09-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #67
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauWeiss View Post
I stumbled upon the new X5 parked outside of the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver, BC today. It looks pretty good from the front.
Just across the street in front of the Olympic torch, a "private event" was being held which I assume was related since the newly built structure had "THE NEW BMW X5" written on it.

]
This one looks better with the wheels and the flared arches, it's still pretty ugly though. I hope the ///M looks a lot better.
      09-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #68
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
it looks terrible with those tiny wheels
+1 Or the arches are too big...
      09-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #69
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauWeiss View Post
It was black (not sure if jet black or metallic) with saddle brown interior. Great color, IMO, but then again I've always bought black cars.
I don't understand the white inserts on the black X5 I posted the picture of, I really hope it won't go into production like that. Otherwise the front looks good, obviously it has a similar headlight design as the 3/4 series.

I'm sure the car will sell well and the haters will convert.
Thanks for the pictures. Don't suppose you took one of the rear and side profile?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #70
gplank
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sport Utility 35i

Those non-painted arches are not offered in the BMWUSA configurator, even if you add the 20 inch wheels. Compared to the M version, the 20 inch wheels don't extend out far enough to require the flares...the wheels are more 'tucked in." On the M version, the wheels are set out further, and flares are painted the same body color.

The previous model would have the non-painted (plastic) flares if you ordered the 20 in wheels. So, I wonder what's going to be orderable.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #71
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
it's so gorgeous
really???

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #72
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Just read this in the Edmunds review. It's the same reason I ditched my F10. Looks like BMW won't be getting my business on this one either....

When will they learn to fix this?!?!?!
yes, this is why I did not buy F10 Msport rear wheel drive when they where still available. I just could not stomach the boat like feel and horrible artificial steering. Looks like F15 will be soccer mom hauler and not sporty SUV. I guess it is back to true and tested (with some problems) E70.

What a disappointment. If I would like a boat I would buy Merc ML or Q7. Now looks like new X is the same crap (excluding ugly Cayenne)

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #73
smartbot
Registered
Rep
Drives: Infiniti g35

Just found this review on YouTube:

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #74
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 30d

Here is another very extensive review of the new 2014 X5, by Paultain:
http://paultan.org/2013/09/14/x5/

Enjoy,
Alessandro
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #75
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarix
Here is another very extensive review of the new 2014 X5, by Paultain:
http://paultan.org/2013/09/14/x5/

Enjoy,
Alessandro
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #76
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep

A few more Driving Impressions

On the posts below, I'll paste excerpts from a few more Driving Impressions; I decided to split the excerpts in multiple posts, so that everything can be easier to read instead of a huge big post. Moderators, please excuse me ff I'm braking a rule; if so, I'll correct immediately

Excerpt from http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...ew_first_drive:

DRIVING

But it's the change under the skin that really matters, and that shows when you hit the road with more refined manners. It's quieter and rides better, with degrees of comfort or sportiness selected simply in the 30d but a bit more confusingly with the 50i's extra settings. There's some wind rush around the monster side mirrors, but little tyre or engine noise is rude enough to intrude.

On paper, the 50i's outputs trounce the 30d, but the diesel lacks so little that you wonder when all that extra would come into play -- except perhaps for spontaneous overtaking, where the 50i doesn't need any forethought. The diesel gives you all the torque at an early 1500rpm, and while it fades a bit above 3000rpm there's still enough there for most jobs.

But there's no overlooking the 50i's shovels of torque and power, which makes response so instantaneous as to seem mind-controlled. Think overtake, and you're past. It downshifts at almost any middling throttle stamp, and heads for the horizon.

There's not enough ground clearance for serious offroading -- and seriously, the target buyer has no intention of going there. But a run through an admittedly mild circuit of gravel and mud showed it will able to amble over most dirt tracks unless there are deep washouts.

Buyers will be more focused on the interior than the undercarriage -- or even what's under the bonnet. And on that score, they've no concerns. The cabin is a luxurious place to be; beautifully formed and finished. Our test cars perhaps had one too many variations of finish, with two tones of leather, veneer, piano black and metal within a handspan on the terraced dash. But that aside, there's little to fault in the prestige furnishings.

