BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
almuhairi
E70 LCI X5
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Lci E70 50i 2011 White alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis91 View Post
Car will be equipped with auto start-stop function, look at this space for button. Left from start-stop button.
exactly , but from my opinion the head light will not be the same of the X6

there is no big deference between them
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
Denis91
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by almuhairi View Post

you mean not the same shape or they structure, I mean X6 will receive full LED, but X5 will has xenon again?
I really hope that X5 will receive full led tail lights
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
It is good to see that at least the next gen X5 has escaped the butcher's cleaver for the horrific cut-line that has besmirched every other model. Looks like this hood line will be very similar to the current X3.
You are a cunning linguist, LEDZEP!
      02-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by almuhairi View Post

I don't think we can draw too much from these test mules. I would be very surprised if LEDs are not a option. LEDs offer improved performance and less power draw. Look for them to be made available across the model range in time.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
hekki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bentayga, GT3 RS

SCOTT26, what changes will x3 have with facelift? Will X3 have full LED headlights?. I assume that only more luxurious BMWs have LED headlights, i guess that's why3. series didn't get those
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
SuBMWaru
Rep
Drives: Subarus and BMWs

Oh no. I hope they aren't following Audis conservativeness. That's what set the X series apart! Anyway, it's probably going to be great. Will be great.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
Relapse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

id be happy if the free floating screen is placed as it is in the new 6 series. seems out of place in the new 3 series to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
almuhairi
E70 LCI X5
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Lci E70 50i 2011 White alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis91 View Post
you mean not the same shape or they structure, I mean X6 will receive full LED, but X5 will has xenon again?
I really hope that X5 will receive full led tail lights

X5 will has xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
AUSSIE44
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Unhappy Navigation nightmare for sunny climates

The problem with pop up navigation systems like the new one proposed is that there is so much glare you cant see the map in sunny climates. I live in Phoenix arizona usa and with direct sunlight overhead I can not see the map in my 05 x5. It was a great improvement in the latest BMW's with the indented screens and they work GREAT... Now they are going to the pop up types and they just DON'T work in sunlight!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
Relapse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIE44 View Post
The problem with pop up navigation systems like the new one proposed is that there is so much glare you cant see the map in sunny climates. I live in Phoenix arizona usa and with direct sunlight overhead I can not see the map in my 05 x5. It was a great improvement in the latest BMW's with the indented screens and they work GREAT... Now they are going to the pop up types and they just DON'T work in sunlight!!!
read about the new 6 series screen. it is made so that the light from the sun doesnt cause glare. im guessing this is the same with the 3 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #33
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The screen angle in the 05 was terrible.

Also back in 05 lcd screen technology was awful suffering from reflection. Screen technology has vastly improved and that's why BMW no longer need to "hide" the screen in the dash or cowl.

Oh and the screen also doesn't move up and down. It's fixed. Or at least is in the new 3.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
AUSSIE44
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Take a close look at the photo of the nav screen above... see all of the reflections? This dose not look like it the glare is fixed to me. I would agree that some of the new OLED screens are better in the Sun but so far I have not seen any screens that work well with direct sunlight overhead. I was in a MB that had a pop up screen and was very hard to see in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Take a close look at the photo of the nav screen above... see all of the reflections? This dose not look like it the glare is fixed to me. I would agree that some of the new OLED screens are better in the Sun but so far I have not seen any screens that work well with direct sunlight overhead. I was in a MB that had a pop up screen and was very hard to see in the sun.
Last time I checked I wasnt driving or operating idrive from outside the car. .... In other words that viewing angle would be impossible in normal operation.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #36
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relapse View Post
read about the new 6 series screen. it is made so that the light from the sun doesnt cause glare. im guessing this is the same with the 3 series as well.
Concur.

My 12 X5 screen is flush with the dash (no visor) and there is no glare even with the roof fully open in direct sun. My 09 M3 has the idrive screen with the visor and honestly I do not like it as much from a functional or design perspective.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #37
CWK
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Has everyone lost thier marbles?? this move from a beautiful flowing and wholly integrated dash to one that has a TV sitting in the middle of the dash is ridiculous. I took a 6 for a test drive. When I got in the car I told the sales rep he could "drop the screen." Thats when I was first told that the stupid screen sitting like a wart on the dash and in plain view would not retract.

What a great car. But what a stupid idea not to have that silly screen retract. Now they are doing the same thing to the X5 and others in their line up. Its gross. I thought the new ML's interior sucked because of all the brightwork. But at least they dont put a big lump of coal in the middle of the dash that i have to stare at.

When are these guys going to get this message. At he Tor car show the sales guys told me EVERYONE is complaining about the botched 6 and 3 series dashboards.

