07-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #68
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Nice indeed

Fantastic AtlantiQue! Great colours.

I have been away a lot for work, and have only driven about 500km with our car, and still very happy. Nothing bad so far.
Haven't had time to study all the bells and whistles so far, but what I especially like, is the topview camera.
Makes it easy to park and align the car for example between the white markers at a narrow parking lot.

Still haven't found how to display music lists i.e. on the harddrive in the media mode. Maybe a playlist firstly must be made for all the songs you want to listen to? I want to see what the next song to be played would be - not only guess/search by pushing the "forward" button. So advanced this system - but part of the fun is to figure out things like this I feel.

Mostly drove in comfort mode, and tested out the comfort Pro a few times. Interesting to feel how the engine releases from the geartrain on the motorway and see the "km+" indication increases.

Thanks
Bent
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #69
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

Thanks Alegria and thanks Bent. It is sparkling brown, indeed and terra dakota. I liked this combination although could easily be seduced by any other color too, from mineral white through imperial blue to sophisto grey or saphire black. They all look great.

I have driven only 200km so far and still know little about the car but will do some 2.5K - 3K km soon on vacation so this will hopefully change the game for me. I have stored music collection on the hard drive but created the playlists on a PC first and imported them to the vehicle along with all the songs. I am not sure if you can create playlists from within the car other than saving them as favorites first.

I tested park assist once. It worked perfect and made the car fit into a rather tight parking space but it takes a lot of cold blood from a driver not to hit the brake pedal or grab the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #70
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 25d sdrive

Over halfway the waiting now. Almost six months since ordering on March 3, a little over four months till delivery mid Jauary. Dealer told me production is planned for week 47 when I called him this week. They also told me they had a 25d sdrive available in sparkling brown. Now, that's exactly what I ordered so I gladfully accepted their offer and took the opportunity to drive the car for an hour or two on highway, large and small roads and in city traffic.

Engine never felt underpowered, and was very silent. Only when accelerating hard, you could hear the engine and tell it was the 4-cylinder. Gear changes were very smooth, great transmission in all modes. I think it is indeed a step up from my current Audi Q5 2.0 diesel. Off course, the 6-cylinder is a better engine (power, noise) but i'm totally convinced about my choice anyhow.

sDrive versus xDrive ? I drive an Audi Quattro today and never felt that I lacked grip with the RWD BMW whatever I tried with the car. But I'm a "responsible" driver, never seeking the limits of physics nor am I a fan of visiting ski resortscin winter, so I'm convinced the sDrive will do for my intended purposes and cruising area.

The car had the upgraded comfort suspension which I did not order, in combination with 19" RF wheels. Ride was much softer than I expected as I heard lots of negative about RF tyres. Since all available test models I have driven had a kind of suspension upgrade and I ordered with the standard suspension, I still wonder how the ride will be ?

I'm finally convinced about the sparkling brown. You don't see many of them on the road here in Belgium so I was curious to see how this colour looked on the X5. And it is nice : it is actually quite dark even in sunlight but depending on the angle, it changes every time and you get many shades of black and dark brown. I really like it as it is something different from all the white, grey and black cars we see on our roads.

The interior was ivory nappa while I have ordered terra dakota instead. I'm still hesitating between the terra, canberra beige (brightens up the cabin but probably gets dirty very quickly) and the black (classic but I've had black interiors for over 20 years now). Entire family has different opinion on color combo, will have to decide myself.

Interior is very refined. The car had most of the options I ordered (exclusive package, MC seats) but came with the standard hifi which I found lacked power and was not that good on the basses. I'm glad I ordered the HK instead.

Overall happy to get confirmation about my choice and no intention to swap my order to a 330d GT as I was initially planning. Love the larger interior and higher driving position of the X5 and willing to give up the 3.0 litre diesel for that.

Now, let's hope our new government which is being formed does not again increase co2 taxes and fiscal taxation of company lease cars (like they already did couple of years ago) cause that would spoil the happy mood I'm in even though it's still more than a four month wait till delivery.

Greets,
Alain
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #71
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Time

- your time is surely going slow when waiting. :-)
Good you got to drive a similar car again!

As of my own experience now- I think that in general you will not miss more of the engine. Of course - you can ALWAYS look for more - but that's the human nature I think. The "grass is greener on the other side" and so on... But this is not the States with low gas prices-its Europe.
I am happy with the 25d engine. No limits - I would surely want the 50d - but this is Norway (and I believe Belgium and Norway are two of the most car-taxed countries in the world that BMW adapts the down-tuned 25d models for) - and with this in mind - I am happy.
The diesel usage (l/km) is excellent, and at the same level as our former Volvo XC60 - just with more kick and the superb 8-speed box.

