Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
2) Hate the fact that there isn't a fast forward/rewind button on the steering wheel. This is absolutely different than using the HUD scroll wheel. If you choose to play songs randomly, the ff/rewind button near the radio preset buttons will go on to the next song randomly, rather than playing your playlist sequentially. But the HUD scroll wheel function shows all songs in the same album as the current song you're playing. So to play a song NOT by that artist or in that album, you have to do a lot of scrolling. Annoying feature. If you choose to play your music randomly, then the HUD scroll wheel function should display the playlist in a random order.
Mine does this. If I set the list to random, then my scroll wheel pulls up the list by random. Not sure if we have different settings, but thought I'd mention.

Quote:
3) There is no reason the phone adapter in the center console should be standard. Get that thing tf out of there. Horrible.
It's now optional in the 2015 model. Comes with the enhanced bluetooth option.
Very interesting. Are you sure though? I've got my list set to random. The HUD playlist displays ALBUMS randomly, but then includes every song in that album sequentially. I didn't realize that until it was evident that the next few songs in the list were all by the same artist.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupot View Post
As already mentioned, it has to be the radio not shutting up when you press the stop button, or at the least when you open the door to exit. Whoever thought it a good idea to stay on till locked should be shot!
I really don't think this is much of a deal, I agree at least there should be an option in settings, hell, half of the functions in the vehicle do not give you a choice, but if you consider that you are leaving the car for a few seconds or few minutes, and you have a passenger, kid in back seat, etc.. Do you really want the radio or whole power to shut off the moment you unlock the doors or at 1st press? I think the radio is designed fine the way it is, it keeps playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
Absolutely. Horrible placement of the control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljx*****n View Post
Anyone find the passenger side power window button is very hard to reach? My wife always had to stretch her arm to reach that stupid button!!

You mean your wives do not command you to roll the window up/down for her, and she does it herself? You got a keeper! Hang on to those precious ladies!

Question.
Does F15 unlock all doors when you shut off the engine or when you open the driver's door? I don't think there is an option to unlock all doors on E70.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #25
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Question.
Does F15 unlock all doors when you shut off the engine or when you open the driver's door? I don't think there is an option to unlock all doors on E70.
No. You can have it coded to unlock when the engine shuts off, but default behavior is to stay locked until the door is opened.
      09-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #26
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
-Why do I have to turn off the car 2 times to make radio etc, be silent?
Aren't most cars in the universe like this? Turn the key back one stop and you're in accessory mode, then again for off. With a key you can slide right through accessory to off in one stroke. How are you supposed to approximate all this with a button? One push for accessory, two for off, and hold to go straight from On to Off perhaps? Sounds like a pretty good solution to me.

I like the way it works. When I get to work, I hit the button once to kill the engine then screw around with prepping to get out of the car: my bag, drink, breakfast, pick up stuff that fell on the floor, whatever. Then get out and get my jacket and laptop out of the back seat and my grooving tunes don't stop until I lock the car. Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #27
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Aren't most cars in the universe like this? Turn the key back one stop and you're in accessory mode, then again for off. With a key you can slide right through accessory to off in one stroke. How are you supposed to approximate all this with a button? One push for accessory, two for off, and hold to go straight from On to Off perhaps? Sounds like a pretty good solution to me.

