ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke77 View Post
Is it solved for everyone?
My vibrations issue has been fixed with a new set of front tires and road force balancing. .

I'm now a couple of weeks away from having some remaining issues fixed and I'll hopefully be able to stop stressing about the car and start enjoying it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #90
bgreen4544
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15, M4 F82

Good to hear. Yes I'm solved just waiting on my check
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #91
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

It has been a long time since I have posted but I wanted to follow up for all who have read.

After 12,000 miles of this issue not changing, BMW swapped out the POS Pirelli run flats with Michelin non-run flats and the problem is gone.

This only further supports my belief that Pirelli is better at marketing than they are at designing tires.

This is the third time I have had issues with factory supplied Pirelli tires on new vehicles and the third time after tossing them the problem was fixed.

The Warden couldn't be happier with her X5 and couldn't stand the thought of being without it. (or the B&O stereo)

The X5 is the third BMW we have in our current stable and I know there will be many more!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #92
Jurgen de Wit
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: For now B W

Well guys i have a VW Touareg now and same issues for over 100.000km and they cannot fix it at VAG. Just accept it for the time being. Have also swapped to Michelins its really the better brand tire. I also have them on my BMW K1200s bike.

It is one of the reasons i didn't purchase a new Toureg but a X5 F15 but hope that i don't have the same issues. For no risks i ordered mine with the standard 18" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #93
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5D X Drive/ 2018 540D M

Garage List
Vibration issues

I bought a new X5 xdrive a couple of months ago. During the test drive I noticed a vibration. Being my 9th BMW I knew it was no more than an unbalanced tire. Not so. After 4 road force balances and a swap from Pirelli to Michelin no change. My dealership is stumped. Been waiting a week for the BMW regional engineer to show up and test drive it. At this point it has spent 20 days and 4 attempts at the dealership without resolving. Getting a bit frustrated that an 80K SUV is still not right. Lesson learned the hard way.....dont ever buy a car that vibrates even with the salesman's assurance that "we'll fix it, no problem". Waiting for the engineer at this point with a truck I don't dare even add a hitch to, tint windows in or install the clear bra on. Gurrrrr Updated in another post. Holding my breath. Might be fixed this go round. oh it's a 2017 35D with DHP, 19" rims and a bunch of other options unrelated to the issue at hand. 4 Road force balances and 5 new Michelin tires. It might be fixed. A road trip is in order now. New to this site like I need to write that huh?

Last edited by THEX5BEAST; 11-07-2017 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #94
wilho
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e -20, 225xe -16

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEX5BEAST View Post
I bought a new X5 xdrive a couple of months ago. During the test drive I noticed a vibration. Being my 9th BMW I knew it was no more than an unbalanced tire. Not so. After 4 road force balances and a swap from Pirelli to Michelin no change. My dealership is stumped. Been waiting a week for the BMW regional engineer to show up and test drive it. At this point it has spent 20 days and 4 attempts at the dealership without resolving. Getting a bit frustrated that an 80K SUV is still not right. Lesson learned the hard way.....dont ever buy a car that vibrates even with the salesman's assurance that "we'll fix it, no problem". Waiting for the engineer at this point with a truck I don't dare even add a hitch to, tint windows in or install the clear bra on. Gurrrrr
What model of X5 and MY you've got? I have my X5 40e (Mine is M-Sport if that makes a difference) rear hubs and brakes changed now for multiple times, but still slight vibration still exists and it's more predominant when braking from 60-70 mhp (100-120 kmh). Tires and wheels have been road force balanced and them being BMW original set, my tyre shop keeper he rarely sees such a good set of wheels and tyres.

Main dealer has tried to fix for months, I met today the country importer service guy and they had no answer to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #95
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I've been having vibrations for months. Thought it was my tires getting old. Recently there has been a lot of noise. I figured the bearings might be shot, turns out that's exactly the problem. Now that that's been fixed no more vibrations.
      11-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #96
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 X5 DHP, Plus, LED, HK, Luxury seating, Cold Weather, Premium Pack, Apple CarPlay

Vibration/bounce at many speeds. Feels like an out of round tire or rim. Bounces at lower speeds, vibrates at hi speed. Less than 2,000 miles. 4 visits to BMW dealership. 2 sets tires plus one. This last trip seems to have improved it. Hard to imagine it needing 5 new tires and 4 road force balances. Holding my breath but it seems much better. I'll cringe when I need to replace tires. Going through this again will put me in the loony ward. This is my 9th BMW and first X5. I know it's an SUV and I can't expect a sedan ride but really? An 80K truck. Obviously we love BMW. Not ready to throw in the towel yet. Just might be fixed this last time. Never give up.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #97
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep

