BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Maybe it's time for a second career?

Been in the healthcare field since 2005 and was thinking of changing careers. Recently, work has been really demanding and the stress that our jobs (spouse also in same field) cause makes me feel that it's not even worth it. Don't get me wrong, we get paid fairly well, get the flex time we ask for (most of the time) and have had mostly good management from the higher ups (there've been bad apples but most were good managers, not MICROmanagers). The past two months I've been sick due to stress and now the wife also had a similar thing. So it just made me ponder on this more.

In this light, I always think of ways to get out of this wheel. I feel that I want to start a business (for which capital I can save for) or even be in a completely different field (I fear that pay will be less but hey, had a very simple life growing up and so did the wife). I just feel lost sometimes and hopeless that we will be stuck and become unhappy due to this. Thankfully our son evens things out in the home and as much as possible we make the most of when we are w him and NOT think about work at all. It works, but then again, here I am always thinking of what else is out there. I've always dreamt big for myself and my family...

Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong field as I'm more right brained (I think) than left. Example, I was supposed to go into design school rather than science school in university but growing up w a parent in healthcare kind of steered me towards that and also because I did well starting out, so I figured, maybe it was the right thing to pursue at the time. Now I'm having second thoughts about that moment...

Some notes: we're both immigrants from SE Asia. Went to school there, moved here within the last 10years and acclimated very well here as we were both raised in the city much like where we are now.

I'm not looking to get advice but just sort of start a conversation. Not looking to get flamed (though this is the internet and people are mean sometimes). Maybe I should be a stay at home trader or something (always interested in investing) or own my own biz and be my own boss. Anyways, thanks for this opportunity to just voice this one out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Can and would you go back to school?
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      09-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Definitely a good conversation write up. I can tell you what works for me... I would rather be walking on the beach with $1 in my pocket with the people I love, rather than have $1,000,000 and be walking with someone I loathe. Money, toys, expensive things are irrelevant. Being surrounded by friends and loved ones is more important than anything. But to your point, the fact that you see that there is a problem is the first step in correcting it. You are a smart guy, you will figure out a new career path if that is what you need to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

What do you do in a healthcare?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Feels like it's getting shitty everywhere. Not the good old days anymore. Company's don't give a crap about employees.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      09-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Feels like it's getting shitty everywhere. Not the good old days anymore. Company's don't give a crap about employees.
Alright Debbie Downer, calm your tits...

Or you can come work for me... I think I can put your skill set to use...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Being what exactly
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Being what exactly
Beggars can't afford to be choosers?

Do you have a chemistry degree by chance? Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

No. Also have alzheimers so wouldn't remember if I did.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
wdb4673.00
      09-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Sadly, I have to agree with this. Corruption seems to just run wild in many places.

I do not have experience in the health care field, but I have 10 years working in the field of Technology. Technology in many companies/environments is just viewed as an expense. Whatever way a company can cut costs, cheat the system, etc is what they will do.

My company is a consulting firm that does IT work for school districts, colleges, and other companies. To be honest, the way the management treats many of their clients I'm surprised they are still in business. The technicians on the ground who form a relationship with the clients are mostly the reason the company still exists. We just lost 5 or 6 of our very talented younger technicians. Technicians who were a backbone of knowledge for many of the client sites. The reason? The technicians would've gotten a slight pay bump going to another company. Rather than hold onto them they said "see ya" and hired some inexperienced people because they can pay them $14 an hour. Two of my clients told me the only reason they still have a contract with my company, is because of my work ethic and the service I provide. They hate the management.

My current workload has tripled as of this past week with no additional raise. Basically there are a few other employees who can't get anything done. Instead of disciplining them, the work is dumped onto me because the company knows I will get it done. This kind of environment is why they are a swinging door for good technicians. The technicians get burned out, and leave for another job.

Bottom line is many companies do not care about employees, their goal is to get as much work done for as cheap as possible. If someone quits, a replacement will be along soon.

With all of that said, the grass is always greener on the other side, and owning a business is a different lifestyle. A good friend owns a business, and she basically works 24/7. There is no vacationing, no "driving home from work", work follows her everywhere she goes.

