BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
yankeeboyX5
Rep
Drives: 2012 Red 328i F30

Samsung Galaxy S6 EDGE Owners ConnectedDrive Feedback Please

Hello,

Ordered my new X5 F15 35i on Monday - the dealer called me yesterday and said it will be in on the 15th!! Amazingly fast build.

I had a '12 328i which I loved, but my wife got really sick and I had to drive her back and forth from Pittsburgh to NYC for treatment and cancer care at the best...I traded it in for the first build of the '14 Overland - been about 2 years now. She needed something comfortable and "couchy"...it wasn't really an option at the time, but wow what a mistake I made. I have been in litigation with Chrysler for over a year...what a piece of junk, was in the shop for almost 3 months of the 2 years I owned it . Finally getting my settlement check this week and literally flipped it as a down payment on the F15.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 6 Plus and a few weeks before ordering the F15, picked up the new Galaxy S6 EDGE - really slick phone, I love the way it feels in the hand. That being said - I ordered the 6NR option (Enhanced BT/Office) and after much research, I am having a hard time figuring out the differences between Android and iPhone, and what ConnectedDrive has to offer.

What I HAVE found out is that there is an iPhone 6 cradle floating around in Germany that should eventually make its way here. I wonder if they would make a cradle for the S6/S6 EDGE, especially with its popularity.

I use Pandora & TuneIn on my phone daily and other than that - I could care less about Facebook/Twitter on my cars screen - in fact I would hate that.

Everyone I have read says the Android version of the app is horrendous, but then I read the same thing about the iOS version. If I stay with the S6, what functionality with ConnectedDrive am I losing out on? Is it really THAT bad?

Just looking for feedback from other users. If the responses are iOS all the way - well, I just have to dump the Samsung, but if I am not losing too much, I might consider staying with it.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboyX5 View Post
Hello,

Ordered my new X5 F15 35i on Monday - the dealer called me yesterday and said it will be in on the 15th!! Amazingly fast build.

I had a '12 328i which I loved, but my wife got really sick and I had to drive her back and forth from Pittsburgh to NYC for treatment and cancer care at the best...I traded it in for the first build of the '14 Overland - been about 2 years now. She needed something comfortable and "couchy"...it wasn't really an option at the time, but wow what a mistake I made. I have been in litigation with Chrysler for over a year...what a piece of junk, was in the shop for almost 3 months of the 2 years I owned it . Finally getting my settlement check this week and literally flipped it as a down payment on the F15.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 6 Plus and a few weeks before ordering the F15, picked up the new Galaxy S6 EDGE - really slick phone, I love the way it feels in the hand. That being said - I ordered the 6NR option (Enhanced BT/Office) and after much research, I am having a hard time figuring out the differences between Android and iPhone, and what ConnectedDrive has to offer.

What I HAVE found out is that there is an iPhone 6 cradle floating around in Germany that should eventually make its way here. I wonder if they would make a cradle for the S6/S6 EDGE, especially with its popularity.

I use Pandora & TuneIn on my phone daily and other than that - I could care less about Facebook/Twitter on my cars screen - in fact I would hate that.

Everyone I have read says the Android version of the app is horrendous, but then I read the same thing about the iOS version. If I stay with the S6, what functionality with ConnectedDrive am I losing out on? Is it really THAT bad?

Just looking for feedback from other users. If the responses are iOS all the way - well, I just have to dump the Samsung, but if I am not losing too much, I might consider staying with it.

Thanks in advance.
I just switched from iPhone 6 to Samsung S6 as well (bloody awesome phone it is indeed!). I have noticed a few things. One, i used to just plug my iphone into the USB and control my music while it charges. Worked flawlessly with the exception of a few connectivity issues on occasion where i had to reset icloud to get it linked. The S6 does not charge when hooked into the USB. If it does its barely charging. Also music through bluetooth is pretty terrible. You cannot scroll through songs like you could on the iphone. It strangly works the same as the iPhone on my F10 M5. So for the F15 i just loaded all my music into a USB drive and loaded it into the music collection. It works really great this way. Same as iPhone handled music. All functions, album art, etc are displayed. Sound is just as good or better. All other apps seem to work the same although i rarely use them. So now i just use the samsung fast charger plugged into the lighter outlet and it charges insanely fast. Overall, the iPhone works better with iDrive but not better enough to go back to the iPhone. I have had iPhones for 6 years and i'm really impressed with the S6. Battery life especially! Much easier to use with the back button on the bottom. The bigger iPhone was so clumsy i hated it. Thats the primary reason i switched to Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
..... Also music through bluetooth is pretty terrible. You cannot scroll through songs like you could on the iphone. It strangly works the same as the iPhone on my F10 M5. ........
Try this bluetooth connectivity update from BMW, if you have not already: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1091465
      05-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

There have been a number of S6 compatibility complaints on BMW aswell as other makes forums (Mercedes, Subaru, Kia ect ect), especially about bluetooth audio and album info and covers.
      05-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

I'd be curious to know if the S6 Edge supports the Office functionality in BMW Connected Drive.

My HTC One (work phone) works perfectly with our F15, so I can see all my work email right on the iDrive screen. My Nexus 6 (personal phone) doesn't. My One is now 2 years old so I can upgrade -- debating between the S6 Edge or getting the newest One (M9 I think?) so I can continue to use Office in the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
Phantom38
Rep
Drives: X5

I have a samsung note4 which I use with connect drive, and it works fine. Bluetooth streaming with spotify is good, and I can scroll through the tracks from the steering wheel. The Samsung has a'Car' option which you can select, which announces calls and texts but it's hit and miss.

The best Siri style option on android I have found is Robin, and whilst not quite as good as Siri, works ok on the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
..... Also music through bluetooth is pretty terrible. You cannot scroll through songs like you could on the iphone. It strangly works the same as the iPhone on my F10 M5. ........
Try this bluetooth connectivity update from BMW, if you have not already: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1091465
i'll have to check if available. my F15 was built september 2014.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

installed latest connected drive software. works perfect now. S6 is awesome! get apps: battery doctor and clean master and it will run 2x as fast and battery life is nearly doubled.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight
installed latest connected drive software. works perfect now. S6 is awesome! get apps: battery doctor and clean master and it will run 2x as fast and battery life is nearly doubled.
Glad it worked out.
      05-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
yankeeboyX5
Rep
Drives: 2012 Red 328i F30

Ok. Thank you all for your replies. I pick up the F15 Monday morning, and I kept both my Samsung and iPhone to test both before deciding what to get rid of. Spotify is a must so I think I'm going to use that as my "factor". Will report back
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboyX5 View Post
Ok. Thank you all for your replies. I pick up the F15 Monday morning, and I kept both my Samsung and iPhone to test both before deciding what to get rid of. Spotify is a must so I think I'm going to use that as my "factor". Will report back

Most welcome, but mostly, congrats!