Garage List
wilho, Mine is a 2017 X535D xdrive with DHP and a number of other options but kept with the standard 19" rims. Seems that I'm finally satisfied with the ride after 5 new Michelin's. One of the new tires was out of round enough to cause a continued vibration. Being my 9th BMW I can say these X5's seem to be a bit challenging to smooth out. Tires and balance must be right on. Now comes the hitch. My boat has been waiting to be towed to water somewhere for a couple of months now. Also adding the clear bra to protect the paint from all the construction and love bugs here in FL. Put it on my last couple of cars and it really preserves the finish.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #98
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Vibration/bounce at many speeds. Feels like an out of round tire or rim. Bounces at lower speeds, vibrates at hi speed. Less than 2,000 miles. 4 visits to BMW dealership. 2 sets tires plus one. This last trip seems to have improved it. Hard to imagine it needing 5 new tires and 4 road force balances. Holding my breath but it seems much better. I'll cringe when I need to replace tires. Going through this again will put me in the loony ward. This is my 9th BMW and first X5. I know it's an SUV and I can't expect a sedan ride but really? An 80K truck. Obviously we love BMW. Not ready to throw in the towel yet. Just might be fixed this last time. Never give up.
Is yours fixed? I am struggling with the same exact issue, have bought a new wheel as it was deemed center bent and tried several rebalanced and road force matches. Front axle Bridgestone Duelers are 20 and 22lbs even after matching, which seems high.

Worst vibrations are on a silky smooth road at 70-73mphs. Feel it more in the steering wheel and symptomps are exactly like a tire that is not round, not like a poor balance job. 2014 X5 50i, M sport package, standard suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #99
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep

Garage List
My X5 is perfect now. Even after a new set of Michelins it was just not right. I noticed that the dealership chipped the painted part of the rims when they took them off which lead me to return the truck yet again for that fix. Rather than repaint they swapped the rims and tires with an exact duplicate set on a new unsold X5. I marked the rims just to see what I suspected they might do. Totally by accident the problem was fixed. It was not the tires but instead the rims all along. I had asked at the very beginning that I'd like them to first swap a complete set of tires and rims with another new X5. The answer was no. This would have saved several trips had it been done right up front. At least its now riding like a BMW. Love the truck now. I was ready to give up on BMW's after 9 of them. BMW redeemed themselves. I couldn't be happier now. Just wish it didn't have to take all these trips and new tires. Dealerships gurrrrrrrrrrrr Rims seem not to cast properly on occasion.I had at least one rim that was out of round or didn't match up with the hub properly or...... Only explanation I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #100
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
My X5 is perfect now. Even after a new set of Michelins it was just not right. I noticed that the dealership chipped the painted part of the rims when they took them off which lead me to return the truck yet again for that fix. Rather than repaint they swapped the rims and tires with an exact duplicate set on a new unsold X5. I marked the rims just to see what I suspected they might do. Totally by accident the problem was fixed. It was not the tires but instead the rims all along. I had asked at the very beginning that I'd like them to first swap a complete set of tires and rims with another new X5. The answer was no. This would have saved several trips had it been done right up front. At least its now riding like a BMW. Love the truck now. I was ready to give up on BMW's after 9 of them. BMW redeemed themselves. I couldn't be happier now. Just wish it didn't have to take all these trips and new tires. Dealerships gurrrrrrrrrrrr Rims seem not to cast properly on occasion.I had at least one rim that was out of round or didn't match up with the hub properly or...... Only explanation I have.
Interesting. I have suspected the wheels all along as well. What style wheel did you have? 19/20s?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #101
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Had the issue with wheels before. Very frustrating. I have found with new tires, it has taken about 2000 miles for them to smooth out and not sure if that is due to canting at all and they need to break in/adjust???
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #102
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep

Garage List
Wish II could be of help here but I've shared about all I know on this subject. Love the truck tho for sure. You must also. Enjoy it and the new year fellow BMW friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #103
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
My old DWS was like that. After going back to stock, it's quiter and much firmer on the grips without any vibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #104
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
Interesting. I have suspected the wheels all along as well. What style wheel did you have? 19/20s?
My rims are the OEM 19" with 255/50 Michelin Latitude ZP tires on the Luxury model with the DHP and about a million other options as you BMW owners know can happen. Great tires, great rim great ride now. This rims were the problem all along. Must have been a casting issue. According the my BMW dealership they were in spec. Apparently that was not the case. The new set totally solved the problem. A happy camper now. BTW the DPH is WELL worth the cost IMO. The ride is exceptional and it handles like my old 335 MSport but without beating the passengers up. Getting about 30 MPG on the hwy driving at about 75 MPH. Not too bad for such a heavy truck.
Appreciate 0