BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Trinitytwo
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15

Questions on lowering springs

Considering some springs for the F15 and wondering if anyone has installed them yet on this vehicle and what they think. I noticed one person on the forum installed H&R's. I spoke with ACS and theirs won't be avail for another 45 days or so.

In reading posts on installs on past X5 generations, some people have had good luck, and others had complained about bouncy rear ends, but later changed the links to recommended settings and had good results. I spoke with H&R and they said there should be no bouncy issues / rough ride when installed to their recommendations.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

r33 is the person you should talk to. He's lowering his F15 soon and I think has done his research and has his mind set on a particular brand.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Trinity,

What type of suspension option do you have?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Trinitytwo
Rep

It's the 50i M sport. Did not do dynamic handling package.

Last edited by Trinitytwo; 04-17-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitytwo View Post
It's the 50i M sport. Did not do dynamic handling package.
I believe that opted you out on the rear air suspension, am I right?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Trinitytwo
Rep

I believe it still has the air suspension, just not the self-leveling. Here is a clip pulled from the web:

BMW will offer a variety of suspension options on the 2014 X5: optional dynamic damper control plus automatic rear self-leveling; adaptive M suspension (available as part of the M Sport package), which includes dynamic damper control and rear air suspension with more sports-oriented suspension tuning; and the Dynamic Handling package, which combines dynamic damper control, automatic rear self-leveling suspension, dynamic performance control and active roll stabilization.

Thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
deadbuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M Sport

I have Msport suspension. Wish it was lower then the other options. Should be 2" lower from the factory IMO. Way too much gap between the tire and fender. The fender flares could have been longer also to hide some of the gap 1/2" or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Well, if you are equipped with rear air suspension, then it is self-leveling. In this case, you are in luck, because H&R have the lowering kit available already. I am ordering a few sets for my inventory.
But, if you are not equipped with air suspension or self-leveling, like mine, then you have to wait for it.
I supposed to get the first set of AC Schnitzer by next month. No price set yet unfortunately.
Based on my readings in this forums, most of the F15 owners are have DHP or some sorts that most likely equipped with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
katsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 (Tanzanite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Well, if you are equipped with rear air suspension, then it is self-leveling. In this case, you are in luck, because H&R have the lowering kit available already. I am ordering a few sets for my inventory.
But, if you are not equipped with air suspension or self-leveling, like mine, then you have to wait for it.
I supposed to get the first set of AC Schnitzer by next month. No price set yet unfortunately.
Based on my readings in this forums, most of the F15 owners are have DHP or some sorts that most likely equipped with air suspension.
I also have a M-sport non-air suspension...what does the AC kit consist of? Is it just springs, shocks/struts (which one do we have?)...coil overs? How much is the drop? Camber issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsu
Quote:
I also have a M-sport non-air suspension...what does the AC kit consist of? Is it just springs, shocks/struts (which one do we have?)...coil overs? How much is the drop? Camber issues?
Katsu,

The ACS will only consist if springs set only.
I have asked KW coilover if they are would be interested in developing coilover for the F15, but they said that there are no plan as of now.
I am most likely would be more happy with doing coilover, I may ask my ex-boss if he can build one for me. But it will be under my term, not his term, since I am not an employee anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
katsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 (Tanzanite)

Quote:
Katsu,

The ACS will only consist if springs set only.
I have asked KW coilover if they are would be interested in developing coilover for the F15, but they said that there are no plan as of now.
I am most likely would be more happy with doing coilover, I may ask my ex-boss if he can build one for me. But it will be under my term, not his term, since I am not an employee anymore.
bummers...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

I have totally stock suspension - no rear leveling / no dhp. Would love a stiffer setup...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas
I have totally stock suspension - no rear leveling / no dhp. Would love a stiffer setup...
Malakas,

Are you sure? What size wheels do you have?
Changing the springs doesn't necessarily makes it stiffer.
You may need to do coilover with dampening adjustment.
Once you got to 21" or 22", the ride will get stiffer due to less sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Malakas,

Are you sure? What size wheels do you have?
Changing the springs doesn't necessarily makes it stiffer.
You may need to do coilover with dampening adjustment.
Once you got to 21" or 22", the ride will get stiffer due to less sidewall.
I have the 20" wheels. I (foolishly) never drove a stock suspension x5, but I tested an older x6 which was fine. I find that the whole setup needs to have less roll and more dive/squat stiffness.

