BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
jpw0809
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 M50d

Post Hello & ACC Retrofit question

Hi Guys,

I'm new around here. Been a while since I've used a car forum so please bear with me. I couldn't find the new members area so thought I'd post here. Hello I'm James and I've recently picked up my 2015 X5 M50d in Silver with Mocha interior:

Car has a reasonable spec but is missing a couple of options that I'd really like to retrofit. I found a few threads on here regarding ACC / Stop & Go retrofit

From factory I have the Lane change assist so have the rear sensors behind the bumper. I also have the Adaptive LED headlights so have the High beam assist option. So I'm good for the camera in the windscreen / KAFAS2 module.

I believe the parts I require for the ACC retrofit are as follows,

- Front radar sensor and M bumper bracket
- M Lower grill
- Wiring harnesses
- Steering wheel buttons

I get everything would need coding with E-sys etc but I'm unsure if I need a new DSC module or not. My one says DSC Premium on it and I know if i use the normal cruise control say for example I'm going 70 mph and then I set it to 40mph it will apply the brakes and slow the car down.

So I'm hoping its compatible with the ACC function since it can apply the brakes? Here is my unit:

Also I'm unsure If i need a newer ICM unit with High control. Not sure how I could find this out beforehand either?

Thanks in advance
James
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      06-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw0809 View Post
Hi Guys,

From factory I have the Lane change assist so have the rear sensors behind the bumper. I also have the Adaptive LED headlights so have the High beam assist option. So I'm good for the camera in the windscreen / KAFAS2 module.

I believe the parts I require for the ACC retrofit are as follows,

- Front radar sensor and M bumper bracket
- M Lower grill
- Wiring harnesses
- Steering wheel buttons

I get everything would need coding with E-sys etc but I'm unsure if I need a new DSC module or not. My one says DSC Premium on it and I know if i use the normal cruise control say for example I'm going 70 mph and then I set it to 40mph it will apply the brakes and slow the car down.
Welcome!
I am very interested in this as well.. if you don't mind, can you list part numbers of all parts that you have listed above needed for the retrofit?
I am assuming you have seen this thread:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1594378

mfbarnes and gwes appear to have done this retrofit. Hopefully they can chime in. *Still hoping they post DIY including what needs to be coded*
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
jpw0809
Registered
Rep

Ah yes that's one of the threads I found and lost. Perhaps I should post on there.

Afraid I'm in the same boat as you with parts numbers. I'm getting totally confused. When I type my DSC module in RealOEM it doesn't even show up at all. The parts pic I posted was taken from this Russian site for a 3 series but i guess it would be a fairly similar setup right...
https://www.drive2.ru/l/472839479040672259/

I also found this ebay seller in the UK listing the parts for the retrofit..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-F1...7660%7Ciid%3A1
Even though the DSC module is totally different to mine...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Ah yes that's one of the threads I found and lost. Perhaps I should post on there.

Afraid I'm in the same boat as you with parts numbers. I'm getting totally confused. When I type my DSC module in RealOEM it doesn't even show up at all. The parts pic I posted was taken from this Russian site for a 3 series but i guess it would be a fairly similar setup right...
https://www.drive2.ru/l/472839479040672259/

I also found this ebay seller in the UK listing the parts for the retrofit..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-F1...7660%7Ciid%3A1
Even though the DSC module is totally different to mine...
Here are the DSC and ICM parts for your car.
Do you have park assistant? Looks like you have a different version of the DCC unit and if you don't have the park assistant you will also need a new ICM.

The DIY is coming along - it takes longer to write a good DIY than it does to do the actual retrofit!

gwes
Appreciate 1
W37V1102.50
      06-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
jpw0809
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Do you have park assistant? Looks like you have a different version of the DCC unit and if you don't have the park assistant you will also need a new ICM.

The DIY is coming along - it takes longer to write a good DIY than it does to do the actual retrofit!

gwes
So weird I don't see my DSC part number listed on that page. I have a different unit but whether it works with ACC I'm not sure. Hmmmm..

No I do not have park assist unfortunately so will need a new ICM
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
mfbarnes
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Quote:

gwes
So weird I don't see my DSC part number listed on that page. I have a different unit but whether it works with ACC I'm not sure. Hmmmm..

