BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
2018 MB CLA45 AMG - My Experience

Before I forget. Thanks to the CA I met Nathan. It was a complete coincidence that he happened to be a close friend to my younger cousin. I didn’t know about this until I was told about 2 hours after I left the dealership. It is a pretty small world. He let me drive the CLA45 w/o a second thought after just meeting him. The car was on a showroom floor btw. :P

This is my personal option btw so please don't start anything. I'm just going to straight up ignore it. I really have no patience for that stuff.

2018 MB CLA45 AMG
  • The car, price wise is similar to an M2. The one I posted is 57k MSRP. But Benz is sort of like Porsche where you can add things into it that balloons the cost of the car close to the base MSRP price of an M3. Which is kind of silly but you can completely avoid it since a lot of the things you add in really is optional. Only a few I would say it is more of a necessity. Even Auto Dim on the Side/Rear View mirrors are an option. This is standard on most BMWs.
  • Benz cars below the E Class do NOT have Navigation as standard. I… don’t know why MB but okay you cheap bastards. Even the CLA45 doesn’t have Navigation as standard, that is absolutely ludicrous.
  • Benz Infotainment isn't as good as BMW iDrive. It isn't absolutely terrible but it is a bit annoying to use.
  • Some Benz cars still have the drive thinggie (That is what I call it - leave me alone :P) aka shifter on the center console like I would prefer. CLA has this but C63 doesn't as it is a stock next to the steering wheel.
  • CLA45 Interior isn't as good as the C63 either. Interior wise it is a tad up from the regular CLA but honestly not by too much. I believe the CF in the car is a dry Carbon Fiber not the glossy ones in the Ms we love. Personally, a lot of the MB interior below the E-class is on par with BMW’s competitor cars. It is only because the design language in a MB makes it look better, material wise it’s roughly the same if you feel and pay close attention to it.
  • I am not a huge fan of the Infotainment as Benz also shoves in the HVAC controls in there also. That threw me off initially because I didn't know what I was looking for until I noticed like 10 seconds after fiddling around with it. The HVAC control is also very minor, being just a little bottom bar on the screen which you can easily miss if you aren’t looking for it.
  • All the reviewers whining about CLA/CLA45 being too stiff are full of crap. Yes, it isn't as comfy as the GLC I test drove too but coming from a F8x it isn't any rougher. M is most definitely stiffer. The suspension has a short travel feel in the CLA45 and thus is why it is stiff. That isn't a problem for me considering the car I am coming from. I don't see the reasons for why reviews like Car and Driver, Motor Trend always complain about that. Honestly, they do and I can sort of understand the reason? A Benz is supposed to be comfort yada yada but this is a AMG especially. Don’t complain about a harsh ride.
  • The CLA45 comes to life exhaust wise when you put it in Sport/Sport+/Race mode. That is when the car sounds extremely good. I'd say even better than a M3/M4. Coming from a person that doesn't generally take exhaust/engine noise as seriously as some other car enthusiasts.
  • CLA45 engine doesn't sound good. It isn't as terrible as a N20 328i on idle but ehhh. In Efficient/Drive/Comfort I can hear it when I was driving, with 2 other people in the car. It doesn't sound amazing like other AMG cars. The exhaust eventually overpowers this problem in Sport/Sport+/Race. However, that doesn’t erase the fact that it is an Inline 4 engine sound and not even AMG can apparently overcome this Inline 4 design wise. Just like why V8 engine always tend to sound nice, an Inline 4 will always sound a certain way.
  • You can add in aero parts to the CLA45 as a package. What you see in the photos I posted is what that is. I won't say it's ricey but it can definitely do w/o some of the canards, mainly the one that is bolted on. (You will know what I mean by looking at the photos).
    P.S. I’m apparently wrong on this btw, the facelift apparently adds the aero parts to the CLA45 as standard so you get those canards weather you like it or not.
  • The CLA45 is a Benz DCT. I don't know the specifics but it has every hint of it being a DCT. The jerkiness at low revs and low gear is prevalent. Even in Drive/Comfort/Efficient you cannot avoid this. The Benz DCT in the CLA45 is also has an automatic behavior. This is a bit different from the M-DCT where you can avoid the jerkiness and hesitation with proper throttle management. (At least you can avoid most of it.)
  • The car is heavy for its size. It is around 3,600 pounds. I originally was told close to 3,800 but the internet data shows it is about 3,600. Compared to a BMW M2 which is 200 pounds less at around 3,400.
  • CLA45 hides the weight decently well. I didn't feel it and I had a total of three people in the car. I weight barely over 100, my friend plus the CA probably is close to 300 combined (roughly I don't know). The car would be close to 4,000 pounds maybe. In Efficient/Drive/Comfort, it is a little sluggish off the line but that all vanishes in Sport/Sport+/Race Mode. The CLA45 is fast and I’m honestly quite impressed. Even in Drive, once it passes the sluggish start it gets going.
  • The car's rear seats are small. My friend is close to 6" and he told me he was a tad uncomfortable in the rear. He said he probably wouldn't be able to do long drives in the rear but the front is alright. I'm close to 5'7" and didn't have too much problems in the front. I actually didn't sit in the rear so I cannot comment on that.
    Update: Rear seating is bad for me as well. I'm 5'6" to 5'7" and my head's about to hit the ceiling in the rear. I was sitting normally as well. The legroom in the rear is also pretty bad. The CLA45/250 is definitely not made to have someone sit in the rear if they are a full grown adult. It isn't pleasant.
  • The driving feel (at least for me) is pretty tight and to the point. I like the AMG steering wheel. It felt nice when I gripped it. I can see why people like the AMG steering wheel now. It felt very nice.
  • Unlike my more and more irritated problem with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and the very obvious lack of pedal feel from the DUMB FLY BY WIRE CRAP, the CLA45 had none of this. From the short time I had with the car, I had a good pedal feedback in both the gas and brake pedal. I had a good idea of what the car was doing when I was driving. Within 5 minutes of being in the car, I had a good idea of what the car is capable of on the streets. The brakes were pretty on point without any fade street wise. I didn’t feel any dead zones from what I can recall.

