BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Steering wheel heat fail. -10F

Well, looks like my steering wheel heater is not operable at -10F. It was working fine yesterday in 0F conditions. Just my luck when I really need the heat. #FirstWorldProbs

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Mine worked yesterday at -22F but it took a while to warm up to a decent temperature
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Steering wheel heating

Mine doesn't work at all, from day one. Apparently this slipped at quality control.
This is not the first time this had been reported, could somebody report back what the fix was?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep

So, the part to fix steering wheel heater is back ordered and they say a month. Luckily, it's still freaking cold in Chicago in a month so can't wait to use it again.

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

30 days??? Can you call it a lemon? I would at least request that the dealer pays me 1 month of the leasing. You paid for the feature and are not being able to use because of BMW lame supply chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
So, the part to fix steering wheel heater is back ordered and they say a month. Luckily, it's still freaking cold in Chicago in a month so can't wait to use it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
30 days??? Can you call it a lemon? I would at least request that the dealer pays me 1 month of the leasing. You paid for the feature and are not being able to use because of BMW lame supply chain.
I hope you are not being serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I can assume that your car was running and the battery was sufficiently charged? I only say this because I have had the displeasure of dealing with electrical issues in my e70 X5 (63 day long story) and have learned a great deal about how low battery charge can cause High drain power items to not turn on.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

It all depends on how important you are as a customer for BMW and/or your dealer. There is a post in this forum about a brand new X5 that is being replaced by BMW because of some issues showing on the computer (Powertrain Malfunction, etc...). Well, they could have told the guy to wait 30 days and they would fix it but they decided to replace the entire care. I have to clarify that he spent $100k on a non M X5 so I guess he is an important customer to BMW.

I personally had a 2008 X5 that was always having electrical issues and after many unsuccessful visits to the dealer they offered to pay 1 month of my leasing for all the problems I had.

In this case lemon law won't apply but having a cold package feature you paid for not working during the winter is just plain BS and BMW should be ashamed to say it will take 30 days to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I hope you are not being serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

In my opinion, there is a big difference between the power train malfunction of the prior thread and the situation here. In the other case, the customer had multiple errors while driving the car home. An attempt was made to repair the vehicle and the errors promptly returned.

In this case, the steering wheel heater isn't working and the dealership is working to repair the problem. Would it be better if the part was available sooner? Sure. But to say the BMW should buy back the car or the dealer (who has nothing to do with the part back order) should make a lease payment is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

The steering wheel problem is recognized and will be repaired by means of another controle module. Mine will be replaced when it arrivés, hopefully less than a month. But PLEASE be realistic guys. Like for every problem some instant solution is available, lying on shelf just waiting to be used. It's not realistic to think no malfunctions will exist in such a complex machine and building proces.

While driving today I got the warning the Adblue hadn't been filed correctly, which had been done at the factory plant. Maybe an air bubble or so, because after a restart all worked fine, and still plenty of fluid. I'll keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

I got the Power Train Malfunction warning in my car 3 times since I got it in November. Called the dealer immediately after I got the first message. Do you know what they told me? "The first available appointment is in over a week and we won't have loaners available." Really???? Is this customer service you expect weeks after getting a $80K+ car? Well, I noticed the message would only show on very cold days and once inside my garage for a while the message was gone. Thus, I ignored it.

I agree the case of the heated steering wheel is not that bad but BMW is really going donwhill in customer service and as many people mentioned in this forum "once you take delivery of your car you are on your own". Again, 30 days to fix a heated steering wheel malfunction? How about the wheels/tires winter package that they displyed in the dealers and people ordered to then learn they cancelled because they could not deliver? How about offering floor liners MADE IN USA to Canadian customers but saying theyr are not available in the US? I have owned BMW for the last 10 years (4 different cars) and in my experience their customer service has gone downhill.

Quote:
In my opinion, there is a big difference between the power train malfunction of the prior thread and the situation here. In the other case, the customer had multiple errors while driving the car home. An attempt was made to repair the vehicle and the errors promptly returned.

In this case, the steering wheel heater isn't working and the dealership is working to repair the problem. Would it be better if the part was available sooner? Sure. But to say the BMW should buy back the car or the dealer (who has nothing to do with the part back order) should make a lease payment is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree the case of the heated steering wheel is not that bad
That was the point of my original post in this thread.

Quote:
but BMW is really going donwhill in customer service and as many people mentioned in this forum "once you take delivery of your car you are on your own". Again, 30 days to fix a heated steering wheel malfunction? How about the wheels/tires winter package that they displyed in the dealers and people ordered to then learn they cancelled because they could not deliver? How about offering floor liners MADE IN USA to Canadian customers but saying theyr are not available in the US? I have owned BMW for the last 10 years (4 different cars) and in my experience their customer service has gone downhill.
I have had BMWs for more than 10 years and I don't feel the same about the customer service I have received. My experience with BMW and with my dealer has been great. The cars haven't been perfect, but I don't expect them to be, especially early in the first year of production. I think it comes down to expectations.

