01-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #67
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
You caught me at not proof-reading my post for sure. I used the examples of US pickup trucks being tuned to the max (and they are, I own one but research it yourself), then turn around and state my F15 is detuned - doesn't make sense.

I'm quite aware of the various engine configurations, called platform manufacturing. My biggest customer uses this method to build agricultural equipment. But such differences in performance are not normally just software related. They almost always hang an extra turbo or two, larger injectors, different valve train , etc., then match the tune. The base engine is basically the same.

In any event, we'll agree it makes no sense (or is odd at the very least) why engines magically gain significant horsepower after breaking in. In the meantime, if you get any empirical proof, I would appreciate if you could share.
42Pilot - No problem

I think for the BMW 2.0 engine used for their branded 1.6 - 1.8 - 2.0 (2 versions) and the 2.5, it is all soft ware related except for the 2.5 where there is a different turbo an some extra cooling

I will see if I can find something in writing on any of the European boards. I agree that is seems odd specially when we know modern engines are more or less ready when you buy them (maybe except 1000km or so).

When you say the F15 US versions is detuned, what do you mean by this?
I recall the E70 generation 35D (which had 2 turbos, whereof the F15 35D only got one - identical to rest of the world 30D), the US version had around 20HP less than rest of the world due to emissions etc. But I was not aware of the newer US BMW still are detuned

Have a great day
JensM
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #68
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Opplock1 42pilot JensM And others who have experience with the RC for diesel

- Have any of you purchased or are experienced with Racechip One and/or Racechip Pro 2?

- If one buys the Pro2, for instance, and set it to a high (or highest) setting, do you think it will reach the E2 level on the "Ultimate" version?

My objective is to avoid any all possible errors. If I can replicate the minimum improvements of the Ultimate with a weaker chip, that would be satisfactory for me.

Thank you.

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-02-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #69
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Hi - I don't have any experience with either. Sorry.
      02-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #70
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

- Have any of you purchased or are experienced with Racechip One and/or Racechip Pro 2?

- If one buys the Pro2, for instance, and set it to a high (or highest) setting, do you think it will reach the E2 level on the "Ultimate" version?

My objective is to avoid any all possible errors. If I can replicate the minimum improvements of the Ultimate with a weaker chip, that would be satisfactory for me.

Thank you.

Niko, the problem with the Pro and Pro 2 is their processor speed as well. It's just not as fast. My friend has a 2014 X3 28i X-drive and they only offer the Ultimate for his engine becuase it's the new N20 engine, and the pro and pro 2 are not fast enough to keep up with whatever changes are occurring within the engine. If you're not going for the Ultimate, I wouldn't even bother.
      02-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #71
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:

Thank you.

I'm running the pro2 version, just couldn't justify the extra $$ for the ultimate version, it's a loot of dollars for 1% more power..... and as you now my car runs pretty well I'm in F/6 or 7 setting can't even remember haha anyways car is running like a champ.
I have been "on the chip" now since October. No errors whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #72
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
... I'm in F/6 or 7 setting can't even remember haha anyways car is running like a champ...... No errors whatsoever.
Is the F/6 or 7 setting close to or the highest for both torque/hp?
      02-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #73
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is the F/6 or 7 setting close to or the highest for both torque/hp?
Highest setting is 7 for both, 8 is the lowest setting for both. He's going to hurt his engine at some point from all the racechip threads I've read on multiple cars all over the world in different country forums etc . I advise against it. Our F15 seems to be built very tough, so I guess his engine is able to take a beating for a while - that CEL will creep up eventually once the cold goes away.

paicapo, be careful, my friend. I don't want you to regret anything.
      02-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #74
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Highest setting is 7 for both, 8 is the lowest setting for both. He's going to hurt his engine at some point from all the racechip threads I've read on multiple cars all over the world in different country forums etc . I advise against it. Our F15 seems to be built very tough, so I guess his engine is able to take a beating for a while - that CEL will creep up eventually once the cold goes away.

