, but to me it is to far to reach to change settings. Everything in the X5 seems to be more in reach for me. The screen with cameras on the X5 is so much better. One quirk I hate about the RR is it is a little hard to see out the back window. The head rests are always in the way. You cant move them out of the way, you have to remove them completely. I ended up getting a 2017 Carbon black X5 with black rims and am very happy with it, except for some glitches in the software. I am not even using the apply car play for now because I believe it is not working right.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickersteve View Post
I actually had this same dilemma. The range rover sport was my dream car. While I could have afforded it, to me, $80,000 for a decent equipped RR sport was still just more than I wanted to spend on a car. Personally, I think they are more fun to drive than the X5, and I recently drove the 2017 RR sport but the tech is behind the X5. The giant empty dash has a decent screen now, but to me it is to far to reach to change settings. Everything in the X5 seems to be more in reach for me. The screen with cameras on the X5 is so much better. One quirk I hate about the RR is it is a little hard to see out the back window. The head rests are always in the way. You cant move them out of the way, you have to remove them completely. I ended up getting a 2017 Carbon black X5 with black rims and am very happy with it, except for some glitches in the software. I am not even using the apply car play for now because I believe it is not working right.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. You've driven the 2017 RRS and still opted for the X5 for reasons that are important to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:53 AM   #10
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I like the seats in the Range Rover. Very comfy. However for long trips, the command seating can be tiresome mainly for the driver. I don't like the styling of the RRS as much however as the full size one. I mean you sort of get a lot of the good stuff from the full size model, just in a smaller vehicle [and cheaper price].

I have not sat in the latest ones with the updated infotainment, but JLR always seems behind compared to the other luxury marques.
1230vani637.00
      02-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Also ordered Carbon Black now. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The head rests are always in the way. You cant move them out of the way, you have to remove them completely.
same complaints here on the sport. on the previous versions i owned the best part about the rear seat was the headrest went very low almost to the shoulder line... once they phased that out it the rear visibility suffered.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

My wife has a 2016 Full Size Range Rover Diesel (Not Sport) and I own a 2016 X5 M Sport Diesel. I know OP is asking about the Range Rover Sport (RRS) and not the full size but I have quite a bit of experience with RRS as I've owned 2 in the past. There is something about Range Rovers that is special that I can't really explain what it is. The seating position is one that no other brand in my opinion delivers. It is a very commanding seat and you feel very prim and proper in it, maybe its the British in it?!?

That said, even from the outside. There is something that just looks so good on both the RR and RRS, especially when configured with the nice 22" wheels. Our 2016 still has the older tech/infotainment system but we have ordered a 2017 for my wife to replace her 2016 and it should be here any day now and I am told (and have read online) the tech is finally where it should be, or at least closer to where it should be for a vehicle at this price point.

I love my X5 because it does everything well and I have no complaints. The tech in my X5 is far better but the truth is, I would have a RRS over my X5 just for the looks itself. While I do think my X5 looks good in all black, with the M Sport package. a RRS with the 22" wheels looks much cooler in my opinion. Here is a pic from this past weekend with my wife's 2016 Range Rover full size that I think totally captures what is so good looking about the RR line up.
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 3
1230vani637.00
iconoclast7257.50
      02-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedR8 View Post
That said, even from the outside. There is something that just looks so good on both the RR and RRS, especially when configured with the nice 22" wheels.
There are very little other cars that command the presence and stance of a [full size] Range Rover. In fact the Range Rover is probably one of the best in the luxury SUV market. The G-class is also very commanding, but the interior is way too cramped and the ride is so harsh it's impossible for long trips and this on the G500/G550. The G63/G65 is worse. The Cayenne, ML/GLE, Q7, and X5 are more in the sporty and crossover category and shouldn't really be shopped together with the Range Rover, and more with the RRS. But in my opinion although the RRS takes many of what's good on the full size model they had cut back on a lot of the exterior styling especially that rear end in their effort to cheapen the model.
1230vani637.00
iconoclast7257.50
      02-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
nutrient
Rep
Drives: X5 40d F15

I had the same dilemma and took about 6 months to decide. I really liked the RRS but I started seeing them everywhere. In the end I couldn't justify the full autobiography, options & stealth to distinguish it from the rest. So I opted for the BMW in Carbon Black, it was a cheaper deal with more bhp, so I loaded it with options and got the stealthy look I was after with black 469s and swapped out the titanium grille for a black one. Gives it quite a mean look.

