BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
loumckay
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport

Damage to my Drivers Rim

My wife, while backing up in a parking lot, turned the front wheels to soon and as a consequence scraped the heck out of the drivers side front rim. I have dispersed the potential of this ever happening again and divorced the wife...lol!!. Do any of you have any thoughts or idea's on how to fix / repair the rim, without having to purchase another. it is even hard to bring my self to wash it now...Lol.

The picture isn't all that great, but it's all I have, with my phone being the camera
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Try NOT letting your wife EVER drive your car again and/or once the alloy's are fixed get some Alloy Gator strips applied to keep 'em looking good

http://www.alloygator.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

You're going to have to get it buffed or if it's worse than it looks, welded - just take it to a rim repair shop or an honest body shop that does good work. Google rim repair near your location.

Also, what phone do you have? If you have an X5, I'm pretty sure your phone can't be that bad or old . Next time just push the phone screen on the desired object of focus (the scratch) so it zooms in preferably in bright natural light outside so flash doesn't have to be used. I guarantee you the picture will come out better . Good luck!
      07-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Try NOT letting your wife EVER drive your car again and/or once the alloy's are fixed get some Alloy Gator strips applied to keep 'em looking good

http://www.alloygator.co.uk
I am interested in the AlloyGators...do you or anyone else know where to get them in the USA?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbar1 View Post
I am interested in the AlloyGators...do you or anyone else know where to get them in the USA?
Hi. Sorry have been asked before. Will check with the guy who fitted my ones and revert back.

I guess you could google 'em or maybe contact the web site in the UK and ask about US based distributers or reseller?

Will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Here: https://www.bimmian.com/Mechunik-Col...for-BMW-F15-X5

Slight discussion of this brand here in comments section: http://www.wagenmods.com/RPS/product...&item=RPS&veh=

Video review of these strips purchased from Bimmian:
      07-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

If the face of your wheel is painted you'll have no problem rotting them fix for about $100-150. If they're the Msport wheel and have a machines face with clear coat, good luck getting that fixed locally. The local wheel repair places where I live couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Told me I needed a new wheel. Good luck!
      07-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Definitely repairable for cheaper than a new wheel from BMW. All depends on the rim repair facilities in your area. Here in Vancouver, we have one of the best, Nu-Brite. If you get stuck, I would recommend shipping the wheel down here to them in Surrey.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I have no experience with those strips and their A) ability to protect like they're supposed to and B) do so without looking bad. Presumably since Baunton and Opasha use them, the must look good or at least ok.

If they don't do either of those things well, I would say learn to ignore it, it'll happen again. From a few feet away, you usually don't see the curb rash and if your car is leased, I can say I turned in an '07 X5 with a TON of curb rash and wasn't charged a dime. That was turned in back on 2010, so obviously things can change.. but I'm assuming they considered it normal wear and tear within the limits.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I have no experience with those strips and their A) ability to protect like they're supposed to and B) do so without looking bad. Presumably since Baunton and Opasha use them, the must look good or at least ok.

If they don't do either of those things well, I would say learn to ignore it, it'll happen again. From a few feet away, you usually don't see the curb rash and if your car is leased, I can say I turned in an '07 X5 with a TON of curb rash and wasn't charged a dime. That was turned in back on 2010, so obviously things can change.. but I'm assuming they considered it normal wear and tear within the limits.
They do a good job, I have the scrapes on them to prove it.

I have black ones so blend in pretty seamlessly with the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post

I don't have rim protecters . I was just providing links for some alternative since Alloy Gators are a bit harder to get in the states. I hear they're pretty good, but after my many scuffs years ago, I've dramatically improved my turning and parking; it helps to know/memorize your vehicle's dimensions and where it can and cannot fit. I haven't dented a rim in years since.

However, as Baunton states, they do seem to protect well from all the reviews listed about them. They do blend if you choose the black like Baunton did, but it still is noticeable to me and takes away from the rim finish in my personal opinion. This is why I haven't bothered with them.

Also, the guy in the video review has no color sense, lol. You can't put such a flamboyant color on a silver car and expect it to match/look good. If he was trying to go for something sleek, he should have had a black car with black vossen CV3 rims. That's the only way extreme colors can contrast well and pop out properly without looking ricer. The guy in the video has a nice silver 5 series with machined black CV3 rims - great combo. He should have gotten black rims strips to match his machined black rim rather than trying to match his caliphers. Like I said, it only works if you do it correctly to match the paint of your vehicle or to create a proper contrast effect.

Good look/effect for color strips:

Last edited by opasha; 07-07-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
but after my many scuffs years ago, I've dramatically improved my turning and parking
As have I after doing such nasty things to those awesome style 214's on my E70 (amazing how easy, and ironic, it is to curb rims trying to park as far away from others to avoid door dings). Now to train my wife!
Appreciate 0