BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2023, 10:53 AM   #1
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

A couple BimmerCode options don't seem to work

I have “turn off iDrive system when door open” and “unlock vehicle when engine switched off” both activated in BimmerCode. The doors never unlock automatically and the iDrive is hit or miss. Sometimes it turns off and other times it doesn’t. What could cause this?
      06-02-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The shut down of iDrive (and other systems) when the door is opened may be hit or miss if your final shut down/exit sequence varies.

For example, if you open the door before or undo the seatbelt before pressing the START button…the vehicle may not shut down when you open the door.

Take note of when it does and doesn’t shut down…and it may begin to make sense to you as to when the feature works….or the sequence required to make it work.

The f15 unlock all doors is not what some think it will be…like it won’t be like a GM product where all the door pins move upward and unlock when the gearshift lever is put into park.

BMWs for a long time had a 2 fold unlock procedure where one pull unlocks the door and the 2nd pull opens the door. When you code the feature you did for unlock upon shut down…this usually means that the doors will unlock & open with one pull (from the inside). The doors will still be locked from the outside (which is a safety feature to prevent an unsavory person from opening the door from the outside when you shut the vehicle down).

If you need the all the doors to unlock because you need to retrieve something from the back seats or the cargo area….then you need to train yourself to press the central UNLOCK button that is right next to the door handle…OR…press the button to open the tailgate…OR…keep the fob on your person so that the doors or tailgate will open with comfort access if you attempt to open from the exterior of the vehicle when everything has been locked

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-02-2023 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 08:36 PM   #3
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I guess I don’t remember the doors still being locked from the outside. Maybe I’m thinking of my f30 which actually fully unlocked the doors, but the car didn’t have double locking either.

Thanks!
      06-03-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
X5guyinRI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xdrive50i

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
I have the same issue. I’ve coded doors to unlock (using BimmerCode) when I shut down the vehicle, and it doesn’t work. I see another use had a complex explanation that (while helpful) seems very BMW in its complexity. I want a simple “unlock the doors when I shut the car” - like so many other cars have by default. I have resigned to pressing the central unlock anytime I shut it down, so I can access the trunk, the back door, etc. Another one of those things that seems so silly it can’t be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 11:27 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you have your remote fob on you…if you are outside the vehicle… unlocking the back doors or tailgate shouldn’t be a problem if you have comfort access.

Or, if in most times you don’t need your doors to be locked…simply turn off auto lock in iDrive. Then the times that you do feel you want the doors locked…simply use the central lock button on the door. And that would be the only time you’d need to use the button again to UNLOCK the rear doors or tailgate.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0