BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Regarding issue no 1, I too have coded radio & gps to turn off when you open the drivers door but for this work you have to wait for everything to stop when turning off the car with one button press otherwise opening the door doesn't turn everything off?

I regularly have this not work for me as the time it takes for everything to stop is more than it takes for you to press the button and open the door, you have to consciously add a delay of a few seconds.
Hey Neil, I know how it works . I know you have to turn off with one button push (this leaves your GPS and RADIO on) and then open the door (this will shut everything off - that's the point of this coding). I tried it multiple times, and it won't work because of the issue with my BRAKE being somehow engaged when it is not. I want everyone to see this. When I press one button push, something (due to whatever stupid error) is keeping the brake pedal engaged. Is this normal behavior? I have never seen it be like this before.

Then, when I lock the car, the car completely shuts off including the brake lights, gps, and radio (kind of like the old discussion everyone had last year about one button push and then just locking the car to completely shut it down if they forgot two button pushes).

Last edited by opasha; 03-01-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #24
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@r33 (they really need to get your screen name tagging fixed) Ben, I showed Eddie your info. When I take it to him tomorrow, I will make sure he tightens everything. He said he used the right schematics that you showed and assembled everything back the way it should be, but I guess something is loose. The misalignment is also causing my car to be a bit wobbly. I need to get that aligned. Should I get it aligned at my local tire shop (the ones that put on my 22s properly and aligned it perfectly before) or should I drive it all the way to BMW (an hour away) and have them align it, check the struts, and check this break error (killing 3 birds with one stone).
      03-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #25
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

The key is... #11 needs to be tightened when a) the spring was still compressed, or b) under load (something Ben accomplished by using a jack to raise the bottom of the strut). I'm sure your buddy will get it sorted out.
Brake light issue is a weird one for sure. What happens if you shut the car down while the brake pedal is still depressed?
      03-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #26
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
The key is... #11 needs to be tightened when a) the spring was still compressed, or b) under load (something Ben accomplished by using a jack to raise the bottom of the strut). I'm sure your buddy will get it sorted out.
Brake light issue is a weird one for sure. What happens if you shut the car down while the brake pedal is still depressed?
I didn't try pressing the brake and turning the engine off since that is what starts the car. I guess I'll try all of this later tonight before I VO Code everything (my last hope). I wont fdl code a single thing and just let the car sit overnight (even though the fdl codes from the cheat sheet should have nothing to do with anything like this since they never caused this issue before).
      03-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@opasha, I know, my name somehow is not working. LoL.
Here, check the #10 in this attached diagram. You may this stuck close or shorted.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #28
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@opasha, I know, my name somehow is not working. LoL.
Here, check the #10 in this attached diagram. You may this stuck close or shorted.
That's the odd part, Ben. When I return to the car after is has been locked for some time (I haven't really timed it). When I press one button push, it turns AC POWER ON the way it should. It only does this odd behavior after the engine has been started. So, it can't be that #10 module is shorted if it works correctly after being locked for some time right? It doesn't make any sense at all. Something with the engine starting is confusing the car and preventing it from shutting down.
      03-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #29
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Finally gets car back, now riddled with problems. Time to drop it off at the dealership and lock your threads so they can never see your mod journey, hello service advisor and "It's under warranty I expect it working"
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #30
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

opasha r33. I have r33 on a note so I can copy and past the code: which is: @[r33](contact:76551 with parentheses closed after 76551.
      03-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #31
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Finally gets car back, now riddled with problems. Time to drop it off at the dealership and lock your threads so they can never see your mod journey, hello service advisor and "It's under warranty I expect it working"
Haha, I know, Taran. The plan is just to do one final VO Code since I read brake and DSC (ecu) issues also deal with Chassis Stabilization Malfunction errors. So, hopefully VO Coding everything except DME will fix it...fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
opasha r33. I have r33 on a note so I can copy and past the code: which is: @[r33](contact:76551 with parentheses closed after 76551.
Thanks, Niko .
      03-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #32
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Oh no, opasha! I'm so terribly sorry to read about the woes pertaining to your car. I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to add (remember, I'm the one whose technical inclination stops at the level of using a calculator), but I will keep my fingers crossed for you to have all of these sorted out.

I sincerely hope you don't give up on the X5 - you've been such a source of inspiration to so many - and I hope your car will be "reborn" to give you many happy miles more to come.

Good luck, my friend!
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Oh no, opasha! I'm so terribly sorry to read about the woes pertaining to your car. I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to add (remember, I'm the one whose technical inclination stops at the level of using a calculator), but I will keep my fingers crossed for you to have all of these sorted out.

I sincerely hope you don't give up on the X5 - you've been such a source of inspiration to so many - and I hope your car will be "reborn" to give you many happy miles more to come.

Good luck, my friend!
Thank you, Wobbles . I haven't given up yet, lol. I just finished VO Coding everything. Thankfully, it was all done in AC POWER on mode since it was in the garage locked. I just unlocked it, VO Coded all the necessary ECU folders except DME. I only fdl coded my LED turn signals in BDC_Body so they don't flicker.

