BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #23
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

Thanks for the info, I'm on the outskirts of London so will give those companies a try
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:54 AM   #24
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Congratulations, nice colour!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #25
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
I'm insured with Elephant but same as GeeRam, living in Greater London, the premium is quite high (£833)

I went to these price comparison sites and was being quoted £1200+.....

(I'm 41 with a clean licence been driving since 17, and have 16 years no claims so thats shocking)
I'm over 50, and best quote I've got is £850, but some were well over £2500.....

The joys of living in London and trying to insure the 6th most stolen car in the UK
      02-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #26
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Service Pack?

Thawke,

Did you buy the BMW service pack with your X6?

If so, did they only offer you the new 3yr/36k one or as you ordered the car before 31st Dec, did they honor the old 5yr/50k pack?

I'm seeing differing reports that some dealers are honoring the old pack if the car was ordered before 31st Dec, but my dealer is sticking with the new 3yr or nothing, despite me ordering car back in Nov.
The new 3 yr pack is worthless really, but I'd buy the old 5yr if offered.
      02-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #27
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Thawke,

If so, did they only offer you the new 3yr/36k one or as you ordered the car before 31st Dec, did they honor the old 5yr/50k pack?

I'm seeing differing reports that some dealers are honoring the old pack if the car was ordered before 31st Dec, but my dealer is sticking with the new 3yr or nothing, despite me ordering car back in Nov.
I didn't buy the service pack no, because I had bought the Service pack on my M135i when I bought it in 2015 and on changing the car this year realised I had spent £500 on a 5 year service pack and not used it (as the M135i hadn't even come up for it's first service yet)

So this time round decided to just pay for the service when it's needed, because the mileage I do, it wont be for another 2 years.

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #28
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Looks good.

I noticed there are far more X6 50i than X6 35i on the road. Always seemed interesting.
      02-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #29
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Thawke,

Hi GeeRam,
I insisted when I place my order back in December that I had to have the 5 year service pack as part of the deal regardless of the car being registered in March 17. They agreed and added it to my order confirmation in writing.
I do around 14k miles per annum so I thought this would be worth it bearing in mind how much BMW charge for each service. I think I paid £575 for this.
      02-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #30
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Was going to avoid having a separate thread for this and just post in the random shot of the day thread, but noticed it was for X5s ? so can we post X6's in there also ?

Anyway, very pleasant experience, picked up the brand new car today (Build completed 11th Jan 2017), so far very pleased with it, as its my first "large" car will take a bit of getting used to coming from the 2015 F20 M135i as my previous car, but am pleased with the upgrade.

Taken 1 Month roughly from build complete to being picked up, so that's very good from BMW, as have read some horror stories with wait times.

Anyway....

...thought I'd share some photos for those who would like (sorry iPhone quality)

Walked in to this

and

then after the unveiling

Showing off the M performance splitter here

and lastly

So how was your first weekend with the new vehicle?
Was everything to your expectations or were these exceeded.
And what new things have you learnt that would help expectant fathers like myself
Be great to have an update from you.
Cheers
      02-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #31
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The car has exceeded expectations, definitely.

I didn't expect the car to handle the way it does but feels more planted than you'd expect from something that large, and when you stick it into Sports mode...... oh my god does it shift, the throttle response is sharper, the steering tightens up and the car feels like a sports saloon.

Wasn't expecting the acceleration from the Diesel (I got the xDrive40d (318BHP)) to be quite as much as I thought ... but it shifts, and the power just keeps coming....so I would love to see what your M50d will do, I am absolutely certain you will love it.

It's also so quiet inside (with the windows closed) considering you normally hear the clackety clack of a diesel engine in other cars.

The Multifunctional Cockpit (think its called Digital Cockpit now on the new configurator) is also so nice to use, especially when it changes according to which mode you're in, so I would highly recommend that to anyone if they were still ordering one.

Took it down some windy lanes in the country, took it on the Motorway, it just glides effortlessly and feels like whatever speed you're doing, it can still go up another level for whatever reason (quick overtake, etc...)