The best thing to do is weigh out the pros and cons of your job and lifestyle. What makes you upset about your job? What happiness does your job afford you or create? If the bad outweighs the good, then it is time for a change.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907384.50
BMWILUVU809.00
      09-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I don't know what you do in health care or if your skills can be used elsewhere, but after 20+ years in academia (after the US Army and a bunch of other fields), I have to say that academia has lots to offer. I could make considerably more in the private sector, but the perks in academia (like good insurance policies, tons of vacation time, flexible hours, and for me, working at the same school as my wife), make the idea of leaving for more money elsewhere a non-starter. There are high stress jobs in academia, of course, but the general atmosphere is not high stress unless you're a new prof trying to get tenure.

I'm currently sort of a technology advisor. When a professor or department needs to solve a tech problem, be it big or small, they come to me. If I can't fix it myself, I bring together the folks who can and get it done. My job is therefore seldom the same from day to day. There's always something new to work on. My undergrad degree is in geology, so you can see how far from that I am. My graduate degree is in technology management, but most of what I know and use I learned well before I got that degree. The key is being able to adapt your skills for new challenges. I think it's a lot easier to do that in academia because the pressure to produce a profit is not there (unless you're in recruiting and admissions).

Just browse the job openings at some schools in your area. See if something catches your attention and matches your skill set.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      09-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #12
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Definitely a good conversation write up. I can tell you what works for me... I would rather be walking on the beach with $1 in my pocket with the people I love, rather than have $1,000,000 and be walking with someone I loathe. Money, toys, expensive things are irrelevant. Being surrounded by friends and loved ones is more important than anything. But to your point, the fact that you see that there is a problem is the first step in correcting it. You are a smart guy, you will figure out a new career path if that is what you need to do.
Couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong I like the good things in life, house (which I still don't have), a nice car, health, happy son and a comfortable, stress-free (nonexistent) life, but I just think that where I am now will not make me genuinely happy. Maybe Im just a man who isn't ever contented, and my spouse keeps me in check on this one.

Not to divulge too much, my work is in rehabilitation therapy. Hospitals, outpatient clinics now home-based care, I've been there. This field is pretty varied and I admit I am an old-school guy who is in a very competitive field. My patients love me, but the pressure to meet numbers, Medicare changes we have to abide by, productivity, those weigh me and this field down. Unless you work for yourself, you're pretty much at the mercy of managed care and Medicare/aid rules. Pretty sad system to be honest. I'm originally from a country where most patients paid out of pocket, minimal insurance (at the time I left) and NO Medicare. Yes, most can't afford VERY good care, but it doesn't mean there aren't any places that offer basic care. Just don't expect your hospital room to be like a hotel. But I've always believed that this field is first and foremost, for the patient, the one who needs the care. It's all about what the patients say, and NOT numbers or if I was able to meet Medicare criteria to be able to say that I "did" my job. Sadly, and most patients attest to this, the system is the other way around, insurance dictates (80% of the time) what you can do OR you're pressured to just spend more time with typing infront of a computer than see the person infront of you. That's American medicine right there. I spread myself too thin all these years by not being like this, and end up taking home most of my work if allowed, and that has caused burn out.

I am not being political or anything. Matter of fact I hate anything that has to do with it. I'm just a guy pondering on what's best for me and for my family at the moment.

What interests me: being some sort of educator (about what I don't know yet), or maybe getting myself into investing (which is a cutthroat field in itself I'm sure), learn how to run a business (a mentor would be awesome), anything that has to do with design (looking into learning basic code...) and aesthetics (interior design or organization). Cars, of course (detailing, doing basic work on them)! Lots of ideas, but the biggest hurdle is having the balls to take the plunge to the unknown.

I always tell my wife, if this immigration to the US doesn't work out, we can always go back home (albeit as foreigners in our own land now) and do something there. Hopefully by that time our son can hold his own and go make a difference with his talents/traits. In my eyes, America has something for everyone, you just have to have that passion and the initiative to follow through with it.

Wow that was a mouthful.

Last edited by $iriu$black; 09-24-2017 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      09-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong I like the good things in life, house (which I still don't have), a nice car, health, happy son and a comfortable, stress-free (nonexistent) life, but I just think that where I am now will not make me genuinely happy. Maybe Im just a man who isn't ever contented, and my spouse keeps me in check on this one.

