BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
dencoop
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche (991) 911 C4S Cab

F15 xDrive50i | Problems already :(

Hello to all,

Picked up my new F15 X5 at the PCD on Nov 22nd and drive it straight back to NY (about 700 miles).

As we were driving back 3 issues occurred.

1. The turn signal stalk won't shut off. When you show a full turn signal it never shuts off after completeng the turn. (The triple signal, single stop - when not pushed all the way down works).

2. Pedestrian (Daytime Padastrian Warning Limited) - "Brake Intervention not possible. Consult Service Center.

3. Frontal Collision Warning System - "Malfunction. Brake intervention not available. Consult Service Center.

Dropped off the car at Open Road BMW on Edison NJ on Wednesday at about 9:30AM.

The car has been there Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Today so far.

Here is what I am being told so far: BMW is holding a series of Round table meetings between the dealer, BMW AG and the factory. No parts have been replaced as they are still not sure what can be the issue.

I am told that they are opening up a "TC" (Technical ??)

So basically car was ordered around June, Built in August / finally released on the 15th of November. Picked up on November 22nd and now god knows how long it will be in the service shop.

I feel like on a $97k MSRP car after so my h frustration in getting it just to be back in service and treated like a Ginny Pig is unfair...

I will keep you guys update with a status update but this is just beyond reasonable. The service advisor says it could be a week or it could be a month before they resolve it...I will wait till next week to see if I need to love fw. with contacting BMW NA or if it will be promptly resolved.

I truly hope this is a fluke and no one else experiences these issues.
      12-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop
Hello to all,

Picked up my new F15 X5 at the PCD on Nov 22nd and drive it straight back to NY (about 700 miles).

As we were driving back 3 issues occurred.

1. The turn signal stalk won't shut off. When you show a full turn signal it never shuts off after completeng the turn. (The triple signal, single stop - when not pushed all the way down works).

2. Pedestrian (Daytime Padastrian Warning Limited) - "Brake Intervention not possible. Consult Service Center.

3. Frontal Collision Warning System - "Malfunction. Brake intervention not available. Consult Service Center.

Dropped off the car at Open Road BMW on Edison NJ on Wednesday at about 9:30AM.

The car has been there Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Today so far.

Here is what I am being told so far: BMW is holding a series of Round table meetings between the dealer, BMW AG and the factory. No parts have been replaced as they are still not sure what can be the issue.

I am told that they are opening up a "TC" (Technical ??)

So basically car was ordered around June, Built in August / finally released on the 15th of November. Picked up on November 22nd and now god knows how long it will be in the service shop.

I feel like on a $97k MSRP car after so my h frustration in getting it just to be back in service and treated like a Ginny Pig is unfair...

I will keep you guys update with a status update but this is just beyond reasonable. The service advisor says it could be a week or it could be a month before they resolve it...I will wait till next week to see if I need to love fw. with contacting BMW NA or if it will be promptly resolved.

I truly hope this is a fluke and no one else experiences these issues.
During our trip back from the PCD to N VA, while driving through fog on the blue ridge pkway, errors 2/3 occurred. I assumed it was due to elevation or fog and didn't think much of it. The malfunction disabled two of the driver assistant features but they have all worked fine post driving through the mountains.

I will check #1 but I fear the same behavior is also occurring as I recall a few times where the blinker continues to blink after the turn. Msrp of 90+k as well and would not be happy if we had to take to service for multiple weeks. Hoping your loaner is better than a 320i!
      12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

Sorry to hear this, and I hope they get you sorted quickly. Do they have you in a loaner, at least?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
dencoop
Captain
Rep

Yes, they got me a base 320xi, no Nav, no nothing.

Have 3 kids... It's a pain in the u know what to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Probably a software thing. In theory it should be simple to test with an object, but if doesn't work the car may hit object. If object is too soft the system may not recognize it. Anyhow its with the experts.

I think that they seriously downscaled your loaner. Not only ask for an equivalent vehicle, request to be kept in the loop.

Hopefully very soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Reading this makes me second guess ordering an F15. There are also many reports of serious engine malfunctions over at the Bimmerfest forums. I hope BMW gets your ride fixed Dencoop.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I'd have already started the 30 day "Lemon" clock if it were me. That said, the two Driver Assist faults sound like they come from the same root cause.

I'd bet it's a software bug - which isn't reassuring.

