AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
You either don't have toddlers/babies or do have them and they are deep sleepers. Personally, this is priceless.

Z.
Soft-close - is a must for me as well
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Soft Close solves the issue of not having to politely inform passengers to not slam the door so hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
The soft close doors seem useless to me, a bit gimmicky.
You either don't have toddlers/babies or do have them and they are deep sleepers. Personally, this is priceless.

Z.
I do. Never thought of that. Magically though, we grown ups are able to close the regular ole doors slowly and softly all by our selves.... I do see your point though. But priceless? I still don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona
Soft Close solves the issue of not having to politely inform passengers to not slam the door so hard.
If by passengers you mean my wife, I would then find this useful lol. So, when they slam them anyway, they still close softly?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
That is what I heard today when ordering mine. I did not get Premium package because I don't need comfort access, satellite radio or soft close doors.
It includes Leather and hence $2700. Keyless alone was $1000 on E70.
Isn't it funny how BMW works? I paid the $1000 for comfort access on my E70 back in 2007. Since, I've seen it as a stand alone option on some BMW's for $500, and sometimes still for $1000. In the premium package, if you planned on getting leather and want Sirius or the soft close doors, then the comfort access comes at a reasonable price in the package. If you want leather and comfort access, but not any of the other things, you're paying $1250 for the ability to keep the key in your pocket to unlock the doors...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
If by passengers you mean my wife, I would then find this useful lol. So, when they slam them anyway, they still close softly?
No, it will still slam, but they get used to just gently close it after they realize it pulls itself in
Also, no more "you didnt close your door all the way" or following slamming to make sure it's really closed
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #29
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Magically though, we grown ups are able to close the regular ole doors slowly and softly all by our selves.... I do see your point though. But priceless? I still don't think so.
Shoot...if I had magical powers like you, I would come to same conclusion as you.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
No, it will still slam, but they get used to just gently close it after they realize it pulls itself in
Also, no more "you didnt close your door all the way" or following slamming to make sure it's really closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Shoot...if I had magical powers like you, I would come to same conclusion as you.

Z.
Decided to get the premium package.. We wanted the comfort access anyway, makes it so much easier to get in the car with kids and the "stuff" that comes with them. If the soft close doors can teach my wife not to slam the doors every time she gets out (only time she doesn't is when the kids are sleeping), all the better

Thanks for the input guys.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I guess it is all relative. $1k in a $70k car may not be to much but still $1k is a lot of money and can buy you so many things. Premium package used to be a "need" when buying an X5 since most of the desirable options were bundled in that package. However, in the new X5 the Premium Package should have a different name since it does not mean premium. When I looked at this package I saw it was not worth for my needs. We never travel long distances with the car so satellite radio is not needed. Soft close doors also not needed. I had a loaner with this option and found myself not pushing the doors hard enough to activate the feature. Most of the times I had to close it again. Then the "nice to have" comfort access so I could open the doors without pressing the key. Agree, it is nice to have but a very expensive option in my opinion. You still need to use one of your hand to open the door anyway so I guess I can still press a button on my key fob.

Quote:
Decided to get the premium package.. We wanted the comfort access anyway, makes it so much easier to get in the car with kids and the "stuff" that comes with them. If the soft close doors can teach my wife not to slam the doors every time she gets out (only time she doesn't is when the kids are sleeping), all the better

Thanks for the input guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I guess it is all relative. $1k in a $70k car may not be to much but still $1k is a lot of money and can buy you so many things. Premium package used to be a "need" when buying an X5 since most of the desirable options were bundled in that package. However, in the new X5 the Premium Package should have a different name since it does not mean premium. When I looked at this package I saw it was not worth for my needs. We never travel long distances with the car so satellite radio is not needed. Soft close doors also not needed. I had a loaner with this option and found myself not pushing the doors hard enough to activate the feature. Most of the times I had to close it again. Then the "nice to have" comfort access so I could open the doors without pressing the key. Agree, it is nice to have but a very expensive option in my opinion. You still need to use one of your hand to open the door anyway so I guess I can still press a button on my key fob.
I agree. I almost skipped it but with 2 small kids, we constantly have one of them, their stuff, or both in our hands to begin with, so it's useful not to have to dig for the keys in my pocket or my wife's purse.. But I agree, so much is standard on the new X5, you're not forced into packages the way you used to be. And, even on a 65k+ car, a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks, no reason to waste it if you don't feel you need something. You have to draw the line somewhere or that 65 or 70k quickly becomes 75 or 80.... That happened to me on my first X5. I'll get this one for $9000 cheaper and won't miss a thing that I used to have on the E70.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #33
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Need and want, hard to diffentiate sometimes.

