vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
Has anyone done a direct comparison in the F15? I have the B&O in my 2014 M5, and love it. It has made my wife's HK in her 2012 X5 sound like crap. Is the HK the same one in the previous body style? Anyone do side by side to determine fidelity? About to order her a new X5 and have the B&O boxed ticked. Just want some opinions. Thx!
Glad you asked this question, the feedback helped me greatly!

One other common thread was the leather dash being a worthwhile option. However it appears that I can't get the leather dash with the mocha interior that I want. I thought I'd ask if that is an accurate understanding, or whether there's a special order consideration BMW can do to provide the leather dash in mocha.
see my thread on this topic. the mocha interior design package comes with the leather dash. you should be able to order the standalone leather dash if you opt for the dakota leather. it may not work on the online configurator but it did seem to work on the dealers ordering system.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1009756
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #24
Michiganian
Private
Rep
Drives: Current:Z4

B&O vs. HK

Only briefly listened to HK, but put the B&O into me 35d. The source material variable is very important. I am amazed at the differences among, loaded CDs, including high def versions; iphone through snap-in adapter; Pandora through Connected App; sky radio at various sampling rates from 44khz to 128khz; quality of the original recording. And the list goes on and on.

Having said that, driving on a decent road with high quality source material listening to the B&O is a tremendous experience and feels almost like wearing headphones. Could the sound have been achieved for less money, probably, but in the context of the way above utilitarian transportation investment you make when buying a BMW and if you, like me, plan to keep the vehicle a long time, the premium for The factory designed system probably comes out in the wash.
      07-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
If you're ordering the full Mocha Nappa design package, then it does come with the leather dash.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Mocha Interior Design Package. You gave me the answer I was hoping for!

I also just followed-up, and when you select the Mocha Interior on the BMWUSA configurator page you can actually see the stitching on the dash. I didn't pay attention to that previously, but it confirms what you're saying.

Last edited by gpitts; 07-26-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
see my thread on this topic. the mocha interior design package comes with the leather dash. you should be able to order the standalone leather dash if you opt for the dakota leather. it may not work on the online configurator but it did seem to work on the dealers ordering system.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1009756
Many thanks!
      07-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #27
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganian View Post
Only briefly listened to HK, but put the B&O into me 35d. The source material variable is very important. I am amazed at the differences among, loaded CDs, including high def versions; iphone through snap-in adapter; Pandora through Connected App; sky radio at various sampling rates from 44khz to 128khz; quality of the original recording. And the list goes on and on.

Having said that, driving on a decent road with high quality source material listening to the B&O is a tremendous experience and feels almost like wearing headphones. Could the sound have been achieved for less money, probably, but in the context of the way above utilitarian transportation investment you make when buying a BMW and if you, like me, plan to keep the vehicle a long time, the premium for The factory designed system probably comes out in the wash.
Thx for the feedback,Michigan. Anybody else take a test run at both systems? I too feel the source material is very important and also turning off the EQ on the iPod, and just use the EQ on the B&O. It makes a huge difference on my M5 B&O.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #28
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I listened to the B&O on the X5 vs HK on the X4 same song R&B music and I was like where is the bass on the B&O ? Anyway anyone compared the HIFI to the HK on the X5/6, any difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #29
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Optioned for the HK, didn't want to spend a lot of money on a aftermarket speaker system in here so the $900 is fair Id say for a daily driver
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #30
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I have the B&O in my F10 M5 and F15 X5 and both are awesome. I had the "premium sound" in my '13 X5 and the B&o kills it in every direction although that system was good too. The B&O is worth the price for me. Just adds more sex appeal to the interior. More high end feel/look as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

