BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M

BMW X5 as a family car?

Hi all,

at first, sorry for my bad English. But I need help. Is here someone, who own the current X5 and has 3 children?
Iīd like to buy an X5 as our family car, but iīm not sure if X5 is the best choice for family with three children. Now we have 9 and 7 years old children and we are planning third.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
FamilyMan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Funny you should ask!

My wife and I have 3 kids... Ages 9, 7, and 4.

And just last night I traded in our 2012 Honda Odyssey for an X5 with a 3rd row seat.

Just my opinion here so take it for what it's worth...

If you're looking for a family hauler with plenty of space for people and luggage, well the Odyssey is one of the best choices out there.

However, if the thought of driving a minivan makes you want to rub red pepper in your eyes, then you might want to look at the Acura MDX or the Audi Q7. Or if you don't want/need a luxury brand then the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse are great family haulers.

In my case, I've always loved BMW ever since I was a young kid and we had been in minivans for almost 10 years now and both my wife and I were ready for a change.

My initial impressions of the X5 (only 12 hours of ownership mind you) is that it's simply a spectacular piece of machinery.

I looked at a number of SUVs just to be sure that I wasn't being biased to the BMW marque.

In the end, the X5 checked off all the boxes for our needs.

Keep in mind, the car seats will be very tight compared to something like an 8 passenger Odyssey.

And the 3rd row is perfect for my 9 and 7 year old but I doubt I'd put an adult back there on a long road trip.

I'd suggest bringing your car seats with you to the dealership so you get a really good idea of how things would be for your family.

Lastly, if you get the 3rd row and plan to use it, you lose a lot of luggage space and may need to take that into consideration.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ can't get a better response than that

Personally the X5 is PERFECT for my family with two kids (3yo and 3month old) and i don't have the 3rd row nor did i want/need it. wife can sit in the back with the kids with plenty of room to spare and we rarely ever have to drive anyone else around since they all have cars in the family. I think this is key here. How often do you have others in your car. Buddy of mine lives with his parents so he typically has to drive his family with kids plus his parents around. For him he needed a minivan.

I came from the F10 5 series and the X5 is so much roomier all around and better suited for family duties. Not saying that the 5 couldn't do it but you are just so much more comfortable in the X5.

Alan
      09-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
Funny you should ask!

My wife and I have 3 kids... Ages 9, 7, and 4.

And just last night I traded in our 2012 Honda Odyssey for an X5 with a 3rd row seat.

Just my opinion here so take it for what it's worth...

If you're looking for a family hauler with plenty of space for people and luggage, well the Odyssey is one of the best choices out there.

However, if the thought of driving a minivan makes you want to rub red pepper in your eyes, then you might want to look at the Acura MDX or the Audi Q7. Or if you don't want/need a luxury brand then the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse are great family haulers.

In my case, I've always loved BMW ever since I was a young kid and we had been in minivans for almost 10 years now and both my wife and I were ready for a change.

My initial impressions of the X5 (only 12 hours of ownership mind you) is that it's simply a spectacular piece of machinery.

I looked at a number of SUVs just to be sure that I wasn't being biased to the BMW marque.

In the end, the X5 checked off all the boxes for our needs.

Keep in mind, the car seats will be very tight compared to something like an 8 passenger Odyssey.

And the 3rd row is perfect for my 9 and 7 year old but I doubt I'd put an adult back there on a long road trip.

I'd suggest bringing your car seats with you to the dealership so you get a really good idea of how things would be for your family.

Lastly, if you get the 3rd row and plan to use it, you lose a lot of luggage space and may need to take that into consideration.

Good luck!!
Thank you for your reaction!

The problem is, it is not possible to buy a Odyssey, Acura, Buick etc officially at the dealer in EU. These cars are only for the US market and for example if I order the Odyssey in EU from US (US price 45 000 $), I will finally pay more than 70 000 $ :thumbs down
I really donīt like Audi and MB and the new Q7 is horrible. Last week I tested the new Volvo XC90, it's nice, luxury and you donīt have a problem with 3 children. But engines are disaster.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
M-power CZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ can't get a better response than that

Personally the X5 is PERFECT for my family with two kids (3yo and 3month old) and i don't have the 3rd row nor did i want/need it. wife can sit in the back with the kids with plenty of room to spare and we rarely ever have to drive anyone else around since they all have cars in the family. I think this is key here. How often do you have others in your car. Buddy of mine lives with his parents so he typically has to drive his family with kids plus his parents around. For him he needed a minivan.

I came from the F10 5 series and the X5 is so much roomier all around and better suited for family duties. Not saying that the 5 couldn't do it but you are just so much more comfortable in the X5.

Alan
Thank you Alan.

My wife has a Honda FR-V (EU model only) and I have a M3 and we donīt have a problem. Honda is for six passenger, but has a very small luggage space. M3 is fine, but itīs not our DD car and itīs only for 4 passengers. We really want a BMW, we love BMW and the new X5 is amazing. But we have a worry about the third child seat and about the space with three children.
BTW your X5 is really nice!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

We own an Acura MDX and I just got the BMW for myself. I do not have a third row seat. The passenger dimensions of the first and second rows are pretty much equal between the two. I have no problems fitting one carseat for my 4 year old and two boosters next to it in the back seat of the X5 (my other kids are 10 and 8). For the Acura, we have only used the third row a few times- for picking up grandparents at the airport or for my kids' birthday parties when we are transporting a bunch of kids at one time. But overall, we almost never use the third seat. If you think you will ever use it, then get it. It is better to have it and hardly use it than to need it and not have one.

We traded in our Odyssey for the MDX and the compromise on luggage space was a trailer hitch mounted cargo tray for when go on long trips. Works like a charm, and it doubles the storage space of the car.

If you have only two kids right now, the X5 is perfect....my wife actually likes the BMW more than the Acura. Better power, higher seating position, more luxury feel. If you are planning on a third kid, it will be years and years before all your kids are so big that you absolutely need a 7 or 8 passenger car. With that said, though, the best compromise is to get the X5 with the third row seat. There are plenty of ways to increase cargo space on the X5 (cargo tray or roof top boxes both work great)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-power CZ View Post
Thank you for your reaction!

The problem is, it is not possible to buy a Odyssey, Acura, Buick etc officially at the dealer in EU. These cars are only for the US market and for example if I order the Odyssey in EU from US (US price 45 000 $), I will finally pay more than 70 000 $ :thumbs down
I really donīt like Audi and MB and the new Q7 is horrible. Last week I tested the new Volvo XC90, it's nice, luxury and you donīt have a problem with 3 children. But engines are disaster.....
By European standards the X5 is a very spacious car perfectly fit for a family of five. I know because I am from there.

In the US... well, when I replaced our Odyssey with the X5 my kids complained that how come they don't have full captain seats anymore? And what is this crazy talk about someone having to sit in the middle of the bench seat (when we have one of their friends with us - I only have two kids)?
Appreciate 0