04-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
3rd Row Seats Question

I currently have a new F15 XDrive30d coming my way (due for delivery in late May / early June) and I have a question about one of the main reasons I purchased the car...

I needed to upgrade from my F30 3 Series as we now have three kids and I need to fit three child seats across the back seat (middle row in the X5). For future proofing, I also decided to go for the third row option. I'm not planning on adding any more kids, but I've heard that kids sometimes make friends - friends that need transporting when they are older.

I figured that the back row was pretty much useless to me for the initial period as the three child seats in the middle row would preclude tilting the seat forward and thus access to the third row would be limited to being through the tailgate.

However, I found myself wondering today exactly how the middle row tilts to allow access to the back row...

Does the base cushion remain in position (or slide forward on rails) and the back tilt downwards, thus decreasing the angle of the back to the seat; or does the entire seat - cushion and back - tilt forward at the same time, keeping the same relative angle to one another?

What I'm getting at, is could you have a child seat (forward facing) fixed to one of the middle seats and still be able to tilt the seat forward to give access to the back row?
      04-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

The middle row is split in a 60/40 configuration... so you can tilt one of them to access the back row. Does this answer your question? If not, let me know... I can probably take some pics of mine if you're looking for something in particular.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Not quite - let me see if I can explain it better...

I'm going to have three child seats in the middle row. If a seat has a child seat installed in it, can it still be tilted forward, or would the child seat prevent the back of the seat from tilting because it tilts independently of the seat base?
      04-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorion View Post
Not quite - let me see if I can explain it better...

I'm going to have three child seats in the middle row. If a seat has a child seat installed in it, can it still be tilted forward, or would the child seat prevent the back of the seat from tilting because it tilts independently of the seat base?
I can help here. I only have two seats in my 2nd row but the type of child seat I have will allow me to get a third. It very much depends on the type of child seat you have. I have this car seat https://us.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt which unfortunately does not appear to be available in Australia. This seat is known for its safety rating and the ability to fit three across. The middle row is a 40/20/40 split and I have one seat in each of the 40% parts of the seats. The way the seat folds forward I am able to keep my full car seat latched down and still get easy access to the third row. The issue you will have with three seats is that the middle car seat will be sharing the latch mounts from the two outside seats. So when you have three seats latched down you will have to push both sides of the seat simultaneously forward in order to get access to the third row. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by bluenote98; 04-19-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      04-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Perfect! Thank you for the pictures.

We have a newborn right now meaning that one of the seats will be rear facing for the time being, and thus pitching the whole row forward won't work, but at least now I know what we'll be able to do in the near future.
deutsch1003946.50
      04-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
aligazi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010

those mocha seats look awesome
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

If the radian car seat not available you should be able to source a 17" wide car seat to fit 3 across. When the kids are older it will be fought to fit a booster in the third row but mifold is a compact option so unexpected transporting of kids.
Lifting the second row seat to access the third row is quite easy. The one pain is the rear trunk cover. The bar is too wide to fit in the trunk when the third row is up because the trunk narrows close to the back. So spontaneous guests when you are out is not a good thing.

http://www.mifold.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
If the radian car seat not available you should be able to source a 17" wide car seat to fit 3 across. When the kids are older it will be fought to fit a booster in the third row but mifold is a compact option so unexpected transporting of kids.
Lifting the second row seat to access the third row is quite easy. The one pain is the rear trunk cover. The bar is too wide to fit in the trunk when the third row is up because the trunk narrows close to the back. So spontaneous guests when you are out is not a good thing.

I removed my rear cargo cover for that exact reason. I never used it in my F25 and I have unexpected riders occasionally come home with me when I pick up the kids from school. The Mifold looks great but it is not currently available. The Bubblebum booster is available. http://www.bubblebum.co It is an inflatable booster seat that meets EU and US regulations for booster seats. I feel it is the perfect booster seat for the third row of an E70/F15. I have two of them and when deflated they both fit in the small storage area on the right side of the cargo area. They are also great for travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
mr_feezy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M5

Thumbs up Wow and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post
I can help here. I only have two seats in my 2nd row but the type of child seat I have will allow me to get a third. It very much depends on the type of child seat you have. I have this car seat https://us.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt which unfortunately does not appear to be available in Australia. This seat is known for its safety rating and the ability to fit three across. The middle row is a 40/20/40 split and I have one seat in each of the 40% parts of the seats. The way the seat folds forward I am able to keep my full car seat latched down and still get easy access to the third row. The issue you will have with three seats is that the middle car seat will be sharing the latch mounts from the two outside seats. So when you have three seats latched down you will have to push both sides of the seat simultaneously forward in order to get access to the third row. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this! I've been looking for so long to find any evidence this works. Looking for one for my wife - two kids in Diono Radians and space for a 15yo with a friend. SO much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post

I removed my rear cargo cover for that exact reason. I never used it in my F25 and I have unexpected riders occasionally come home with me when I pick up the kids from school. The Mifold looks great but it is not currently available. The Bubblebum booster is available. http://www.bubblebum.co It is an inflatable booster seat that meets EU and US regulations for booster seats. I feel it is the perfect booster seat for the third row of an E70/F15. I have two of them and when deflated they both fit in the small storage area on the right side of the cargo area. They are also great for travel.
And great for when you have hemorrhoids!? Hahahahaha inflatable booster seat sounds awesome.

And no offense but why bring up a 2 yr old thread just to say thanks? I mean you did give me an opportunity to make a butt hole joke but other than that I feel cheated.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
Maalo07
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X35i MPPK GTS

I find the 3rd row to be very useful for my 7 and 9 year old. Just wished it had an extra foot of extra space
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
geye1970
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

We own a X5 but if we ever need more than 2 car seats we are getting a mini van. Just so much easier.

Wish BMW made one.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
My problem with the rear seats is you lose a lot of legroom in the second row when you need to use the rear seats.