BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #45
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
well, in that case go for it, I would use oe parts, however. Stock vehicles retain their value much better then modified, and as you said, those parts are available now
I have all of the stock parts on shelves in my garage so that if it came to it, I could return the car to stock - minus the chassis reinforcements. An e36 without chassis reinforcements is a disaster waiting to happen. All of my performance mods are simple bolt-ons so going back to stock is easy. That's the best thing about the S50 engine, a few bolt-ons brings it safely from 240hp to 300hp. Whereas with the S52, you'd have to do forced induction to get that kind of power increase which kills the engine. OBD I

So at the moment I'm thinking, get it fixed. That leaves me with a repair bill of around $14,000. Then, the question is how much extra to do the rest of the car. That's a guessing game until the restoration shop can see the car. And getting them to see it is not a cheap venture, they're 100 miles away. That's going to be an expensive tow.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #46
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
I have all of the stock parts on shelves in my garage so that if it came to it, I could return the car to stock - minus the chassis reinforcements. An e36 without chassis reinforcements is a disaster waiting to happen. All of my performance mods are simple bolt-ons so going back to stock is easy. That's the best thing about the S50 engine, a few bolt-ons brings it safely from 240hp to 300hp. Whereas with the S52, you'd have to do forced induction to get that kind of power increase which kills the engine. OBD I

So at the moment I'm thinking, get it fixed. That leaves me with a repair bill of around $14,000. Then, the question is how much extra to do the rest of the car. That's a guessing game until the restoration shop can see the car. And getting them to see it is not a cheap venture, they're 100 miles away. That's going to be an expensive tow.
agreed on the reinforcement

keep us posted on the progress

consider joining AAA for your towing needs, if you have it out there
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #47
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

do tell. i've owned 7 E36 M3s throughout the years and some were modified extensively. I have yet to hear about this, even on S52s. What few bolt ons (FI not included) will bring an S50 to 300HP?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #48
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
do tell. i've owned 7 E36 M3s throughout the years and some were modified extensively. I have yet to hear about this, even on S52s. What few bolt ons (FI not included) will bring an S50 to 300HP?
S50: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ackage/?pdk=AQ

+57whp

S52: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...mance-package/

+20whp

Same mods, massive difference in power. Also take a look at the Dinan High Flow Throttle Body +8, High Flow Exhaust +9. With the S50, every little thing made big differences in power whereas on the S52, the same mods made little difference.

BMW measured the engine at 240hp crank, this puts it well over 300hp crank. Actual whp is going to be in the 260s, since it starts around 205 but then we're talking semantics of what one means when they say "hp". The point is, some simple bolt-ons for the US 95 S50 M3 brings it to the power of the Euro e36 S52 M3 which was advertised as 321hp crank.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:29 AM   #49
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

With the mods, accident, and the mileage, I highly doubt there's any money you can put into this that makes any sense in terms of "concourse" winner.

You've already won, just imagine that you bought and sold this car for $8k profit. Then you bought it back for $1k to turn it into a decent track car. You can put $10k into it and actually enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed.

Original is original. The reinforcements and mileage alone will never be worth the money put back in especially with the damages incurred. Unless you got this major sentimental value for this car but I doubt it because you wouldn't even need to ask.
      11-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #50
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Had the same. 95 Dakar S50 with TMS stage 3. Could not even stand behind it with those injectors. Man did it stink. Great raw power though. A shricked car is always memorable. Schricked my vws too. If you can fix and sell with minimal loss then do it. Just drive it some
More then sell it. Sold mine w/136k on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #51
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
S50: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ackage/?pdk=AQ

+57whp

S52: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...mance-package/

+20whp

Same mods, massive difference in power. Also take a look at the Dinan High Flow Throttle Body +8, High Flow Exhaust +9. With the S50, every little thing made big differences in power whereas on the S52, the same mods made little difference.

BMW measured the engine at 240hp crank, this puts it well over 300hp crank. Actual whp is going to be in the 260s, since it starts around 205 but then we're talking semantics of what one means when they say "hp". The point is, some simple bolt-ons for the US 95 S50 M3 brings it to the power of the Euro e36 S52 M3 which was advertised as 321hp crank.
not looking to argue with you but I doubt you will see anywhere near 57 whp from those mods on an S50. Even their website advertises 57 hp, not whp. Oh and i had a similar setup, on an S52 (factory tubular headers) with a full Supersprint setup (euro midpipe and exhaust), and and made just over 260whp on a dynojet with the schrick cams. this was a healthy motor with 113K miles.

i dont have to tell you an S50 without a full exhaust would likely be at least 15-20whp less than that, if you're lucky. those other things you mentioned will not make a significant difference (you can't just add the hp claims together, you'd be lucky to see a single digit whp increase from both combined). the S52 will make 300hp with the right mods, the S50 will hardly ever get there (sunbelt cams will get it close). that TMS package you posted alone wont do it. and short of FI, 321hp is a pipe dream on a factory S50.
Appreciate 0