They have also really outdone themselves with the interior, not sure if that's because I am used to a 1-series before, but I have had Audis and Mercedes cars in the last 5 years and this is a whole new level of interior.

Currently ordered a Dashcam for it, as I felt so vulnerable when driving around seeing some of the idiotic driving that seems ot be prevailing on our roads these days, so that should arrive tomorrow when I install it, then I'll be more comfortable driving about, but yeah, very happy with the car so far.

My one downside is that I get so paranoid leaving it in carparks now (Supermarkets etc..) as I am so worried about it being keyed, or having scuffs due to people going into and out of parking spaces next to me, so my food shopping habits have resorted to late night shopping at 24hour supermarkets to have lots of empty spaces to park it into with no one around me to cause any problems

That's about it really, keep coming up with all sorts of excuses with the missues to go out, I am sure she may start to think I'm having an affair

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #32
breal1028
Rep
Drives: X5 M4 21

Very sharp!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #33
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The car has exceeded expectations, definitely.

I didn't expect the car to handle the way it does but feels more planted than you'd expect from something that large, and when you stick it into Sports mode...... oh my god does it shift, the throttle response is sharper, the steering tightens up and the car feels like a sports saloon.

Wasn't expecting the acceleration from the Diesel (I got the xDrive40d (318BHP)) to be quite as much as I thought ... but it shifts, and the power just keeps coming....so I would love to see what your M50d will do, I am absolutely certain you will love it.

It's also so quiet inside (with the windows closed) considering you normally hear the clackety clack of a diesel engine in other cars.

The Multifunctional Cockpit (think its called Digital Cockpit now on the new configurator) is also so nice to use, especially when it changes according to which mode you're in, so I would highly recommend that to anyone if they were still ordering one.

Took it down some windy lanes in the country, took it on the Motorway, it just glides effortlessly and feels like whatever speed you're doing, it can still go up another level for whatever reason (quick overtake, etc...)

They have also really outdone themselves with the interior, not sure if that's because I am used to a 1-series before, but I have had Audis and Mercedes cars in the last 5 years and this is a whole new level of interior.

Currently ordered a Dashcam for it, as I felt so vulnerable when driving around seeing some of the idiotic driving that seems ot be prevailing on our roads these days, so that should arrive tomorrow when I install it, then I'll be more comfortable driving about, but yeah, very happy with the car so far.

My one downside is that I get so paranoid leaving it in carparks now (Supermarkets etc..) as I am so worried about it being keyed, or having scuffs due to people going into and out of parking spaces next to me, so my food shopping habits have resorted to late night shopping at 24hour supermarkets to have lots of empty spaces to park it into with no one around me to cause any problems

That's about it really, keep coming up with all sorts of excuses with the missues to go out, I am sure she may start to think I'm having an affair
That's great to hear that you are enjoying the ride.
What's your mpg as that's my only concern when I get mine?
With your new dashcam how are you going to connect yours up to power? I don't particularly what wires daggling down from mine.
Good write up by the way.
      02-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #34
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
That's great to hear that you are enjoying the ride.
What's your mpg as that's my only concern when I get mine?
With your new dashcam how are you going to connect yours up to power? I don't particularly what wires daggling down from mine.
Good write up by the way.
The MPG so far is around the 30's on average, but I'm running in the engine so varying the rev's and every now and then giving it some wellie up till 3.5K RPM then holding back again.

Such a pain having to do this for the next 1200 miles, but the ritual has (touch wood) kept my engines trouble free for the last 10 years or so.

The Dashcam is in, wire went into the Rear view mirror housing, then up to the headliner and around the edge of the car - all hidden - into the socket in the trunk, can take some photos if you're interested but took me 10 mins all in all was no bother.

You could wire it up to the fuse box etc... but I don't really want to tamper with any of that and much prefer leaving the car as untouched as possible (so didn't remove any trim or anything) all the cabling fitted nicely by just pushing it under trim or under the door surrounds.

Only want it recording whilst driving, not fussed about parking, so the socket in the trunk is ideal as it will hardly ever be used for anything else.

