Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
35d Full Report

Thanks to all of the folks on this board, especially Opasha, I am thrilled with my new ride. The options I ended up with were the result I the advice of so many on these boards but I found that it was sometimes difficult to find advice on each option. While Opasha was helping me code (actually I was watching Him code my car through Team Viewer) he reminded me of how many of his thoughts helped guide me and so many others. Accordingly, I thought I would share my thoughts on each of the options I ended up with in my build and provide some insights on why I passed on others so that some guidance might be provided on everything in one place. I spent countless hours wrestling with each option and whether it made sense for me. Accordingly, I hope this post might help save at least one person some time and agnst!

Before you read this, the only perfect build is the one that you design for yourself and properly reflects your personal desires, needs and budget! There are no right or wrong answers for any of the options. Only right or wrong answers for you that only you can answer. With that caveat, here is what I very happily ended up with.

1) 35d - After having driven all versions, the diesel had the best combination of Torque and HP. If you add the Racechip, you get near 50i stock performance with twice the gas mileage at a far less cost. All versions are great, but no matter what you get, consider the Racechip. For the 35d, the Racechip even improves the throttle performance in the Eco Pro mode making it a great mode for everyday driving.

2) Sapphire Black Metallic - Despite being tough to keep clean, I just love the depth of the color. I am also a fan of Carbon Black, but I believe the chrome accents work better with the Black Sapphire. Jet Black is also good but does not have the same depth. Again, you have to be willing to keeping the car reasonably clean if you go this route. White and silver look much better when dirty. When clean, I would go black all day long.

3) Luxury Line - I went with the Luxury Line for a couple of reasons. First, I prefer the front end in this line to all others. Second, the trim around the wheel wells is upgraded to body color like the M line . Moreover, if you go with the 20" wheels, the trim flanges out like the M line as well (this feature is not listed anywhere by the way). I like the look of the Xline, but I do not like the flat black plastic that goes around the wheel wells. I also prefer the thin chrome piece on the rear as opposed to the Xline which has a larger gray piece coming up from the bottom. Many comment that they do not like the chrome trim of the Luxury Line but you should know that the trim is not true chrome. It is matted, but not as much as the Xline. I like the M line as well, but because you cannot get a third row with DHP, it was not an option for me. Also, I prefer the look of the running boards that you also cannot get on the M Line.

4) High Gloss Roof Rails - The Luxury Line allows you to get the High Gloss Black roof rails. On any black car, I believe it is a must look. They are standard on the M Line.

5) Black Dakota Leather - I love the look of black on black so this was the only option for me. I have spent time in the Mocha Nappa leather and it is MUCH softer and has a great feel. It is also darker in person than it appears in pictures which is a big plus. If you do not have kids, I would highly recommend the option as the car does look classier with it - unless you just like the black on black look (which I do). If you have kids or pets, the Dakota leather is definitely the way to go as the material is far more durable.

6) Leather Dash - This will make a big difference in the look of your car UNLESS you have Black Dakota Leather. With Black Dakota, the surface of the standard dash actually blends a little better with the rest of the interior than the Nappa leather dash (See picture). Regardless, it is not that noticeable if you have all black otherwise. You can probably save money here. Any other color interior other than black, it will make a difference you will notice.

7) Luxury Seating Package - The Multi-Contour Seats are FAR more comfortable than any other option and are worth the money. The Package gives you the addition of cooled seats. After coding, they work pretty well. Without coding, not nearly as well. Some have reported that the Seats without this feature are more comfortable, but I have recently been in both and have seen no difference. This feature is not available for Nappa leather.

8) Ceramic Controls - These just make the car look classier - period. Some complain about finger prints showing up, but they always wipe off easily. The feel is also far superior to the standard controls. Seriously consider them as they also change the look of the dash by removing any cheap looking silver plastic around the knobs. I originally thought this might be a waste of money, but I am so glad that I have them.

9) Premium Package - You will never regret having the Comfort Access. Do not skip this one. It makes accessing the car soooo much easier and convenient. Plus there are many things you can code as well.

10) Lighting Package - I did get them. It is definitely a better look for the car, and the visibility is somewhat better. If you can afford it - do it. If you are trying to fit under a budget, this is an item you can probably skip.

11) Drive Assistance Package - This may be the single most important item on the car. The HUD is fantastic and once you use it, you will never want to go back. The rear view camera for the this vehicle is also a must. Do not skip this.

12) Driver Assistance Plus - The additional safety features are great, but the surround view camera is the most valuable thing in the package. Again, you will not be sorry if you have this. If you skip this package, definitely make sure to at least get the surround view.