I also suspect that BMW AG and BMW NA haven't missed your social presence on here and Bimmerfest.... which is why I'm amazed they gave you such a crappy loaner. Then again, when you send them a terse email complaining, I wouldn't hesitate to link to various popular posts on here, the 'fest, and YouTube pointing it out

Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
dencoop
Captain
Rep

Yes, this is unreal... I was hoping I don't have to get the Lemon Law Involved...

More Fun Facts... My friend just took delivery of a Black on Black xDrive35i M-Sport - literally just now and has a check engine light on....

I hope his engine is not about to die
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, at least you didn't get the dreaded "Transdrive Malfunction" on your drive back to NY from SC ...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

WOW...I know forums can be a place to complain, and maybe it's only me, but the F15 subforums (here and over at BF) seems to be a hotspot for more and more problems. Perhaps I should convince myself I don't need the new F15 and just hold on to my E70

Check out the internal emails from the Spartanburg Factory....
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=beta
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Reading this makes me second guess ordering an F15. There are also many reports of serious engine malfunctions over at the Bimmerfest forums. I hope BMW gets your ride fixed Dencoop.
+1

As matter of fact, I'm gonna start to look for other options. BMW is a great brand and most of these issues are due to it being Version 1.0, but I don't need this kind of headaches after paying for a 80k car.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop View Post

Tell them to give you something more equivalent to the vehicle that's in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
I'd have already started the 30 day "Lemon" clock if it were me. That said, the two Driver Assist faults sound like they come from the same root cause.

I'd bet it's a software bug - which isn't reassuring.

I also suspect that BMW AG and BMW NA haven't missed your social presence on here and Bimmerfest.... which is why I'm amazed they gave you such a crappy loaner. Then again, when you send them a terse email complaining, I wouldn't hesitate to link to various popular posts on here, the 'fest, and YouTube pointing it out

Keep us posted!
Post something on the BMWUSA twitter--that will get faster response than these forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop View Post

Tell them to give you something more equivalent to the vehicle that's in the shop.
+1. A 3 series as a long term loaner for an X5 is unacceptable. They should have at least given you a 5 or an X3 but even those wouldn't be enough with 3 kids. You are entitled to something of equal utility and safety. At the very least, rent you a Tahoe or something but personally, I would have demanded more. It's not a one day loaner for routine maintenance. Could be a month?? I'm sure they have a CPO X5 on the lot

My wife once had a 328xi loaner for her X3 for a month for body work when she got rear-ended, no fault to BMW nor the dealership. They didn't have to give her any loaner at all, but gave her a 3 for no charge and it took a month to fix the X3.

This being BMW's fault, they need to do better than a 320i on space and utility, let alone the value of what you're paying for over the next month that your car is sitting waiting for a "round table" to figure out why the things they designed aren't working.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Got the "Drivetrain Malfunction" warning this week after leaving the car parked outside the entire day at -2F. Called the dealer and the service advisor I talked said it was a busy day with calls about all types of warnings due to sensors going crazy with the very cold temperatures here. He said if something is really wrong the car would not drive at more than 20mph. In my case the car was perfect and drove fine for 20 miles until I got home. Parked the car overnight in my heated garage and the warning did not pop up anymore. Thus, I am wondering if people are getting warnings because of sensors going crazy with cold temperatures of if something is really wrong.

Quote:
Well, at least you didn't get the dreaded "Transdrive Malfunction" on your drive back to NY from SC ...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
daeONE
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 35d Msport

I agree. They need to up their game on the loaner. Lemoned a fully loaded X3 35i M sport a couple of years ago and had a 5 series loaner for more than a month.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief
WOW...I know forums can be a place to complain, and maybe it's only me, but the F15 subforums (here and over at BF) seems to be a hotspot for more and more problems. Perhaps I should convince myself I don't need the new F15 and just hold on to my E70

Check out the internal emails from the Spartanburg Factory....
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=beta
That's not internal emails that, supposedly is some conversation between a plant worker and a BMW owner. As the post says, take it with a grain of salt. There's no proof that's even real.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
coconut780
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Got the "Drivetrain Malfunction" warning this week after leaving the car parked outside the entire day at -2F. Called the dealer and the service advisor I talked said it was a busy day with calls about all types of warnings due to sensors going crazy with the very cold temperatures here. He said if something is really wrong the car would not drive at more than 20mph. In my case the car was perfect and drove fine for 20 miles until I got home. Parked the car overnight in my heated garage and the warning did not pop up anymore. Thus, I am wondering if people are getting warnings because of sensors going crazy with cold temperatures of if something is really wrong.
There has to be something wrong. The car needs to be able function properly in temperatures much colder than that even if it's just sensors that are the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
+1

As matter of fact, I'm gonna start to look for other options. BMW is a great brand and most of these issues are due to it being Version 1.0, but I don't need this kind of headaches after paying for a 80k car.