A couple of days ago had an opportunity to listen to BO and HK in two F16s parked near each other. BO does sound better - but only when a car is idle/stationary. As soon as you start engine and drive away, ambient noise significantly dilutes BO advantages over HK. Financially I was fully prepared to opt for BO, but found it to be marginally better in daily driving situations. So went for HK
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #32
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshevtsov View Post
A couple of days ago had an opportunity to listen to BO and HK in two F16s parked near each other. BO does sound better - but only when a car is idle/stationary. As soon as you start engine and drive away, ambient noise significantly dilutes BO advantages over HK. Financially I was fully prepared to opt for BO, but found it to be marginally better in daily driving situations. So went for HK
Did you compare the bass sound of the two?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #33
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy
Quote:
Did you compare the bass sound of the two?
My goal was to compare overall impression. So no, I have not made any bass-specific comparisons. I would observe, however, that crossover cut-off frequency is better tuned on HK (for my ear). BO's cutoff seems to be lower, which makes me feel there is certain gap in the range. So for 'acoustic' styles requiring flat response I would prefer HK. BO seems to be somewhat 'punchier', possibly explained by a more powerful amplifier.

And one more observation - HK seems to better digest lossy files/radio. BO is not forgiving, it is that crisp and sharp.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My goal was to compare overall impression. So no, I have not made any bass-specific comparisons. I would observe, however, that crossover cut-off frequency is better tuned on HK (for my ear). BO's cutoff seems to be lower, which makes me feel there is certain gap in the range. So for 'acoustic' styles requiring flat response I would prefer HK. BO seems to be somewhat 'punchier', possibly explained by a more powerful amplifier.

And one more observation - HK seems to better digest lossy files/radio. BO is not forgiving, it is that crisp and sharp.
Noted that for regular use HK or HIFI was good enough and felt B&O suited for stage type of music. But the B&O looks stunning though!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #35
AGV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Recently, I compared the sound of HK (F15) and B&O (F86). I listened mostly POP music and Progressive - Hard House. All settings were by default.

Bass in my opinion better on HK (even the butt feels it better), while high frequencies are on B&O. And when make louder, on HK high frequencies turns into mess, and on B&O remains crystal-clear.
If from drivers point of view, as for me, the HK system fits in BMW much better. In HK the sound is softer, so to speak. Also in the B&O design, this center speaker in my opinion distracts from driving.
I very long thought what to choose and eventually stopped on B&O (simply because it is more expensive), but I still am not sure that made a right choice.

HK is much better harmonize with BMW and less distracts from driving, although the В&О sounds overall a bit better.
B&O distracts and with a sound (not enough bass and a lot of high frequencies), and with the design and with the central speaker, in difference from HK which fits into BMW like a native.

As I am not going to install a custom sound, I decided to choose the most expensive - В&О (on F85). At most, perhaps, I follow the advice of forum members and will install in the trunk 12W7A (someone have any ideas how to better integrate it into the existing system?). But considering what is written above, I very much doubt that made a right choice.

Last edited by AGV; 06-20-2015 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #36
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I went purely on a looks standpoint and got the B&O, the speakers just make the interior look a step up.

Edit---- Didn't notice I was in the X5 forum I thought I was in the 6 series forum. I got the B&O on the X5 too, but it doesn't change the interior as drastically as it does on the 6 series.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #37
M3 Chris
Private
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, X7 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I went purely on a looks standpoint and got the B&O, the speakers just make the interior look a step up.

Edit---- Didn't notice I was in the X5 forum I thought I was in the 6 series forum. I got the B&O on the X5 too, but it doesn't change the interior as drastically as it does on the 6 series.
Me too. The fact that the center speaker pops up and down had me sold. I like gadgets and it makes the car much more luxurious looking.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:47 AM   #38
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGV View Post
Recently, I compared the sound of HK (F15) and B&O (F86). I listened mostly POP music and Progressive - Hard House. All settings were by default.

Bass in my opinion better on HK (even the ass feels it better), while high frequencies are on B&O. And when make louder, on HK high frequencies turns into mess, and on B&O remains crystal-clear.
If from drivers point of view, as for me, the HK system fits in BMW much better. In HK the sound is softer, so to speak. Also in the B&O design, this center speaker in my opinion distracts from driving.
I very long thought what to choose and eventually stopped on B&O (simply because it is more expensive), but I still am not sure that made a right choice.

