BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Where does BMW source their LSB paint from?

I got rear ended last weekend and the bumper will need to be replaced. I'm not sure about anything else yet, but I personally don' see any damage to the rear quarter panels or the trunk with the exception of the trunk gap looking a tad bigger on the side I was hit on. I had XPEL on the whole car, so most of the marks came right off. It's a 2017 Laguna Seca Blue M3, so I want to ensure the paint matches. I think I found the guy I want to do the work, but how do I ensure I get the same LSB that BMW used?

I'm just guessing here, but I assume there are multiple paint companies that produce any color you want and that's not what I want. I want the same source as BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Your paint shop (dealer or not) should know the BMW paint source. Tell them what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
I got rear ended last weekend and the bumper will need to be replaced. I'm not sure about anything else yet, but I personally don' see any damage to the rear quarter panels or the trunk with the exception of the trunk gap looking a tad bigger on the side I was hit on. I had XPEL on the whole car, so most of the marks came right off. It's a 2017 Laguna Seca Blue M3, so I want to ensure the paint matches. I think I found the guy I want to do the work, but how do I ensure I get the same LSB that BMW used?

I'm just guessing here, but I assume there are multiple paint companies that produce any color you want and that's not what I want. I want the same source as BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

I assume BMW is still using BASF Glasurit paint... they have for many years unless they changed it very recently.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think BMW is using the waterborne Glasurit 90-Line now.

Any competent painter who can accurately match paint will be able to perfectly match any paint code regardless of paint brand. Demanding the exact paint product will just be adding needless complication and frustration to your project. The results will be cosmetically and mechanically identical regardless of whether you use the premium lines from PPG, Dupont, or Glasurit. Unless the shop if accustomed to using Glasurit products- forcing them to use a paint line they're not familiar with is asking for problems in the finished product. It's best to let the shop use the products they're most familiar with.

FWIW, just about every paint manufacturer has mixing formulas to match every OEM color code out there. They even have formulas to compensate for factory color variations. Even if you find a shop that will use the Glasurit, they will still have to ensure a custom match- Not every color code comes out of the mixer perfectly the first time.
Appreciate 0