Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Anyone else feels it's hard to get in?

Hi all,

Just received my new X5 last Friday and love it so much!
But I've quickly notice that fronts seat are placed rather far into the cabin and while getting in and out of the car, I see my butt stressing on the seat bolsters. Whenever I get in, my butt crack lands on the bolster and I have to drag myself in. I tried to hold on the headliner handle to lift myself but headroom isn't enough to do that.
My wife also thinks without a foot rail it is rather hard to get in - no we are 5'-10"~5'-11" and slim fit.

I can see seat bolsters tearing out rather quickly and was wondering if anyone else thinks the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
CLCX5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 sDrive35i X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Hi all,

But I've quickly notice that fronts seat are placed rather far into the cabin and while getting in and out of the car, I see my butt stressing on the seat bolsters. Whenever I get in, my butt crack lands on the bolster and I have to drag myself in. I tried to hold on the headliner handle to lift myself but headroom isn't enough to do that.
My wife also thinks without a foot rail it is rather hard to get in - no we are 5'-10"~5'-11" and slim fit.

I can see seat bolsters tearing out rather quickly and was wondering if anyone else thinks the same.
Congrats on your new X5! I also think it's hard to get in and out of. Do you have the running boards as well? I think that's the problem for me. I've had mine a few weeks and already have a few creases in the nappa on the seat bolster from landing on it when trying to get in. I can't imagine the leather is going to fair well through that. I have half a mind to have the running boards removed, if that's even possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
rlemek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M-sport

I Do the same thing. I have the M-sport so it does not have side rails, but it is still a pain to get in and out and with 20k on my car now and ivory nappa seats you can see the excessive wear for a fit person with a 30" waist... Really dislike that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have the m-sports so no running board here. I thought a running board would help but I guess not. Now I feel better leasing it instead of purchasing.... I think my Dakota leather will be ripped in about a year or less.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
FalconFlyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

You guys should be fine.. the leather won't rip and should not discolor. Try putting your seat at a lower setting as I find a lot of X5 owners really sit up too high...
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
CLCX5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 sDrive35i X5

Quote:
I have the m-sports so no running board here. I thought a running board would help but I guess not. Now I feel better leasing it instead of purchasing.... I think my Dakota leather will be ripped in about a year or less.
Unless you stand on the running board (which I think would feel ridiculously awkward for anyone over 5'3" - I'm 6' so it would be near impossible for me to use them to enter the car) with running boards you are now standing an even further 3 or so inches out from the car when trying to get in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFlyer View Post
You guys should be fine.. the leather won't rip and should not discolor. Try putting your seat at a lower setting as I find a lot of X5 owners really sit up too high...
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
FalconFlyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

CLCX5 I agree with you... the running boards are really more cosmetic than a useful tool.... I am only 5'9 160 lbs and I have no issues getting into the M Sport which does not have the running boards. I also found in the past (I have owned a couple of other X5's) that the running boards get dirty and when you go to step out and have dirt all over my pants. Again, more cosmetic than useful...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

I am thinking about using the H&K Sport lowering springs. That will lower the vehicle about 1.5 inches. Just about right
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I sit high because I want to see the full nose of the car. I always drove roadsters and X5 feels so big and I'm little intimidated by its size so far.
Perhaps I'll see if I can code the car to move the seat to the default low position when car is off and get back to the normal position once ignition is on. I liked how wife's infiniti did position retraction when engine on/off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
I am thinking about using the H&K Sport lowering springs. That will lower the vehicle about 1.5 inches. Just about right
Perhaps this will help a lot. Please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Congrats on your new X5! I also think it's hard to get in and out of. Do you have the running boards as well? I think that's the problem for me. I've had mine a few weeks and already have a few creases in the nappa on the seat bolster from landing on it when trying to get in. I can't imagine the leather is going to fair well through that. I have half a mind to have the running boards removed, if that's even possible.
Yes, it is possible to remove the running boards.
If you are in So.Cal. I have the parts from fellow forum member that retrofit a running boards on his X5.

As far as lowering the car. I have the M Sport and I lowered mine. It helps getting in and out the car. I also 6' tall.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Yes, it is possible to remove the running boards.
If you are in So.Cal. I have the parts from fellow forum member that retrofit a running boards on his X5.

As far as lowering the car. I have the M Sport and I lowered mine. It helps getting in and out the car. I also 6' tall.
Does lowering affect the ride? I want to retain the same ride comfort as OEM.

Did you need to make camber adjustments after the install - I am getting an M Sport with the adaptive M suspension? I am concerned that uncorrected camber will reduce the already short tire life. What cost should I expect to pay for springs and installation. any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@wjbender, the ride is a bit affected.
If you are running RFT, the ride will be a little bouncy.
I have mine lowered with 22" Non-RFT tires and it rides good. It is less bouncy compare to when I am on 20" RFT, but it is not as soft as OEM.
I did got alignment done after lowering, but the camber didn't change much since the suspension setup is Multi-Link. But, I got the toe's corrected. FYI, toe's the one that kills tire, not camber.
I'm not sure how much your local shop will charge for installation, but I would say it is good 3 hours for 4 springs setup.
If you have self-leveling rear suspension, I would say 1.5 hours of installation.
Price wise, PM me which suspension setup that you have, all 4 spring or the self-leveling rear suspension.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
In my previous X6, I had my seat at the lowest position and I still had that problem (because I'm short). However, over 3y it only wore the finish in a relatively small spot on my oyster dakota seats. It acquired a 'jeans' tinge on the worn spot, but the rest of the bolster did not discolor.

With this new car however, I have to position my seat way higher because the steering wheel doesn't come down very far. It feels odd since I'm used to being a lot lower.

I have black nappa on the butt-bolsters of this car. I know darned well that its going to wear. I was hoping that them being black would make it a little less noticeable than on the oyster.
Appreciate 0