shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Shawn, is this the variable light distribution in action?
That is actually Glare Free High Beams (aka Anti Dazzle and aka Selective Beam).

The BMW Selective Beam (anti-dazzle High-Beam Assistant) automatically controls the high-beam headlights, depending on the ambient light conditions and traffic situation, ensuring excellent visibility when driving at night. The system monitors the presence of vehicles driving ahead or oncoming traffic and continuously adjusts the high-beam headlights to avoid dazzling other road users.

Variable light distribution is for the Low Beams, and it also has an anti-dazzle function:

A winding road at night: the xenon headlights adapt to the angle of the curve ahead, and the headlight beam remains on the road. To calculate the course of the road, sensors detect the cornering angle, yaw and driving speed. Adaptive headlights guarantee optimum vision on dark roads, earlier recognition of the course of the route and possible hazards. Higher speeds require the driver to look farther ahead in order to react in time – the front headlights are therefore raised. In urban traffic, they are lowered automatically and illuminate the road directly in front of the vehicle even more efficiently without any risk of dazzling the oncoming traffic.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12° horizontal from center and 0.7° lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8° horizontal from center and lowered 0.7° vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5° outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25° vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2° vertical)"

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-28-2014 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #112
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang0ver View Post
Thanks shawn.. Below is the steps from OP. Want to make sure I am doing it right. You mentioned to VO code LHM & TMS which are not mentioned in OP. Is that right?

Remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and CODE (right click the folder and select code) KAFAS2 and BDC_BODY. If you don't have the KAFAS2 folder under ECU in ESYS, that means you do not have the KAFAS camera but most likely you have the HBA stand-alone camera below your rear view mirror if you have LED Lighting Package. KAFAS2 folder is usually present in vehicles with Lane Assist Package. If this is the case, you must CODE FLA3 folder instead.
Yes, this is correct. I am adding to VO Code LHM & TMS for those with Option 552 LED headlights, as they have additional light modules that Xenon lights do not have.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #113
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Thanks for the clarification, Shawn. I'll update the OP regarding the LHM and TMS.
      09-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #114
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, this is correct. I am adding to VO Code LHM & TMS for those with Option 552 LED headlights, as they have additional light modules that Xenon lights do not have.

Got it.. Thanks shawn..

@opasha : Below is the case for LED lights as per shawn. I am just adding it down here. I will do this sometime this week or so. I will test it out after I get my tags and will let you know if they work well and you can update the OP as needed.

Remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and CODE (right click the folder and select code) LHM, TMS, KAFAS2 and BDC_BODY. If you don't have the KAFAS2 folder under ECU in ESYS, that means you do not have the KAFAS camera but most likely you have the HBA stand-alone camera below your rear view mirror if you have LED Lighting Package. KAFAS2 folder is usually present in vehicles with Lane Assist Package. If this is the case, you must CODE FLA3 folder instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #115
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Shawn. I'll update the OP regarding the LHM and TMS.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #116
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
OP updated with the accurate information. Let me know how it works on your car. I'm tempted to code the Variable Light Distribution but not sure if it's worth doing or not. It definitely seems interesting.
      09-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #117
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang0ver
@shawnsheridan & @skalberti

can you give your views about how the anti dazzle is working? I want to make sure all the situations I might see before I code it.

I think you already talked about these lot of times, but couldn't find those. If you can spot down your words here. I think if @opasha can update the OP with those comments under that, it would be helpful for people who are planning into it.
I'm also realizing that even after VO coding the ECU's. For some reason there are some things that are set to US spec instead of ECE. There's more work to be done on this. I quit using the anti dazzle in the F15 because too many people were flashing their lights at me. BMW has changed some of their coding on this feature. My F10 was different and easier to code this feature on. After getting a software update in my F10 they don't even work as they did when I originally coded this a year ago.
      09-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #118
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Are there any folks in the NYC/Long Island Area that can help me code my X5? I'd like to code for the Euro Adaptive Headlights (have Lighting Package) and remote tailgate close.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #119
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I'm also realizing that even after VO coding the ECU's. For some reason there are some things that are set to US spec instead of ECE. There's more work to be done on this. I quit using the anti dazzle in the F15 because too many people were flashing their lights at me. BMW has changed some of their coding on this feature. My F10 was different and easier to code this feature on. After getting a software update in my F10 they don't even work as they did when I originally coded this a year ago.
thanks ...