Would love coilovers, but worried market is too small for their development.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
rbrockman
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Took delivery of an X5d with M Sport trim and 20" wheels this last week. Went for a long drive this weekend through very twisty mountain and canyon roads.

I also feel there is too much body roll and am interested in stiffer anti-roll bars and lowering springs. The X5 understeers heavily into corners, and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar would help bring things back into balance.

I opted for the 2VF Adaptive M Suspension, but am unsure of what spring and anti-roll bar options are compatible.

Last edited by rbrockman; 04-20-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
rbrockman
Rep

My X5 MSport has the 2VF suspension option: "Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension". I have the 20" wheels and the wheel to fender gap is still huge.... It is just begging to be lowered.

I don't see any mention of self-leveling in the specs, but as r33 stated above, if it has air suspension it should have self-leveling.

I see that H&R now have springs which should fit the 2014 x5 with air suspension:
part number 28817-1 http://www.hrsprings.com/application...s/4/1659/2014/

I'm very interested and may just pull the trigger on these. I'd be much more confident if they would spell out the spring rates compared to OEM.

If anyone here has installed these - please let us know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Rbrockman,
The OEM and H&R springs are progressive, therefore, you can't exactly define the spring rate.
I haven't seen anyone installed this yet. But I just picked up couple sets for my inventory last week.
The way it work is very easy. You just change the front spring and install the adjustable link for the rear.
Appreciate 1
ericliuhc324.00
      04-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
rbrockman
Rep

r33 - thanks for the additional information. Can you clarify a couple of things?

This H&R spring kit consist of all 4 springs correct? My X5 does not have rear springs.

Are the adjustable links for the rear included with the H&R spring kit or are these a separate part one needs to order?

Last edited by rbrockman; 04-27-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrockman
r33 - thanks for the additional information. Can you clarify a couple of things?

This H&R spring kit consist of all 4 springs correct? My X5 has rear springs.

Are the adjustable links for the rear included with the H&R spring kit or are these a separate part one needs to order?
Rbrockman,
That H&R spring set that I mentioned is only for the Self-Leveling rear suspension. The kit only comes with 2 front spring and 2 adjustable link to trick the computer so it lower the rear self leveling suspension by itself.
In your case, you are out of luck like myself for now.
I am doing some testing currently, while waiting for my AC Schnitzer spring to arrive. I was planning to work on it last Friday, but I didn't have enough time. Hopefully I can get it done by Monday or Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #20
Trinitytwo
Rep

Quote:
Rbrockman,
That H&R spring set that I mentioned is only for the Self-Leveling rear suspension. The kit only comes with 2 front spring and 2 adjustable link to trick the computer so it lower the rear self leveling suspension by itself.
In your case, you are out of luck like myself for now.
I am doing some testing currently, while waiting for my AC Schnitzer spring to arrive. I was planning to work on it last Friday, but I didn't have enough time. Hopefully I can get it done by Monday or Tuesday.
R33 is correct - 2 front springs only for H&R. If u have rear springs u don't have self leveling. ACS will have an option for a 4 spring set that will work - Spoke with them last week and they'll have a 4 spring option - mid may or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
rbrockman
Rep

Good feedback guys.

In order to not confuse anyone - I must clarify that the 2VF suspension option: "Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension" does NOT have rear springs and is self leveling.

Looks like the H&R lower kit will work for me.

In retrospect - I would have prefered to have rear springs which would provide options over the spring rate. Self-leveling makes sense if you are towing, but I'm not sure why else one would want this option.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Rbrockman,

Of course it is personal choice.
Personally I wouldn't go with self leveling (air suspension) due to the life span of it and the replacement parts cost.
It is usefull though if you have a 3rd row seat and using it to tow, because it will adjust the height and load capability.
It also can gives you better ride comfort.
Appreciate 0