BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #89
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

OK. MB and Audi have auto steering in cooperation With Lane departure mechanisms. I Think that Would be more important. BMW only slightly vibrates the steering wheel and Then You drive into the ditch. I don't Think This is worth the money, although it is Cool if the steering is the only difference and You Still need To keep hands on steering wheel and only on highways, So There is not a big difference IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #90
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Used my TJA and HBA for the first time today. TJA feels weird. Resting your hand on a constantly moving steering wheel isn't that straightforward. Didn't get chance to see if it would resume from stationary after a period > 3 seconds. The normal ACC definitely doesn't resume after 3 seconds.

The new HBA is amazing even on xenons. It reacts so quickly to dip a single beam while keeping the main beams on. Well I assume it's reacting quickly, hard to tell for sure, but nobody has flashed me yet, and that wasn't the case with the older HBA
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #91
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Sorry to go back to this subject, but it bothers me. I am a technology freak, but I am having a hard time justifying myself To Pay for This. So the steering wheel moves Whole You Are holding it?? I Think the point Would be that it steers by itself When You Are not holding it or Both. Like I described earlier MB and Audi steer the wheel if You let Go or hold the wheel and start departuring from the Lane, I don't understand Why BMW went in a totally different direction, as it is clear the technology is in the steering wheel. Has anyone With the TJA steering wheel actually tried if it makes corrections if departing Lane without blinker? It Still only vibrates?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #92
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1
Sorry to go back to this subject, but it bothers me. I am a technology freak, but I am having a hard time justifying myself To Pay for This. So the steering wheel moves Whole You Are holding it?? I Think the point Would be that it steers by itself When You Are not holding it or Both. Like I described earlier MB and Audi steer the wheel if You let Go or hold the wheel and start departuring from the Lane, I don't understand Why BMW went in a totally different direction, as it is clear the technology is in the steering wheel. Has anyone With the TJA steering wheel actually tried if it makes corrections if departing Lane without blinker? It Still only vibrates?
Kip1, can you please reread the tread, because I think it has the answers you are looking for.

-it's not just lane departure warning. The car actually makes the steering corrections
-you have to keep 1 hand in touch with the steering wheel. This is a safety measure. It's only 1 hand, not two, and you don't have to steer, just keep the contact. MB does the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #93
Scorpio
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 M50d

Agreed, and Two fingers is actually enough , not kidding .

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #94
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

As I was the one starting this thread some 6 months ago, and I finally have my car, here is my view on TJA after having used it for a week in some major traffic jams in the most congested city in the world (according to Forbes) Brussels:

No pictures, as they would be the same as those posted earlier in this tread.

-TJA will only work on freeways. It will give you a warning when you start it up, and it's obvious it uses the navigation data to determine if it is on a freeway or not.
-As soon as you go below 40 km/h , cruise control and TJA is on, and you have a hand on the steering wheel, it will switch on. I did have a few cases where it took a few seconds before actually switching on. I guess it has to do with the camera being able to interpret the lines on the road. so if you are too close to the car in front of you when you switch it on, it will not work.
-The steering wheel becomes hard to turn. So there is a physical indication that it is on, besides the symbol on the HUD or in your dashboard.
-If you manually override the system to turn the steering wheel, it will accept minor changes, but switch off if you try too hard.
-Once traffic get's going again, and you reach 40 km/h, the cruise control will keep the car at 40 km/h and give you a visual warning that you can go faster. Touch the gas pedal, and the TJA switches off, and the car accelerates to the speed set in the cruise control.
-Once TJA is on, I did not have to keep my hands on the steering wheel ! Strange, because the manual says you have to. I tried it for over 15 minutes without touching and it never switched off...That's when I fell asleep so I don't know what happened after
-It keeps the middle of the lane very neatly, and you do see the steering wheel making the corrections by itself.
-On sharper turns (exit ramps, bends in the freeway) the system tends to go towards the outside of the turn. It stays in the lane but comes dangerously close to the outside line of the lane. If you have a truck next to you, it is very hard to resist correcting yourself.
-On wet roads in the dark it doesn't work (the reflection of the road makes it hard to distinguish the lines)
-What I find annoying is that when the car stops, you have to touch the gas pedal to get going again when traffic in front of you moves. Has nothing to do with the TJA, but is a feature of the cruise control. I understand the need for this safety measure (imagine you get out of the car and suddenly it leaves without you ! ), but it is still annoying. They could have used the sensors in the driver seat or something else to ensure you are still there...

