BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

Modest xDrive35i Build

On a budget. Plan to keep the F15 for 10 years. I know it is subjective but long term is there an option I will regret not adding to my config?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Congrats. I would question a light interior long term - especially if you have kids.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Multi contour seats. 20s look too amazing to pass up - very happy with them. Heated steering wheel is an unexpected joy my wife will never live without again. Heated rear seats also appreciated by our teens.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
RoadHog
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

My configuration is even modest then you , but I chose the multicontour seat over premium package.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

That's a good configuration. I would really consider the multi contour seats and give up Premium Package. You would not take that much advantage of the comfort access key; just press the key fob to open the door. And the soft close is not really needed. Then I would use the savings to add the multi contour seats where you will spend A LOT OF TIME using it. Also, for $950 only, I would consider those 20". They make the car look so expensive. And white leather for long term is not realistic. Get Terra, Black or if you must have a light color, then the Beige.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Multi Contour may not be mandatory for everyone. You should feel them in person and decide.
I strongly suggest Driver Assistance Plus given the fact you have already picked Surround View. Also, as others quoted, you may chose to eliminate Premium package. However, I like both comfort access and soft close doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Any of the suspension upgrades...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
GoSooners
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d

I gave up the HK system for the Adaptive M Suspension and find the base sound system to be pretty good, just weak. I have to turn the volume up to about 75% of max. There's enough bass (punch) with the base system. That's not to say that I'm suggesting any suspension upgrades. It was as a sacrifice to stay within my budget.

I'd have to agree with most others on seats though. I'm not a very big guy...5'6" 165 lbs mesomorph... but I didn't find the standard seats supportive enough. Fortunately, ordering the M Sport package gave me the sport seats with added bolstering. In your case, you'd have to order the MC seats, which I heard may be better than the M Sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Must be good times when a $65k car is considered "modest".
      03-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

If I was making a "modest" X5, this is what I would do.

No line: save $2600
No Premium package: save $2700
Concierge service: save $250

Total deletion: $5550

I would add:
Multi-Contour seats: $1300
Driver Assistance Plus: $1900
Choose one:
1) ACC Stop and Go: $1200
or
2) Dynamic Damper Control + Rear Axle Air Susp.: $1500

Total replacement cost cost: $4400 to $4700.

If I want to splurge a little more, I'd add the Lighting package. The wheels, you can always get later or even aftermarket brand for even cheaper price.

I have about 70-80% of all the options and this is what I would do.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
Congrats. I would question a light interior long term - especially if you have kids.
Well I have not ordered the car yet. Getting close, still haggling The ivory really scares me but I love the color contrast. I have beige in my current X and it held up pretty well with minimum maintenance. I will definitely look into getting the seats treated as I have one toddler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
Multi contour seats. 20s look too amazing to pass up - very happy with them. Heated steering wheel is an unexpected joy my wife will never live without again. Heated rear seats also appreciated by our teens.
Cool. I would love to have the Multi seats but I don't know what to replace. My car is garage kept so the heated wheel/seats would really be a luxury item for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHog View Post
My configuration is even modest then you , but I chose the multicontour seat over premium package.
I know right. I was going to forgo the Premo but I really want the comfort access. The upgraded seats is the one option I am still on the fence about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2025 View Post
That's a good configuration. I would really consider the multi contour seats and give up Premium Package. You would not take that much advantage of the comfort access key; just press the key fob to open the door. And the soft close is not really needed. Then I would use the savings to add the multi contour seats where you will spend A LOT OF TIME using it. Also, for $950 only, I would consider those 20". They make the car look so expensive. And white leather for long term is not realistic. Get Terra, Black or if you must have a light color, then the Beige.
All very valid points. Everyone is saying the multi seats is the way to go so I am still contemplating this upgrade. I like the look of the 20s but I have not driven the X with such large tires. Does it negatively effect the steering/ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Any of the suspension upgrades...
Had not considered it probably because I don't know what I am missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
I gave up the HK system for the Adaptive M Suspension and find the base sound system to be pretty good, just weak. I have to turn the volume up to about 75% of max. There's enough bass (punch) with the base system. That's not to say that I'm suggesting any suspension upgrades. It was as a sacrifice to stay within my budget.