It seems that you are saying that if BMW doesn't give you what you want, then they are delivering poor customer service. I believe there are limits to what a car company and its dealers can and should do for the customer. Buying a car doesn't entitle you a buy back or a free month on your lease with the smallest of problems. Not offering every type of floor mat doesn't equal poor customer service, IMO. Again, I think it all comes down to expectations.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

I see you are from MN. Did you find a CA in the area that knew more about the new F15 than you did? In my case, I knew way more than the CA and I still got screwed. Which dealer do you take your care? I am wondering what is the response time you are getting when you need service. In my case, when a Powertrain Malfunction shows up in a car with 200 miles on it and the dealer tells me they do not have appointments available for the next 10 days, 2 things may be going on: BMW are selling in the Twin Cities like hot cakes and we need more BMW dealers to handle the demand OR BMW reliability is going downhill and too many cars are in need of service and dealers cannot deal with the demand.

Quote:
That was the point of my original post in this thread.

I have had BMWs for more than 10 years and I don't feel the same about the customer service I have received. My experience with BMW and with my dealer has been great. The cars haven't been perfect, but I don't expect them to be, especially early in the first year of production. I think it comes down to expectations.

It seems that you are saying that if BMW doesn't give you what you want, then they are delivering poor customer service. I believe there are limits to what a car company and its dealers can and should do for the customer. Buying a car doesn't entitle you a buy back or a free month on your lease with the smallest of problems. Not offering every type of floor mat doesn't equal poor customer service, IMO. Again, I think it all comes down to expectations.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I see you are from MN. Did you find a CA in the area that knew more about the new F15 than you did? In my case, I knew way more than the CA and I still got screwed.
I don't believe my CA knew more about the F15 than me, but I had all the same information that he did plus I spent quite a bit of time on this forum. I think all of us on the forum are more knowledgable than the average CA, mainly because we are interested and excited about the car on a personal level. My point is, you shouldn't blame your CA for not knowing things that we also didn't know as we all had the same information. You can blame BMW if you'd like, but incomplete information about just released vehicles has often been he case for BMW as well as other brands. That is one of the reasons that smart people wait a few months before ordering. They can monitor forums like this one and learn from the people who ordered before them. I couldn't wait.

Quote:
Which dealer do you take your care? I am wondering what is the response time you are getting when you need service. In my case, when a Powertrain Malfunction shows up in a car with 200 miles on it and the dealer tells me they do not have appointments available for the next 10 days, 2 things may be going on: BMW are selling in the Twin Cities like hot cakes and we need more BMW dealers to handle the demand OR BMW reliability is going downhill and too many cars are in need of service and dealers cannot deal with the demand
IIRC, you had that malfunction on the first day of that very cold snap and I'm sure the service department was swamped with calls from owners of many different models, old and new. Surely you can understand that they couldn't get everyone in immediately and give everyone a loaner. I'm sure it was no different at the Audi or Mercedes dealerships. If you expect to get service immediately at times of peak demand, I can see how you will be disappointed. Again, it's all about expectations.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #15
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not going fret over the steering wheel heat. They fixed another issue where the rear brakes were squeaking after a cold start and a few applications of the breaks. Overall, I'm still happy with my car. I knew getting a first run production car would have some gremlins - nothing like dencoop or others though (knock on fine line wood.)

I got an X3 2.8i loaner and was surprised how horrible the gas mileage was on the 4 cylinder (should be a diesel 4 not petrol). It was getting 12 city which is less than my 35i gets (15ish) and that's with auto start/stop. Oh, the thing was lightly optioned but it did have the extended LCD which I thought was ironic since the X5 requires some big options for the same display in the US.

BTW, I did specifically ask if there was a TSB for the rubber seals but nothing yet.

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Anyone get this fixed yet? Mine failed too.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

its a common problem , in Russia every second F15 had heating failure .
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
ljxrayman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport Mineral White

Just found out mine also failed last night while Vancouver's temperature suddenly dropped to -8 Celsius.

Call my sales and he said that he got at least 3 claims since last week...and the part, again, has to be back ordered (sigh...)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #19
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Mine was fixed within a week, and there is a new Control console which they replace. Not that much work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #20
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diper View Post
Mine was fixed within a week, and there is a new Control console which they replace. Not that much work.
Mine failed after using it less than 10 times. And I'm in Southern California so the low temperature didn't have anything to do with it. How's your new module holding up? How long ago did you get it replaced?

Z.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

I've got it installed 2 weeks now, and been using the steering wheel heater every time. No problems what so ever. The only hick up with the car is a spurious Ad blue warning, which has been traced back to the reservoir sensor and will be replaced 24th of february.
The steering wheel heater console replacement:
When the steering wheel is taken of, there is a ring console with all the lights and wiper selectors on it, which has been replaced. This module has been updated and the dealer stated that the steering wheel issue has been addressed and acknowledged by BMW this way
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diper;*****310
I've got it installed 2 weeks now, and been using the steering wheel heater every time. No problems what so ever. The only hick up with the car is a spurious Ad blue warning, which has been traced back to the reservoir sensor and will be replaced 24th of february.
The steering wheel heater console replacement:
When the steering wheel is taken of, there is a ring console with all the lights and wiper selectors on it, which has been replaced. This module has been updated and the dealer stated that the steering wheel issue has been addressed and acknowledged by BMW this way
Thanks! I'm taking mine in for replacement in two days. I'll pass on the message to the service department.

Z.
Appreciate 0