BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Catless downpipe and CEL / exhaust smell

I've already done the MPPK and Race Chip on my 35i, and it's pretty quick but I'm looking for a little more.

For those that have done a catless downpipe on their 35i, do you find that there is increased exhaust smell? If so is it bothersome? I've read the check engine light may (or may not) come on at times. Has anyone found any kind of plug in module/override for this? It sounds like there's a significant power gain to be had with a catless downpipe, but I don't want to end up with a smelly car and CEL coming on.

Before anyone replies that I should have just gotten the 50i, as I mentioned in another thread I didn't do so because of the frequent repairs on my E70 50i. Perhaps that was a mistake as it sounds like the reliability has significantly improved with the N63tu, but regardless, here I am with my 35i that I'm otherwise happy with.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X3=5 View Post
I've already done the MPPK and Race Chip on my 35i, and it's pretty quick but I'm looking for a little more.

For those that have done a catless downpipe on their 35i, do you find that there is increased exhaust smell? If so is it bothersome? I've read the check engine light may (or may not) come on at times. Has anyone found any kind of plug in module/override for this? It sounds like there's a significant power gain to be had with a catless downpipe, but I don't want to end up with a smelly car and CEL coming on.

Before anyone replies that I should have just gotten the 50i, as I mentioned in another thread I didn't do so because of the frequent repairs on my E70 50i. Perhaps that was a mistake as it sounds like the reliability has significantly improved with the N63tu, but regardless, here I am with my 35i that I'm otherwise happy with.
In e90 world (same n55 engine) there was a solution to CEL, so I think there should be something to make it work with f15

AFAIK, catless downpipe is indeed a requirement for max power output - it makes turbines spool faster and they can be made to boost higher (with a proper tune that takes into account catless DPs) without fear of burning cats and engine. So there's more than one reason for DPs to be installed. However, in e90s smell was not present due to secondary cats present by default on e90 n55. Do you know if f15 35i has secondary cats?

Update: not sure, but it looks like there are no secondary cats on x5 - so probably there will be smell on idle. Maybe consider catted DPs?

Last edited by DuSh; 08-14-2017 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

There is no secondary cat on the F15/F16 X5/X6.
DuSh is right, you may want to consider Race Catted downpipe.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Thanks for the replies. But with catted DPs being about $1200 installed and not making that much power, it's really not worth it. Guess I'll just be happy as it is.
Appreciate 0