Overall it is a great system, but only useful if you spent a lot of time in traffic jams like I do.

One word of warning: the car becomes so automated, and because you very quickly become accustomed to that, it has an inherent danger that you trust the system too much. Imagine being in those same traffic jams, and you trust that ACC Stop & Go and TJA will do it for you...but you forgot to switch it on ?

Some added features for the fully automated car would be nice:

-Get into you car, enter destination "HOME" , and the system sends a text message to your partner saying at which you time will be home
-Enter "GIRLFRIEND" as destination, and it sends a text message to your wife saying you will be late due to a meeting ...
-Automatic horn whenever someone in front of you does stupid things
-Cruise control that adapts your speed to the speed limits of the road (with the option to add yourself an extra margin ... in both directions)
-As soon as the TJA and cruise control take over, your favourite TV series or movie shows on the HUD...or even better yet, your PC screen so you can work (need to find a solution for the keyboard popping out of the steering wheel )

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #95
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
-Once TJA is on, I did not have to keep my hands on the steering wheel ! Strange, because the manual says you have to. I tried it for over 15 minutes without touching and it never switched off...That's when I fell asleep so I don't know what happened after
Great write up. I kind of suspected you didn't need to keep a hand on the wheel, but couldn't be sure. I took my hand off a few times and it still worked, but didn't leave it off for an extended period. Law of sod, for once, I can't find a traffic jam anywhere!!

Now I know it works hands-free for sure, I'll pack a pillow

New feature suggestions:
- I'd add a feature to close the sunroof when it starts raining, and one to open it when the sun comes out.

- A mud measuring system, to automatically highlight Car Washes on the navigation map when the car needs a wash. Mine only seems to get washed when it returns to base (dealers) for some fix that needs doing.

- Auto silhouette in the windows feature, for the said 40 winks period during heavy traffic. Will save on lengthy explanations to the local constabulary
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:12 AM   #96
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5 30D, F15, Prod: 27.11.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Now I know it works hands-free for sure, I'll pack a pillow
Hands free doesn't work for me, it starts warning about 10 seconds after I take off my hand ... then it turns off.

So I would not count on it, working without hands.

It also drops out quickly on narrow lanes, that we have in Switzerland. This is annoying, since it drops off right where I would need it the most.

Also, I have a place on my way to work, where the highway passes a bridge underneath the exit of the highway passes. There is always turns off saying that I'm not on a highway anymore, even though it clearly knows I'm on the highway due to the navigation system.

Having to start it 3 seconds after full stop, is annoying.

So for me currently it's not reliable enough to be very useful, but maybe that's good to stay awake!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #97
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopas View Post
It also drops out quickly on narrow lanes, that we have in Switzerland. This is annoying, since it drops off right where I would need it the most.

Also, I have a place on my way to work, where the highway passes a bridge underneath the exit of the highway passes. There is always turns off saying that I'm not on a highway anymore, even though it clearly knows I'm on the highway due to the navigation system.

!
The narrow lane thing I had too. Once.

The bridge problem and exits is a classic : If your car is under on on a bridge, the nav system knows your location, but it doesn't know if you are on the bridge or under the bridge. So it guesses. And if it guesses wrong, you are no longer on a freeway.

I have the same issue with my Coyote radar warning system: It starts bleeping for red light traffic camera, while I'm in fact on the freeway (the traffic lights are on the road above the freeway)

Strange that your TJA shuts off and mine doesn't ? Problem with my steering wheel sensors ? Country specific setting ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #98
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

EU001939. Congrats on your pushed out order to finally get TJA, very detailed w/up.

