BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Is The F15 X5 "Fun"?

I'm trying to not be pretentious here, and out of all the problems to have this one is certainly not bad.

I realize we are talking about a 2.5 ton vehicle with an automatic transmission, but... here is my dilemma:

I have five cars currently. I really only have room for two. One of the two MUST be my "street legal" mostly dedicated track Z4M Coupe. I also currently have an older Lexus GX470, e92 M3, and Fiat Abarth. I need something capable of towing the Z to the track and also get me around Minnesota winters. The GX does so very well and is cheap to maintain. But is boring as heck to drive. The Fiat gets me around unless there is a lot of snow, and the M3 is mostly a summer car.

So I'm considering the new F15 with B/O and M-Sport, either the s35i or x35d, to replace the Fiat, M3, and GX.

I've had trouble not having a manual transmission for a DD in the past, which concerns me. I'm on the list for an M2, but the specs are a little underwhelming, and being an audiophile I am not impressed with the HK in the M235i or F80. If the chassis is good enough on the F15, I could maybe make it work. Stringing together corners can be fun even in a heavy car, as long as the steering/chassis is good. Getting 30mpg highway on the diesel would also be great.

Any thoughts/input/criticisms are welcome. This is the Internet after all...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

We had a Lexus RX450h and, in most respects, it worked very well. But as you expressed with driving your GX, I found the RX boring.

I find our X5 35d to be fun to drive and am regularly impressed with how responsive it is. Now this is relative to the size and type of car it is and as much as a I like (and I do very much), my 128i is certainly more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have a z4m...and I enjoy driving the f15. I have a 35i with m performance tune and m exhaust.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
F15 is fun compared to its class... The dry boring Mercedes (whatever class) or the outdated-designed Q7.
Can not compare it to a sedan.
If I could afford a 2nd car, an M6 would have been right beside the F15.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Save the money on B/O and put it into DHP.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose
Save the money on B/O and put it into DHP.
Dynamic damper control, or adaptive M suspension? Or both?

Why do you suggest skipping the B/O? Have you heard it and are not impressed? None of the dealers around here with X5s on the lot have either of the suspension upgrades OR B/O so I will have to go off of individual reviews to make a decision if I go this route.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post

Why do you suggest skipping the B/O? Have you heard it and are not impressed? None of the dealers around here with X5s on the lot have either of the suspension upgrades OR B/O so I will have to go off of individual reviews to make a decision if I go this route.
DHP is more than that. It adds active anti-roll and torque vector. At the same, it improves steering feel especially in sport mode. Do some search and you will see.

B/O is great, but IMO it's not worth the $ while DHP is worth every penny that makes X5 a true BMW. If you have the $, get both.

You want fun, DHP is a must.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Very fun indeed. Easy to forget you're driving an SUV.
      11-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose
Quote:

DHP is more than that. It adds active anti-roll and torque vector. At the same, it improves steering feel especially in sport mode. Do some search and you will see.

B/O is great, but IMO it's not worth the $ while DHP is worth every penny that makes X5 a true BMW. If you have the $, get both.

To be clear, what does dhp stand for, and which option from BMW does it match up to?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
To be clear, what does dhp stand for, and which option from BMW does it match up to?
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package $4500...an absolute must have...it includes:
  • 2VP Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization $3600
  • 2VF Adaptive M Suspension (with Msport) $900

Adaptive M Suspension = Active Air Shocks (stiff on smooth roads, compliant on bumpy!)
Dynamic Performance Control = Torque Vectoring Rear Diff (drives car to the apex!)
Active Roll Stabilization = Anti Roll Bars with motors to provide active antitwist!! (FLAT cornering!!)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh
Quote:
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package $4500...an absolute must have...it includes:
  • 2VP Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization $3600
  • 2VF Adaptive M Suspension (with Msport) $900

Adaptive M Suspension = Active Air Shocks (stiff on smooth roads, compliant on bumpy!)
Dynamic Performance Control = Torque Vectoring Rear Diff (drives car to the apex!)
Active Roll Stabilization = Anti Roll Bars with motors to provide active antitwist!! (FLAT cornering!!)
Thank you. I was confused because when you build out an s35i, you don't get that option. Just the adaptive M suspension. On the xDrive is where it is available.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

At the BMW Performance Center West they maintain a comprehensive fleet of ALL of BMWs best toys. Curious about the employees choice of all the vehicles that they have the most fun with the reply is to just point, at the X5M!

Yes, really.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #13
BGR
Captain
Rep

I can't find great info on interior dimensions, but it would appear that rear cargo volume with the second row folded "flat" actually decreased from 76cu ft in the e70 to 66cu ft in the F15. Does that seem correct? Visually, the F15 looks larger in the rear since the D pillar is more rounded...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Fun? No. Enjoyable? Yes. My definition of having fun is putting the top down on my SL550, turn on sport mode, and enjoy 400 hp and 400 ft lbs of torque while carving up twisty roads with an F1 inspired suspension. But my 35d can get 30+ mpg, be extremely quiet inside, seat 4 people in comfort and provide a touring type ride that is quite good all at 80 mph on a trip down the interstate.