All in all, I am actually surprised by the CLA45. I didn't expect to like the car but I actually do to some extent. I don't know if this will change if I ever able to get my hands on a C63 but I'm somewhat impressed to be honest. While I am not a fan of the A/C vent being that airplane thing (is what I like to call it), it could definitely be worse at the very least the look is universal. Like Alfa Romeo Giulia. (Go see interior photos of the A/C vents and come back to me.)

Could it be my 3er replacement? Maybe. Then again, I'm unsure if I want to live with another performance sedan. That being said however, this car does come within range of the price I have set for myself for my next car. (Close to it, its slightly above 50k but I’m sure I can negotiate it). If I choose to go down the performance route once again. The CLA45 and the RS3 is on the list, above that of the M2. My issue with the M2 is primarily being a 2-door coupe. I’m trying to move a bit away from the 2-door thing (that is why I’m moving to a M3).

I also drove a GLC300 and it was okay as well. Actually, if I go the more typical SUV route which is what I originally intended, GLC300 and the BMW X3 would be the two I’m going to pick. Although the GLC300 is probably the automatic and no the MB MCT that I wanted to try, it isn’t a big deal. For whatever reason, this CLA45 reminds me a lot of my 04 Jetta GLS. I know that is a very odd comparison but it is probably the size of the car which is why I’m attracted to it. I know the Audi RS3 would probably be a better fit but I haven’t gotten my hand on the RS3 so I won’t make any judgement on that.

If you can overlook the new aeros MB added to the car on the facelift recently, this can be a pretty amazing car only because I would think most of us wouldn’t think twice about this car. Everyone raves over the M2 being so much superior to the rest like the RS3 or the CLA45, this car can be very good I think. That is if you can overlook the infotainment and the small rear seats.
Attached Images

Last edited by Arcades; 10-12-2017 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7508.50
martial18.00
      10-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Can't get past the car that appears to be taller than it is wide.
      10-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Very nice review.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8163.50
      10-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for the write-up!

I am always interested to hear personal experiences with smaller high performance cars, especially practical four or five door products like the CLA45. Although I am still years away from replacing my M3, I have been contemplating what's next for awhile now. My M3 is fantastic, but for this generation it has crossed over the "small, nimble, tossable" line and I am not convinced that the next one won't be even larger still. Small AWD performance sedans like the CLA45 and RS3 are possible choices for folks who feel like I do. As you point out, the M2 is also great, and the fact that the next one will remain RWD is good news. But now that we know that there will be no M2 GC platform mate, nor any small M vehicle with more than two doors period, it all but rules out BMW. It would be very tough to give up four doors if you use them frequently like many of us do.
Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
JTO245271.50
      10-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
martial
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 BSM M3

C63s next time
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

One of the ugliest cars Mercedes has released in a while.
Appreciate 2
shay2nak1070.00
S1monQc223.50
      10-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
One of perhaps, but nothing trumps this stinkbug, rolling suppository:
Appreciate 1
shay2nak1070.00
      10-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Very nice review.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for the write-up!