I'd have to agree with most others on seats though. I'm not a very big guy...5'6" 165 lbs mesomorph... but I didn't find the standard seats supportive enough. Fortunately, ordering the M Sport package gave me the sport seats with added bolstering. In your case, you'd have to order the MC seats, which I heard may be better than the M Sport seats.
I love music so I don't think I can part with HK. I have not compared HK to stock as the X I test drove had HK and it sounded really good. Thanks for your input about the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Must be good times when a $65k car is considered "modest".
Modest compared to most of the builds that have been posted in this forum. But yes it is a lot of money and that is why I keep my cars so long. That is the only way I can justify spending this much money on a vehicle

...Not my car but one I test drove to confirm my appreciation for this color combo with x-Line.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
If you plan to keep it for 10 years, I'm not so sure if either ivory or regular dakota leather would be a good choice.
It will crack and be dirty down the road, better to get a darker tone nappa to keep it fresh.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep

Added the multi-contour seats in lieu of surround view and concierge service. As many have mentioned, I will probably regret the ivory/black interior as the car ages but when clean, it looks the best to me with a dark exterior. I also prefer a matching headliner (in terms of color). Thanks for your input. My final build looks like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by joejoejr; 03-30-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep

Premium Package

Struggled with this one as I really only wanted comfort access. In the end I went with it because I felt like using a key fob to unlock the door would make the car very dated in a few years....sorta like putting a key in the ignition today.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
stormcool
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 x5

how much did you play for it

What price did you get for the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #16
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejr View Post
Struggled with this one as I really only wanted comfort access. In the end I went with it because I felt like using a key fob to unlock the door would make the car very dated in a few years....sorta like putting a key in the ignition today.
I have c/access as I enjoy and wanted most items in the pkg. If I had to get p/pkg just to get c/access I would decline. I thought that c/access c/be ordered as single option. If not, ask for special order as it may be possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep

And the wait begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcool View Post
What price did you get for the car?
Close to invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
I have c/access as I enjoy and wanted most items in the pkg. If I had to get p/pkg just to get c/access I would decline. I thought that c/access c/be ordered as single option. If not, ask for special order as it may be possible.
Wanted comfort access + leather. Cant have synthetic leather in 60k car

Order Status
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #18
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep

I need a car for about a month

Just sold my first love (2003 3.0 X5) for $8k Anyone know where I can get a cheap rental for about a month? $700 to rent a Toyota Yaris for a month is ridiculous. My F15 is supposed to go into production the 2nd week of May.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #19
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Don't know what kind of relationship you have with your dealer, but he might be able to help out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I used to rent by the month for work. They'll negotiate the rate if you ask. I was always renting for several months in a row so used that as incentive.. Maybe pretend you are too

Try enterprise or hertz local (off airport).

I agree with the dealer angle though. I would start there, see if they can get you a loaner or rent you one, maybe a discount at enterprise at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
khsc
Rep
Drives: Nissan

checking similar options at GTA

Hi,

I am creating the specs for my order.
I have chosen Luxury line as my test drive of M sport lead to a conclusion that the suspension was too hard. and the seats were too firm.

Any inputs on Active steering and Dynamic adaptive suspension?
I have chosen just the drivers assistance package.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #22
AG64
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i

Here is my modest build, should be going into production on 5/2. Prior one was 2011 35i

Glacier Silver Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
ZLL Luxury Line
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZPP Premium Package
300 Space-saver spare
417 Rear manual side window shades
456 Multi-contour seats
4NB 4-zone automatic climate control
5DL Surround View
688 Harman Kardon surround sound system

Luxury Line was a way to get the 19s. After this winter in NY and cratered roads all around the city, as well as hearing from friends with busted rims was't really going for the 20s. MC Seats - had them on the prior 2011 35i and wouldn't want to be without them, even on short trips. Basically aside from HUD this is a copy of my 2011 build, with a difference being Comfort Access used to be a separate 1000 option. 90% of my driving is in the city on the weekends, so being on the budget i went for the non-M options. The only carved mountain roads here - are on ramps to the highways and bridges
Appreciate 0