Now I how I laugh at these premiere league wannabes in their RRS's! (except when I see a stealthy one)
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      02-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

I just went though this myself. I had a Supercharged Dynamic RRS on order.

Then I drove the X5 M Sport package. To me, there is no comparison. Now, to be fair, I drove a 2016 Supercharged, I have not yet driven the Dynamic version.

That said, the 2016 SC RRS compared to the X5 is a no brainer. The X5 is so much fun it is friggin crazy. Mine also has DHP so that might add to the incredible drive.

The X5 actually, IMHO drives like a car. The RRS drives like an SUV, and a big one. Don't get me wrong, the RRS is really a special car and it does drive very nicely. I loved it. But it also stuck out and caused a lot of attention.

The X5 does as well, but not nearly so much.

Looks wise, it depends on how each is set up. I personally don't love the X5 unless it is equipped with the M Sport package. I also don't love the base RRS. But when both are hooked up, both look fantastic. Someone posted that the RRS kind of looks like a Ford Explorer. That is kind of true IMHO.

I think they are both very attractive.

X5 has much better tech.

Similarly equipped, the X5 is about 10k less.
Appreciate 2
1230vani637.00
iconoclast7257.50
      02-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
There are very little other cars that command the presence and stance of a [full size] Range Rover.
It's funny you say that because they call that the "Command View" with the stadium seating in the rear and the tall height of the front seats. The vehicle itself is quite tall despite losing three inches from the L322 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
But in my opinion although the RRS takes many of what's good on the full size model they had cut back on a lot of the exterior styling especially that rear end in their effort to cheapen the model.
Agreed; The styling on the L494 is so bland. I would rather own a 2011 RRS-SC over a '14+ or if you want pre-DI then a 2009 while heavily dated it is just a very well rounded vehicle especially if only for local winter duty or shuffling kids to and from school/extra curricular activities.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
My wife has a 2016 Full Size Range Rover Diesel (Not Sport) and I own a 2016 X5 M Sport Diesel. I know OP is asking about the Range Rover Sport (RRS) and not the full size but I have quite a bit of experience with RRS as I've owned 2 in the past. There is something about Range Rovers that is special that I can't really explain what it is. The seating position is one that no other brand in my opinion delivers. It is a very commanding seat and you feel very prim and proper in it, maybe its the British in it?!?

That said, even from the outside. There is something that just looks so good on both the RR and RRS, especially when configured with the nice 22" wheels. Our 2016 still has the older tech/infotainment system but we have ordered a 2017 for my wife to replace her 2016 and it should be here any day now and I am told (and have read online) the tech is finally where it should be, or at least closer to where it should be for a vehicle at this price point.

I love my X5 because it does everything well and I have no complaints. The tech in my X5 is far better but the truth is, I would have a RRS over my X5 just for the looks itself. While I do think my X5 looks good in all black, with the M Sport package. a RRS with the 22" wheels looks much cooler in my opinion. Here is a pic from this past weekend with my wife's 2016 Range Rover full size that I think totally captures what is so good looking about the RR line up.
I was considering the RRS TD6 too. But what made me shy away is that similar diesel emissions equipment that is prone to failure on the X5 may also fail on the RR. Then on top of that, I heard the RR's simply are not that reliable.

As a past RR owner, have you had reliability issues? What's the longest you've owned of any RR model, or rather what's the oldest RR you've owned relative to the model year?

