01-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #67
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Here are three trivia questions for everyone on our 35d motors:

1. How many turbos does our TwinTurbo Power engine have?

2. How many injector events are there per combustion cycle?

3. Which is more important for power relative to boost: PSI or MAF?
I'm going to try my luck here knowing almost nothing about engines and diesels. This actually has been quite informative, and I've learned some new info .

1) Trick question! It has two.

2) Multiple - I guess for our purposes - 4-5? Pre-injection, Main-injection, Close Post-injection, Late Post-injection.

3) From all the reading I've done...PSI means very little if the car can't handle it. Since most piggy backs are modifying and plugging into MAF, MAP, and TMAP sensors, my money is on MAF (mass air flow) sensor. This is the amount of air the engine is taking in. More air...more compression...more hp?

Please feel free to correct me so we can learn more. This is great info.
      01-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #68
gatordent
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:

I'm going to try my luck here knowing almost nothing about engines and diesels. This actually has been quite informative, and I've learned some new info .

1) Trick question! It has two.

2) Multiple - I guess for our purposes - 4-5? Pre-injection, Main-injection, Close Post-injection, Late Post-injection.

3) From all the reading I've done...PSI means very little if the car can't handle it. Since most piggy backs are modifying and plugging into MAF, MAP, and TMAP sensors, my money is on MAF (mass air flow) sensor. This is the amount of air the engine is taking in. More air...more compression...more hp?

Please feel free to correct me so we can learn more. This is great info.
Isn't it Twin Power Turbo? I will say one turbo with variable turbine.
No clue about the injection, I know it passes the piezo but not sure what happens after that.
The more cool air you can jam into the cylinder the more torque? PSI?

I was never any good at trivia
But I am learning a ton here.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #69
gatordent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordent View Post
Omar, has this been confirmed to work on the 35d?
I haven't even gotten to test it on my car yet. I just figured I'd throw it out here since you inquired about it . Test it and let me know?
I'll give it a go and let you know.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #70
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Nice - which reader do you use? I can use ScanTool and DashCommand to get basic stuff.

My Ford Powerstroke had a DPF but I removed it nearly 8 years ago. It did not affect horsepower by 10% though. I removed it to install a 4 inch turbo-back exhaust.

I'm back to F2, and not satisfied. I liked F3 but since I own the car, I'm not willing to stress the motor (with the additional heat) with that kind of timing regardless what RC tells me (within engine specs). I need this thing to last many years I'm OK with more fuel, but not so early in the combustion cycle.

Yea of curse we shuld take the words of RC about in tollerance whit some ease, tuners ar allways claiming all kind of stuff but in the end of the day its our cars :-)

I used my tourqe app to get the readings.

I can’t talk of the DPF giving that much power in person but a lot of people whit the f10/11 N57 are talking about at least 10+ hp when removing DPF.

On a another note I also experienced the burnt plastic smell that you were talking about, I accidently hade the setting 0/7 on the car for about 1 hour and i believe the high pressure pump got hot as hell, can’t say 100% because of all the parts and stuff i the motor, but I’m pretty shure, think the car went lean on fuel because of the settings and the smell was burned diesel?? Turned the car to F/6 setting and everything was fine but you should defiantly use the settings whit some caution

Do you Know how to accurate calculate kpa/bar turbo boost from the readings of kpa/bar from the intake? I have forgotten this.

Another question how do i read the EGR values in an accurate way, i mean i have the actual readings but i don’t really now how to use them.

Last edited by paicapo; 01-18-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #71
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

For the 35d F15 in the US, it uses a single VGT (variable geometry turbo) with a dual plane (see attached image taken from TurboDirect SA) compressor - multi-length vanes - every other vane is shorter than the next. The VGT is more efficient since the ECU controls the turbine's blades (the hot side) to spool up faster or when you call for more power (wide open throttle for example). At cruise, the engine needs much less air so the blades are adjusted to provide less boost even though the engine has higher RPM. Bi-turbos in series are not as efficient as a VGT.

BMW dumped piezo technology in favor of a very fast solenoid injector on a high pressure common rail fuel system releasing 6 separate injections per cycle. This has two advantages: finer spray pattern (high pressure) over 6 injections makes a quieter and more efficient engine (higher mpg), longer dwell time during the actual injection making more torque. This is why I am paranoid about messing with the timing on the chip. The injectors no longer provide one single event during a 360 degree rotation. It might be spread out over 10 degrees and screwing with this too much will really add heat to the engine.