paicapo, be careful, my friend. I don't want you to regret anything.
I have talked whit racechip Germany many times now about the settings and tolerance of the fuel pressure etc and they have confirmed that all the settings RC have been tested on the particular model and are whit good margins inside the tolerance of the cars engine etc. I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car. My car is find have been monitoring sensor reads etc and all is well I think people are making to much of this tune like it's going to brake the turbo or something, it's a piggyback not a flash tune whit higher psi etc and at the most maybe it will cause slightly early fatigue on some parts like the high pressure pump in about 15 years. I bet you @opasha a beer that I won't get a CEL before September this year. I'm going over to Virginia beach in October so you better have a cold one ready
Appreciate 4
      02-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #75
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have talked whit racechip Germany many times now about the settings and tolerance of the fuel pressure etc and they have confirmed that all the settings RC have been tested on the particular model and are whit good margins inside the tolerance of the cars engine etc. I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car. My car is find have been monitoring sensor reads etc and all is well I think people are making to much of this tune like it's going to brake the turbo or something, it's a piggyback not a flash tune whit higher psi etc and at the most maybe it will cause slightly early fatigue on some parts like the high pressure pump in about 15 years. I bet you @opasha a beer that I won't get a CEL before September this year. I'm going over to Virginia beach in October so you better have a cold one ready
If that really is the case, then it will greatly improve RaceChip's reputation. I still am not sure how long many of these tuners test on an "exact" vehicle for a long period of time to warrant any CEL or not. It's skeptical. Still, if your car can handle it, that just shows that our F15s are built really really well. I'm not disagreeing with your settings; in fact, I'm happy they are working for you. I still recommend caution when others test the higher settings because you never know . It was only "recently" that RaceChip really started voicing more information in the BMW forums. Before nothing really was "updated" per say. Still, it's good to see these constant updates from you and others on how the chip is doing and performing. As always, everyone should start slow and work their way up and if too much, tone it back down by two settings.

I don't drink, but I'll gladly buy you lunch/dinner if you're ever in town .
      02-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #76
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
If that really is the case, then it will greatly improve RaceChip's reputation. I still am not sure how long many of these tuners test on an "exact" vehicle for a long period of time to warrant any CEL or not. It's skeptical. Still, if your car can handle it, that just shows that our F15s are built really really well. I'm not disagreeing with your settings; in fact, I'm happy they are working for you. I still recommend caution when others test the higher settings because you never know . It was only "recently" that RaceChip really started voicing more information in the BMW forums. Before nothing really was "updated" per say. Still, it's good to see these constant updates from you and others on how the chip is doing and performing. As always, everyone should start slow and work their way up and if too much, tone it back down by two settings.

I don't drink, but I'll gladly buy you lunch/dinner if you're ever in town .
Of corse, I'm not trying to peddle my stuff on anybody, the only thing in fact I wanted to state where that RC pro2 works great and you are right caution is the way to go my friend
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #77
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@MattBianco, are you in a market for the RaceChip? Lmk, I have the ultimate in stock.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #78
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@MattBianco, are you in a market for the RaceChip? Lmk, I have the ultimate in stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #79
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will always reach out to you first before I buy things like this.
      02-03-2015, 12:46 AM   #80
SF_E60
Negotiator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 (LCI), i3 BEV

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
That's funny you are offering Racechip to members on here when you were totally against it. Now that Burger closed out your account all of a sudden you like Racechip.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #81
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

It's called capitalism. Besides I don't think he was against it, he just didn't have experience with it, whereas he had tons of experience with the JB4 tunes. Racechip is a great product.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #82
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_E60
Quote:
That's funny you are offering Racechip to members on here when you were totally against it. Now that Burger closed out your account all of a sudden you like Racechip.
Don't get me wrong. pdawg is correct.
I didn't like RaceChip due to the lack of support and correct information on the community.
I am trying to sell RaceChip because I wanted to help you guys more by learning on the products. I am also going to carry Dinan products also.
And just because BMS closed my account, that doesn't mean that I can't sell the products anymore.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #83
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Race chip One vs. Racechip Pro2, Vs. Racechip Ultimate

This is not worthy of a separate thread, but here is a recap of my understanding as well an explanation for the difference between the three chips, and how it works with the N57 diesel engine. The observations are based on an email I received from Racechip, my self-study, and feedback from other users here:

• Racechip: "Setting ‘E/2’ is in every RaceChip more or less the same performance level and way not the maximum that can be reached". Deduction: settings in all three chips respond proportionally the same way. Racechip One, must therefore not have the all the same settings. That also explains they minimal power difference between Pro2 and Ultimate which have the same number of settings.

• The only key difference between the three chips is the processor. Race chip: "Actually the difference between the three RaceChip is mainly the processor: The processor can optimize the values as faster is the throttle response and the performance evolvement, the engine runs smooth...". Deduction: the feel of the more pricy chip will be better as it makes for smoother throttle adjustments and responds to engine readings quicker.

• They have "done a lot of tests with especially this N57 block we do have many recommendations concerning different settings.....", with some "...stronger than E/2 but still not causing any error messages." Deduction, we can take it up a few notches, but maximum is probably not advised. Don't buy it for the advertised maximum power increase, but for somewhere between E/2 and max is the general consensus.