So I guess its a range rover to get the groceries. And yes i passed on the 6 too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #38
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWK View Post
Has everyone lost thier marbles?? this move from a beautiful flowing and wholly integrated dash to one that has a TV sitting in the middle of the dash is ridiculous. I took a 6 for a test drive. When I got in the car I told the sales rep he could "drop the screen." Thats when I was first told that the stupid screen sitting like a wart on the dash and in plain view would not retract.

What a great car. But what a stupid idea not to have that silly screen retract. Now they are doing the same thing to the X5 and others in their line up. Its gross. I thought the new ML's interior sucked because of all the brightwork. But at least they dont put a big lump of coal in the middle of the dash that i have to stare at.

When are these guys going to get this message. At he Tor car show the sales guys told me EVERYONE is complaining about the botched 6 and 3 series dashboards.

So I guess its a range rover to get the groceries. And yes i passed on the 6 too.
I am not a fan of the pop up/retractable screens either. IMHO, they come off as after market modded stereo systems that were all the rage back in the early/mid 2000's. I prefer a fixed screen because it seems classier, less cumbersum and ultimately, it looks like it is meant to be there, and NOT an add on from Circiut City..... remember them...?

Just my 2 cents
      03-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #39
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWK View Post

I do have to admit, I saw a gorgeous 6 convertible in the showroom. Looking at it from the rear, all I could think was - that screen is absurdly large.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #40
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Like the 2012 3 and 6 series, they're NOT pop up screens. It's stationary.

When I was looking at the new 6 series, I commented how "after market" the screen looked. The BMW guys at the dealership told me BMW is paving the path for the futher. Soon, they will not ship with screens at all, but that's a slot for an iPAD docking cradle.

Take a closer look next time you see a 2012 3 and 6 series. It all makes sense, perfect measurement for an iPAD dock. Everyone should have an iPAD in their home by 2015, especially with 4-core processor and Retina Display in the iPAD 3s (hopefully glare free).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #41
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Like the 2012 3 and 6 series, they're NOT pop up screens. It's stationary.

When I was looking at the new 6 series, I commented how "after market" the screen looked. The BMW guys at the dealership told me BMW is paving the path for the futher. Soon, they will not ship with screens at all, but that's a slot for an iPAD docking cradle.

Take a closer look next time you see a 2012 3 and 6 series. It all makes sense, perfect measurement for an iPAD dock. Everyone should have an iPAD in their home by 2015, especially with 4-core processor and Retina Display in the iPAD 3s (hopefully glare free).
Groan. You know what they say .... Never believe sales people. In this case, that statement couldn't be more true.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #42
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Groan. You know what they say .... Never believe sales people. In this case, that statement couldn't be more true.
We'll see, just look at the new 3s and 6s interior (with navi) when you have a chance. Might be an option coming soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #43
Surfrider
Polar Bear Power > HP
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
... The BMW guys at the dealership told me BMW is paving the path for the futher. Soon, they will not ship with screens at all, but that's a slot for an iPAD docking cradle.

That is simply absurd. No manufacturer is going to sell a vehicle with no interface for 95%+ of the vehicle settings, options, nav, radio, etc. If I had a salesman pitch that to me, I would have just walked away on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #44
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrider View Post
That is simply absurd. No manufacturer is going to sell a vehicle with no interface for 95%+ of the vehicle settings, options, nav, radio, etc. If I had a salesman pitch that to me, I would have just walked away on the spot.
First off, I bought 4 cars from this dealership in the past 2 years. I know everyone from the service manager to the general manager by first name basis. This is a very credible dealership, that's why they've earned my business as long as I'm living in Kansas City. I'm a salesman myself, so you don't have to educate me on salesman tactics.

The sales team at this particular dealership is very well trained, and knows their stuff inside and out. When he says "future" plans, he doesn't mean tomorrow. It "could" be an option, to opt out the screen and have the iPAD docking station instead. Look at the new 3 series and 6 series screen closer; measure the width, and then measure your iPAD.

Think about this, a typical businessman carries an iPAD everywhere nowadays. Flown first class lately? Most of them have an iPAD out above 10,000ft. If you have an iPAD and carry it around everywhere; then why would you want to pay $2k for a low resolution navigation screen? Instead, offer an iPAD docking station with the appropriate App to interface with the car. Your music, address book, maps, etc. go with you wherever you go.

Seen a base model Toyota Camry lately? It comes standard with "Entune," which allows you to download an app to your smart phone to interface with the car (yes, the screen is also standard). Yet, you're telling me it is absurd or a pipe dream for a $60k luxury car??? I'm very optimistic about this one.

By the way, you don't need a screen to change temp, radio station, know how fast you're going, work the headlights, etc. I had a non-Navi E90 once, no screen there.
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 03-18-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0