By the way, I just read where BMW has electronically limited the torque in our engines to provider longer life on components, like drivetrain, cam chains, u-joints, etc. That's why the torque curve spikes early then plateau's out and holds it. Unless we re-program the ECU, we will never improve torque past the pre-determined amount set by BMW.

PSI means nothing without volume. Mass Air Flow (temp and volume) is what is important. For example, I can have a can of compressed air to clean my computer that is compressed to 60 psi, but it's being released through a 1 mm hole. Open the hole to 75 mm at 60 psi and now you're talking volume. Cool that volume via a good intercooler, making it denser (packed more air per given volume), and you've got real power opportunities.

I find this stuff interesting.

When I read in an earlier post that new cars have tens of millions of lines of code, I didn't think much of it. Now the deeper I go investigating BMW's tuning strategy by speaking with diesel mechanics and tuning engineers, the more I am amazed at the sophistication in our engines and why. Again, it is why I am cautious of chips simply modifying a signal and essentially fooling the ECU of the prevalent conditions.

Anyway, I am learning that BMW has this engine de-tuned for emissions, driving friendly power (so you don't snap your neck from a dead stop) and economy. I am learning the diesel engine in the F15 is really meant to cruise/tour. It's quiet (thanks to the injectors), great economy (thanks to the VGT, injectors, tuning), has power at cruise (thanks to injectors, tune strategy, VGT) and very comfortable.

My $.02...
Attached Images

01-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #72
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

42pilot is the trivia winner!

Also see attached technical information from BMW on N57TU engine.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf N57TU Engine.pdf (3.37 MB, 1957 views)
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #73
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post

Thanks very much for the attachment. Great info.

And how about that torque curve....

Dinan would be the perfect company to take this motor and make it fly with the way they actually tune. If they came out with it, I would be one of the first in line.
      01-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #74
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I have to say thanks again for the attachment. It is awesome and will save me some money when diagnosing problems when it's out of warranty.

I found it very interesting that my pickup's engine technology and the BMW's if very close. However, the BMW the level of electronics managing the engine is on a completely different level - actually, a different planet in a different galaxy.

What kills the motor's horsepower is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) circuit. I removed this in my pickup and ran a bypass to fool the ECU. Overall operating temps are down, economy is up, power is up, performance is up, but most likely at a cost of increased emissions.

If you have anything else like this for the F15, I would appreciate you sharing.

Thanks again.
      01-19-2015, 02:04 AM   #75
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
c3uo do you have such a file for the engine in the M50D?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #76
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
Yea of curse we shuld take the words of RC about in tollerance whit some ease, tuners ar allways claiming all kind of stuff but in the end of the day its our cars :-)

I used my tourqe app to get the readings.

I can’t talk of the DPF giving that much power in person but a lot of people whit the f10/11 N57 are talking about at least 10+ hp when removing DPF.

On a another note I also experienced the burnt plastic smell that you were talking about, I accidently hade the setting 0/7 on the car for about 1 hour and i believe the high pressure pump got hot as hell, can’t say 100% because of all the parts and stuff i the motor, but I’m pretty shure, think the car went lean on fuel because of the settings and the smell was burned diesel?? Turned the car to F/6 setting and everything was fine but you should defiantly use the settings whit some caution

Do you Know how to accurate calculate kpa/bar turbo boost from the readings of kpa/bar from the intake? I have forgotten this.

Another question how do i read the EGR values in an accurate way, i mean i have the actual readings but i don’t really now how to use them.

Regarding the 'burnt plastic smell', I am pretty sure this is coming from the diesel particle filter cleaning circle. When it cleans, it smells a bit like an overheated engine and you will hear a lot of 'ticking' sounds. Do not believe this is related to the RC chip nor settings. All diesels do this

JensM
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #77
gatordent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot

For the 35d F15 in the US, it uses a single VGT (variable geometry turbo) with a dual plane (see attached image taken from TurboDirect SA) compressor - multi-length vanes - every other vane is shorter than the next. The VGT is more efficient since the ECU controls the turbine's blades (the hot side) to spool up faster or when you call for more power (wide open throttle for example). At cruise, the engine needs much less air so the blades are adjusted to provide less boost even though the engine has higher RPM. Bi-turbos in series are not as efficient as a VGT.