• Pretty much like opasha mentioned earlier, the faster processor produces a smoother power gain. Question however, what is the processing speed for BMW's engine computers? If the car's processors are at or around the "Pro2" level, we could be throwing money away. paicapo could chime in to say if there is any difference in smoothness of throttle response and rate of acceleration change -smoothness.

• Although everyone says E2 setting is fine, including Racechip, we do have a user that got the Check Engine Light (CEL) at E2: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=100

• We also know that this is a chip, not a tune based on other emails from the manufacturer 42pilot: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=182. In a thread I cannot find now, I recall reading that the believed advantage of Racechip over Burger was that it was a real tune, and not just more fuel.

• We have skalberti who cautions use based on personal experience, as BMW is able to identify if a car has been tuned/chipped: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=228. Meanwhile I asked about the chips at Service yesterday and one of the advisors said something to the effect of "we all have chips in our cars here", and that he preferred Burger.

• Racechip does not always know the answers despite the claimed tests -there may be trial and error speculation vs. real tests. User catapaul switched to setting 0/3 (O/3?) as Racechip recommended that for his 40d; at 3500 the engine would choke. He has only a single post in this forum from NOV'14, and no one has replied to him. Unlikely he will chime in, but hopefully he gets a notice about this post and lets us know what happened. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=230 42pilot also reports conflicting and later corrected comments from Racechip (linked earlier).

This is not an easy sell for me as my wife is the primary driver, and I use the car on the weekends to chauffeur the queen and the children around. It has to be fail proof. Meanwhile, BMW has its own chip for the 30d, which one could argue should be a near perfect match for the 35d. Power gain is not as much, and neither the personal tension and attentiveness that may be needed: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045505 It seems one does not need to buy the whole kit (including brakes) as the chip has a standalone price and part number.

I admit to having no experience on this subject, and limited second and third hand knowledge from my self-education attempt. And, for now, I remain on the side lines. Perhaps if I leased my views would be different.

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-03-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #84
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
I think an attitude of "I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car." is very dangerous. I spent over 10 years fixing cars for exactly that reason.

No doubt the US version is de-tuned for emissions but that does not mean you can flip a switch and safely turn up the power with a chip. And certainly not with an ECU that has millions of lines of code and the dozens of sensors. This is exactly like stating, put a bigger exhaust on the car and it will run better because an engine is really a big air pump. Change one thing upstream or downstream from your alteration and it affects everything. Trivia question: on a 3.6 boxer fuel injected (not DI) turbo motor, which size header diameter is most appropriate - 1 1/4 in, 1 1/2 in, or 1 3/4 inch?

You are right in that the turbo will probably not break, but the constant pounding of igniting fuel on top of the piston over time will damage bearing, rings and the piston itself. For example, just changing the amount of fuel vs the temp of the incoming air will make a profound difference in performance and engine longevity. Most, and I mean most, bolt-in tuners simply add fuel and maybe timing (spark or fuel). That's not a smart strategy on today's engines and you can expect long term problems if dialed to the max. Sometimes, relying on the CEL to catch the problem is too late. I once tuned a gas turbo motor with knock sensors to avoid detonation at high rpm. According to the log, within ~1.8 seconds, I burned holes in 3 of 6 cylinders and trashed 4 pistons - that fast. Then the CEL lit up.

This is why I checked on RC for so many weeks - spoke to them, researched them, found out if they had warranties anywhere, asked how they tuned (NOT IDEAL !!) and so on. I will not turn my tune all the way up - I own the car and plan to keep it.

If you see you are using oil a bit faster than normal in the coming months, you now have a probable idea why.
      02-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #85
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
I think an attitude of "I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car." is very dangerous. I spent over 10 years fixing cars for exactly that reason.

No doubt the US version is de-tuned for emissions but that does not mean you can flip a switch and safely turn up the power with a chip. And certainly not with an ECU that has millions of lines of code and the dozens of sensors. This is exactly like stating, put a bigger exhaust on the car and it will run better because an engine is really a big air pump. Change one thing upstream or downstream from your alteration and it affects everything. Trivia question: on a 3.6 boxer fuel injected (not DI) turbo motor, which size header diameter is most appropriate - 1 1/4 in, 1 1/2 in, or 1 3/4 inch?

You are right in that the turbo will probably not break, but the constant pounding of igniting fuel on top of the piston over time will damage bearing, rings and the piston itself. For example, just changing the amount of fuel vs the temp of the incoming air will make a profound difference in performance and engine longevity. Most, and I mean most, bolt-in tuners simply add fuel and maybe timing (spark or fuel). That's not a smart strategy on today's engines and you can expect long term problems if dialed to the max. Sometimes, relying on the CEL to catch the problem is too late. I once tuned a gas turbo motor with knock sensors to avoid detonation at high rpm. According to the log, within ~1.8 seconds, I burned holes in 3 of 6 cylinders and trashed 4 pistons - that fast. Then the CEL lit up.

