BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #67
silvercreek
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i

I am in the final days before my 535i goes into production and I want to ensure I have all the necessary hardware for TJA (5AR) in the order. I've got Driver Assistance Package and Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go.

Based on my read of the available literature, this should equip the car with the necessary hardware, right?

It seems like Parking Assist shouldn't be required, but that's the one I am least sure about.

I'll worry about the actual coding part when I get there.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #68
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I am in the final days before my 535i goes into production and I want to ensure I have all the necessary hardware for TJA (5AR) in the order. I've got Driver Assistance Package and Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go.

Based on my read of the available literature, this should equip the car with the necessary hardware, right?

It seems like Parking Assist shouldn't be required, but that's the one I am least sure about.

I'll worry about the actual coding part when I get there.
In the EU you only need DA+ with ACC and TJA is added automatically (post Dec 13).

I didn't think TJA was available for the US market, and it's unlikely to be retro fit. TJA works with different software for the ACC than standard DA+ although both use a front camera/radar, mounted in the grill. It also has a steering wheel with pressure sensors to ensure that at least 2 fingers are in contact with the wheel at all times. This works in conjunction with the Lane Departure Warning system, as it steers the car between the white lines.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 01-07-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #69
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Has anyone been delivered a car with TJA yet ?

Mine went into production the first day it was available and is still not delivered

So in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had hands-on experience ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #70
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
Has anyone been delivered a car with TJA yet ?

Mine went into production the first day it was available and is still not delivered

So in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had hands-on experience ?
With any luck I'll be able to provide you with a report next week
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #71
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Looking forward to hearing all about it. It's got to be great with the morning commute. I use distronic on my MB, but of course that doesn't have the steering. Can't wait to try it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #72
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5 30D, F15, Prod: 27.11.13

Just got my F15, 30D delivered today in Switzerland, production date was 27.11.2013 and including TJA, so looks like first production dates with TJA included as I pushed on having it on.

Really nice , but indeed only works on highways. It detects the moment you get on the highway and will activate to use it, warning that it will only work up to 40km/h.
Still need to test out fully in full traffic, so will post once in full use.

RTT on top of it is great. You always see all major roads colored in green, yellow and red, knowing where the traffic is rolling ... but of once I'm looking forward to get more in jams for the moment

BTW: not missing the active steering at all ... moves around like a charm ...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #73
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopas View Post
Just got my F15, 30D delivered today in Switzerland, production date was 27.11.2013 and including TJA, so looks like first production dates with TJA included as I pushed on having it on.

Really nice , but indeed only works on highways. It detects the moment you get on the highway and will activate to use it, warning that it will only work up to 40km/h.

RTT on top of it is great. You always see all major roads colored in green, yellow and red, knowing where the traffic is rolling ... but of once I'm looking forward to get more in jams for the moment

Congrats!! Please post pics..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #74
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:

Congrats 1st post and 1st to report TJA. Good that Bmw delivered as promised in terms of timing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #75
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas View Post
Congrats!! Please post pics..
Will provide pix over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #76
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep

Here we got about the first experience in some traffic jam with TJA on.
First I have RTT on, so you see immediately where the traffice is flowing and where not. Note it tells me the delays in minutes. For me this is new, so really nice and very accurate!

Then to turn it on use the smaller button on the bottom right.

if not on the high ways you will get the message that it will only work on the highways (or Autobahn).
here in German, circled:

So get on the Autobahn, here we go, it will activate warning it will work only for speed up to 40 km/h:

Now hope for a jam, where you go below 40km/h, now fun starts:
1) Set your cruise control to whatever speed (can be 120km/h), if the TJA was activated it will automatically pop in, once your car slowls you down automatically to below 40 (or whatever the car is driving in front of you).
once you are below 40km/h the steering pops in too, showing up with the little steering symbol between the lines ... so now just keep your hands on the steering wheels, otherwise you get the warning on the HUD and also in the control panel ... now enjoy the traffic jam and relax, it works like a charm.

