BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
vj950
Rep
Drives: X5

Collision warning and Brake

My 2015 X5 has Driver Assistance Plus package with Active Cruise Control (ACC) as well as Stop & Go feature. When I activate the cruise control and set a speed, it works fine. (it will track the car in front, increase or decrease the speed and will bring the car to a stop and will resume. Also it will give me a warning if a car suddenly comes in front from the next lane and will apply brake.

My question: Manual mentions about front collision warning (which is always active at speeds >3 mph), and that the car will apply the brake and will stop if necessary (at any speed regardless of whether the cruise control is active or not) I have not seen any collision warnings or automatic brake application yet in my "testing" when cruise control is not on. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Can't really comment on how it's implemented on F15 (mine is yet to arrive), but on my F10 it will shout out clearly, bring up a big red car on both the instrument cluster and the HUD and apply gently the breaks. It will however not stop in full by itself, or I am yet to allow it to try to. Normally if I hear the big ding, I am all into pushing the breaks myself.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Wife had a situation where a car suddenly pulled in front stopping at the lights and she said the car warned and braked the car just an instant before she braked, so the system seems to work and works also without acc.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
shellpicker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Angry Driver Assistant Plus

I have the 2015 BMW X3 35ix with the Driver Assistant Plus package. I have owned the vehicle since 10/14/2014. The intelligent safety button (with the green ring) is armed all 4 boxes checked with early warning selected. I have never gotten a warning light, icon, beep or any type of braking. I took it to my dealer who kept the car for 13 days and replaced the camera and recoded the vehicle. I still do not get any type of warning. The dealer and BMW say it is operating normally as designed. I have tried everything except hitting the vehicle in front of me with no warning. Page 110 of the owners manual states one thing but the dealer says something else. Do any of you get collision warning information when a vehicle is in front of you say at 15 feet and stopped, your foot off of the your brake and cruise control off. The TSE at BMW says "System will not activate when coming up on slow or stop vehicle from a higher rate of speed or when approaching another vehicle intentionally." If this is true then when will it activate.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

I have never had it brake for me with ACC off.

I have had two episodes where something different happened. The first was when an oncoming car turned left right in front of me. The car image flashed on the HUD and when I touched the breaks the force was immediate and strong. Another was a car that suddenly slowed in front of me to turn right without signal. Same thing happened.

I don't think the brakes were applied, but they were "pre-loaded" so my slight touch resulted in a big reaction. When the car turned left in front of me there was still room, and it was icy, so I used a slight touch. But the car braked hard, immediately triggering the ABS.

Note I have owned car for 6 weeks.

Last edited by nyquistcondition; 02-12-2015 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

I have a 2015 X5 DA Package, if say I'm behind a guy that is making a right turn off the road and I'm coming up on him at a good clip hoping he's going to get out of my way and keep my foot on the gas pedal I sometimes get a HUD warning, I think once I got a aural with it but taking your foot off the gas, like most do and or starting to apply the brakes to slow usually won't trigger the system since it senses your aware. But I was curious about if the car would apply the brakes if needed as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistcondition View Post
I have never had it brake for me with ACC off.....Note I have owned car for 6 weeks.
Happend to me. I was driving about 50 mph, and a car pulled in front of me and it beat me to the brakes. ACC was off.
      02-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

I got it once in the 2nd day after getting my car. The brake was not even break-in completely yet. It's the local bumper to bumper traffic with slow speed in Manhattan.

Without it, I probably would scratch or smash my front bumper against the yellow cab in that day.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

I have had it happen a couple of times to me, the first time I wasn't sure that the brakes were applied automatically but the second time they definitely were.

The problem with confirming this would be if it didn't happen and you end up crashing into something.