This is why I checked on RC for so many weeks - spoke to them, researched them, found out if they had warranties anywhere, asked how they tuned (NOT IDEAL !!) and so on. I will not turn my tune all the way up - I own the car and plan to keep it.

If you see you are using oil a bit faster than normal in the coming months, you now have a probable idea why.
Ok thanks for the tip, will check the oil consumption for early warning. The quote; "I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car." was a bit immature, what a meant is that I trust the guys at RC that I have been talking to in regards of the settings but caution is for shure the best way to go.
      02-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #86
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is not worthy of a separate thread, but here is a recap of my understanding as well an explanation for the difference between the three chips, and how it works with the N57 diesel engine. The observations are based on an email I received from Racechip, my self-study, and feedback from other users here:

• Racechip: "Setting ‘E/2’ is in every RaceChip more or less the same performance level and way not the maximum that can be reached". Deduction: settings in all three chips respond proportionally the same way. Racechip One, must therefore not have the all the same settings. That also explains they minimal power difference between Pro2 and Ultimate which have the same number of settings.

• The only key difference between the three chips is the processor. Race chip: "Actually the difference between the three RaceChip is mainly the processor: The processor can optimize the values as faster is the throttle response and the performance evolvement, the engine runs smooth...". Deduction: the feel of the more pricy chip will be better as it makes for smoother throttle adjustments and responds to engine readings quicker.

• They have "done a lot of tests with especially this N57 block we do have many recommendations concerning different settings.....", with some "...stronger than E/2 but still not causing any error messages." Deduction, we can take it up a few notches, but maximum is probably not advised. Don't buy it for the advertised maximum power increase, but for somewhere between E/2 and max is the general consensus.

• Pretty much like opasha mentioned earlier, the faster processor produces a smoother power gain. Question however, what is the processing speed for BMW's engine computers? If the car's processors are at or around the "Pro2" level, we could be throwing money away. paicapo could chime in to say if there is any difference in smoothness of throttle response and rate of acceleration change -smoothness.

• Although everyone says E2 setting is fine, including Racechip, we do have a user that got the Check Engine Light (CEL) at E2: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=100

• We also know that this is a chip, not a tune based on other emails from the manufacturer 42pilot: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=182. In a thread I cannot find now, I recall reading that the believed advantage of Racechip over Burger was that it was a real tune, and not just more fuel.

• We have skalberti who cautions use based on personal experience, as BMW is able to identify if a car has been tuned/chipped: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=228. Meanwhile I asked about the chips at Service yesterday and one of the advisors said something to the effect of "we all have chips in our cars here", and that he preferred Burger.

• Racechip does not always know the answers despite the claimed tests -there may be trial and error speculation vs. real tests. User catapaul switched to setting 0/3 (O/3?) as Racechip recommended that for his 40d; at 3500 the engine would choke. He has only a single post in this forum from NOV'14, and no one has replied to him. Unlikely he will chime in, but hopefully he gets a notice about this post and lets us know what happened. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=230 42pilot also reports conflicting and later corrected comments from Racechip (linked earlier).

This is not an easy sell for me as my wife is the primary driver, and I use the car on the weekends to chauffeur the queen and the children around. It has to be fail proof. Meanwhile, BMW has its own chip for the 30d, which one could argue should be a near perfect match for the 35d. Power gain is not as much, and neither the personal tension and attentiveness that may be needed: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045505 It seems one does not need to buy the whole kit (including brakes) as the chip has a standalone price and part number.

I admit to having no experience on this subject, and limited second and third hand knowledge from my self-education attempt. And, for now, I remain on the side lines. Perhaps if I leased my views would be different.
I think the difference in processor power is not noticeable whit "human senses" in regards of the speed RC is relaying signals from ECU to fuel line but I don’t have any facts on this, email RC Germany and ask; technik@racechip.com
      02-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #87
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just hide the RC box in the engien bay and say you are putting some octane boost in the thank or buy that mini tune box you were talking about before for some undecover tune lol. Jokes aside email RC they have excellent service, at least here in Europe...They have always responded to me in a couple of hours.
      02-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #88
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think the difference in processor power is not noticeable whit "human senses" in regards of the speed RC is relaying signals from ECU to fuel line but I don’t have any facts on this, email RC Germany and ask; technik@racechip.com
This may also be the reason why you're jumping so high and the lower numbers aren't doing it for you. Processor speed makes a BIG DIFFERENCE. Trust me on this. The processor is the single most important thing above memory that allows a computer/car/phone etc to multi-task and task efficiently/fast.