Power goes out after about 8 mins (didn't count but roughly) after you lock the car and walk away so no risk of draining the battery.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #35
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The MPG so far is around the 30's on average, but I'm running in the engine so varying the rev's and every now and then giving it some wellie up till 3.5K RPM then holding back again.

Such a pain having to do this for the next 1200 miles, but the ritual has (touch wood) kept my engines trouble free for the last 10 years or so.

The Dashcam is in, wire went into the Rear view mirror housing, then up to the headliner and around the edge of the car - all hidden - into the socket in the trunk, can take some photos if you're interested but took me 10 mins all in all was no bother.

You could wire it up to the fuse box etc... but I don't really want to tamper with any of that and much prefer leaving the car as untouched as possible (so didn't remove any trim or anything) all the cabling fitted nicely by just pushing it under trim or under the door surrounds.

Only want it recording whilst driving, not fussed about parking, so the socket in the trunk is ideal as it will hardly ever be used for anything else.

Power goes out after about 8 mins (didn't count but roughly) after you lock the car and walk away so no risk of draining the battery.
Photos would be great to see where you have hidden the cable
What length cable did you use as my existing cable must be around 2m long?
Cheers
      02-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #36
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The cable came with the Dashcam but I would say either 2 or 3 meters, I'll check later when I get back
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #37
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Very nice.

Best colour (I'm biased)
      02-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #38
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I just had another look at your pics and they make me feel better about ordering space grey. I have been have been having second thoughts on ordering it in SG and whether I should have gone black instead.

Good to hear your thoughts on the road noise, I didnt get much of a test drive in one before placing my order so wasnt sure what to expect.

My planned collection is next week so will post back when I collect it. In the meantime its been good to read your feedback to pass the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #39
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
My planned collection is next week so will post back when I collect it.
What date did yours go Status 9000 depart factory...? Yours and mine could be on the same boat?

There's potentially 3 of us with collections dates next week
      02-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What date did yours go Status 9000 depart factory...? Yours and mine could be on the same boat?

There's potentially 3 of us with collections dates next week
It was status 9000 on 18/01/17. I'm not sure where its at now though, i'mm meeting my dealer later today so will have more info then
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #41
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was status 9000 on 18/01/17. I'm not sure where its at now though, i'mm meeting my dealer later today so will have more info then
Crikey, that was over 2 weeks before mine. Maybe yours was waiting for quite a while at Charleston docks as well...?

Or had you agreed to wait for new reg anyway and its been stashed somewhere for a week or so? Dealers don't usually like doing that a lot of them don't have the space to keep cars. Mine doesn't and wants me to collect it as soon as its ready...
The dealer I bought my 135i from 6 years ago, had loads of space to keep stuff, and I think I had to put off collecting it for a week due to work at the time...wasn't an issue for them.
      02-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #42
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Crikey, that was over 2 weeks before mine. Maybe yours was waiting for quite a while at Charleston docks as well...?

Or had you agreed to wait for new reg anyway and its been stashed somewhere for a week or so? Dealers don't usually like doing that a lot of them don't have the space to keep cars. Mine doesn't and wants me to collect it as soon as its ready...
The dealer I bought my 135i from 6 years ago, had loads of space to keep stuff, and I think I had to put off collecting it for a week due to work at the time...wasn't an issue for them.
When i was ordering I was advised that the build slot they had would deliver late Feb or early March which suited me well. We agreed March delivery for the new registration. I have not been advised if my car has arrived yet and there has been no pressure from my dealer to take an earlier delivery either. But then my dealers updates have been poor in general. Ive ordered from Arden Maidstone and dont think they have much space
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #43
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ive ordered from Arden Maidstone and dont think they have much space
You're just down the road from me, *waves from north west Kent*..*cough* *not really London* cough*

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #44
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're just down the road from me, *waves from north west Kent*..*cough* *not really London* cough*

There's 4 of us on here from London area all expecting cars within a few weeks, and it turns out 2 of us are within a few miles of each other in North West London (myself and X5M50D) and two of you are close by in the diagonally opposite side in the South East London/NW Kent area.

We'll need to find somewhere around the middle ground for a meet up in April/May