I get the sense a lot of people who lease RR's won't have problems, but the long-term owners generally will see much more stuff pop up. I suppose for me RR is just an unknown in terms of quality.

All that considered, I settled on a preowned E70 X5d with CPO.
      02-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I was considering the RRS TD6 too. But what made me shy away is that similar diesel emissions equipment that is prone to failure on the X5 may also fail on the RR. Then on top of that, I heard the RR's simply are not that reliable.

As a past RR owner, have you had reliability issues? What's the longest you've owned of any RR model, or rather what's the oldest RR you've owned relative to the model year?

I get the sense a lot of people who lease RR's won't have problems, but the long-term owners generally will see much more stuff pop up. I suppose for me RR is just an unknown in terms of quality.

All that considered, I settled on a preowned E70 X5d with CPO.

RR reliability is a hit or miss topic IMO. I have owned 3 and will be picking up our 4th next week.

1st - 2011 RR Sport Autobiography - Bought brand new - Owned for almost 2 years - No major issues, they had to replace the air bags twice due to faulty bags both times. No other issues whatsoever!

2nd- 2013 RR Sport (HSE, non supercharged V8)- Bought 1 year old- Owned for almost 2 years - No major issues, besides they had to replace something under the hood and the bolt broke as they were removing it and it took 2 weeks to get the bolt removed properly and replaced. No other issues whatsoever!

3rd - 2016 RR Diesel (aka Full Size, aka The Big Boy) - Bought brand new - Owned for almost a year and a half and being replaced next week with the exact car except a 2017 model with the highly needed new tech/infotainment system. Had some issues in the beginning, but it was sorted out by the service and no other issues or problems since. We loved this vehicle!!!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 3
Flying Ace4982.50
1230vani637.00
iconoclast7257.50
      02-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #20
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I owned similar models and they were effected by water pump recall, brake hose recall and rocking driver's seat and flickering surround view cameras. Nothing that was too crazy and resolved with one visit. 2017+ seem to be having software issues regarding the AEB and the new infotainment system.
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      02-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
RR reliability is a hit or miss topic IMO. I have owned 3 and will be picking up our 4th next week.

1st - 2011 RR Sport Autobiography - Bought brand new - Owned for almost 2 years - No major issues, they had to replace the air bags twice due to faulty bags both times. No other issues whatsoever!

2nd- 2013 RR Sport (HSE, non supercharged V8)- Bought 1 year old- Owned for almost 2 years - No major issues, besides they had to replace something under the hood and the bolt broke as they were removing it and it took 2 weeks to get the bolt removed properly and replaced. No other issues whatsoever!

3rd - 2016 RR Diesel (aka Full Size, aka The Big Boy) - Bought brand new - Owned for almost a year and a half and being replaced next week with the exact car except a 2017 model with the highly needed new tech/infotainment system. Had some issues in the beginning, but it was sorted out by the service and no other issues or problems since. We loved this vehicle!!!
I appreciate this recounting of your experience and it's helpful. But if anything, this simply speaks about owning a brand new RR and dumping it after 3 years when the warranty is up....

I'm more in the boat of buying a 3 year old RR, potentially out of warranty/CPO, that's what I'm most worried about. With BMWs, to me, it's a known quantity. I know where to buy cheaper OE parts, I know indy shops, I know how to do diagnostics or know people with tools to do diagnostics, etc...so I suppose, there's not enough info in this thread to make me feel any more comfortable going to a RR.

Don't get me wrong, I know BMWs are just as problematic. But I've had a fantastic experience owning my M3 and a so-so experience owning my X5d. All things considered, I'll probably be a lifelong BMW owner.

BTW, my replacement SUV will likely be a X5 40e.
      02-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
I was also interested in the RR but I keep my cars for more then 5 years. I agree it looks amazing but it's not very reliable so had to go X5! Gluck u can't go wrong with the RR that's if ur leasing it.
Appreciate 0