Last edited by Patarix; 09-22-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #77
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Excerpt from http://news.drive.com.au/drive/new-c...920-2u41u.html:

Not matter how many people it's carrying though, the X5 offers more than adequate levels of performance, luxury and flexibility in the way it drives.

We only got to sample the range-topping petrol V8 (dubbed X5 50i) and the mid-spec turbo diesel (X5 30d) on the launch north of Vancouver, but, by the time it arrives in Australia, they will be joined by the M50d with its monstrous 700Nm triple turbo diesel six-cylinder and a rear-wheel drive model with a 2.0-litre turbo four (called the X5 sDrive 25i) will become the price leader when it joins the range in the middle of next year.

Not surprisingly, the 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8, which produces more both power and torque - up 30kW and 50Nm to 330kW/650Nm - and yet uses less fuel, is the sweetest of the two engines. It feels effortlessly powerful and ultra smooth in its delivery and is matched perfectly to the seamless eight-speed automatic gearbox for relaxed cruising.

Flick it into Sport mode and its character rises from effortless to energetic and it makes light work of overtaking or a quick blast up a back country road.

There's also enough aural presence emanating from its twin tailpipes to please the driver, and alert other motorists of its potential performance.

The diesel is hardly a slouch either; with 190kW and 560Nm on tap it feels nearly as rapid as the V8 and just as effortless, but doesn't have the same level of smoothness, nor does it sound as sweet.

Underneath the X5, it now rides on a mixed suspension set up with conventional steel springs up front and air-filled dampers at the back linked to an adaptable system with comfort and sports settings. In the former, both variants of the X5 we drove displayed exceptional levels of ride comfort even on 20-inch alloys, although it must be noted that the roads were typically smooth for an Alpine region and we'll have to reserve final judgement of how it will tackle Australia's patchwork of roads when it arrives.

Similarly, in Sport mode both handled the twisty mountain passes with such sure-footedness that they easily masked their two-tonne kerb weight.

If there's any area for improvement it's the car's steering feel; in both comfort and sport modes, the electric assistance doesn't return to centre as naturally as a traditional hydraulic system, but otherwise feels light around town for such a big car.

But, overall, the new X5 displays incremental improvements in every conceivable area - luxury, performance and efficiency - that is a clear case of if ain't broke, don't mess with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #78
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Excerpt from http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...h-review-39003:

ON THE ROAD
>> Smooth operator on and offroad
If you’ve made it this far you’ve probably noticed that although there are a lot of additions, there are just as many points that remain the same... That’s the way X5 buyers want it and that’s why BMW built it so... Sounds logical, right?

Of course it does. The X5 continues to sell in strong numbers, even this late in its life cycle. And like they say, if it ain’t broke...

But of the fixes BMW has made to the X5, perhaps none are as evident, or improved as the ride quality. The second generation X5 was criticised by some for being too firm. Problem solved -- the new X5 is a far better blend of ride and handling, with a focus that sees the comfort side of the equation better tended to, with little loss to its much-admired handling.

It’s especially noticeable offroad. Vancouver’s beautifully sealed highways did little to challenge the X5’s suspension, so the path less travelled gave us a chance to explore just how well the large SUV would deal with potholes, ruts and rock. And deal with them it did...

It’s not as cushy as the Ford Territory, for example, but it is a marked improvement over its predecessor. As well as being well mannered on the rough stuff, it’s also a capable cornerer, and one that hides its obvious bulk rather well.

As you’d expect from a premium SUV, feel and feedback to the driver are spot on, or just about. The brake pedal feel is progressive and weighted to deliver a sedan-like level of modulation that sees the X5 stop with the finesse of a light hatch. Most of the secondary controls are similarly tactile.

The issue is, however, that the electric power steering doesn’t feel quite right. It doesn’t return to centre of its own accord and is ‘dead’ just off-centre before again feeling ‘normal’ as you progress through your turn.

Driving the xDrive30d (diesel) and xDrive50i (petrol) on launch it’s obvious that there’s disparity between the engine outputs. That’s to be expected, and obviously both will suit different buyers and are therefore incomparable in many ways.

It’s the 30d that impresses in its even-handed delivery. The oiler doesn’t have to work hard to achieve results, and works cooperatively with the eight-speed auto to rise and fall through the rev range with minimal fuss. The torque comes on strong and only really seems to fall short when summoned to overtake.