Z.
Yeah man I'm kinda thinking on the same lines... And my ordered X5 just started production lol. Maybe we're jumping to conclusions here but I know personally that there is no way on Earth I will have any patience for constant and severe engineering defects on a $82k vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah man I'm kinda thinking on the same lines... And my ordered X5 just started production lol. Maybe we're jumping to conclusions here but I know personally that there is no way on Earth I will have any patience for constant and severe engineering defects on a $82k vehicle...
Same here.

What are you thinking? Another SUV of different brand? Sedan? I'm split between Q7 and 5 Series. But I think Q7 is getting a redesign like the X5 and, because the 5 series just got a redesign, not sure if they have any issues. Gotta lurk the 5 series forum.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Same here.

What are you thinking? Another SUV of different brand? Sedan? I'm split between Q7 and 5 Series. But I think Q7 is getting a redesign like the X5 and, because the 5 series just got a redesign, not sure if they have any issues. Gotta lurk the 5 series forum.

Z.
I like Audi but the Q7 its quite a beast and personally I don't care for the current model's look. Plus its due for a major re-design next year with new engines.

The SQ5 and XC60 R-Spec are very nice as well, but my fear is that they will prove to be too small.

I am not into Porsche's at all (nice but too sporty for me). I cannot stand the look of Japanese cars, and I don't think I can mentally deal with paying $60K plus for a VW, so that excludes the Taureg. Which leaves Mercedes as the only option.

My wife just got into a Genesys R-Spec (fantastic value BTW) - so I really want a crossover/mid-sized SUV.

I will probably end up with the ML550 (although they are kinda girly looking) if I do end up walking away from the X5 ... my CA says my $1000 deposit is refundable - so will see.

I did not expect these type of issues from BMW - I intend to lease, so theoretically if the X5 turns out to be a mess, I suppose its not a huge deal as long as I can get decent loaners.

No decision yet - I am mainly trying to avoid the incessant aggravation and time wasted at dealerships working out major defects. Merc leases suck ass compared to BMW - which is another issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I like Audi but the Q7 its quite a beast and personally I don't care for the current model's look. Plus its due for a major re-design next year with new engines.

The SQ5 and XC60 R-Spec are very nice as well, but my fear is that they will prove to be too small.

I am not into Porsche's at all (nice but too sporty for me). I cannot stand the look of Japanese cars, and I don't think I can mentally deal with paying $60K plus for a VW, so that excludes the Taureg. Which leaves Mercedes as the only option.

My wife just got into a Genesys R-Spec (fantastic value BTW) - so I really want a crossover/mid-sized SUV.

I will probably end up with the ML550 (although they are kinda girly looking) if I do end up walking away from the X5 ... my CA says my $1000 deposit is refundable - so will see.

I did not expect these type of issues from BMW - I intend to lease, so theoretically if the X5 turns out to be a mess, I suppose its not a huge deal as long as I can get decent loaners.

No decision yet - I am mainly trying to avoid the incessant aggravation and time wasted at dealerships working out major defects. Merc leases suck ass compared to BMW - which is another issue.

The good thing about the current Q7 is that it's worked out all of its kinks and was rated Consumer Reports one of most reliable SUVs. And I'm afraid redesign might have V1.0 issues like the X5. Also, I just had an Audi and would like some variety.

I agree with you on the SQ5 and the Volvo. I don't mind Porsches, but already had a Cayenne. Maybe I'll consider a Panamera. I need a four door.

I saw the ML at the LA Auto Show and I wasn't impressed. Like you said, it is a bit girly, and the interior was a bit bland. On top of that, you're right about the lease deals.

There isn't anything from Lexus or Infiniti that I like. Genesis R-Spec is a nice car. Fast as hell, but I had my heart set on a German.

My wife wants me to stick with the X5. She likes it a lot. Maybe I'll stick with another BMW, but I serious have to reconsider this. I don't want to make payments on a loaner car, while mine's at the dealer. Such a frustrating issue.

Z.
Appreciate 0