BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

01-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #45
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Can any US owners of the Dinan tune give their opinion on the warranty coverage provided with it? Have you had to get any service done under it and was it easy to get done, or did they try to weasel out of it? How does it play with extended warranties? All that good stuff.

This intake + stage 2 is really tempting, but I fear the potential warranty related issues.
      01-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #46
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Correct. If you had stage 1 you could update your existing box to stage 2 for the cost difference between stages.
If I put a set of cat less down pipes, would the stage 2 compensate for it and turn off the CEL? The r is Dinah coming out with a set of DP and a stage 3?
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #47
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
If I put a set of cat less down pipes, would the stage 2 compensate for it and turn off the CEL? The r is Dinah coming out with a set of DP and a stage 3?
Dinan will not bypass the cel or release a downpipe for emission reasons. Under 800 engine hp the factory cats aren't going to cost more than 15ish hp anyway. Mainly a sound mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #48
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Dinan will not bypass the cel or release a downpipe for emission reasons. Under 800 engine hp the factory cats aren't going to cost more than 15ish hp anyway. Mainly a sound mod.
Ok cool. Reason I asked is because I remember on the e9x M3 platform, Dinan came up with cat less x-pipe with software for it. But if it doesn't make any huge changes, then I won't waste my $$$$ on DP.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #49
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF80 View Post
Here are some real world photos!
So how does the car feel and sound with the intake? Notice any change?

Alan
      01-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #50
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
Can any US owners of the Dinan tune give their opinion on the warranty coverage provided with it? Have you had to get any service done under it and was it easy to get done, or did they try to weasel out of it? How does it play with extended warranties? All that good stuff.

This intake + stage 2 is really tempting, but I fear the potential warranty related issues.
Anecdotally, over the years I've heard that DINAN, along with the selling/installing dealership, stand behind their warranty (wouldn't recommend buying from an unaffiliated third-party for this reason). I've also heard that DINAN cars aren't CPO eligible.

Clearly a less risky proposition than strapping on a JB4, but not without risk.

Separately... I must be getting old. I haven't once wished for more power. Can barely stretch the legs on this thing as it sits.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #51
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I've seen videos on the Dinan site that shows different sound between stock and the Dinan exhaust. Also between open exhaust valve and closed valve. How do you do that manually?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #52
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Anecdotally, over the years I've heard that DINAN, along with the selling/installing dealership, stand behind their warranty (wouldn't recommend buying from an unaffiliated third-party for this reason). I've also heard that DINAN cars aren't CPO eligible.

Separately... I must be getting old. I haven't once wished for more power. Can barely stretch the legs on this thing as it sits.
I turned in my 2010 335xi BMW off lease, had a piggyback tune on it, I was too lazy to remove. Dealership didn't find it (it wasn't hidden) and CPO'd the car. I happened to run across the new owner of the car, and checked and the tune was still there.

So just saying, I see no comfort in buying a CPO car over a normal used car.

Also, in terms of the warranty, it depends which dealer you go to, but BMW doesn't warranty the DINAN parts, DINAN will copy BMW's warranty if a part fails due to the DINAN part. Please correct me if this is inaccurate, but that is what I have read/researched. Sometimes the dealer will be cool and fix the issue, sometimes not, and then DINAN will step in and correct the problem
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #53
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post

I turned in my 2010 335xi BMW off lease, had a piggyback tune on it, I was too lazy to remove. Dealership didn't find it (it wasn't hidden) and CPO'd the car. I happened to run across the new owner of the car, and checked and the tune was still there.

So just saying, I see no comfort in buying a CPO car over a normal used car.

Also, in terms of the warranty, it depends which dealer you go to, but BMW doesn't warranty the DINAN parts, DINAN will copy BMW's warranty if a part fails due to the DINAN part. Please correct me if this is inaccurate, but that is what I have read/researched. Sometimes the dealer will be cool and fix the issue, sometimes not, and then DINAN will step in and correct the problem
If a repair claim is denied by BMW based on the presence of a DINAN product, DINAN should step in and pay for the repair ("should" being the key word). It would be on a claim by claim basis, not a wholesale replacement of "warranty".

A benefit of buying a DINAN product from your selling dealer is that you're less likely to be caught between BMW NA and DINAN in the event that both view the other as responsible for the repair.

(I don't own any DINAN products, but gave a good think to going DINAN S3 on my 1M).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #54
Dan725
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M (F85)

Dinan, I'm a big fan. I appreciate the level of engineering and testing done prior to public release. I currently have your exhaust and S1 on my F85 installed through BMW Excluservice. I understand most of what you said in your post, but can you discuss how the sound improves? Like most, I wish the exhaust was a bit more aggressive, but as an early 40's business professional, I don't want to rattle the boss' windows either.
I've already placed my order for S2 and the CAI with Stefan at BMW Excluservice, he should be ordering tomorrow if he hadn't last week.
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #55
MGF80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
So how does the car feel and sound with the intake? Notice any change?