That’s not an issue the V8 50i seems to suffer. Whether it’s the break from the blocks, climbing a hill or pulling out to pass, the twin-turbo offers effortless power from any point on the tach -- matched by an addictive bassy growl.

The smooth roads of the hills surrounding Vancouver did little to show up road noise from the X5’s tyres, though on Aussie roads this could prove an issue. The only other NVH issue we really seemed to pick was a little wind hiss from the big mirrors, which we might add proved beneficial when changing lanes and parking.

As much as the new X5 isn’t a radical departure from its predecessor, the changes that have been made are rational, welcomed and entirely in-line with buyer expectations. Moving from a recipe that has seen the X5 become BMW’s gravy boat would be a foolish move, and we’re pleased to see that the Bavarians have played it safe.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #79
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Excerpt from http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysi...ean-and-loaded:

Drive: Soft and Subtle Improvements

Considering that the Malaysian market won’t get the 4.4-litre turbocharged V8 of the xDrive50i, and the xDrive35i wasn’t available at the time, I opted to have a go in the ‘reasonably’ powered xDrive30d.

For something that tips the scales of 2,145kg, the X5 xDrive30d accelerates off the line effortlessly with a 0 to 100km/h boast of 6.9 seconds, fast enough to shame some hatchbacks.

With its peak torque of 560Nm served up from 1,500 to 3,000rpm, it simply dissolves away any notion of weight and heft that the X5 has. Its generous spread of power means that you will be riding a relentless and constant wave of torque most of the time.
Its eight-speed automatic transmission is flawless in delivering all that power, shifting at the right time to maximise fuel efficiency without stuttering its pace when left in “Comfort” or “ECO PRO” mode, or holding onto the gear when you are really wringing out the power from the engine in “Sport” mode.

The “developed for the road” phrase kept ringing in my head as I powered through some switchback corners in the Canadian countryside, and marvelled at just how well composed the X5 felt with minute amounts of body roll.

Where SUVs would generally stampede through a road like elephants on a tightrope, with its quick responses and stability in the corners the X5 felt more like a car. Its new electric power steering further reinforcing a sense of lightness and agility, even though it is still doesn’t deliver much in the way of actual feedback.

Leave the X5’s Dynamic Performance Control in “Comfort”, and the steering feels loose with plenty of lateral body movement through high speed bends. Switched it over to “Sport” and the steering weighs up nicely, and the ride becomes more planted at higher speeds.

That said the stiffened shock absorbers in “Sport” mode did transmit a noticeable amount of vibrations from any crack or gap on the weather-worn roads, but those are minor complaints as the ride quality was remarkably absorbent and supple.

According to BMW the goal of the new X5’s suspension tuning was to make it more comfortable, and from my initial impression, they have succeeded in doing so. The ride strikes a perfect balance between the demands of dynamic sharpness and ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #80
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Excerpt from http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...9_2014_bmw_x5/:

The twin-turbo 4.4-liter V-8 makes 445 hp and 480 lb-ft of torque, while the twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6 makes 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. Then you can get the six-cylinder engine in the customary all-wheel-drive X5 xDrive35i or in the new, rear-wheel-drive sDrive35i. Plus there's a twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6 diesel expected in the spring, which will make 255 hp and 413-lb-ft of torque. We found the personality of the V-8 engine to be somewhat stolid, while the diesel proved livelier, yet the eight-speed automatic really proved to be the dominant player in the powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #81
Patarix
Enlisted Member
Rep

X5 xDrive30d Test Drive:

We started out our test drive in Vancouver by selecting the all new 3.0 liter six-cylinder TwinPower Turo diesel. This new diesel powered motor outputs 255 horsepower and a massive 413 lb-ft of torque delivered between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm and should send the X5 from 0-62 in roughly 6.9 seconds. When mated to the brilliant 8-speed automatic transmission, this xDrive30d is a match made in heaven for power delivery and amazing (hopefully) fuel economy.

