BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Question Job Interview Advice/ Job Advice

So I am going to be applying for my bosses job. He is retiring after 41years. I have a lot of stuff going for me, I have been getting trained and filling in for him for the last 8 years, lots of support from people around me and so command staff references that I am working on.

Should I go to my bosses boss and let them know what this job means to me and my family? Or is that unprofessional?

When I am in the interview should I let the panel know what this job means to me and my families future?

I suck at interviews sometimes ant advice would be great. This is the biggest opportunity I have ever had so just really reaching out everywhere for advice!

I don't want to walk away from all of this not feeling like I have done everything I could possible do and say.

This will be very hard to accept if I don't get this and I have to work with a new boss that does not know what's going on like I do. I have another 20 years left before I can retire.

Thanks!

Last edited by obert; 07-01-2017 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I think it depends on the type and size of company. If it's a smaller company and you know the upper management values family, then mention yours. Otherwise I don't think it's the right place to bring up your family in an interview like that. It's pretty much a given that a promotion will help improve your family's financial situation.
Appreciate 2
obert1781.00
jaye9441012.00
      07-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

I agree with bimmette. Quite honestly, bringing up the family could come across as desperate.
You want to demonstrate that your training and experience are a match for the position, show what you're bringing to the table. From your description, it seems you would be the obvious choice.

Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 2
obert1781.00
jaye9441012.00
      07-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Like said above, if you really have been filling in for 8 years, hopefully there is a familiarity or rapport you've created. Don't involve your family in the conversation. Discuss how you're in the best position to replace the incumbent, how your intimate knowledge and experience of the business will ensure things continue to function smoothly but at the same time offer what you would do to improve things to increase value.

With that said, they may be looking for a fresh direction and in that case you may have an uphill battle. Their response will give you a better sense of where they are.

Last edited by c1pher; 07-01-2017 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Do not bring up how much you "need" the job. I echo the good advice from all above...nothing wrong with telling them that you are absolutely the right person (right skills, familiarity with the boss' work, 100% colleague's support, any directional changes you can implement if needed) for the job. Have been in a situation where an underperforming employee reporting to me was trying to emphasize that he needs the particular job for his family and it did not resonate well with me/my managers whatsoever and came off as desperate and only served to weaken his credibility.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 07-01-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I agree about not bringing in the family, etc. You want to focus upon why they want you, not why you want the job. How you can bring both a solid understanding of the day-to-day, while also having some new ideas or ways to improve, that your old boss probably was less into since he was retiring. You might also include a discussion about your goals to move up into that type of position, as a subtle way to say 'if I don't get this, I may look elsewhere and you won't have me to rely upon for training the new guy'. I'd avoid saying it directly as it can sound churlish, but show them that you are wanting to move up.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone! Exactly the advice I was looking for! I was thinking it would come across desperate too. I will stick with my experience and knowledge of the job. I do have a few things I would like to change that my boss has neglected for years.

The pay increase start at 8 more an hour and after a year it would be 20 more an hour. I could be close or over six figures a year
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Hopefully its not one of those who you know not what you know type deals, usually upper management don't care how qualified you are but how often have you kissed his ass brown nosing. If your boss is retiring and you and him are close maybe he can put in a recommendation for you before he leaves. most jobs depending on industry and how high you are up in the corporate ladder doesn't require an interview but help from those above! Good luck !!!
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-02-2017, 12:50 AM   #9
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Whatever you do, please avoid saying anything negative about your current or former boss during the interview. Candidates tend to do this quite often when I'm having to conduct interviews, and I can't help but to think that they will speak negatively of me when the time comes for them to move on again.

Just my $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Thanks everyone! Exactly the advice I was looking for! I was thinking it would come across desperate too. I will stick with my experience and knowledge of the job. I do have a few things I would like to change that my boss has neglected for years.

The pay increase start at 8 more an hour and after a year it would be 20 more an hour. I could be close or over six figures a year

Last edited by ccdre; 07-02-2017 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
obert1781.00
sirdaft12202.50
NickyC17473.50
      07-02-2017, 01:50 AM   #10
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

No advice here, but wishing you luck mate!
Appreciate 2
obert1781.00
      07-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #11
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyMedicated View Post
Hopefully its not one of those who you know not what you know type deals, usually upper management don't care how qualified you are but how often have you kissed his ass brown nosing. If your boss is retiring and you and him are close maybe he can put in a recommendation for you before he leaves. most jobs depending on industry and how high you are up in the corporate ladder doesn't require an interview but help from those above! Good luck !!!
I was passed up for the last job I interviewed for because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
Whatever you do, please avoid saying anything negative about your current or former boss during the interview. Candidates tend to do this quite often when I'm having to conduct interviews, and I can't help but to think that they will speak negatively of me when the time comes for them to move on again.

