DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
On AEC's, you can see a bunch of parallel lines which angle inwards. On BMWN1971's, the middle LCD looks exactly like the middle of my E70. TBH, I thought every F15 would have same look as AEC's but that doesn't seem to be the case.
The vehicles equipped with Driver Assistance Package come with a different instrument cluster called: "Instrument cluster with extended contents" AKA "Extended Black Panel" option 6WA and that's the one with the wide LCD section at the bottom of the instrument cluster with that 3D effect. The ones without that option come with the "standard" instrument cluster. BMW NA's site mentions it clearly on the F10 configurator where it is part of Driver Assistance Package and on the F30 it is part of the Technology Package.

To go yet a bit further, option 6WB is the full LCD instrument cluster available here in USA on the LCI 7 Series and on the M Sport Edition 6 Series and by the way some guys have retrofitted the full LCD cluster to the F10, so very likely that it is possible to retrofit to the F15 too
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

great info - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1er View Post
The vehicles equipped with Driver Assistance Package come with a different instrument cluster called: "Instrument cluster with extended contents" AKA "Extended Black Panel" option 6WA and that's the one with the wide LCD section at the bottom of the instrument cluster with that 3D effect. The ones without that option come with the "standard" instrument cluster. BMW NA's site mentions it clearly on the F10 configurator where it is part of Driver Assistance Package and on the F30 it is part of the Technology Package.

To go yet a bit further, option 6WB is the full LCD instrument cluster available here in USA on the LCI 7 Series and on the M Sport Edition 6 Series and by the way some guys have retrofitted the full LCD cluster to the F10, so very likely that it is possible to retrofit to the F15 too
I can't imagine the cost for that mod - the part alone is probably $2000 .. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Not forgetting that I always lease the car so I try to keep with the minimum needed to have a nice car for 3 years. I love gadgets and details so Driver Assistance Plus, ceramic controls, nappa leather are all amazing options if I were to buy the car and own it for many years. Not the case with a leasing. Again, BMW makes it easy for someone that wants to lease a nice car but not overload it with expensive optionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Yeah I'm with you on that - I chose Surround View for $750 on my order - Driver Assistance Plus includes SV for $1900 - so the difference is $1150 - I left it off mainly due to the 'slippery slope' cost effect of getting carried away with the options :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Not forgetting that I always lease the car so I try to keep with the minimum needed to have a nice car for 3 years. I love gadgets and details so Driver Assistance Plus, ceramic controls, nappa leather are all amazing options if I were to buy the car and own it for many years. Not the case with a leasing. Again, BMW makes it easy for someone that wants to lease a nice car but not overload it with expensive optionals.
I'm not sure I understand the concept of why it's better to forego all the good stuff for three long years just because one is leasing. Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't imagine the cost for that mod - the part alone is probably $2000 .. Lol
Absolutely! this is just tech freaks' stuff (i.e. myself )... even though I doubt I would do this one!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Do you know what differentiates the two other than the Lane Departure warning part and the 3D effects? I'm curious if this is a mainly cosmetic thing or if there are other 'extended' display options not available with the standard cluster. Odd that the F15 order guide makes no mention of this "Extended" cluster ...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely! this is just tech freaks' stuff (i.e. myself )... even though I doubt I would do this one!
Wow! Looks like a component from a 777 glass cockpit ...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you know what differentiates the two other than the Lane Departure warning part and the 3D effects? I'm curious if this is a mainly cosmetic thing or if there are other 'extended' display options not available with the standard cluster. Odd that the F15 order guide makes no mention of this "Extended" cluster ...
I haven't compared them side by side. One of the main advantages that I see is that you can have more content displayed at any given moment and because it is required/part of other packages, there is some content that probably is not possible to see on the regular cluster (speed limit info, lane departure, ACC S&G, FCW and pedestrian detection, etc) leaving aside the fact that it of course looks nicer and more hi-tech. Again, this is my opinion. As said, I haven't analysed both clusters side by side
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #32
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pages 83 and 84 of the owners manual are pretty clear about the differences between the two different instrument clusters.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #33
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow! Looks like a component from a 777 glass cockpit ...
It is SICK! I've driven the 6 GC with and it is really amazing. When you change the drive mode it toggles: ECO - COMFORT - SPORT - SPORT + there is a theme for each mode
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #34
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, the 2014 X5 owners, manual, available here: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910364
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #35
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
My question is regarding the way it looks during the day. Mine lights up in orange the same way your does but during the day the digital parts (time, temperature, odometer, etc...) are all in white but the instrument gauges (speedometer and tachometer) do not light up. I though they would also light up in white where they are in orange during the night. How is yours?
During the day (headlamps off) the gauges display in white and at night (headlamps on) the gauges display in orange. When the car is completely off, there is nothing inside the gauge circles.