One odd thing I get sometimes is if you are on a narrowish road with cars parked at the side, sometimes the dash warning and audible alarm go off when either there is just a parked car not in front of you or a vehicle on the other side of the road coming towards you. So far the brakes haven't been applied by themselves in this circumstance but that could make for an interesting insurance claim explanation should you be rear ended by someone following you with slow reactions.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Happend to me. I was driving about 50 mph, and a car pulled in front of me and it beat me to the brakes. ACC was off.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 02:19 AM   #11
crazyc
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 30 D M Pack 640D MPack

Drive assist

Hi Guys
I am new to the forum but have been reading posts here for a long time.
On the anti collision assist in BMW i picked up my 640d last year October and on the drive home which is a magic highway that is not to congested,i was loving the feeling of my new baby purring along the freeway and chatting to my brother-in-law on the phone using blue tooth when all of a sudden the cars in front of me started breaking hard and moving in all directions.I was doing about 130 km at the time with a fair distance between myself and the car in front...i never had cruise control on but the anti collision was activated thank goodness from the time i picked it up at the dealer.Well all i can say is i got my moneys worth in a split second as the car gave that warning signal and braked twice in succession before i even had a chance to move my foot to the break pedal this dropped my speed down to about 60 km in an instant giving me the time to take over and break accordingly avoiding a possible front end on my first day out.
I was so impressed that i have now upgraded my wives car to have all the driver assist packages available.
On a happy note i have also just ordered my X 5 30D fully loaded and hoping for delivery mid June
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

X5 RULES - Da BOSS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

So this feature is always active for X5 with Drivers assistant package and plus? Or do you need ACC option (but does not need to be active) for this to work?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ i'd like to know the answer to his question too.

Does driver assistance plus have the ability to emergency brake for you in a event of frontal collision or do you need to have the ACC option as well?

Alan
      05-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ i'd like to know the answer to his question too.

Does driver assistance plus have the ability to emergency brake for you in a event of frontal collision or do you need to have the ACC option as well?

Alan
This morning on cross bronx it was bumper to bumper traffic and the X5 braked when the car in front of me suddenly slammed on the brakes! I was shocked and surprised at the same time because the car reacted much faster than I could.
I received the image of a red car in HUD and the Instrument cluster along with a audible warning sound. Pretty cool feature

I don't have ACC.. only driver assistance package and plus.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I had my f06 help me out before and hit the brakes for me before I got my foot there. But I also had a moment where the sensor was probably dirty, and it hit the break when it wasn't necessary. It didn't hit it too hard, but it scared the hell out of me. There was a car stopping in front of me but no where near to the point where I needed to slam on the breaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Did you make sure the settings was set accordingly? On the F15 there is early, medium, and late warnings.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

The other day I was riding behind a pizza delivery van. I momentarily looked over my right shoulder preparing to change lanes. In that instant the Pizza guy slammed on his brakes to make a left turn. Before I could react, the car applied the brakes full force. I probably would have rear ended him without the car braking for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
This morning on cross bronx it was bumper to bumper traffic and the X5 braked when the car in front of me suddenly slammed on the brakes! I was shocked and surprised at the same time because the car reacted much faster than I could.
I received the image of a red car in HUD and the Instrument cluster along with a audible warning sound. Pretty cool feature

I don't have ACC.. only driver assistance package and plus.
I have the same options as you do and I have had the red warning light come up quite a few times, though the car had never braked for me yet. I do have it set on early warning, so maybe that's why. I haven't had a true close call yet to test whether it will actually brake if I didn't. Most cases I'd hit the brakes first.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #20
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
The other day I was riding behind a pizza delivery van. I momentarily looked over my right shoulder preparing to change lanes. In that instant the Pizza guy slammed on his brakes to make a left turn. Before I could react, the car applied the brakes full force. I probably would have rear ended him without the car braking for me.
I would love to see this feature in action. Just not in my X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:16 AM   #21
MiguelPt
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 f15

I see the warning light, onde head up display, lots of times (it also says the distance) but it never brake yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:26 AM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra006 View Post
I have the same options as you do and I have had the red warning light come up quite a few times, though the car had never braked for me yet. I do have it set on early warning, so maybe that's why. I haven't had a true close call yet to test whether it will actually brake if I didn't. Most cases I'd hit the brakes first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelPt View Post
I see the warning light, onde head up display, lots of times (it also says the distance) but it never brake yet...
I've also had many cases where the red car would light up but these instances were mostly a non threat.. The incident yesterday was a close call.

Last edited by Kzang; 05-18-2015 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0