Not to divulge too much, my work is in rehabilitation therapy. Hospitals, outpatient clinics now home-based care, I've been there. This field is pretty varied and I admit I am an old-school guy who is in a very competitive field. My patients love me, but the pressure to meet numbers, Medicare changes we have to abide by, productivity, those weigh me and this field down. Unless you work for yourself, you're pretty much at the mercy of managed care and Medicare/aid rules. Pretty sad system to be honest. I'm originally from a country where most patients paid out of pocket, minimal insurance (at the time I left) and NO Medicare. Yes, most can't afford VERY good care, but it doesn't mean there aren't any places that offer basic care. Just don't expect your hospital room to be like a hotel. But I've always believed that this field is first and foremost, for the patient, the one who needs the care. It's all about what the patients say, and NOT numbers or if I was able to meet Medicare criteria to be able to say that I "did" my job. Sadly, and most patients attest to this, the system is the other way around, insurance dictates (80% of the time) what you can do OR you're pressured to just spend more time with typing infront of a computer than see the person infront of you. That's American medicine right there. I spread myself too thin all these years by not being like this, and end up taking home most of my work if allowed, and that has caused burn out.

I am not being political or anything. Matter of fact I hate anything that has to do with it. I'm just a guy pondering on what's best for me and for my family at the moment.

What interests me: being some sort of educator (about what I don't know yet), or maybe getting myself into investing (which is a cutthroat field in itself I'm sure), learn how to run a business (a mentor would be awesome), anything that has to do with design (looking into learning basic code...) and aesthetics (interior design or organization). Cars, of course (detailing, doing basic work on them)! Lots of ideas, but the biggest hurdle is having the balls to take the plunge to the unknown.

I always tell my wife, if this immigration to the US doesn't work out, we can always go back home (albeit as foreigners in our own land now) and do something there. Hopefully by that time our son can hold his own and go make a difference with his talents/traits. In my eyes, America has something for everyone, you just have to have that passion and the initiative to follow through with it.

Wow that was a mouthful.
Tangent: I've heard immigrants say this fairly often, im an immigrant myself, but i don't think people have comprehensively considered whether this is possible and would keep you happy. It might be a comforting thought at first, but im betting reality is nowhere near comforting.

You might look into healthcare management, or as you say get out entirely. I was in a similar rut and went back to school. Changed my life for the better almost immediately.
      09-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You might explore working for the VA - we don't have all the insurance BS, and I can treat my patients pretty much the way I think they need it, not by some accountant's 'auth schedule' (I'm in PM&R).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with this. Corruption seems to just run wild in many places.

I do not have experience in the health care field, but I have 10 years working in the field of Technology. Technology in many companies/environments is just viewed as an expense. Whatever way a company can cut costs, cheat the system, etc is what they will do.

My company is a consulting firm that does IT work for school districts, colleges, and other companies. To be honest, the way the management treats many of their clients I'm surprised they are still in business. The technicians on the ground who form a relationship with the clients are mostly the reason the company still exists. We just lost 5 or 6 of our very talented younger technicians. Technicians who were a backbone of knowledge for many of the client sites. The reason? The technicians would've gotten a slight pay bump going to another company. Rather than hold onto them they said "see ya" and hired some inexperienced people because they can pay them $14 an hour. Two of my clients told me the only reason they still have a contract with my company, is because of my work ethic and the service I provide. They hate the management.

My current workload has tripled as of this past week with no additional raise. Basically there are a few other employees who can't get anything done. Instead of disciplining them, the work is dumped onto me because the company knows I will get it done. This kind of environment is why they are a swinging door for good technicians. The technicians get burned out, and leave for another job.

Bottom line is many companies do not care about employees, their goal is to get as much work done for as cheap as possible. If someone quits, a replacement will be along soon.

With all of that said, the grass is always greener on the other side, and owning a business is a different lifestyle. A good friend owns a business, and she basically works 24/7. There is no vacationing, no "driving home from work", work follows her everywhere she goes.

The best thing to do is weigh out the pros and cons of your job and lifestyle. What makes you upset about your job? What happiness does your job afford you or create? If the bad outweighs the good, then it is time for a change.
+1

this applies to many careers.

