BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #45
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Thanks for the feedback. If I understand DHP correctly - it makes comfort more comfortable (softer) and Sport+ more performance oriented. would you agree? Only odd thing with the 50i I am picking up (with DHP) it has 19" Pirelli all seasons. So all the great suspension - but if the rubber on the road is just average...not sure how that will work out.
Not sure where you live, but if you experience cold snowy winters then keep the stock wheels and tires for winter setup and get some nice 20" or 22" wheels with summer or all season tires and call it a day If you live in warmer climate regions then sell the 19"s and use the money towards a new wheel
      02-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #46
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Exactly why I passed on the 5.0. I had an x5m before my x6 3.5 and my next car will be an x6m. The 5.0 is a waste because it costs almost as much as the M without any of the performance upgrades that come with the M.
No doubt the X5M has wonderful performance upgrades, but you pay for those upgrades. I stuck with the 50i. All the power I will really ever need and then some (but, fair warning, I frequently use eco pro mode just to see how high I can get the mileage - 20.5 mpg this morning on the way to work). Plus, you can't get the ACC stop and go or ceramic controls in the X5M. Those two items I just can't do without. I use the ACC every day and I love the feel and look of the ceramic controls. My X5 has 28,000 miles on it and no problems with the engine. The only problem was a leaking seal on the active steering (probably why BMW discontinued that option) which was repaired under warranty. I have DHP and will never have a car without it now. Makes the X5 feel like a rock. Love it.
Appreciate 3
rntaylor137.00
iconoclast7257.50
1230vani637.00
      02-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
The 5.0 is a waste because it costs almost as much as the M without any of the performance upgrades that come with the M.
Which performance upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #48
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
The 5.0 is a waste because it costs almost as much as the M without any of the performance upgrades that come with the M.
Which performance upgrades?
I was referring to the usual refinements that come with buying an M over the fastest non-M version of the same car (M engine, M suspension, interior refinements, etc). For example, I see people say that the 435 is a lot of car and almost the same as an M4. I say that is a bunch of crap. I put 33k miles on my 2014 434 m sport before I traded it for my 2015 m4 that now has 44k miles on it. The two cars could not be more different and the performance spread is blatantly obvious. My experience with a v8 x5 and the x5m left me with the same impression. However, I do understand that the extra performance of the M is not for everyone. In fact, the M magic is lost on most people and the only people that truly appreciate the M's are part of the enthusiast community.
iconoclast7257.50
      02-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #49
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
Quote:
Exactly why I passed on the 5.0. I had an x5m before my x6 3.5 and my next car will be an x6m. The 5.0 is a waste because it costs almost as much as the M without any of the performance upgrades that come with the M.
No doubt the X5M has wonderful performance upgrades, but you pay for those upgrades. I stuck with the 50i. All the power I will really ever need and then some (but, fair warning, I frequently use eco pro mode just to see how high I can get the mileage - 20.5 mpg this morning on the way to work). Plus, you can't get the ACC stop and go or ceramic controls in the X5M. Those two items I just can't do without. I use the ACC every day and I love the feel and look of the ceramic controls. My X5 has 28,000 miles on it and no problems with the engine. The only problem was a leaking seal on the active steering (probably why BMW discontinued that option) which was repaired under warranty. I have DHP and will never have a car without it now. Makes the X5 feel like a rock. Love it.
I understand your logic. I vastly prefer M cars versus the non-M brethren and, to me, they are worth the price bump. However, the v8 x5/x6 are nice. I opted for a 3.5 x6 this time around because the v8 price was, in my personal opinion, too close to my desired build x6m. A 15k price savings, to me, is not enough to get me to pass on the the M.
iconoclast7257.50
      02-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #50
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Quote:
Well damn, don't I feel like sh*t now. I have a 550ix and X5 50i.

I'm going to need to step my game up and get a M5 and X5M! #goals
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #51
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Quote:
Well damn, don't I feel like sh*t now. I have a 550ix and X5 50i.