I like the way it works. When I get to work, I hit the button once to kill the engine then screw around with prepping to get out of the car: my bag, drink, breakfast, pick up stuff that fell on the floor, whatever. Then get out and get my jacket and laptop out of the back seat and my grooving tunes don't stop until I lock the car. Awesome.
+1
      09-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
No. You can have it coded to unlock when the engine shuts off, but default behavior is to stay locked until the door is opened.
So the doors are unlocked when the driver door is opened? It wasn't clear what you meant by "until door is opened". The reason I am bringing this up is because every single time we get out our car (me and the wife) we just pull the handle, get out, but of course when she goes to the back to pick up my son off her car seat, she has to wait for me to actually unlock the doors. Of course I always forget to unlock the doors before getting out, so I have to use keyfob. I can live with it staying unlocked with engine off, but if it can unlock all doors when I unlock or open driver door from inside, that would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #29
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you my twin in parallel universe? Jacket? Lunch? Laptop Bag from the back seat? Evidence of spirited driving (picking up stuff, like cell phone, eye glasses, change, etc that flew off the center console when I make those sharp turns).. all while continuing to listen to my tunes (or sometimes NPR )
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #30
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the doors are unlocked when the driver door is opened? It wasn't clear what you meant by "until door is opened". The reason I am bringing this up is because every single time we get out our car (me and the wife) we just pull the handle, get out, but of course when she goes to the back to pick up my son off her car seat, she has to wait for me to actually unlock the doors. Of course I always forget to unlock the doors before getting out, so I have to use keyfob. I can live with it staying unlocked with engine off, but if it can unlock all doors when I unlock or open driver door from inside, that would be awesome.
Sorry - to be more specific, each door unlocks individually when that door is opened from the inside. Opening the driver door won't automatically unlock all of the doors. To my knowledge, the only way to automatically unlock the doors is through coding the option to unlock when the engine shuts off.
      09-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #31
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, I finally have one of my own to add, one I haven't seen mentioned yet (although I may've missed it ) - the sunglass holder.

I was actually pretty happy when I saw they included this in the new model. I had them for years in my other cars, and lost the feature when I switched to BMW. And then I got the F15 and realized that the holder is too damn small to hold most modern sunglasses that are curved. Won't even hold a basic pair that I bought for driving (needed something non-polarized for HUD).

Come on, BMW, do some market research and figure out that a good segment of your base probably purchased something other than the $5 Walmart specials when it comes to sunglasses. Have the designer pick up a pair of Oakleys and see if they fit (hint: they don't!).

09-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #32
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you my twin in parallel universe? Jacket? Lunch? Laptop Bag from the back seat? Evidence of spirited driving (picking up stuff, like cell phone, eye glasses, change, etc that flew off the center console when I make those sharp turns).. all while continuing to listen to my tunes (or sometimes NPR )
Almost twinsies! My dear departed ride (RIP) was a 2012 Deep Sea Blue X6 (X5+1?)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #33
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
..... (needed something non-polarized for HUD).

No way. This is a huge problem. I rely on my polarized glasses whenever I wear my contacts because contacts just make everything super bright and glare hits right back at ya. I bought a pair of polarized and realized that there was a whole other world behind all those glare-y windshields, drivers, I could suddenly see other drivers, or read road signs better, etc.. Sure it sucked looking at temp display on A/C but it helped a lot.

So the only way to go would be getting some curved oakleys like you mentioned to help avoid sun from getting in from the sides, and if they won't fit in the holder, that's an annoyance as well. I always thought it was super odd that E70 did not have sunglass holder.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #34
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Almost twinsies! My dear departed ride (RIP) was a 2012 Deep Sea Blue X6 (X5+1?)
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #35
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No way. This is a huge problem.
Yeah, unfortunately the HUD is aligned such that the polarized sunglasses make it look dim. Some folks complain that it looks like it's turned off completely, although with my Oakleys it just appears to be dim. From what I understand, this is a pretty universal problem with HUD's, not just BMW. Not sure why the manufacturers haven't figured out a solution, given how many sunglasses are polarized these days. It actually took me an hour of searching to find a pair that wasn't polarized that also didn't look like a**.
      09-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #36
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately the HUD is aligned such that the polarized sunglasses make it look dim. Some folks complain that it looks like it's turned off completely, although with my Oakleys it just appears to be dim. From what I understand, this is a pretty universal problem with HUD's, not just BMW. Not sure why the manufacturers haven't figured out a solution, given how many sunglasses are polarized these days. It actually took me an hour of searching to find a pair that wasn't polarized that also didn't look like a**.
"I'd like to return these 14 out of 15 pairs I just bought"
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #37
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I was thinking about this this morning;

- I miss the programmable buttons/switches on the steering wheel. I used these for switching between radio and music on the hard drive
- also the fact that the Cruise Control is on the wheel rather than a separate stalk - I don't like that
- Heated wheel switch: why isn't that put somewhere that you can actually see the damn thing?