BMW dumped piezo technology in favor of a very fast solenoid injector on a high pressure common rail fuel system releasing 6 separate injections per cycle. This has two advantages: finer spray pattern (high pressure) over 6 injections makes a quieter and more efficient engine (higher mpg), longer dwell time during the actual injection making more torque. This is why I am paranoid about messing with the timing on the chip. The injectors no longer provide one single event during a 360 degree rotation. It might be spread out over 10 degrees and screwing with this too much will really add heat to the engine.

By the way, I just read where BMW has electronically limited the torque in our engines to provider longer life on components, like drivetrain, cam chains, u-joints, etc. That's why the torque curve spikes early then plateau's out and holds it. Unless we re-program the ECU, we will never improve torque past the pre-determined amount set by BMW.

PSI means nothing without volume. Mass Air Flow (temp and volume) is what is important. For example, I can have a can of compressed air to clean my computer that is compressed to 60 psi, but it's being released through a 1 mm hole. Open the hole to 75 mm at 60 psi and now you're talking volume. Cool that volume via a good intercooler, making it denser (packed more air per given volume), and you've got real power opportunities.

I find this stuff interesting.

When I read in an earlier post that new cars have tens of millions of lines of code, I didn't think much of it. Now the deeper I go investigating BMW's tuning strategy by speaking with diesel mechanics and tuning engineers, the more I am amazed at the sophistication in our engines and why. Again, it is why I am cautious of chips simply modifying a signal and essentially fooling the ECU of the prevalent conditions.

Anyway, I am learning that BMW has this engine de-tuned for emissions, driving friendly power (so you don't snap your neck from a dead stop) and economy. I am learning the diesel engine in the F15 is really meant to cruise/tour. It's quiet (thanks to the injectors), great economy (thanks to the VGT, injectors, tuning), has power at cruise (thanks to injectors, tune strategy, VGT) and very comfortable.

My $.02...
Thanks 42pilot for the great info. I'm currently on F/3 will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #78
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks 42pilot for the great info. I'm currently on F/3 will keep you all posted.
F/6 Here and all is good
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #79
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM View Post
Regarding the 'burnt plastic smell', I am pretty sure this is coming from the diesel particle filter cleaning circle. When it cleans, it smells a bit like an overheated engine and you will hear a lot of 'ticking' sounds. Do not believe this is related to the RC chip nor settings. All diesels do this

JensM
I have read about this as well but I don't think that's it because the dpf is on the opposite side of the high pressure pump and the smell and heat was definitely from the right side of the engine standing facing the engine bay, also the fuel rail was hot hot hot but I could be wrong smell and stuff travels in a engine bay were it sometimes can be difficult to determine the source
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #80
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:

Is this doc stating that the engine tune for a 535D or 335D is the same as our current US X5d's and it could be done?

Extra few horses at about 50mph is where I feel the most lag compared to my 535GT.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #81
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Is this doc stating that the engine tune for a 535D or 335D is the same as our current US X5d's and it could be done?

Extra few horses at about 50mph is where I feel the most lag compared to my 535GT.

Thanks!
Models
Engine code Displacement Power, Torque@rpm Redline (rpm) Year
N57D30U0 2,993 cc (2.993 L; 182.6 cu in) 204 PS (150 kW; 201 hp)@4000, 450 N·m (330 lb·ft)@1750-2500 5000 2010

N57D30O0 2,993 cc (2.993 L; 182.6 cu in) 245 PS (180 kW; 242 hp)@4000, 540 N·m (400 lb·ft)@1750-3000 5000 2008

N57D30O1 2,993 cc (2.993 L; 182.6 cu in) 258 PS (190 kW; 254 hp)@4000, 560 N·m (410 lb·ft)@1500-3000 5400 2011

N57D30T0 2,993 cc (2.993 L; 182.6 cu in) 306 PS (225 kW; 302 hp)@4400, 600 N·m (440 lb·ft)@1500-2500 5000 2009

