BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
abbass974
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35i M-Sport

Battery problem

For some reason, my battery fully drained overnight yesterday, I jumpstarted it.
It worked, I had an engine light. I went and frove for an hour.
Today, I notice the battery is also fully drained. I tried to jumpstart it again.
At first, I could hear the engine trying to start, but now I only get a clicking sound coming from what I believe is the starter solenoid.

Any ideas how I can jumpstart it to bring it to dealer ?
My neighbor is ready to boost it using it's car and cable..is that a good idea?
Is there anything else I can do besides getting it towed ?
Can I replace the batteries myself and take it to dealer to check/code if needed ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

You can jump it, but best practice is to put it on a slow charge to bring it up enough to start the vehicle if you can spare the time. You can replace them yourself if using the same spec batteries and then have the dealer, or an independent shop, register them. Coded is different and only required if changing battery types or sizes.

Need more info though. How old is the battery? Do you have 1 battery or 2? Sounds like 2. If they are original then they are probably due to be replaced even if you do have a draw that is taking it down. You live in the white north too so seeing the cold weather is probably not doing the batteries any favors if they are on their last legs.

I just replaced and registered replacement battery on the wife's F15 (single 105Ah) as it was original to the vehicle. Was getting all kinds of bus communication errors and electrical weirdness indicating failure was imminent.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Most important thing. Make sure car ignition is off before connecting a booster pack or jumpers.
Sounds like you have a dead cell in the battery, so charging it probably won't work.
Check your trunk and lift the cover. See if you have one or two batteries. There's some threads on here about replacing. And if you have an older x5 with original battery, then it's definitely due for replacing. You can see the manufacture date stamped on top of battery post usually.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
You can see the manufacture date stamped on top of battery post usually.
Yep, like this. Week 39 of 2015. Sounds like you'll either have to replace the batteries where it sits, or tow it to the dealer for them to do it if the truck is that dead that it won't take a charge at all.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
Steve AL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Crystalworks, You mentioned in your post,
" I just replaced and registered replacement battery on the wife's F15 (single 105Ah) as it was original to the vehicle. Was getting all kinds of bus communication errors and electrical weirdness indicating failure was imminent."
I am getting weird error codes also. The starter clicks, but will not start at first. Did a new battery fix your issue? I have two original batteries in my 2016 X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

We just replaced our battery, it was original .... 2014. Sluggish starts for several weeks, then a 1/2 turn over, no start. Jumped it OK, charged it and it reached charge pretty quick, volts OK but amps were so low. Got 7 years out of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #7
13Ghost
2013 E93 M3 MW/Fox and 2018 X5 M Sport
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
We have a 2018 X5 with 2 batteries. Mild weather, only 44,000. Cdn KMs, but shorter trips.

Started getting the following warnings:
Batter Discharged, parking brake, iDrive shutting down etc…

After a few days of trying to diagnose the issue and which battery was going, (originally thought it was the Auxiliary battery) the car started to not want to turn over/start well.
If you look at the cables, only the main battery can supply enough juice to the starter…

Anyhow, had the batteries load tested and confirmed the main battery was the one needing replacement…

Dealer price for the battery was the same as any 3rd party sourced here (although auxiliary would have been 2-3X the price at the dealer).

Installed it myself, (didn’t need re coding) registered it (w/ BLink) and have been driving around the last couple days without any issues or warnings….

Hope it helps…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0