I'm going to need to step my game up and get a M5 and X5M! #goals
I did not mean it like that and you have two very nice rides. I don't see owning an M as a status thing. I simply like M cars for the performance metric that they offer. I realize that many people buy M's for status, but that is not me. I could care less what other people think of my car. Also, I live in sunny South Florida with great weather and roads. Some states are just not ideal for M ownership. I am originally from D.C. and that is a place where I would never own an M. The climate and small roads make an M a ridiculous choice.
iconoclast7257.50
rntaylor137.00
      02-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #52
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to the usual refinements that come with buying an M over the fastest non-M version of the same car (M engine, M suspension, interior refinements, etc).
Outside of the seats and the bump in power you get essentially all the same bits and pieces you would in the X5M when equipped with all the options. In fact the X5 has options that are not available on the X5M if you are looking for Adaptive Cruise and all those goodies that go with it along with the ceramic accents but I agree with you on most other products there is very little shared between the M and Non-M counterpart.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #53
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I would spend that money on a decent E70 X5M and call it a day.
      02-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #54
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

On the E70 X5M you get the active seat (faux ass-massage) if optioned with the comfort seat package and you get traditional steering. Two factors to consider however finding a very clean low mileage well maintained E70 X5M (in this area) is going to be difficult. Secondly BMW dealers have not been allowed to sell them until a solution for the airbag recall has been made a available and the vehicle issue is resolved (unless something new has changed their status).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #55
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
I understand your logic. I vastly prefer M cars versus the non-M brethren and, to me, they are worth the price bump. However, the v8 x5/x6 are nice. I opted for a 3.5 x6 this time around because the v8 price was, in my personal opinion, too close to my desired build x6m. A 15k price savings, to me, is not enough to get me to pass on the the M.
It's a 50i, with a 4.4 liter and a 35i with a 3.0 liter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #56
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
On the E70 X5M you get the active seat (faux ass-massage) if optioned with the comfort seat package and you get traditional steering. Two factors to consider however finding a very clean low mileage well maintained E70 X5M (in this area) is going to be difficult. Secondly BMW dealers have not been allowed to sell them until a solution for the airbag recall has been made a available and the vehicle issue is resolved (unless something new has changed their status).
surprise surprise, CPO and dealer lot cars are getting the airbag fixes earlier than customer cars. So if you buy from a BMW dealer, you'll get one with the fix. Some customers have had success getting theirs fixed earlier when they bring their car in for other CPO warranty services.

Not sure how hard it is to find a butt massager, but you can find one at your local seedy street corner for about $80/hr.