@bmwNA
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #120
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
Are there any folks in the NYC/Long Island Area that can help me code my X5? I'd like to code for the Euro Adaptive Headlights (have Lighting Package) and remote tailgate close.
octopump
TRIPLE_O
cn555ic

Found these members in that area that can do coding...If you have cable and software setup as per the steps in OP. we can help you remotely also.

But as skalberti mentioned above, the lightning package might not work as expected (europe model)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #121
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
octopump
TRIPLE_O
cn555ic

Found these members in that area that can do coding...If you have cable and software setup as per the steps in OP. we can help you remotely also.

But as skalberti mentioned above, the lightning package might not work as expected (europe model)
Thanks for the info.

I read the lighting package has the KAFAS sensor. I guess that may not be the case? So having the lighting package only will not allow for proper Active Highbeam Assist?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #122
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I read the lighting package has the KAFAS sensor. I guess that may not be the case? So having the lighting package only will not allow for proper Active Highbeam Assist?
Not sure which package has it, but I have led package and kafas .

by default in US we will get auto high beam on/off function. anti dazzle enables other euro features.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #123
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not sure which package has it, but I have led package and kafas .

by default in US we will get auto high beam on/off function. anti dazzle enables other euro features.
But it is possible to get the anti dazzle with just the LED lighting package? I was reading opasha's guide on the front page. I guess its a different folder in the coding if you don't have KAFAS.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #124
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@skalberti, @shawnsheridan, @opasha

as the anti dazzle feature is not fully functional.
  1. Can we just code variable light (8S4)?
  2. What modules need to be coded after VO coding 8S4? Is it the same LHM, TMS, KAFAS2 and BDC_BODY?
  3. If we code any modules which are not dependent on this particular FA change, will that effect anything or does it just reset the values to default and we need to recode our FDL changes again?

Last edited by Hang0ver; 09-29-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #125
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But it is possible to get the anti dazzle with just the LED lighting package? I was reading opasha's guide on the front page. I guess its a different folder in the coding if you don't have KAFAS.
anti dazzle is possible with led and xenon lights also I guess. As skalberti mentioned above, I don't think the anti dazzles are fully functional with coding yet. the steps that opasha mentioned in OP are right. But they don't give you fully functional anti dazzle lights
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #126
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
anti dazzle is possible with led and xenon lights also I guess. As skalberti mentioned above, I don't think the anti dazzles are fully functional with coding yet. the steps that opasha mentioned in OP are right. But they don't give you fully functional anti dazzle lights
Hmmm...thanks. I think I'll wait to code for Anti Dazzle until we can get a true fix for this as I only have the LED Lighting Package without the other cameras that come equipped in the Euro model.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #127
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...thanks. I think I'll wait to code for Anti Dazzle until we can get a true fix for this as I only have the LED Lighting Package without the other cameras that come equipped in the Euro model.
I am planning to atleast code the variable light as many have confirmed that they work... waiting for confirmation from gurus
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #128
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang0ver
Quote:
I am planning to atleast code the variable light as many have confirmed that they work... waiting for confirmation from gurus
Yep you can just code the VLD by removing the 8S4 and VO code KAFAS, BDC_BODY, both LHM or both TMS ECU's
      09-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #129
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Yep you can just code the VLD by removing the 8S4 and VO code KAFAS, BDC_BODY, both LHM or both TMS ECU's
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #130
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

As @skalberti said, that's all you need for the VLD coding. The only time things are reset to default values is when you VO Code a folder. So yes, all four of those folders for you will be reset to default values. Then you will have to go back in and re-code everything in the folders you VO Coded.

Last edited by opasha; 09-29-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #131
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As @skalberti said, that's all you need for the VLD coding. The only time things are reset to default values is when you VO Code a folder. So yes, all four of those folders for you will be reset to default values. Then you will have to go back in and re-code everything.
That sucks...But I like it ... Because I feel like coding
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #132
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That sucks...But I like it ... Because I feel like coding
Re-code everything meaning only in the folders that you VO Coded.