I did not get into a full stop jam yet, to see what happens when you stop ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Dopas; 01-24-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:36 AM   #77
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep

Great write up and pics Dopas. Thanks.
Do you need to turn TJA each time you start the car or does it remember the last setting?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #78
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Great post thanks! With the RTTI, does it use the updated traffic info to offer the best possible alternative route e.g. Route1 takes 20mins+10 min delay total 30 mins, route 2 takes 25 mins+6 mins delay, Route3 takes 28 mins no delays, so in this scenario it should select Route 3. Tomtom with hd traffic works like that and is excellent.

How does the TJA know if it's on a motorway? Maybe uses the satnav map data?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #79
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I wanted tja on my configuration but it is not compatible with active steering, which automatically comes with m sport package in France. I ll still get ACC+ and everything else, so maybe later that feature could be activated with an update when they manage to get it work with active steering ?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #80
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4termelon View Post
I wanted tja on my configuration but it is not compatible with active steering, which automatically comes with m sport package in France. I ll still get ACC+ and everything else, so maybe later that feature could be activated with an update when they manage to get it work with active steering ?
With TJA there is a different sterling wheel with sensors to make sure you are holding it so I don't think this will just a software update to activate.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #81
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I don't think the steering wheel itself is different, because it would be too complicated for Bmw to maintain 2 versions of each model (base, sport, M which I ll have) , I think it is just "disabled" but hardware is here. I ll check on Bmw etk though.

Edit: I checked on etk and yes you re right the steering wheel has different part number, + there is an additional "HOD" electronic device in it. Would be curious to know what would happen if we retrofit theses components and reactivate the functionality in the car ^^
Anyway I can deal without this functionality in traffic jam, because we need to keep both hands on the steering wheel which means I cannot play with my iPhone or go on this forum while stuck in traffic jam

Last edited by w4termelon; 01-25-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #82
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
Great write up and pics Dopas. Thanks.
Do you need to turn TJA each time you start the car or does it remember the last setting?
You need to turn it on each time, just like you need to turn on ACC/cruise Control each the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #83
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Great post thanks! With the RTTI, does it use the updated traffic info to offer the best possible alternative route e.g. Route1 takes 20mins+10 min delay total 30 mins, route 2 takes 25 mins+6 mins delay, Route3 takes 28 mins no delays, so in this scenario it should select Route 3. Tomtom with hd traffic works like that and is excellent.

How does the TJA know if it's on a motorway? Maybe uses the satnav map data?

RTTI uses the moving object information, meaning each BMW wit RTTI, but also some trucks and taxis. So it's very accurate, updated every three minute, using the speeds of the cars on the streets.
For re-routing it will use all its available information as it also gets RTTI for non-highways, so also major streets specifically in cities. So it tries to route you optimally, using all available traffic info.

TJA knows you're on a highway through your GPS position.

Last edited by Dopas; 01-27-2014 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #84
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

This may sound like sour grapes, because I'm in the USA and may not see this kind of stuff for years here, but what good does it do to have the car help you with steering if you have to keep both hands on the wheel? Or can you get away with one hand (for periods of time)?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #85
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

My dealer said one hand should do but basically you're right. Thankfully there is no retina scan so you can at least close your eyes and have a nap ;-).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:50 AM   #86
Dopas
Switzerland
Rep

One hand works for me. Who claims two hands?
See also: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

BTW, at a full stop you need to do some action to get it going again. Push Gas, or Press resume ....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #87
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
One hand works for me. Who claims two hands?
See also: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

BTW, at a full stop you need to do some action to get it going again. Push Gas, or Press resume ....
Now You lost me. How is the need To Press a pedal different from Normal Stop and Go acc? It keeps the distance To the Car in Front and Stops When it stops. Then You need To accelerate or resume, atleast thats How My Porsche works. DA is Now Standard equipment and I Would save 900euros by cancelling DA+ and adding Stop and Go acc. TJA is all I Would lose. Sounds Like Something not worth the money. I Would appreciate someone explaining TJA vs Normal Stop and Go acc. Does it steer automatically? Is that it?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #88
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Does it steer automatically? Is that it?
Yes!
Appreciate 0