13) ACC Stop and Go - I never use Cruise Control so I passed on this. In part, because many of the the safety features for frontal collision are already included in the Driver Assistance Plus package. That said, if you are in traffic regularly, people on this board swear by it. The question you have to ask yourself, just like any other feature is, will you use it. If so, go for it. I also find that I use the Auto H park feature quite a bit. This still requires me to use the accelerator, but I get relief from having to keep my foot on the break. This ACC system works incredibly well if you are the least bit tempted by it. I just know I don't like to give up that much control. Probably a good feature to have for resale, however.

14) Cold Weather Package - As I have written before, for $550, just get it. You may never use it, but there is no downside to having a heated steering wheel or the heated rear seats for your passengers. I passed on this but it is the only regret I have from my build. The only complaint I have read is that the headlight washer will sometimes go off and mess up a clean car. Look into this if you have any concern.

15) Dynamic Handling Package - This was the most important feature to me. The difference in driving dynamics between a car with or without this feature is substantial. It changes how the car feels in all modes and at all times. It is much stiffer without losing ANY comfort. You will also be able to take ANY turn at much great speeds and the car will just handle better than you could imagine. Do not pass on this if you care at all about having a sporty feel. The M tune suspension will make the car feel a little tighter, but it is nothing compared to DHP. The Adaptive Suspension with DDC will make the car far more comfortable for rear passengers if you do not get DHP. This is probably the toughest option for most to gauge since dealers do not typically keep cars on the lot that have this feature. You are going to have to trust the folks on this board on this topic.

16) Third row - If you have kids - get it. You will not be sorry as it also gives you the comfort second row seats. Despite what has been reported otherwise, the second row seats are not flimsy and are far more comfortable than the standard. This is not just about the padding, but because of the recline angles that you will now be able to allow the back passengers to enjoy. Without it, the passengers will be far more upright. The third row itself is more useable than people report. An adult could get in but not for any long period of time comfortably. If you do not get the third row, get the comfort rear seats.

17) 451 20" Wheels - These are by far my favorite X5 wheels and they fill the space nicely (These are not available for the M Line). 20" wheels look much more substantial on the X5 and change the posture of the car quite a bit. As stated above, in the Luxury Line the 20" wheels also give you the sportier trim over the wheel wells.

18) Harmon Kardon - This system rocks and is FAR Superior to the stock system. I have also heard the B&O system and, for rock/pop, I prefer the HK. It is definitely worth the upgrade.

19) Park Assist - You should only get this if you have to have it and know you will use it. I will never trust this feature over my own ability, especially since the car is already equipped with great PDC sensors. The surround view camera is terrific for parallel parking in any regard. I passed.

20) Night Vision - Great feature if you are in an area where you NEED it. This would be important in locations where you do a lot of night driving on poorly lit roads. Otherwise, you will probably never use it.

21) Extended Blue Tooth - Do not get it because you can add it through coding.

22) Assisted Steering - I did not get this because I want responsive steering at ALL times. While this system might help in a parking lot, I have found that the standard electronic steering makes it very easy to navigate the car. Not sure why more would be needed. Also, many have reported that at higher speeds it can make you a bit unsure of how the car will respond. Only get this if you have tried maneuvering the car in a parking lot and had difficulty. Do not get it UNLESS you have tried it.

I am sure I forgotten something but I hope this helps someone. Again, these are mostly my opinions. There are some great folks on this board that can answer almost anything no matter what your taste. Good luck.

Here is what I picked up at the PCD last Friday. If you have the opportunity to go - DO IT!!! You will not be sorry. It will also help you appreciate your car so much more.
Attached Images

Last edited by Trojanlaw; 12-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 3
      11-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
CrockettHood
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Very informative! Appreciate the feedback. Nice X5 and nice house!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

@Trojanlaw, awesome post! Very helpful, indeed. Thanks for the mention as well, my friend. Your X5 looks great !
      11-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Incredible write up and cars! Thanks pal and congrats ;-)
      11-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Great write-up OP...very thorough summary! Enjoy your new ride, very nicely appointed!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Bo2Shelby
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Great review

Good post and I couldn't agree more about the value of the advice provided on this forum. Opasha's guidance is outstanding. I just don't know how he provides so much information across so many topics and still has time to do other things. It's much appreciated though!
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo2Shelby View Post
Good post and I couldn't agree more about the value of the advice provided on this forum. Opasha's guidance is outstanding. I just don't know how he provides so much information across so many topics and still has time to do other things. It's much appreciated though!
I have learned so much from just looking things up from everyone's questions. Now many things are second hand nature for me due to repetition. I also have a decent memory so that helps . I've always been pretty good at multitasking, but having a Note 4/Moto360 with me 95% of the time helps cut down on timing to reply or answer questions.

Last edited by opasha; 11-25-2014 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Can't wait to get ours in a few weeks. Your X5 looks great.
      11-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Can't wait to get ours in a few weeks. Your X5 looks great.
Please share what you ordered. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Please share what you ordered. Enjoy.
Sure no prob.