No I do not have park assist unfortunately so will need a new ICM
Hey. Nice to see someone else jumping in. I know I've fallen off the net for a while, but I thought I'd chime in. I actually think your DSC might be ok but can't promise. I ran into the same issues with part numbers on real oem. The issue I had and still haven't resolved is the ICM. I thought I'd have the high ICM in my 2015 because I have a lot of the driver assist systems but I didn't. I did purchase a used unit from a donor (new ones are insane $) but they're hard coded with the VIN from the donor. Gwes posted some ideas about how I could program it but I just haven't had a chance. By the time I got that far, my wife wanted to drive her car again and lost patience with my nights in the garage and a torn apart center console. So that's where it stands now. All of the parts are installed except the upgraded ICM and I never got it working. I do plan on getting back to it at some point but need to learn a lot more about coding!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbarnes View Post
Hey. Nice to see someone else jumping in. I know I've fallen off the net for a while, but I thought I'd chime in. I actually think your DSC might be ok but can't promise. I ran into the same issues with part numbers on real oem. The issue I had and still haven't resolved is the ICM. I thought I'd have the high ICM in my 2015 because I have a lot of the driver assist systems but I didn't. I did purchase a used unit from a donor (new ones are insane $) but they're hard coded with the VIN from the donor. Gwes posted some ideas about how I could program it but I just haven't had a chance. By the time I got that far, my wife wanted to drive her car again and lost patience with my nights in the garage and a torn apart center console. So that's where it stands now. All of the parts are installed except the upgraded ICM and I never got it working. I do plan on getting back to it at some point but need to learn a lot more about coding!
Add another member to the list of people who want to do this. I've checked my DSC module and it does show that it's a "DSC Premium". That being said it doesn't match the info on the unit from that Ebay listing. This is everything that's on it.

DSC / DXC9 F15
DSC premium
3451 6864781–01
ECU 3452 6864782–01

Does this match what you guys have? Also, is there any way to check the ICM to see if it is the High version?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Add another member to the list of people who want to do this. I've checked my DSC module and it does show that it's a "DSC Premium". That being said it doesn't match the info on the unit from that Ebay listing. This is everything that's on it.

DSC / DXC9 F15
DSC premium
3451 6864781–01
ECU 3452 6864782–01

Does this match what you guys have? Also, is there any way to check the ICM to see if it is the High version?
Do you have park assistant?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Do you have park assistant?
Well I thought I did but now that I look.. I don't
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
What s the cost of all of that ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:49 AM   #11
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

I have completed a retrofit of ACC+TJA this week. I have:
1. Replaced DSC pump from Premium to Premium ACC, required sucking out brake fluid, refilling and bleeding
2. Replaced ICM from V4.7 to V5.7, required dismantling a complete central console
3. Replaced front lower grill for the one required by ACC sensor
4. Mounted ACC sensor
5. Replaced steering wheel with one suited for ACC+TJA
6. Add supply (fuse F45) and earth wiring to ACC sensor
7. Add S-CAN wiring from ACC sensor to KAFAS2 module and further to ICM
8. Coded DSC, ICM and ACC to my car
9. Done chassis height calibration for replaced ICM

Parts cost was below 900$, but I should still get back some money by selling old parts (M-Power Steering wheel, front lower grill).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #12
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
1. Replaced DSC pump from Premium to Premium ACC, required sucking out brake fluid, refilling and bleeding
2. Replaced ICM from V4.7 to V5.7, required dismantling a complete central console
4. Mounted ACC sensor

Parts cost was below 900$, but I should still get back some money by selling old parts (M-Power Steering wheel, front lower grill).
Great job! Is everything working as expected?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
volc
Private
Rep

Main thing was adding Night Vision. I have just decided to add ACC+TJA as well, as I was dismantling half of the car anyway.

All works well, but to be honest I couldn't find any real usage of TJA for me and ACC is also not exactly my thing. Nevertheless I was installing it to get automated emergency braking in case something unexpectedly shows up in front of the car I hope I will not have to test it, though
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Main thing was adding Night Vision. I have just decided to add ACC+TJA as well, as I was dismantling half of the car anyway.