I am fine with the std. suspension and 19" wheels too. I have lowered the air-pressure in the wheels from what it was delivered with, about 3.0 bar. I am down to about 2.5 bar now (still a bit above the advised range in the door-sticker), both in the display and on my very own digital meter - and it feels more steady and safer on the road.
Not sure why they put so much air in the tires. But you can feel its a big car by the handling.

There are a few details that I wish could be different, but it's not really big issues and I can live with it. Like the radio stays on until you lock the car (I feel it should switch off when opening the door - at latest) ...the cabin main roof-light turns on when you press the engine stop button (its very bright and I am used to just push a "0" button on the roof and it's gone, here it's not) and the automatic start/stop button should SURELY (for me) be OFF in default position - or possible to program to that setting. I am all for a good environment, but it's just-super annoying and totally - I do not think this feature will safe the world after all...

Details...

Cheers
Bent
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #72
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

So, when I see a car exactly like mine (sparkling brown, terra, 25d) in the streets of Belgium in a couple of months I will know it is you, Alain . This color is very demanding but if treated well, washed clean, waxed and shined with quick detailer it will turn rewarding.

Holidays over I have now driven 4000 km including two rides of 1300km and some 12+ hours behind the wheel each trip. Had a chance to test all - ACC stop and go in a motorway and city traffic, traffic jam assistant on a German highway and a smart high beam on an unlit local road diversion in Germany as well. All work perfect, the car is a charm.

Totally agree with Bent, standard suspension and run flat tires on 19" wheels give a surprisingly smooth ride. Happy with the engine, too, although at the speed of 150 km/h the car used 10 litres per 100 km. I expected better but maybe because I have never driven an 4x4 SUV before. When I drove moderately during the break-in period with the speed of 120-130km/h and in eco-pro mode the car burnt 6.8 litres. I did not expect to see such a big difference especially after the break-in period when car's fuel consumption should settle at some lower level. Looks like each 10km/h added to your cruising speed will cost you well over one extra litre of diesel fuel per each 100km.

As for taxation, had I lived 500 meters away (i.e. outside of Brussels administrative border) I would pay 500 euros registration fee instead of 5000 euros for a 35d engine (if I opted for one). This is a ten times difference on exactly the same vehicle engine between two administrative regions within the same country! I do not know if Norway could beat that .
      08-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #73
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Well atantiQue, it's not going to be me since I changed the interior color on my order from terra to canberra beige today. But I kept Sparkling Brown on the outside

I wasn't fully convinced about the terra, but did not want a black interior either. I thought the combination of a dark exterior and light interior suited the car better. Now let's see how quickly this interior will get dirty enough for me to regret my decision
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #74
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

here´s one:

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #75
BEX5x25d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 25d Xdrive

Hi all ! I am new to the forum but I've been following all posts since I ordered my X5 25d Xdrive. It's my first BMW and my previous car was a '09 VW Touareg 2.5TDI chipped 204HP/450NM (which I compare to). It's the first time I had to wait so looong for a car (ordered in February - build mid-July) and finally (after insisting) to get delivery last week (was asked for June but initial planning showed October 2014!!!!). I drove so far 40% motorway and around 60% in the city. Today I have already several hundreds of KM’s so I believe it is time to give a first feedback (of course it is my personal opinion and experiences so far).

Why 25d?
I was hesitating first between the X5 and the Porsche Macan 3L. However with the budget I have I would have ended-up with an almost bare-bon equipped Porsche and a lot higher running costs. From a fiscal perspective here in Belgium the X5 25d is "cheaper" to run. It is also supposed to consume less while the engine is more than enough for the speed limits and accompanying speeding tickets (I don't need to get them faster!). The engine specs HP/Torque are equivalent to my Touareg but it handles much better.
It gets well along in traffic so I don't regret at all nor do I feel underpowered either. I guess some will miss the 6 cyl sound but it is even hard to hear the 4cyl inside so it only counts when you care about the people outside :-) !.
I don't use a trailer so I didn't take this into consideration for more torque but other than a 750Kg trailer I cannot use without changing my driving license here :-(.
The ECO-PRO mode I used a lot (out of curiosity I presume) it's not for a sporty driving style but rather cruising and I am still curious to see how low I can go with the consumption. Only the start-stop kicks-in to fast and is even annoying especially in queuing situation. To cater for this I put the handle in sport to avoid an engine stop.
The consumption is currently still going down, when I drive a steady 50KM/h it consumes around 4.9L at 120KM I am around +7L. Currently my average has dropped to 8.2L/100KM (thanks to motorway use) and seems still to drop. I like the coasting option, which keeps the car going when you don't hit the gas. As with my Touareg the consumption is in the accelerations, sporty driving (seems to keep it around 10L) and stop/start traffic.