35i M-Sport
Space Grey
Style 491 Gloss black wheels
Black Dakota Leather
Fineline pure wood trim
Premium Package
LED Lighting Package
Premium Seating package
Driver assistance package
Bang and Olufsen
Rear Seat Entertainment
M performance power kit
Black grills
M performance spoiler
M Performance Brakes

Cheers,
      11-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
CrockettHood
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Those 451's look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
Sure no prob.

35i M-Sport
Space Grey
Style 491 Gloss black wheels
Black Dakota Leather
Fineline pure wood trim
Premium Package
LED Lighting Package
Premium Seating package
Driver assistance package
Bang and Olufsen
Rear Seat Entertainment
M performance power kit
Black grills
M performance spoiler
M Performance Brakes

Cheers,
Should look great. Please post pics when you get it. The hardest part I had in making my decision was finding pictures of my exact configuration. I never did, but I found some that were close only because of the pictures posted on this board.

Enjoy!!
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Should look great. Please post pics when you get it. The hardest part I had in making my decision was finding pictures of my exact configuration. I never did, but I found some that were close only because of the pictures posted on this board.

Enjoy!!
I will for sure. I'll start my own thread once it comes.
      11-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettHood View Post
Those 451's look awesome!
Thanks CrocketHood. They are even better in person!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for the in depth write up and the pics. Love the 451 wheels. Wish I could have gotten them on my X5. Looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoy4me View Post
Thanks for the in depth write up and the pics. Love the 451 wheels. Wish I could have gotten them on my X5. Looks awesome.
Post some pics of your ride when you get the chance. Again, the more pics the better for those trying to figure out what to order.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Thanks for the excellent write up. I totally agree your comment about the value of the forum and all the member input.

The final product looks fantastic and is an awesome machine. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #18
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Hey mate, great build! Congrats! I have had troubles finding a build to look exactly like mine and also did hell of a lot of reading to try to self-explain some of the extras. It's really useful what you did, wonderful info.

Quote:
17) 451 20" Wheels - These are by far my favorite X5 wheels and they fill the space nicely (These are not available for the M Line). 20" wheels look much more substantial on the X5 and change the posture of the car quite a bit. As stated above, in the Luxury Line the 20" wheels also give you the sportier trim over the wheel wells.
I also ordered those for summers.. how they look on your car!

Quote:
22) Assisted Steering - I did not get this because I want responsive steering at ALL times. While this system might help in a parking lot, I have found that the standard electronic steering makes it very easy to navigate the car. Not sure why more would be needed. Also, many have reported that at higher speeds it can make you a bit unsure of how the car will respond. Only get this if you have tried maneuvering the car in a parking lot and had difficulty. Do not get it UNLESS you have tried it.
I've opted in for this one, as I have to maneuver at tight garages all the time and it is useful not to have to turn the wheel that much. I have tried the feature on E70 and it didn't feel bad at all. I haven't also experienced any troubles in high speeds. Hope it's not reaaaaly bad in high speeds as you say...

Also I've opted out for the comfort rear seats, as they had mixed opinions here in the forum. Reading what you say makes me think I've done all the bad choices :/
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
Hey mate, great build! Congrats! I have had troubles finding a build to look exactly like mine and also did hell of a lot of reading to try to self-explain some of the extras. It's really useful what you did, wonderful info.

I also ordered those for summers.. how they look on your car!

I've opted in for this one, as I have to maneuver at tight garages all the time and it is useful not to have to turn the wheel that much. I have tried the feature on E70 and it didn't feel bad at all. I haven't also experienced any troubles in high speeds. Hope it's not reaaaaly bad in high speeds as you say...

Also I've opted out for the comfort rear seats, as they had mixed opinions here in the forum. Reading what you say makes me think I've done all the bad choices :/
There are no bad choices with these vehicles! The standard rear seats are plenty comfortable. I have also read the mixed reviews and just posted my experience. I did not have a choice since I also got the third row. The main difference is the recline angle but they are plenty comfortable without it. Don't worry.

Please list your build when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #20
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

The 451s look so good but with the roads around where I live such low profile tires would be doomed.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
After comparing my brother's normal rear seat to my rear comfort seat, I would have to agree with Tojanlaw. They really aren't flimsier in construction, but may at first look appear so because the leather part adjacent to the seat is now black (not the seat color ie Mocha) and less substantial looking. The seat itself seems a bit better padded, better contoured and I find the recline adds to the comfort. Keep in mind though that I am one that likes a reclined seat.

Like the poster said above, the standard rear seats are also sufficiently comfortable as well, so you will be fine.

Last edited by SUV55; 11-26-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #22
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Informative.
Appreciate 0