All works well, but to be honest I couldn't find any real usage of TJA for me and ACC is also not exactly my thing. Nevertheless I was installing it to get automated emergency braking in case something unexpectedly shows up in front of the car I hope I will not have to test it, though
The next thing I want to retrofit is night vision, we’re you able to successfully get it installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #15
volc
Private
Rep

And it looks that getting new ICM helped in some unexpected way. Before rear of the car was set a bit higher. After new height adjustment it went 2cm down and feels softer, which I highly appreciate
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
volc
Private
Rep

Yes. I got a used complete set and I bought NIVI actuator from Adrian from Romania. All weeks well including laser spot lights. But to be honest I was expecting it to be more proactive. It gives warning only when somebody is exactly in straight line in front of the car. I haven't tested it much on animals, so can't say much about it. I would expect to get a warning anytime an animal is detected. No matter if it is in front or on the side of a driveway
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You will get a warning about pedestrians or animals on the sides only if they intend to cross the car's path, and that is a good thing. Otherways it will become annoying with so many warnings.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #18
mfbarnes
Rep

Quote:
4. Mounted ACC sensor

Volc, great info. I've got all of the wiring in and the steering wheel done. I've got a used 5.7 ICM module to upgrade my 4.7. Ran into a problem with coding though b/c the old 5.7 was coded to the VIN of the donor car and threw all kinds of crazy errors when I got it installed. 3 questions:
1) How did you code your new ICM to the VIN on your car?
2) How did you know you needed a new DSC? Mine is marked "premium" and will automatically engage the brakes if the KAFAS detects a crash. This is the primary thing I want the ACC radar for. My wife has been in 2 accidents and I'm tired of fixing the car!
3) Is recalibrating the rear air suspension a requirement with the new ICM? For the short time I had the 5.7 in, I didn't notice any issues with the suspension. Plenty of other issues, but the suspension was fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #19
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
4. Mounted ACC sensor

A assume that you mean the ACC parts were < $900 right? How much did the night vision end up costing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbarnes View Post
Volc, great info. I've got all of the wiring in and the steering wheel done. I've got a used 5.7 ICM module to upgrade my 4.7. Ran into a problem with coding though b/c the old 5.7 was coded to the VIN of the donor car and threw all kinds of crazy errors when I got it installed. 3 questions:
1) How did you code your new ICM to the VIN on your car?
2) How did you know you needed a new DSC? Mine is marked "premium" and will automatically engage the brakes if the KAFAS detects a crash. This is the primary thing I want the ACC radar for. My wife has been in 2 accidents and I'm tired of fixing the car!
3) Is recalibrating the rear air suspension a requirement with the new ICM? For the short time I had the 5.7 in, I didn't notice any issues with the suspension. Plenty of other issues, but the suspension was fine.
I have the same question about our DSC. I was driving in the mountains last night and noticed what jpw0809 mentioned where the cruise will apply brakes to slow the car to your set speed. To the engineer in me it would seem that there is no reason for needing another braking module when the computer can already control the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
volc
Private
Rep

I was comparing hardware numbers from realoem.com and from my knowledge DSC Premium is not enough. You need a one with ACC on the label.

I'm still learning Esys, but as far as I remember it was not that complicated. I have loaded new CAFd file to match my car and than did coding for 5AT and 5AR.

For me ICM after replacement was throwing errors and required height readjustment. But to be honest it was very easy. You just need a tape measure and a walk around a car Actually from that I am more than happy as afterwards car went down 2cm and compensates bumps noticably better.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #21
volc
Private
Rep

Yes, ACC parts costed below 900, including steering wheel (heated , DSC, ICM, ACC sensor and brand new lower grill.

Night Vision hardware was sth around 1500$, but I was quite lucky to get almost complete set from one seller.

As far as I recall somebody was writing that DSC ACC has 2 extra sensors inside. No clue for what reason.

As far as I recall KAFAS is only preparing brakes, by raiaisng the pressure, so when you press the pedal is brakes sooner.

Last edited by volc; 08-10-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #22
mfbarnes
Rep

Quote:
Yes, ACC parts costed below 900, including steering wheel (heated , DSC, ICM, ACC sensor and brand new lower grill.

Night Vision hardware was sth around 1500$, but I was quite lucky to get almost complete set from one seller.

As far as I recall somebody was writing that DSC ACC has 2 extra sensors inside. No clue for what reason.

As far as I recall KAFAS is only preparing brakes, by raiaisng the pressure, so when you press the pedal is brakes sooner.
I wonder if not having the right DSC is what was throwing the crazy errors when I put the replacement ICM in. What's interesting is that non of the wiring diagrams show the DSC in any part of the ACC system. Not that it necessarily means anything, but I would have thought if it were an integral part of the system it would have had some additional comm wires vs. non-ACC cars.
Appreciate 0