Just my $0.02
Good advice and I am hoping my boss will be on the panel before he leaves. He is a great guy but is old school when it comes to paperwork and he was checked out years ago so stuff has gotten of track in a few areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
No advice here, but wishing you luck mate!
Thank!!
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Fairly consistent advice. Just try to think about what you'd be looking for. Whomever they hire is there to make them richer and enrich their lives, not yours. That's just a byproduct lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Fairly consistent advice. Just try to think about what you'd be looking for. Whomever they hire is there to make them richer and enrich their lives, not yours. That's just a byproduct lol.
Making the company money is not what this job is about.

Maybe saving money but this is a government job so people spend like mad.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Get some intels and tips from your current boss if you are close to him (you should be after working with him/her for so many years and filling in the duties).

Don't bring up about the family just like how others have mentioned. IMO, even they ask about it you don't want to start this kind of topic with them unless you absolutely know they highly value this regard.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #15
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I think it depends on the type and size of company. If it's a smaller company and you know the upper management values family, then mention yours. Otherwise I don't think it's the right place to bring up your family in an interview like that. It's pretty much a given that a promotion will help improve your family's financial situation.

As Bimmette point out, if it is a small family run business and this is important to them, then fine mention it. But no company is allow to hire someone based on their family background, especially if they employ 50+ people, they are only suppose to hire you based on your qualifications for the job.

With that said, this is what you should lead off with, why you are "uniquely qualified" to do the job, I say it this way since you want to show them no one else other than you can do that job at this time. Tell them why they would benefit from put you in the position, i.e you will come up to speed really quickly unlike someone outside. Also talk about what you bring to the table they may not find somewhere else, also things you notice which could be done better or different without making your boss look bad. I would not tell them you been learning your bosses job since if they do hire someone else, you may be ask to train them.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
As Bimmette point out, if it is a small family run business and this is important to them, then fine mention it. But no company is allow to hire someone based on their family background, especially if they employ 50+ people, they are only suppose to hire you based on your qualifications for the job.

With that said, this is what you should lead off with, why you are "uniquely qualified" to do the job, I say it this way since you want to show them no one else other than you can do that job at this time. Tell them why they would benefit from put you in the position, i.e you will come up to speed really quickly unlike someone outside. Also talk about what you bring to the table they may not find somewhere else, also things you notice which could be done better or different without making your boss look bad. I would not tell them you been learning your bosses job since if they do hire someone else, you may be ask to train them.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice. They questions will be predetermined and a panel of people will be asking the, usually 3 people and HR for taking notes. There may be a couple of questions that they as that are not on the script. Everyone who is interviewed will be asked the same questions.

They should all know I have been getting trained and working out of class. It's been 8 years and I have worked 2300 hrs of out of class time. I do have some great insight that know one else will have.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #17
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

#1 rule of successful interviews: it's not about how much you need the job, or how much you want the job, or even what you bring to the job. Everyone talks about that. It's about how much the company will beneft from hiring you. It's as simple as that. Steer all your answers to answering that question, and you'll be fine.

*I expect the usual finders' fee when you get the job.

Edit: Because I'm in a giving mood, I'll give you the #2 rule: Most companies don't really know what they're looking for in a new hire, so they ask the same boring questions. Think about what would be the perfect person for the job, and then tell them what they SHOULD be looking for, and then answer THAT question, not their boring question (well, after answering their boring question).

Last edited by schoy; 07-03-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #18
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
#1 rule of successful interviews: it's not about how much you need the job, or how much you want the job, or even what you bring to the job. Everyone talks about that. It's about how much the company will beneft from hiring you. It's as simple as that. Steer all your answers to answering that question, and you'll be fine.
This 100%.

Let the employer know what they will gain from hiring you. Considering that you are basically doing the role now, that shows you are someone who goes above and beyond your normal role. You aren't someone who comes in, does the bare minimum, and goes home. What kind of asset you can be to the organization as a whole will give you leverage over others who just need a job.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      07-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

So when is the interview? You comfortable speaking to your accomplishments and opportunities you've identified to solution for if you're the successful candidate?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #20
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The job is not even out yet and my bosses last day is Aug 8th.

I am pretty confident about letting them know what I have done while employed with them the last 8 years. I am getting some good advice from people on here and from people I work with that have been part of the hiring process for other positions.

I have already been asked what I think needs to be approved on. I know I can't come in and try to change to much so I will have to take on a small project and a big one at first.

I am helping coordinate a big training project right now too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #21
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

It's like sales, promise everything to get the job and then figure out how to do the rest afterwards. I find driving the BMW to work helps me each day figure out how in the world I'm going to do what was promised
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #22
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

If they choose someone from the outside over you and then you have to carry that new person's weight, I'd quit in a heartbeat.

Don't bring up family. Just because you have more mouths to feed doesn't mean you are more qualified or deserving of a particular job. Get the job on merit.
Appreciate 0