Why X-drive?
I see a lot of discussions around X or S-drive, my opinion here is certainly not scientific but I just want to share that I was not sure about RWD (only had a 340/740 VOLVO's with RWD and recalled the icy feeling handling) and heard also from colleagues that drove RWD BMW's that they are not so happy with the handling in more difficult conditions (icy, snowy weather) and yes they even use winter tyres. If it would have been a FWD, I might have considered the S-drive. Secondly the dealer did not recommend it for resale.

Options:
Got a headache about this, I never had this with VW but the options and mandatory combinations make it an (expensive) puzzle. I changed 3 times the configuration during my waiting time (you can change up to two weeks before the actual production - according to the dealer). Also hard to find a BMW that is not fully loaded in order to have an idea on how it would look like without the option(s) (so I read a lot, looked at pictures and used the configurator to get impressions). The dealer is not a real help in this.

Outside:
I had to keep an eye on the overall price as the insurance would otherwise require a tracker+$ub$cription (that get hacked anyway by the professionals) so I kept the options below this limit. I took the X25d without any additional exterior kit (No-line equivalent in US) this is a good combination with the sophisto grey colour. Only I kept the Chrome line (standard since April 2014 builds), alu roof rails and the 449 19" alloys. The 19" are the only ones that can be equipped with all season tyres (which I use). Although I admit that 20" look much "fatter" and "sexier". I have the standard suspension with the 19" Run flat 255/50 all season tyres, I can only say that the ride is very comfortable and even better (=softer handling of bumps) than my Touaregs 17" 255/60 all seasons. About the panoramic sunroof, I didn't use it much (weather wasn't that great) but I miss the option to open it with the sun shade partially closed (only possible in the "aeration" mode).

Inside:
- With the post April 2014 build I got the Driving assistant (Collision and pedestrian detection + lane departure) for "free". Not sure about these collision detection and braking but I hope it will work when needed.
- I took the standard memory seats with Dakota leather and they look very nice and are fine for me (noticed that a lot of people can't live without comfort seats) but compared to my previous car they are already real improvement and they even look better than in the configurator. May be the seating could be a bit longer to better support the legs.
- The Sport steering wheel I only took because of the chrome trim which integrates well with the chrome on the dash and central console. I like it very much although this should be standard instead of an additional 145euros !
- The American Oak (dark) as interior trim goes very well with the mocha Dakota leather, but I am worried about scratching it as you will probably see it very well on its glossy surface.
- The PDC with rear view camera works fine but when doing manoeuvres (e.g. drive and turn with cars parked at the side) the automatic PDC kicks-in too slow or not at all which forces me to activate it manually. The surround view would have been a useful option I should have considered (again 800euros extra).
- Kids like the LED ambient light but need to clarify with the dealer (the leds in the back of the front seats can only change between orange and blue. While the Bue/white/Blue combination results in Blue/white/white in the front ???).
- Head-up display is nice but not a must for me, probably not used to use it and still find myself looking at the Dash :-).
- The 9LS HIFI audio system (6LS standard) is hardly better than in my VW without subwoofer and 10LS which had even tweeters in the back doors (standard!). I should have saved the money and either kept the standard or go to higher (again more $$$).
- The big iDrive Control Display is nice and clear but I miss my touch screen, it takes me much longer to do stuff and gets me distracted during driving.
- I do not understand why BMW requires an additional 50€ (as a non smoker) for the smoker package in order to have "ash" trays in the backdoors. My kids used it in my previous car as a garbage container for their candy papers (practical and yes they shouldn't eat candy).

Price increase:
- Between ordering (Feb 2014) and final delivery (End of Aug 2014) the invoice increased with 400euros (incl. taxes) but didn't have to pay the increase (lucky me).

Conclusion:
I really like the car, much better look than my VW and despite the remarks I can only say that so far I am very happy with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by BEX5x25d; 09-03-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #76
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEX5x25d View Post
Hi all ! I am new to the forum
Welcome to the forum and to the 25d family! Your car looks great, I really like it. Congratulations.
      09-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #77
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I wish they would sell all the diesel variants in the US, and especially the 25d. There is a legacy perception that everyone here wants the biggest engine. And while many do, I see a great many GLK diesels around, but no BMWs with smaller diesel engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #78
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Welcome to the forum as well. Seems we start to develop a small community of Belgian 25d owners, would be nice to get meet up one day. Would have to be in 2015 though, as mine will not be delivered in 2014.

Great write-up of your first experiences, seems we went through a similar selection process and have same preferences / remarks (eg option policy of BMW).

Maybe I'm a little more risk taking than you since I chose sDrive but I have owned three bimmers before, all RWD, and never had any issues with traction or safety. That was however many years ago (had 3 Audi's afterwards) maybe they changed for the worse :-) then again, I always drive carefull in heavy rain or snow.