I had a conventional gauge cluster in my previous BMW (E92) and I don't think there was any lighting for the tach or speedo during the day. They were lit with orange light only at night.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #36
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

I could be wrong, but I think the owners manual just came out a week or so ago? Not something most of us had back when we ordered in Aug / Sept / Oct.

The problem is the web page, it really is lacking when it comes to showing you all of your options and explaining what each one is.

I am with NikonMan as far as the cost getting out of hand, part of the reason why I did not chose the assist packages. Also, I am really not a fan of those items. If I could have gotten the updated display without all the other stuff, maybe, depending on the cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #37
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresM3 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the owners manual just came out a week or so ago? Not something most of us had back when we ordered in Aug / Sept / Oct.

The problem is the web page, it really is lacking when it comes to showing you all of your options and explaining what each one is.
Agreed. My reason for the original post was because I was unaware that there were different instrument cluster options available in the US. Hopefully people ordering from here on out will be better informed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

More information here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=511489
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

On another thread it is rumored that BMW will release an all LCD instrument cluster in April for the new X5. Based on past history, has BMW added a similar tech option 5 or 6 months into a production year?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
On another thread it is rumored that BMW will release an all LCD instrument cluster in April for the new X5. Based on past history, has BMW added a similar tech option 5 or 6 months into a production year?
I have not seen one on the 5 series yet; so not sure how accurate that is.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
It is available on the 5 series in Europe (has been for some time!) here in the US only in the 6 and the 7 series at the moment (check a few posts above).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F15 M-Sport 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
At the European F15 presentation last weekend I had a chance to play with the full-LCD cluster in F11 LCI and I was affraid that it will be quite artificial (a bit as in a new RRS) but to be honest it's absolutely stunning in real life.
Now, I only have a problem ordering my F15 as full-LCD is not yet available: instant switch from F11 LCI into F15 was like a... travel in time (to the past, of course.... ) the old-style analogue cluster in F15 looks so dated when you compare it to the new all-LCD....
I asked when is it likely to be introduced for F15, and my dealer could only confirm that new set of options (and/or packages) and pricing won't be introduced before 5-6 months after launch, perhaps even at LCI stage.
And already, await time in Germany is 8 (eight!) months...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #43
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

In Europe the extended cluster is bundled together with HUD and is not available as a stand alone option, which is so incredibly stupid that it goes beyond words. HUD doesn't work for me, I don't know if it is related to my contacts or something else but it makes my head hurt. But the standard cluster makes the car feel poor (the small LCD doesn't even cover the entire stretch along the bottom, but stops half way), so I'll have to order HUD for $1500 just for the cluster, which is something like $300 on the 5-series. Small thing, but still very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #44
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81
In Europe the extended cluster is bundled together with HUD and is not available as a stand alone option, which is so incredibly stupid that it goes beyond words. HUD doesn't work for me, I don't know if it is related to my contacts or something else but it makes my head hurt. But the standard cluster makes the car feel poor (the small LCD doesn't even cover the entire stretch along the bottom, but stops half way), so I'll have to order HUD for $1500 just for the cluster, which is something like $300 on the 5-series. Small thing, but still very annoying.
You can turn the HUD off.
Appreciate 0