Our test drive route for this X5 was heading out of Vancouver towards Whistler and the windy roads that surround it. Being in Vancouver to start, we had the wonderful opportunity to do what everyone will do in an X5 in the city – enjoy the interior since you will not be going anywhere fast. Once out of the madness, we welcomed wide open two lane roads that spiraled into the beautifully landscaped distance. The first bit you notice in the diesel is the immense torque available to you immediately and just how useful that power is. The 400 plus lb-ft of torque is incredible for short distance passes or for many other handling maneuvers. It is almost hard to believe from the power delivery that this motor is only rated at 255 horsepower as you never find yourself asking where the power is. Although we did not have any ability to do any towing with the diesel, we would think the 30d would be an excellent choice over a 35i version for those who have this as a concern.

This X5 was equipped with the optionally available Dynamic Handling Package ($4,500) that provides both options 2VM (Dyamic Damper Control + rear axle stabilization) and 2VP (Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabalization) which may have contributed to the dual personality that the X5 seems to offer. While driving the X5 over rough roads, the suspension absorbs more of the bumps to offer a luxury experience but toughens up to plant the X5 solidly in the road for some aggressive driving around your favorite set of switchbacks. One of the biggest complaints will come from the adoption of Electric Power Steering (EPS) in the car which simply feels odd for those of us coming from a traditional hydraulic system. While you may be able to tell that the EPS is present, you should not have any complaints about how accurate the steering is. The X5 felt solid in the roads we threw at it and I was very impressed with the overall feedback in the system.

Throughout the test drive, we rotated through all the fancy modes that BMW includes with the driver experience button including ECO-PRO, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ and found that there were noticeable changes to the driving dynamics between the modes but that the X5 was surprising fun in everything but ECO-PRO where it is mostly suited for improving your fuel economy on a highway drive. We did not spend much time in ECO PRO (and were not light on the pedal either) but we still managed to get an impressive 27 mpg throughout our time with the xDrive30d. This is better than I would have expected with the power available and the tendency to enjoy all of that experience. Driving the X5 reasonably, I would expect a much better fuel economy into the 30s with official numbers to come from the EPA in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

X5 xDrive50i Test Drive:

After spending the first half of the day with the diesel, we swapped cars at lunch and moved on to the xDrive50i that features a 4.4-liter V-8 with BMW TwinPower Tubo technology. This is an improved motor over the outgoing 50i and clocks in with 445 horsepower and 479 lb-ft of torque. The big V-8 motor puts down power quickly and sends the X5 from 0 to 62 in an estimated 4.9 seconds.

After sliding into the Mineral White X5 with Mocha Leather interior, we got all the bells and whistles adjusted and were off to see how this model compares to the diesel. Straight out of the gate on some non-highway roads, I was surprised just how similar that initial burst of power was between the diesel and this V-8. It was more a compliment to the diesel than a criticism of the 50i though. When the roads cleared up to allow a more spirited drive, the 50i really came to life. The large dose of horsepower combined with the gobs of torque sent the X5 rocketing into the distant roads. The power delivery was smooth and staggering from this model but that is what you would expect from a car that starts at roughly $12,00 more than the xDrive30d.

Just like the xDrive30d, this bigger brother was a lot of fun to drive and felt like it was a sports car wrapped in an SAV's body versus the models from competitors like Audi which feel the other way around. BMW once again has managed to make a big car feel like you are driving something much smaller. The only time you really notice the size is when you are in the city and even then you only notice it if you are looking for it like we were.

We had one more test for the X5 before we were done with it though; BMW had set up an off-road course for the X5 at the former Olympic Park outside of Vancouver. The course was not extreme by any means but was set up to test out the xDrive system over rough terrain, through muddy climbs and up/down steep inclines. (Side Note: If you want a similar experience, you should look into doing a Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina. ) We were led through the course with other X5s following a BMW driver who you followed through the obstacles so that you could see just how well xDrive performed. You could also bring up the new xDrive Status screen on the Control Screen while doing these procedures to see real time information on body roll and pitch as well as seeing what wheels are driving the X5 at the time. Take a look at some video from the system when the X5 was on the off-road course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ylqb4cDWMsE

After completing the course, our previously beautiful Mineral White X5 was no longer so clean but it had earned a badge of courage for traversing the off road course with ease. While you (like most people) may not take their $70,000 X5 off road like this, it is great to know what the car is capable of handing if you need it to. You may even now be more likely to take a chance with your X5 camping out with your family – though I would be weary of optioning up the wheels since your chances of putting a gash in your gorgeous 19s or 20s just went up remarkably.
Appreciate 0