BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #23
1dom1
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I've experienced no issues you've described with ~8000 miles. If I'm cruising/casual I leave everything on comfort, and it drives, well, comfortably. No lurch, no lag, etc. Sport+ otherwise. I hope this goes without saying, but just to make sure... the S1, S2, S3 levels determine the shift points and rev holds (on Auto). Yes, it will hold your rev for a long time without shifting on S3, especially when you're driving aggressively. In manual mode, this will affect how harsh/snappy your shifts change. The car will adapt to your behaviors.

Cute Macan, btw.
I agree, cute macan
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      03-26-2017, 04:48 AM   #24
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge944 View Post
I have found the best "solution." I replaced my X5M with a Macan Turbo and couldn't be happier. No throttle response issues, transmission is extremely smart, and a more versatile car overall.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #25
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChapin View Post
I have also observed the same sluggishness off the line and then sudden hard spurt of power delivery. Maybe it's turbo lag, maybe it's programming, maybe it's both, but it's real -- and real annoying at times.

Never once seen such issues with the PDK in the other car.

Also I must say that the X5M's slush box pretending to be a DCT has got to be one of the dumber ideas out of Munich, slotted right behind pumping fake engine noise thru the speakers and the 5 series grand turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
completely agree- the zf is one of the best tuned auto's I have ever driven.

the shifts are lightning quick, as fast or even faster than the dct, but the minuses are abrupt gear changes in s3 mode, as well as skip shifts are not smooth (example 3 gear downshift request, goes 1 gear, then skips 2 gears, instead of DCT instant 3 gear blip)

also torque modulation by the computer is a PIA, on WOT. there is no blap blap blap f1 type feeling like a DCT gear change, the zf shifts and the engine torque is modulated by a computer to reduce stress on the auto.

mb in house trannys are the worst IMHO. my w204 c63 would ignore my requests half the time, current gen c63 is better, but still not smooth and harsh on low speed.
I'm considering an X6m, so what's worse, the ZF tranny in the X5/6M or the MCT in the C63/E63 circa 2014? I had a DCT in my 2014 M5 and now have the MCT in the E63 and they are light years apart. The E63 has its perks, but the tranny is not one of them unfortunately. From a dig and upshifting isn't so bad, but downshifting and the lag/buckling it undergoes when trying to accelerate after slowing down a bit is annoying.

If I could make a frankenstein car between the two, the M63, I would never have to buy another car again. It will be a shame if the new M5 ditches the DCT for a more conventional auto tranny.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:39 AM   #26
AlexLou1222
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M 2014 X1

I agree with the normal driving it's hard to keep it smooth when take off. I got used to it just accepting its part of the car's behavior lol