Just my 2 penny's worth
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #38
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:

Not true, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Tesla and Volvo to mention a few turn off the radio when you open the door so the stereo doesnt continue playing when you leave the car. I think your deaprture rituals wouldnt be interrupted by this, but when you want them to shut down, you just open door vs press a button and open the door.

To mention another complaint, I just played around with the Tesla internet and have to say that the BMW apps and internet are totally useless.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #39
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
- I miss the programmable buttons/switches on the steering wheel. I used these for switching between radio and music on the hard drive
I miss the programmable buttons, too, but doesn't the Mode button switch between radio and the hard drive?

Quote:
To mention another complaint, I just played around with the Tesla internet and have to say that the BMW apps and internet are totally useless.
+1
As much as BMW leads in tech in some areas, they fall short here.
      09-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #40
AG64
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
I have prescription polarized sunglasses, not sure if its a different polarization on prescription lenses, but my HUD just looks dimmer, adjusting the brightness all the way up helps a lot. Also you may want to play with height/rotation that has an effect as well.

Another annoyance, that started manifesting itself - inflatable bolsters (i have comfort sets) started making fairly loud and rude noises when i start the car.
      09-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #41
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
I miss the programmable buttons, too, but doesn't the Mode button switch between radio and the hard drive?
True, I just miss that ability to choose..e.g. I'd programme some of the Vehicle Settings from the iDrive to have 'direct access' to 'em.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #42
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Not true, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Tesla and Volvo to mention a few turn off the radio when you open the door so the stereo doesnt continue playing when you leave the car. I think your deaprture rituals wouldnt be interrupted by this, but when you want them to shut down, you just open door vs press a button and open the door.
I see on the coding cheat sheet this morning that someone added a code that will turn off the radio and GPS when the engine is off and the driver door is opened. Just an FYI for those that hate the fact the radio stays on until you hit the start/stop button or lock the door
      09-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #43
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the original complaint I was addressing:

-Why do I have to turn off the car 2 times to make radio etc, be silent?

Not opening the door... Not that I don't appreciate it staying on after I open the door. Do all those brands turn off the systems when you push the start/stop button only once?

Quote:
I've had several extended test drives in a Tesla and a considerable amount of time playing with the onboard systems in the showroom. Their salon is like 2mi from my house and basically across the street from where I work so hanging with a Tesla is hard to not do. I will take BMWs phone integration any day over Tesla's Internet. Their phone integration is worse than Porshe's and that's speaking volumes. I want to listen to MY music, not theirs and I don't want to have to touch my phone to do it.

I would have a Tesla in my garage right now if they worked as well with my phone as my BMWs did. Even without torque vectoring (it would be SO much better with that) and with ultra-stupid cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #44
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG
Ok, I finally have one of my own to add, one I haven't seen mentioned yet (although I may've missed it ) - the sunglass holder.

I was actually pretty happy when I saw they included this in the new model. I had them for years in my other cars, and lost the feature when I switched to BMW. And then I got the F15 and realized that the holder is too damn small to hold most modern sunglasses that are curved. Won't even hold a basic pair that I bought for driving (needed something non-polarized for HUD).

Come on, BMW, do some market research and figure out that a good segment of your base probably purchased something other than the $5 Walmart specials when it comes to sunglasses. Have the designer pick up a pair of Oakleys and see if they fit (hint: they don't!).

Totally forgot about this but you're spot on. How on earth did BMW miss this? Or do Germans wear smaller sunglasses. Just seems like an odd oversight.
Appreciate 0