Alan

The truck feels great. It is not mine so I do not drive it everyday. The intake is noisier but nothing totally different then the factory intake configuration. Dinan always designs their intakes with sealed boxes which is why you don't get a ton of induction noise. As for the fit and fitment everything is great. The carbon cover is aesthetically pleasing under the hood as well. In my opinion the truck had a ton of power with the stage 1 to begin with. So much so its better to just let the truck shift for you since the rpm climbs so fast in first gear. I did not really notice a huge low end difference but I can say the top end is never ending.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #56
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Ok cool. Reason I asked is because I remember on the e9x M3 platform, Dinan came up with cat less x-pipe with software for it. But if it doesn't make any huge changes, then I won't waste my $$$$ on DP.
What onfireX5 said. =)

The E9x M3 midpipe (removed secondary CATs) was the last emissions illegal piece we ever did and was removed from the catalog about 2 years ago when simply stating "for off-road use" didnt cut it anymore. Was a sad time but alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
Dinan, I'm a big fan. I appreciate the level of engineering and testing done prior to public release. I currently have your exhaust and S1 on my F85 installed through BMW Excluservice. I understand most of what you said in your post, but can you discuss how the sound improves? Like most, I wish the exhaust was a bit more aggressive, but as an early 40's business professional, I don't want to rattle the boss' windows either.
I've already placed my order for S2 and the CAI with Stefan at BMW Excluservice, he should be ordering tomorrow if he hadn't last week.
The intake increases the sound as the increased amount of air flowing through the system creates more induction noise. Nothing like an open air intake will give you by a long shot (the big whoosh) but you do still get a bit of extra sound from the engine compartment.

Stephane is great. Really can't go wrong dealing with him and the BMW Excluservice guys.

Quote:
The truck feels great. It is not mine so I do not drive it everyday. The intake is noisier but nothing totally different then the factory intake configuration. Dinan always designs their intakes with sealed boxes which is why you don't get a ton of induction noise. As for the fit and fitment everything is great. The carbon cover is aesthetically pleasing under the hood as well. In my opinion the truck had a ton of power with the stage 1 to begin with. So much so its better to just let the truck shift for you since the rpm climbs so fast in first gear. I did not really notice a huge low end difference but I can say the top end is never ending.
Even stock the X5M is an animal. Everything added just makes it more and more special.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #57
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
What onfireX5 said. =)

The E9x M3 midpipe (removed secondary CATs) was the last emissions illegal piece we ever did and was removed from the catalog about 2 years ago when simply stating "for off-road use" didnt cut it anymore. Was a sad time but alas.

The intake increases the sound as the increased amount of air flowing through the system creates more induction noise. Nothing like an open air intake will give you by a long shot (the big whoosh) but you do still get a bit of extra sound from the engine compartment.

Stephane is great. Really can't go wrong dealing with him and the BMW Excluservice guys.

Even stock the X5M is an animal. Everything added just makes it more and more special.
Thank you for the response. I've seen videos of the Dinan exhaust on the Dinan site and I noticed that the exhaust valve was opened and closed which it looked like it was manually? Do you get to do that with the Dinantronic?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #58
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the response. I've seen videos of the Dinan exhaust on the Dinan site and I noticed that the exhaust valve was opened and closed which it looked like it was manually? Do you get to do that with the Dinantronic?
No that was done just using the M modes. Forgot how it was setup on that particular car at this point but I believe M1 opens the valves and turns off all the traction control from the factory if memory serves.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #59
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
No that was done just using the M modes. Forgot how it was setup on that particular car at this point but I believe M1 opens the valves and turns off all the traction control from the factory if memory serves.
Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #60
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Complete waste of money lol. Yes the hardware they make is nice, but nowhere worth what they charge.

And many tuners can hit 700hp just on a stage 1 flash tune without bolt-ons. I don't know why ppl throw away their money at Dinan
I really don't know why people like you feel the need to come in just to bash on Dinan. Clearly if you are in these forums you are aware of what other tuners can do with different platforms. It's easy to extract a ton of power from these cars without placing a warranty behind it. People choose different tunes for different reasons and I don't know people just can't grasp that simple concept. Thanks for your input though!
Cause free speech? Lol

And I've been on the forums for years and never seen anyone complain about an engine blow up because of a tuner.....so warranty is great, but overpriced IMHO, that's all
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #61
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Cause free speech? Lol

And I've been on the forums for years and never seen anyone complain about an engine blow up because of a tuner.....so warranty is great, but overpriced IMHO, that's all
Wrong! I've spoken with a friend at BMW and guys mess up their engines all the time with outside tuners, and come back in crying for warranty repairs. F that, better safe than sorry. But to each his own.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52262.00
      01-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #62
Dan725
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
Wrong! I've spoken with a friend at BMW and guys mess up their engines all the time with outside tuners, and come back in crying for warranty repairs. F that, better safe than sorry. But to each his own.
Vince, exactly! I have heard the same thing. While Dinan introduces an additional layer of scrutiny before BMW or Dinan will pay for warranty repairs...it is covered.
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #63
TheQ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cars

DINAN: when do you think you will be shipping more out?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #64
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
DINAN: when do you think you will be shipping more out?
Batches ship out every wednesday/thursday (depending on when the CF lids come in on Wednesday). Backorder at this point is till the end of February though if not a little beyond. Reception, as expected has been good and demand plentiful.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #65
TheQ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cars

awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #66
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Guys, I have ONE intake available to ship tomorrow due to a customer cancellation. These are currently back ordered until the end of February. PM or email if interested!
Appreciate 0