Seriously though, E70 X5M for this money...with some change left over. If it's tech you want, you can do a NBT retro for about $3k.
      02-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #57
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Quote:
I did not mean it like that and you have two very nice rides. I don't see owning an M as a status thing. I simply like M cars for the performance metric that they offer. I realize that many people buy M's for status, but that is not me. I could care less what other people think of my car. Also, I live in sunny South Florida with great weather and roads. Some states are just not ideal for M ownership. I am originally from D.C. and that is a place where I would never own an M. The climate and small roads make an M a ridiculous choice.
Yea you are absolutely correct about the DMV area! To be perfectly honest my vehicles are a little overkill for this area. Our previous X5 (E70 35i) was even more than enough power for this area, but BMWs offer more than just power, so what are we (BMW fans) to do! haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #58
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Not sure where you live, but if you experience cold snowy winters then keep the stock wheels and tires for winter setup and get some nice 20" or 22" wheels with summer or all season tires and call it a day If you live in warmer climate regions then sell the 19"s and use the money towards a new wheel
Exactly what I plan to do - mount snows on these 19's and buy new summers in spring of 2018. Maybe better availability by then as more of the x5 are coming off lease and people are starting to actually own them
      02-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #59
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
surprise surprise, CPO and dealer lot cars are getting the airbag fixes earlier than customer cars. So if you buy from a BMW dealer, you'll get one with the fix.
Ha, that is comical. A short while back the Dealers were furious that big brother at HQ but a stop-sale on the effected vehicles. A dealer I know was taking them in from a local BMW dealer just so they could get them off their lots. A really nice one tempted me to get back into an E70 X5M. 2013 Original Owner, every single option white/black. 12k miles. Unfortunately warranty was expiring and that is not a car I would own out of warranty based on my experience on it while it was "new" and still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #60
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
surprise surprise, CPO and dealer lot cars are getting the airbag fixes earlier than customer cars. So if you buy from a BMW dealer, you'll get one with the fix.
Ha, that is comical. A short while back the Dealers were furious that big brother at HQ but a stop-sale on the effected vehicles. A dealer I know was taking them in from a local BMW dealer just so they could get them off their lots. A really nice one tempted me to get back into an E70 X5M. 2013 Original Owner, every single option white/black. 12k miles. Unfortunately warranty was expiring and that is not a car I would own out of warranty based on my experience on it while it was "new" and still under warranty.
I think you made a wise choice. A while back cmyx6go and I were talking about how she misses her E71 x6m and that it was a more fun and engaging car than her current x6m. She also misses the seats from the E71 and feels that the current multi-contour seat is big step down from the old ones (my wife has the exact same complaint). Basically, she was sorry she did not buy the E71 at the end of the lease. However, she did agree that the questionable reliability of that chassis made it a good move to dump it and move on. That is exactly what I did even though I did love my E70 x5m.
iconoclast7257.50
      02-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #61
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Picked up my new (to me) x5 50i yesterday. 300 mile drive home. Wow - can this machine cruise.
Speed is now just a number in the windshield- meaning I effortlessly accelerated from 82-102 - and there is absolutely no drama. No wind noise, nothing ... I do need to get used to lag though - push the throttle wait a second and then hold on.
Also- ACC is pretty amazing. I wish the follow distance in the 'closest' setting was calibrated to follow a little closer - but not a big deal. I'll need to figure out how to use it in stop and go traffic jam.
HUD is brilliant with ACC. There are a few situations where you need to help ACC think - but for its intended purpose it is flawless.
Several things I need to figure out - (is not displaying text messages), etc.
lastly, B& O system is very good but not great. Was hoping for the 'warm' sound that some high end home systems provide. Could be a car environment does not allow for that. Imaging is the best I've heard. But at volume it does get a little tiring after a while.
Headlight w auto high beam will be a huge safety enhancement for me (always on dark two lanes).
Night vision is cool but would not order it - will be great in certain situations but that may be 1-2
Times a month. The image is 4:3 vs the widescreen display - not sure why they don't use the whole display.
Will be spendling a lot of time reviewing the "what I learned about my x5" forum.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      02-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #62
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
ACC won't work in stop and go traffic. There is a minimum speed you need to be going to turn it on. I think it is 25mph.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #63
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Congrats on the great choice!
      02-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #64
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
ACC won't work in stop and go traffic. There is a minimum speed you need to be going to turn it on. I think it is 25mph.
That's incorrect. That's why the option is called "ACC Stop & Go". I use it probably twice a week in my X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #65
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Picked up my new (to me) x5 50i yesterday. 300 mile drive home. Wow - can this machine cruise.
Speed is now just a number in the windshield- meaning I effortlessly accelerated from 82-102 - and there is absolutely no drama. No wind noise, nothing ... I do need to get used to lag though - push the throttle wait a second and then hold on.
Also- ACC is pretty amazing. I wish the follow distance in the 'closest' setting was calibrated to follow a little closer - but not a big deal. I'll need to figure out how to use it in stop and go traffic jam.
HUD is brilliant with ACC. There are a few situations where you need to help ACC think - but for its intended purpose it is flawless.
Several things I need to figure out - (is not displaying text messages), etc.
lastly, B& O system is very good but not great. Was hoping for the 'warm' sound that some high end home systems provide. Could be a car environment does not allow for that. Imaging is the best I've heard. But at volume it does get a little tiring after a while.
Headlight w auto high beam will be a huge safety enhancement for me (always on dark two lanes).
Night vision is cool but would not order it - will be great in certain situations but that may be 1-2
Times a month. The image is 4:3 vs the widescreen display - not sure why they don't use the whole display.
Will be spendling a lot of time reviewing the "what I learned about my x5" forum.
It's easy. When you're stopped, set it and it will hold the vehicle stationary. You can take your foot off the brake. When it's clear to go, the "follow distance" lines on your dash will flash in sequence, from bottom to top. A light tap of the gas and you're off. It'll stop you fully when traffic does, or vary your speed as traffic moves.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #66
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Traffic Jam Assist needs to be retrofitted for NAR but ACC will work in traffic. I use it weekly.
Appreciate 0