I have been with same MEP firm for 17yrs. Its private firm, it has pros and cons as im the only plumbing designer so work load is high and can be stressful.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #16
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

"You can't buy happiness...but you can buy horsepower and that's kinda the same thing."

The healthcare field is what it is today because of what the health insurance companies have been forced to become.

Long story short, I may be unemployed within the next few months due to the whole M&A thing. I joked with my dad (retired physician) that I'd go back to school if that happened and his face lit up like a Christmas tree; to him, going to school is always the answer. When I told him I'd go back to school to learn a Trade, his face was no longer bright, LOL.

I'm actually giving it serious consideration now.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Trades are underappreciated in the US but that's changing somewhat. I worked a trade (car mechanic) for about 10 years before going back to school. I don't have a bad thing to say about my experience, but I'm also glad not to still be a mechanic. It's one of many trades that can take a toll on your body over the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #18
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Right now is the perfect time to get into a trade, mainly because many of them are overlooked by high schools. When I graduated from high school in 2008, our counselors showed us all of the options including colleges, trade schools, starting a business, etc. I ended up going to college and getting a 4 year degree.

My younger sister graduated high school in 2016. Her counselors basically told her that everyone needs to go to a big name college and get at least a 4 year degree or higher to even get a job. Trades weren't even mentioned. This is why a lot of high school grads are going to college getting 4 year History degrees not knowing what they want to do.

A friend of mine went to a technical college program for IT work. He got a few certifications, and I think it was a 1.5 or 2 year program. He now makes $80,000 and works from home supporting IT for a healthcare company.

If I were to start over tomorrow I would go to a trade school and get some certifications for network communications. There is a big demand for network and infrastructure engineers.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Right now is the perfect time to get into a trade, mainly because many of them are overlooked by high schools. When I graduated from high school in 2008, our counselors showed us all of the options including colleges, trade schools, starting a business, etc. I ended up going to college and getting a 4 year degree.

My younger sister graduated high school in 2016. Her counselors basically told her that everyone needs to go to a big name college and get at least a 4 year degree or higher to even get a job. Trades weren't even mentioned. This is why a lot of high school grads are going to college getting 4 year History degrees not knowing what they want to do.

A friend of mine went to a technical college program for IT work. He got a few certifications, and I think it was a 1.5 or 2 year program. He now makes $80,000 and works from home supporting IT for a healthcare company.

If I were to start over tomorrow I would go to a trade school and get some certifications for network communications. There is a big demand for network and infrastructure engineers.
Agreed. Universities are over-crowded and overly expensive. Very little bang-for-buck.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #20
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

Million times this.

lawyer, doctor, senior engineer then go to uni but otherwise, a complete waste right now IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #21
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:

Million times this.

lawyer, doctor, senior engineer then go to uni but otherwise, a complete waste right now IMHO.
Uh no. Finance, business management, accountancy, health care, engineering, marketing/hr, scientific research, academia. Pretty much any top level career you will need a degree and likely graduate school. The trade school argument is prevalent but imo pretty ridiculous unless you are fine maxing out at 80k. Do you want to work for the man or run the joint? And before someone chimes in with an anecdotal story of a friend who dropped out and makes millions, those are the exceptions not the norm or to be expected.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #22
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Uh no. Finance, business management, accountancy, health care, engineering, marketing/hr, scientific research, academia. Pretty much any top level career you will need a degree and likely graduate school. The trade school argument is prevalent but imo pretty ridiculous unless you are fine maxing out at 80k. Do you want to work for the man or run the joint? And before someone chimes in with an anecdotal story of a friend who dropped out and makes millions, those are the exceptions not the norm or to be expected.
You are correct on needing degrees for those roles. However, I know plenty of people in trades who do very well for themselves. Electricians, Roofing/Siding, Excavating/Landscaping, Painters. Guys who started their own businesses and make far more than $80k/yr. They are certainly doing better than I am in engineering. The key being that they took the risk and initiative to open their own business. The really smart ones took the earnings and invested in cash producing assets that then allow them to get out of the work-a-day world completely and indefinitely.
Appreciate 0