Since I never started the engine, I was able to press the Start/Stop button once to completely shut off the car and leave it unlocked. I will check on it tomorrow morning to see if the coding fixed it. If not, then yes, a dealer visit will be 100% necessary. Here's to hoping .
      03-02-2015, 02:35 AM   #34
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
You are not allowed to ask questions or ask for help here. Do you know how depressing that is for most of us?
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 05:35 AM   #35
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

I just got back from driving and starting and shutting off the car. The VO Coding of every ECU folder except DME did not work at all. Also, the car alignment is very very off to the point where the car shakes slightly (almost like when you hydroplane despite the road being clean pavement) every few seconds (I assume this is due to every rotation or so where the wheels are going against each other or in a different direction than the steering wheel). For safety, I believe I will have to get my local tire shop (that mounted and balanced/aligned my 22s before) to re-align everything. Then, remove my 6WB (so they can use ISTA/P software to reprogram the car) and my RaceChip. Then, I will have to pay BMW a visit. What a pain in my rear end .

Despite this, I still love/enjoy this car. D setting is phenomenal. It handles like a champ on the icy roads without needing traction control mode (leaving DSC on). I tried to turn it off and see what it did, but it just made the car more shaky due to misalignment, so I will retest this feature when aligned.

Stay tuned and thank you for following my roller-coaster journey .

Last edited by opasha; 03-02-2015 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #36
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Hey Omar, nice to see that for the love of the car it is all worth it, just takes time & a bunch of patience. Ensure the roller coaster is not an hour drive on icy roads, even with your Delintes.

Best,
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 05:58 AM   #37
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Hey Omar, nice to see that for the love of the car it is all worth it, just takes time & a bunch of patience. Ensure the roller coaster is not an hour drive on icy roads, even with your Delintes.

Best,
Patience is a virtue . Thankfully, Maryland is very good with cleaning their roads, so I won't be in trouble driving down . I'll make an appointment sometime this week; I hope they give me a decent loaner, lol.

The car not turning off with two buttons pushes could have been much worse. At least I can still tap one push, get out, and press lock for it to completely shut down.

I'll miss the car again....
      03-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #38
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

opasha, thanks for the update - for the many of us who are eagerly following this saga, we're obviously disappointed that things didn't quite work out as hoped - but, chin up, you have the combined best wishes of the forum community going with you on those icy (but well cleared) Maryland roads to the dealer for rectification works!

Drive safe, my friend!
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #39
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
opasha, thanks for the update - for the many of us who are eagerly following this saga, we're obviously disappointed that things didn't quite work out as hoped - but, chin up, you have the combined best wishes of the forum community going with you on those icy (but well cleared) Maryland roads to the dealer for rectification works!

Drive safe, my friend!
Thank you, Wobbles .
      03-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #40
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Thank you, Wobbles .
You are most welcome ... and, there's a saying, misery loves company, so I thought I'd just share the (my) misery around and hopefully cheer you up a bit - this just happened 2 days ago, and my F13 is now stuck at the work shop. Apparently, some fan-cooling-thing failed for the LED light, and BMW is changing it under warranty (just as well, because the 3 year warranty runs out in a week's time!):

Hope you'll get your car back in tip-top shape again soon!
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #41
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Omar - Sorry to hear that VO coding didn't fix your issues. You are a resourceful and persistent guy and I know you will get it sorted out. What a pain to have to go through this.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #42
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You are most welcome ... and, there's a saying, misery loves company, so I thought I'd just share the (my) misery around and hopefully cheer you up a bit - this just happened 2 days ago, and my F13 is now stuck at the work shop. Apparently, some fan-cooling-thing failed for the LED light, and BMW is changing it under warranty (just as well, because the 3 year warranty runs out in a week's time!):

Hope you'll get your car back in tip-top shape again soon!
Thanks, buddy. I hope your issue gets resolved in a jiffy too .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
Omar - Sorry to hear that VO coding didn't fix your issues. You are a resourceful and persistent guy and I know you will get it sorted out. What a pain to have to go through this.
Thanks, Bill . Yes, it is rather annoying, but hey, that's life. What doesn't break you makes you stronger . To top it off, my rear view dash camera is upside down! Pretty funny that we didn't notice this when we installed; to be fair, the trunk was open and the camera angle was facing straight to the ground from the raised glass (it was late when we did the install)....I know, I know ---> .
      03-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #43
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

can you at minimum work with the dealer to get the 6WB to be recognized as part of the car since they are offering the cluster as an upgrade on existing models? There is no way they swap back and forth on cars they upgrade.
      03-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #44
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
can you at minimum work with the dealer to get the 6WB to be recognized as part of the car since they are offering the cluster as an upgrade on existing models? There is no way they swap back and forth on cars they upgrade.
I'll have to call and ask my SA and see what he says.