BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Wiper Spoiler for X5 ?

Has anybody ever used one of these Wiper Spoiler and can tell me if they work like said...or if this is just some "myth".

MEDIUM http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fyralip-Aria...BVrO50&vxp=mtr

LARGE http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fyralip-Aria...3D261974552791

Last edited by MrTookies; 11-29-2015 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
No need.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
No need.
Based on?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies
Based on?
Based on... common sense? Sorry to be snide, but what real upside do you see from sticking this thing on your hood?
If you're trying to get extra downforce to the blades themselves, get wipers that have an integrated spoiler. Even then I'd say the majority of issues still go back to having worn or dirty wipers/windshields, not the lack of downforce.
If you like the look, that's one thing and you should go for it, but it serves no real benefit IMO.
      11-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies View Post
Based on?
Looks like you made your mind already...
      11-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Based on... common sense? Sorry to be snide, but what real upside do you see from sticking this thing on your hood?
If you're trying to get extra downforce to the blades themselves, get wipers that have an integrated spoiler. Even then I'd say the majority of issues still go back to having worn or dirty wipers/windshields, not the lack of downforce.
If you like the look, that's one thing and you should go for it, but it serves no real benefit IMO.
Well I guess you did not read the item description then...Purpose : "Deflects debris and bugs away from the windshield"...It has actually no function to the wipers is my understanding, probably just gets the name from the location...and the function is more as deflecting wind up in front of the windshield...either way the thought behind it is pretty cool in my opinion...just if it really works was more the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Looks like you made your mind already...
HAHA not really, Im not to fond of the look but more in if it actually does what it says. I might think about it again...just to buy it and see if it works naah not gonna happen xD Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I guess you did not read the item description then...Purpose : "Deflects debris and bugs away from the windshield"...It has actually no function to the wipers is my understanding, probably just gets the name from the location...and the function is more as deflecting wind up in front of the windshield...either way the thought behind it is pretty cool in my opinion...just if it really works was more the question...
Look, i happen to know a bit about aerodynamics and can assure you, that thing is noting but extra weight in a wiper then anything it claims. IMHO does not even look good....
      11-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Look, i happen to know a bit about aerodynamics and can assure you, that thing is noting but extra weight in a wiper then anything it claims. IMHO does not even look good....
That was my thought :-), was actually hoping it was something that would do something really cool...or rather work as advertised. Maybe somebody got so convinced and bought it and would be able to contribute to this thread.... oh well Thanks for the comments
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #9
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That was my thought :-), was actually hoping it was something that would do something really cool...or rather work as advertised. Maybe somebody got so convinced and bought it and would be able to contribute to this thread.... oh well Thanks for the comments
No problem
      11-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies
Well I guess you did not read the item description then...Purpose : "Deflects debris and bugs away from the windshield".
That's even worse of a reason. The downforce argument would've held more water. Regardless, looks like artem123 has provided enough expert advice for you.

ps I actually use an equivalent of this PUF spoiler on my DD. It's a perfect little lip spoiler a la e46 and b5 A4s
      11-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Billions of $$ companies spend to make the cars more aero and people still think this is appropriate.

If the seller has wind tunnel tested these I'd like to see results, before and after.

Other than that completely useless in reality.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #12
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Billions of $$ companies spend to make the cars more aero and people still think this is appropriate.

If the seller has wind tunnel tested these I'd like to see results, before and after.

Other than that completely useless in reality.
Great comment ! Didn't think about it from that perspective! Love it ??.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #13
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I am not an engineer, but I play one at home. That area to which this thing mounts, close to the lower part of the windshield, has negative pressure relative to the highest pressure areas: front of the hood and top of the windshield. Those two areas have the highest pressure and any third party devices mounted there would slightly alter the pressure points against the skin/surface of the car and turbulence above the roof. This is why the front of the hood mounted bug shields you see on trucks achieve something. That something itself won't be a free lunch. They could well deflect the projectiles away from the hood and into the glass. I would also avoid due to reasons cited by others above.
      11-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
masc2279
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6 //M-Sport

Quote:
Has anybody ever used one of these Wiper Spoiler and can tell me if they work like said...or if this is just some "myth".

MEDIUM http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fyralip-Aria...BVrO50&vxp=mtr

LARGE http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fyralip-Aria...3D261974552791
So my BMW X5 2008 had a similar wing built into it funny enough when i got it from the dealer ages ago. My new X6 does not. So the idea is sound somewhat. I might have the OEM replacement assembly here somewhere when i swapped it out for my old x5 if i do i will take a picture of it. But would i add these to my car ... No. Can add so many issues ... wind whistle wind vibration to much pressure if there is ice to ruin the wiper blades the list goes on.
2015 BMW X6 //M-Sport //M-Performance Power Kit, Black Sapphire Metallic, Terra Dakota Leather, Night Vision W/Pedestrian Detection, Adaptive Lighting, Ambiance Lighting, Led Fog Lights, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound, Heads Up Display. Rear Seat Entertainment, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package.
Appreciate 1