04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

BMW X5 Hybrid 40e vs Diesel 35D

Guys,

Theres's lots of comparisons between the gas and diesel, but i couldn't find any with the hybrid. We still have a chance to switch our order from the new 40e hybrid to the tried and true 35D diesel.

This would be a long term purchase for us so want to be sure we are making the right choice.

The price after ON Govt rebates makes the two costs between $2300K more for the diesel.

use case:
- commute is 25Km Mon-Fri, will install charger at home and have a charger available at work
- long driving maybe 20% of usage
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Your commute makes the D less desirable than the E.
We bought our D for traveling. All of the short-haul, around town driving we do happens in other vehicles more appropriate for the task.
      04-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

I have had the pleasure of having both the 35d and now the 40e (the 35d was demolished in a serious accident). So maybe I have a somewhat unique experience.

Here are a few of my observations. The 40e is heavier and you can feel the weight in handling as the weight distribution is skewed to the rear because of the battery. Acceleration is the same, fast, and the transfer from electric to gas is barely perceptible. It is very smooth.

The storage space in the rear is slightly less in the 40e but it has not been an issue for us.

We have had our 40e for about 5 weeks and have only purchased one tank of gas. On the first tank the average was 38.6 mpg, manually calculated (or 6.1 liters/100k). The more city driving/short trips you take the more the mpg of course.

Which is best? The answer is that it depends on which is more important. If you have charging capability at home and work and you have a relatively short commute (about 15 miles or 24 km one way) and using less fuel is important, then the 40e would be my recommendation. If you take a lot of long trips, where the battery would be depleted, then the 35d might be the best.

My final comment is that I loved the 35d. But the 40e is more practical for the driving we do. I now love the 40e. I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Last edited by HansRobert; 04-29-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Longun 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 4.0D M sport

As Hans states it depends on the driving you do.

If its mainly City driving where you can utilise the electric motor then the 4.0e is the one to go for.

If you are doing alot of long trips then bear in mind the extra weight of those batteries you will be lugging around with only a 2.0 petrol engine. Alot of long trips would certainly be in the diesal's fortee.

I haven't heard of any true mpg tests on the X5 but the new Mitsubushi PHEB was averaging around the 40 mpg mark over a 6 month test where it advertised 4/5 times that amount.

Add onto that the hassle involved with having to plug it in/out every time you dock at home/work!

Be nice to have some true motoring figures for the 4.0e where the driver does a mixture city/freeway motoring.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
I have had the pleasure of having both the 35d and now the 40e (the 35d was demolished in a serious accident). So maybe I have a somewhat unique experience.

Here are a few of my observations. The 40e is heavier and you can feel the weight in handling as the weight distribution is skewed to the rear because of the battery. Acceleration is the same, fast, and the transfer from electric to gas is barely perceptible. It is very smooth.

The storage space in the rear is slightly less in the 40e but it has not been an issue for us.

We have had our 40e for about 5 weeks and have only purchased one tank of gas. On the first tank the average was 38.6 mpg (or 6.1 liters/100k). The more city driving/short trips you take the more the mpg of course.

Which is best? The answer is that it depends on which is more important. If you have charging capability at home and work and you have a relatively short commute (about 15 miles or 24 km one way) and using less fuel is important, then the 40e would be my recommendation. If you take a lot of long trips, where the battery would be depleted, then the 35d might be the best.

My final comment is that I loved the 35d. But the 40e is more practical for the driving we do. I now love the 40e. I don't think you can go wrong with either!
Your experience with both cars is valued. I think you nailed the key points.

The truck will be for the wife, but occasionally I would use it and the handling of the heavier 40e is what would probably get to me. I know my wife could care less how it handles! Another drawback to this is increased tire wear.

I do have long term concerns as well as far as the reliability of the 40e powerplant. I know the 2.8 engine has won many rewards, so no concern there, but the mating of the electric engine and transmission, is still fairly new.

I think given we would use the car primarily for short trips the 40e does seem like the better choice for gas savings.