Enjoy your new toy !
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #79
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I wish they would sell all the diesel variants in the US, and especially the 25d. There is a legacy perception that everyone here wants the biggest engine. And while many do, I see a great many GLK diesels around, but no BMWs with smaller diesel engines.
With car retail prices in the US and gas prices as well, I can understand why most of you go for bigger engines.

In Belgium, my 25d is more expensive than a 50i in the US and the same is true for the price of most options. Gas price is almost double, plus we gat heavily taxed based on CO2 so choice is quicly made ... and then we have to wait almost a year before we get our baby delivered

But I agree that with increased attention for environmental pollution and rising gas prices, we may see a shift in the next couple of years ...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #80
BEX5x25d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 25d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegria View Post
Welcome to the forum as well. Seems we start to develop a small community of Belgian 25d owners, would be nice to get meet up one day. Would have to be in 2015 though, as mine will not be delivered in 2014.

Great write-up of your first experiences, seems we went through a similar selection process and have same preferences / remarks (eg option policy of BMW).

Maybe I'm a little more risk taking than you since I chose sDrive but I have owned three bimmers before, all RWD, and never had any issues with traction or safety. That was however many years ago (had 3 Audi's afterwards) maybe they changed for the worse :-) then again, I always drive carefull in heavy rain or snow.

Enjoy your new toy !
Thnx Alegria and also others for the warm welcome ! Just wanted to add that few info I found in the beginning on the 25d and new X5 so I ended up here and a german one (motortalk very good too if you master german)

To be honest, I hesitated a lot to "s-drive or not" and difficult to get and find unbiased opinions (same with 30d's vs 25d's" in a way). Not being sure while spending already so much money.... anyway I believe the s-drive would probably have been more than fine as I would not really go offroad, don't drive like mad, just that my small village in the north is not always properly handled during winter time ... . But I never saw someone stuck with a RWD either ...
If I dared it would have saved me some money or some additional options I now kept out.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #81
elorenzo1
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: X5 25d xDrive

Hi, I'm new to the forum and soon enjoy my X5 but I did not arrive until December,
* We get to the details, I hope you like it, after almost 20 years with Audi.
I hope that BMW have the same result.

Metallic black paint.
Sport automatic transmission.
Trailer hitch.
Back camera.
Longitudinal rails for satin aluminum roof rack.
Wizard beam.
Spare wheel.
Lane Change Warning.
Surround View.
Professional navigation system.
Package innovation.
-closure automatic doors
-Assistant in jams
-driving assistant plus
-head-up display

Well that's all I hope I get it right and the purchase will not disappoint me.
a greeting

If any doubt arises as man ask me.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #82
elorenzo1
Registered
Spain
Rep

hello again that this X5 go after a few km of shooting as the car responds with that engine and that such work options that bear
a greeting
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #83
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

For those guys planning to lease an s-drive, just FYI, the better residual on the X drive makes your payment LOWER. So if your not paying cash or financing, by all means go for the X-drive. Unless you want to pay more for less.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #84
Alegria
X5 25d sdrive (on order)
Belgium
Rep

Not the case in Belgium. Monthly lease for xdrive is higher than sdrive. Add eco taxes to that and from pure financial perspective sdrive is the better choice, also when leasing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #85
elorenzo1
Registered
Spain
Rep

X5 xdrive25d

Unas pocas fotos en el concesionario para velo cuando me lo entreguen pondré mas fotos.

Name:  Foto 28-10-14 17 18 54.jpeg
Views: 4225
Size:  292.7 KB

Name:  Foto 28-10-14 17 20 31.jpeg
Views: 4177
Size:  285.0 KB

Name:  Foto 28-10-14 17 20 57.jpeg
Views: 4165
Size:  278.3 KB

Name:  Foto 28-10-14 17 21 26.jpeg
Views: 1866
Size:  271.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #86
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorenzo1 View Post
Unas pocas fotos en el concesionario para velo cuando me lo entreguen pondré mas fotos.
hermoso auto. Por favor, mostrar más fotos con el coche en su hermosa campiña.
(Google translate).

Note to others, the standard steering wheel in Europe can have paddle shifters, I presume with Sport+, which outside of US us available for any line -not just M Sport- as an option.

Last edited by MattBianco; 10-29-2014 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #87
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
the standard steering wheel in Europe can have paddle shifters, I presume with Sport+
Exactly as you say. I have what is called xLine in the US with standard wheel, paddle shifters and sport gearbox. It is a reasonably priced option.
      10-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #88
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
Exactly as you say. I have what is called xLine in the US with standard wheel, paddle shifters and sport gearbox. It is a reasonably priced option.
They make us upgrade to M Sport to get the paddles and sport+. The gearbox is the same. it is merely a software difference. If I am not mistaken EUR 300-400?

There is at least one non F15 thread that posts the codes for getting sport+.