HK is much better harmonize with BMW and less distracts from driving, although the В&О sounds overall a bit better.
B&O distracts and with a sound (not enough bass and a lot of high frequencies), and with the design and with the central speaker, in difference from HK which fits into BMW like a native.

As I am not going to install a custom sound, I decided to choose the most expensive - В&О (on F85). At most, perhaps, I follow the advice of forum members and will install in the trunk 12W7AE. But considering what is written above, I very much doubt that made a right choice.
I thought the HK sounded better too.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #39
JustAnotherGuy
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I too was turned off by the sticker of the BO so I opted for the HK. I'm no audiophile but it sounds REALLY good to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #40
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I had the HK in my previous X5 and now have the B&O.

The main thing I can tell is no matter how you set the EQ you can not over drive the B&O. I can not get it to distort at all. That is a huge plus for me since in the old X5 I could get it to sound dead if I turned the volume up too loud.

You can max the volume on the B&O with out worries.

I would either do a custom audio system or get a B&O after experiencing the 2. So for me I'm happy with the B&O. I didn't buy a $100k car to have it ripped apart and have after market crap installed. I do not need my bolts vibrating loose from the bass. I'm a rocker anyway and don't really listen to rap.

So for Rock music the B&O is real good, if you want your license plate to rattle and buzz on the outside of your X5, maybe you should have just bought an old crown vic and dropped $10k on a audio system.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #41
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

+1 for the "insanely high" sticker price on the B&O. I've been pretty happy with the HK system. I could by no means justify paying the extra high cost for the B&O. As said above, that money is better spent with upgrading the H&K system, which will give you better performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #42
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I'm an audiophile, I have a listening room with sound dampening and bass trapping in my house. The HK system is noticeably better than stock. The BO system is even better, but the cost is out of this world. You'll get much better than the BO for less money if you take the car to a custom shop and have them install new speakers/amps and a high end subwoofer. For me, the BO system, while nice, is just too much money for what you get, if it was 1500 bucks, I would have gotten it. But 4-5K? For that price, you better have bass that can shake the house when your parked in the garage coupled with incredibly powerful, clean, clear and crisp highs. The BO system has good (not great) highs, but the bass is simply not up to par for that kind of money. You need a big woofer (10-12") and serious power (500-1500 watts) to really shake the earth with a sound system.

If you want the best, get the BO and take it to a custom shop and have them drop a W7 in the back. Or, for a huge step down in price, get the HK system and take that to a custom shop for a W7 install. That'll crush the BO system for visceral experience and most people won't notice the lack of some midrange punch.

Or, if you really want to go all out, get the stock system, take it to a custom shop and have them do it up. New speakers all the way around, amps for everything, and a W7 in the back. Probably 3-5K and I'll absolutely humiliate the BO system.

If you're leasing, the BO makes more sense because you are only paying for 40% of it (where you'd have to pay 100% of a custom install). If you're buying longer term, I'd go custom if you want the best.
Damn, you brought me back to the past with this post. I had the JL 12W7 with the High Output Red and Black custom box in my Maxima, about 10 years ago, connected to the 1000w mono class D JL amp. WOWWW, people thought I had 4 subs in the back, when they saw just 1, their head popped off. lol, You know what I mean, right?

I think the JL 10W7 would be perfect in the X5, especially if its hidden somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #43
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

JL makes some kick a$$ products...I ran two 10W04's back in the day, ah...the memories.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #44
AGV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

That is how looks H&K speakers on F15

Does anyone have similar pictures of B&O speakers on F15?
I have a suspicion that H&K sounds softer, due to the paper speakers, unlike metallic in B&O.

Last edited by AGV; 06-15-2015 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0