Agreed, your described situation for automated pulling towards outer lane on sharp bends would be tough to resist. Also, your example of being in a TJ and the system is in fact off, when you think it is on would indeed create some incitement.

How similar would ACC without TJA be in terms of functionality ( as in Canada we lack TJA)? ACC will bring you to a complete stop. I believe that ACC doses not keep you in the middle of lane. TJA allows you to multitask, sleep, drink coffee with both hands, or use cell phone in on hand to listen to wife and then the other hand to use cell to talk to girlfriend.

Last edited by barcelona; 02-14-2014 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: typo within minute
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #99
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona
EU001939. Congrats on your pushed out order to finally get TJA, very detailed w/up.

Agreed, your described situation for automated pulling towards outer lane on sharp bends would be tough to resist. Also, your example of being in a TJ and the system is in fact off, when you think it is on would indeed create some incitement.

How similar would ACC without TJA be in terms of functionality ( as in Canada we lack TJA)? ACC will bring you to a complete stop. I believe that ACC doses not keep you in the middle of lane. TJA allows you to multitask, sleep, drink coffee with both hands, or use cell phone in on hand to listen to wife and then the other hand to use cell to talk to girlfriend.
The only thing TJA does extra is steer the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #100
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great info... for ordering this option in my F15.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #101
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

If TJA requires hand on wheel to work (as in Dopas's case) then at least it could not require pressing the gas pedal to resume after full stop as the wheel sensor would already make sure the driver is still in the car. If one has to keep a hand on wheel, press pedal to resume going, and the whole thing works only on highways with wide enough lanes - then it is indeed a bit disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #102
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Hands free doesn't work for me, it starts warning about 10 seconds after I take off my hand ... then it turns off.

Confirmed this is correct. It flashes the steering wheel sign after a few seconds hands free, then deactivates with a message to keep hands on the steering wheel.

Pretty half baked feature really, and disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #103
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

I am still confused. I ordered ACC Stop and GO and nearly every option available. Is TJA available in the US? How can I find it on my order? I have a VIN and do not see it listed on VIN tracker.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #104
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
TJA was added to 5AT DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS option, but apparently not in all markets. I'm not sure if U.S. is getting it or not.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #105
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
TJA was added to 5AT DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS option, but apparently not in all markets. I'm not sure if U.S. is getting it or not.
Thanks. I definitely have 5AT on my order. It would be a nice thing to have. Even if it marginally works.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #106
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbar1
I am still confused. I ordered ACC Stop and GO and nearly every option available. Is TJA available in the US? How can I find it on my order? I have a VIN and do not see it listed on VIN tracker.
Mattbar1 - I do not believe that TJA is available in the US market.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #107
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
Mattbar1 - I do not believe that TJA is available in the US market.
Roger that. No TJA in the US for now anyway. Apparently BMW is concerned about liability issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #108
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks USAusi and tiburonh...

Do you think the electrical and mechanical requirements are there, it's just disabled?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #109
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest
Quote:

Confirmed this is correct. It flashes the steering wheel sign after a few seconds hands free, then deactivates with a message to keep hands on the steering wheel.

Pretty half baked feature really, and disappointing.
Well, I tried it again today. Even filmed it with a smartphone. Will post the video later...

My car's TJA will stay on even if I don't touch the steering wheel.

Very strange, because I agree with all of you that the manual states you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

What it could be:

-malfunction in the steering wheel sensor (if so, I will definitely not have it repaired !)
-something in the car or around the steering wheel makes the sensor think you are touching the wheel. Would have to know what the sensor actually measures ? (Heat ? Conductivity ? Proximity switch ? )
-Only in Belgium ? (Ie the feature has been turned off because it is allowed in Belgium ?)
-programming error ?
-karma ?

Any idea's ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #110
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

No ideas but I keep fingers crossed for 'Only in Belgium'
Appreciate 0