My neighbour misses his Soft Close (SC) as he traded in his X6m for a P Cayenne Turbo S that is lacking SC. As an analogy from the past, recall when electric windows was an option, well having 4 doors with manual roll up with passengers who did not roll up before the rain was no problem if you did not mind doing the manual roll up yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

I had soft close doors on all LS and S550. It's a must. It wasn't too much. I wish I had soft-close door on my e92 M3, that door is so god damn heavy lol. I can't go back to a non comfort access car anymore. Whats the point of take out the remote and then putting it back in your purse/pocket when you can just no have to worry about it. Some people try to retrofit the comfort access and it is NOT easy nor is it cheap.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #35
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Many new innovative options were initially only offered on the higher end priced vehicles. Over a few years they filtered down to other models and were made available accordingly, thankfully with price reductions ( over time) as more purchased it the option price dropped accordingly ( also becoming cookie cutter from initial leading edge newest innovation). Such features are not available on all models.

Comfort access for example: when key is in pocket is more user friendly than key in hand except when you wish to open the rear hatch with the key ( as you approach the vehicle) rather than touching the vehicle with Comfort Access once you have reached your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #36
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Other perspective--- why hide your awesome BMW key all the time. So, without comfort access you can touch your pride of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

^ Right on as Jason the administrator did state that there is a nice feel to the F15 FOB, real metal. Other FOB's are plastic....

Last edited by barcelona; 10-26-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

Could someone who has a F15 without comfort access please confirm whether the key fob needs to be inserted into the dash? BMW's website is not very clear. This is what it states...

"Comfort Access system offers an even greater degree of convenience: keyless access to your car. Simply carrying the remote key in a pocket allows you to unlock the doors by touching the door handle. You can also turn the engine on or off by pressing the Start/Stop button* without first inserting the remote key. (optional)"

Is the ability to open the front doors without touching the key fob the only differentiator between comfort and non-comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejr View Post
Could someone who has a F15 without comfort access please confirm whether the key fob needs to be inserted into the dash? BMW's website is not very clear. This is what it states...

"Comfort Access system offers an even greater degree of convenience: keyless access to your car. Simply carrying the remote key in a pocket allows you to unlock the doors by touching the door handle. You can also turn the engine on or off by pressing the Start/Stop button* without first inserting the remote key. (optional)"

Is the ability to open the front doors without touching the key fob the only differentiator between comfort and non-comfort access?
Joejoejr I asked my dealer the same question as I wondered what the benefit was of paying for Comfort Access when all I wanted was the need NOT to insert the key fob into the dash. He said the F15 no longer requires the key in the dash. To my mind it's a waste of money to pay for CA for very little benefit.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #40
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejr View Post

Car is standard w keyless go. Keyless entry and comfort access are part of premium pkg w the leather and siri radio.

Confirmed

I was annoyed bout this but still gotit as i wanted keyless entry.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #41
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Have a problem guys, may be someone can help with it
I have comfort access to my car(keyless) and when I press to the driver's door-car opens/closes without any problems.
But other doors somehow became not operational(when you press to close or when trying to open the car).
May be there is something in settings menu where you can change it???
Could not find anything...
P.S. Did not change anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #42
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ving-seat.html

Big concerns here about keyless entry! Two months ago some insurers were refusing to issue cover unless the cars were parked securely.

Mercs, audi, BMW and Range Rover had very bad press here lately over security lapses
      12-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #43
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Keyless start is standard on all new BMW models starting at least with the F25 X3, maybe even sooner (F10?). Comfort access lets you keep your key in your pocket, don't need to press a button just put your hand on the door handle to unlock. But with or without comfort access, you do not even have a place to insert the key in the ignition.
I think you're right. Even my '10 F10 (no keyless entry) has keyless start. I think BMW figured they are going to sell only one of it anyway.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0