And mine does not have active suspension nor does it have run flat tires.

Last edited by 42pilot; 11-27-2015 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post

I agree with vangoose on B/O...the H/K is perfect enough for what you get in a 4x8 space...unless you have money to spare...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #16
Kewl X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR
I'm trying to not be pretentious here, and out of all the problems to have this one is certainly not bad.

I realize we are talking about a 2.5 ton vehicle with an automatic transmission, but... here is my dilemma:

I have five cars currently. I really only have room for two. One of the two MUST be my "street legal" mostly dedicated track Z4M Coupe. I also currently have an older Lexus GX470, e92 M3, and Fiat Abarth. I need something capable of towing the Z to the track and also get me around Minnesota winters. The GX does so very well and is cheap to maintain. But is boring as heck to drive. The Fiat gets me around unless there is a lot of snow, and the M3 is mostly a summer car.

So I'm considering the new F15 with B/O and M-Sport, either the s35i or x35d, to replace the Fiat, M3, and GX.

I've had trouble not having a manual transmission for a DD in the past, which concerns me. I'm on the list for an M2, but the specs are a little underwhelming, and being an audiophile I am not impressed with the HK in the M235i or F80. If the chassis is good enough on the F15, I could maybe make it work. Stringing together corners can be fun even in a heavy car, as long as the steering/chassis is good. Getting 30mpg highway on the diesel would also be great.

If there is snow, why S drive 35i?
You should get XDrive

Get DHP.

ENJOY

If you want a beast, get the 50i. However, you mentioned towing and 35d will be the best of both worlds with fuel economy and torque for towing.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR

If there is snow, why S drive 35i?
You should get XDrive

Get DHP.

ENJOY

If you want a beast, get the 50i. However, you mentioned towing and 35d will be the best of both worlds with fuel economy and torque for towing.
With the added ground clearance on an X5, snow tires are all I really need to get through the worst winter up here. Moot point though since...

All of this being said, I went and took some measurements today and unfortunately I think the back cargo area will be too small for my needs. I have a couple Great Danes, and with the seats folded down I don't think they would be able to even stand.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #18
BGR
Captain
Rep

Also, listened to the B/O in a new F10 M5 at the dealer and was not impressed. Would make me nervous checking that box on the X5, but would still like to hear a comparison from an audiophile who has listened to both.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #19
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Coming from an Audi SQ5 (V6 Twin turbo TDI in Australia), I'd say not as much. Individually, yes. The X5 however is more comfortable by a long shot.

The BMW doesn't have that same presence from the drivers seat. Part of it is certainly the fact that Audi fake the sound inside and out, while BMW are only faking the sound on the interior on the M50d. Further on that, the sound the Audi fakes is much better than the BMW.

So while I do find the BMW fun, and it certainly moves quicker (not on paper but it does) and drives better than the Audi, it's missing some atmosphere which the Audi provides. You wouldn't think that matters when the BMW is the better performer / drive, but it does.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #20
BGR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX
Coming from an Audi SQ5 (V6 Twin turbo TDI in Australia), I'd say not as much. Individually, yes. The X5 however is more comfortable by a long shot.

The BMW doesn't have that same presence from the drivers seat. Part of it is certainly the fact that Audi fake the sound inside and out, while BMW are only faking the sound on the interior on the M50d. Further on that, the sound the Audi fakes is much better than the BMW.

So while I do find the BMW fun, and it certainly moves quicker (not on paper but it does) and drives better than the Audi, it's missing some atmosphere which the Audi provides. You wouldn't think that matters when the BMW is the better performer / drive, but it does.
Interesting perspective, thanks. I was surprised that he Q5/SQ5 can tow 4,400 lbs.

I am going to see what the new Q7 brings in terms of fun factor and comfort/technology.

The new XC90 is also on my list, but I have a feeling that is as fun to drive as a phone book.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #21
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I find it very fun to drive for what it is, especially in Sport+ mode. Coming from F350's and F150's as daily drivers to the X5 has been a treat!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #22
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I've found one of the most enjoyable modes in day to day driving is actually comfort with S transmission.

The ride and acceleration are perfectly smooth while being a little more responsive on shifts.

When driving in Sport or Sport+ with S transmission, it can be a little jerky unless you have some open road.

The majority of my driving is in traffic, either start/stop or slow moving, so the opportunities to move quickly are rarer than i'd like.

In Sport+ with S transmission on an open road, it's a rocket ship.

The M50d really moves along and the power makes the car incredibly fun to drive.
Appreciate 0