Once the battery is depleted how do you find the 4cylinder engine in terms of performance and gas consumption?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Your experience with both cars is valued. I think you nailed the key points.

The truck will be for the wife, but occasionally I would use it and the handling of the heavier 40e is what would probably get to me. I know my wife could care less how it handles! Another drawback to this is increased tire wear.

I do have long term concerns as well as far as the reliability of the 40e powerplant. I know the 2.8 engine has won many rewards, so no concern there, but the mating of the electric engine and transmission, is still fairly new.

I think given we would use the car primarily for short trips the 40e does seem like the better choice for gas savings.

Once the battery is depleted how do you find the 4cylinder engine in terms of performance and gas consumption?
The gas engine performs flawlessly and effortlessly. The battery is only depleted to about 8% leaving electric power to provide assistance when passing or starting from a stop. And it has plenty of power with the motor and gas engine combined. Regarding the gas consumption, it appears to be about 28 mpg (8.4 liters/100km) on the highway according to the computer. But of course that depends on speed, terrain, and other driving factors.

Since it will primarily be the daily driver for your wife commuting back and forth to work, with charging available at work, the 40e would be my recommendation. You could always take a portion of the tax savings from the government and use it to buy an extended warranty if it gives you more piece of mind!

Last edited by HansRobert; 05-02-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
x4guyNY
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 i35 M Sport

Another consideration: the e cannot be had with a 3rd row. That was a deal breaker for us as we regularly haul 4 kids in a carpool. We got the d and love it but would've taken the e if it'd been available with 3rd row.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
2016sx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Had a 13 35d. Was nothing but trouble. Its was just an around town
vehicle. Not what diesel designed for evidently. The noise is what finally
did it in. Only had 15K at trade.

A 40e would have been better maybe. Finding the 3.5i is very fuel
efficient around town and on the road. Better road mileage than the
diesel. Quite is a plus

Should have test drove a 40e, just decided to go back to a well known
straight 6 gas
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016sx5 View Post
Had a 13 35d. Was nothing but trouble. Its was just an around town
vehicle. Not what diesel designed for evidently. The noise is what finally
did it in. Only had 15K at trade.

A 40e would have been better maybe. Finding the 3.5i is very fuel
efficient around town and on the road. Better road mileage than the
diesel. Quite is a plus

Should have test drove a 40e, just decided to go back to a well known
straight 6 gas

Own 35d since feb 2014 canadian edition , almost 50 000 km , 49 000 with racechip on engine , the biggest problem is noise from lower arms on 23 000km
they were replaced in 1 day , since that ZERO problems , trip TorontoMiamiToronto shows 5.6 liters of diesel consuming .

Now i'm thinking about between new 35D 40e or new GLS Coupe , but last weekend i did testdrive of MB diesel edition and now in my list choice between 35d or 40e .

Sorry for your troubles .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks all who commented.

We will stick to our original decision on the 40e. We have found a Facebook group and have heard nothing but great things about the hybrid. One person even commenting how they haven't filled up gas in over two months sold us on keeping the 40e. It fits my wife's use case, and on top of this the govt rebate of $8,460 helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all who commented.

We will stick to our original decision on the 40e. We have found a Facebook group and have heard nothing but great things about the hybrid. One person even commenting how they haven't filled up gas in over two months sold us on keeping the 40e. It fits my wife's use case, and on top of this the govt rebate of $8,460 helps.
Scanido !!! Is it 8460$ For Ontario
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya B View Post
Scanido !!! Is it 8460$ For Ontario
Yes it is for now. As long as BMW Canada keeps base msrp below $75k

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/veh...e-rebate.shtml
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #13
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

Quote:

Tomorrow i will call to my BMW guy .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:

Will probably not last for very long as manufacturers raise prices every model year unfortunately. Just not sure who came up with this $75k limit! Just sucks the X5 doesn't come with the 3rd row unlike the XC90.
Appreciate 0