N57D30T1 2,993 cc (2.993 L; 182.6 cu in) 313 PS (230 kW; 309 hp)@4400, 630 N·m (460 lb·ft)@1500-2500 5200 2011

N57S[2] 2,993 cc (2.993 L; 182.6 cu in) 381 PS (280 kW; 376 hp)@4000-4400, 740 N·m (550 lb·ft)@2000-3000 5400 2012
      01-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #82
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Omar, has this been confirmed to work on the 35d?
I just coded it and it works on mine. That said, I have DHP so I did not need to code for Sports +. I already had it. After I activated the Sports Transmission, i went to launch control and it was already active. This makes me wonder if I did not try Launch control properly before coding. Accordingly, Launch Control may be active with DHP in addition to the M line.

That said, if you want launch control, these codes work.

My question is now if the Sports transmission coding will change my shifting.

Regardless, Omar, you should add these to the cheat sheet. At least the Sports Tran and launch code. I cannot yet confirm if the Sport Transmission changes anything yet.
      01-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #83
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
F/6 Here and all is good
Is the F setting impacting your MPG at all?

Is the jump from E to F noticeable?

Thanks for testing this for all of us!
      01-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #84
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Have you seen any significant change in you mpg going from E to F?
      01-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #85
CERS 1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Just code it in to work:

Enable Launch Control: requires Sport Auto Transmission coding below
1) EGS / Applikation_LC / LC / nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Enable Sport Auto Transmission:
1) EGS / Sportschalter / nicht_aktiv to aktiv (Part 1)
2) EGS / Sportschalter_alt / nicht_aktiv to aktiv (Part 2)

Enable Sport +:
This enables Sport + mode as a whole:
1) ICM / ICMKOD_B_SPORTLENKUNG / change nicht_aktiv to aktiv

This enables Sport + image to show on your instrument cluster (Kombi):
1) KOMBI / FDS_MENUE_TEXT_1/2/3/4 / change menue_4 to menue_3
2) KOMBI / FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_1/2/3/4 / change menue_4 to menue_3
@opasha Can you elaborate on this feature a little more?

1. How does launch mode work on the X5 50i?
2. What RPM will it launch?
3. What does enabling the Sport Auto Transmission do?
- Perhaps this is not for US X5's as I have both Sport and Sport+ already.

Thanks.

Last edited by CERS 1; 01-19-2015 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Connect the post to a user
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #86
CERS 1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

Looks as if only 2 members have the BMS tune for the 50i and one of them is plugged into his couch (LMAO @ this BTW).

I know the install on the BMS is much faster, its slightly cheaper and its has dials on each piggy back like the S2=X setting on RaceChip for adjustments.

Just trying to see if we can band together for some side-by-side comparisons on the 50i?

Does either piggyback mate to the vehicle or can you transfer them to another car in the future? Meaning if I use it for 2 years and turn in my lease, can I pull it off and sell it to another member for a couple bucks and it work their X5?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #87
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CERS 1 View Post
Can you elaborate on this feature a little more?

1. How does launch mode work on the X5 50i?
2. What RPM will it launch?
3. What does enabling the Sport Auto Transmission do?
- Perhaps this is not for US X5's as I have both Sport and Sport+ already.

Thanks.
1. Same way as the others. Put in Sports + mode. Put in drive and place shifter to left in S1 mode. Push hard on the brake all the way down. Push the accelerator all the way down and the Launch control flag should appear. Release the brake within 3 seconds and the car will take off.

2. Not sure. It launches upon the release of the brake but it is fairly high.

3. Not sure unless it shifts the transmission to M line characterisitics. Still waiting to confirm.

4. This is for US models. Comes standard in M Line and possibly included with DHP as well.
      01-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #88
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CERS 1 View Post
Looks as if only 2 members have the BMS tune for the 50i and one of them is plugged into his couch (LMAO @ this BTW).

I know the install on the BMS is much faster, its slightly cheaper and its has dials on each piggy back like the S2=X setting on RaceChip for adjustments.

Just trying to see if we can band together for some side-by-side comparisons on the 50i?

Does either piggyback mate to the vehicle or can you transfer them to another car in the future? Meaning if I use it for 2 years and turn in my lease, can I pull it off and sell it to another member for a couple bucks and it work their X5?
The RC can be easily removed and sold. It can also be reconfigured for other cars.