I am always interested to hear personal experiences with smaller high performance cars, especially practical four or five door products like the CLA45. Although I am still years away from replacing my M3, I have been contemplating what's next for awhile now. My M3 is fantastic, but for this generation it has crossed over the "small, nimble, tossable" line and I am not convinced that the next one won't be even larger still. Small AWD performance sedans like the CLA45 and RS3 are possible choices for folks who feel like I do. As you point out, the M2 is also great, and the fact that the next one will remain RWD is good news. But now that we know that there will be no M2 GC platform mate, nor any small M vehicle with more than two doors period, it all but rules out BMW. It would be very tough to give up four doors if you use them frequently like many of us do.
Thanks mkoesel It's always nice hearing compliments from mods. Yeah my biggest and most pressing matter is the fact that the M2 is a coupe with two doors. I realized after 2 years with the M4 I just need the 4 doors. I suppose you can get away with the M2 being smaller with 2 doors but I honestly cannot even convince myself to get the M2 at this point even if I get the chance to.

RS3 and CLA45 are the two cars I have in mind for my next car if I do indeed pass on the SUV options which are the G generation X3 or the MB GLC. I wasn't overly impressed with the Audi SUV so I'm passing on that.

RS3 is most probably better in terms of rear seat because it doesn't have the CLS styling from Benz. It probably won't be as cramped but let's be honest it still is. My only and real attraction to the Benz is because of the style of it which is very ironic considering from what I can understand MB fans dislike the style too. Since it is extremely different from what you generally see from Benz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martial View Post
C63s next time
lol. I was honest to Nathan but it would definitely be more of a joy ride thing :P Next time maybe :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Look is in the eye of the beholder. I can see why Benz fans would dislike this style after facelift since it changes the car to look extremely different. If you compare to any other AMG cars out there, all of Benz AMG cars do not have this look to it. I mean almost most AMG cars do not stand out in public. They are very inconspicuous, ALL of them. CLA45 and the GLA45 are the two exceptions to this rule as they actually stand out due to the stuff Benz added in to it. It is just up to you if you like the look or not.

As my friend said here, my original goal was actually to test the C63 but my eyes gravitated towards the CLA45 sitting there instead of the C63 sitting beside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
One of perhaps, but nothing trumps this stinkbug, rolling suppository:
You be surprised how many Asian parents in my area like the big rolly polly X6 wanabe. :P
      10-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I love white with black like that, I think it's gorgeous.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Thanks mkoesel It's always nice hearing compliments from mods.
Well, I'm just another guy on the internet, but it was definitely a good read.

Quote:
RS3 and CLA45 are the two cars I have in mind for my next car if I do indeed pass on the SUV options which are the G generation X3 or the MB GLC. I wasn't overly impressed with the Audi SUV so I'm passing on that.
As far as SUV's go, how about the GLA45? It should give you an experience similar to that of the CLA45, but with a hatchback and more utility. If I had to go with an SUV today, it would definitely be on my short list of vehicles to test drive.

Quote:
Look is in the eye of the beholder. I can see why Benz fans would dislike this style after facelift since it changes the car to look extremely different.
I am not too big a fan of the styling on the current crop of Mercedes sedans to begin with, but I don't think they are ugly either. However, I would definitely say those canards on the updated CLA45 took things the wrong way. They are trying too hard.

Luckily, the next generation A Class range, including the AMG, is being extended with a new sedan model, and it is reported to be coming to the US. The A Class concept form earlier this year looks great to me, so I am optimistic the A45 sedan will also be a very good looking car.

Quote:
You be surprised how many Asian parents in my area like the big rolly polly X6 wannabe. :P
I actually like the styling of Mercedes' SUV "coupes" better than anyone else's, with the GLE63 being the best looking of all. Though, the upcoming GLC63 coupe will be even better, based on what I've seen in spy shots Edit: production shots - forgot that it was shown already .
Appreciate 1
Arcades8163.50
      10-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

I think Mercedes is firing on all cylinders right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of which, is there still no word on when we'll start getting the M256 straight six in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As far as SUV's go, how about the GLA45? It should give you an experience similar to that of the CLA45, but with a hatchback and more utility. If I had to go with an SUV today, it would definitely be on my short list of vehicles to test drive.

I am not too big a fan of the styling on the current crop of Mercedes sedans to begin with, but I don't think they are ugly either. However, I would definitely say those canards on the updated CLA45 took things the wrong way. They are trying too hard.

Luckily, the next generation A Class range, including the AMG, is being extended with a new sedan model, and it is reported to be coming to the US. The A Class concept form earlier this year looks great to me, so I am optimistic the A45 sedan will also be a very good looking car.
Yeah the two bolted on canards doesn't sit too well with me either. It can easily do w/o it and look much cleaner but since it is bolted/screwed on you sort of have to live with it other wise four very obvious holes will be there.

Funny you mentioned the GLA45 because that car completely skipped my mind until nighttime when I remembered the CLA45 has a sister in the GLA45. If the GLA45 doesn't have the weird ugly wing in the back, I'd consider that car but the CLA45 attracts me more tbh. I know the CA now so I can easily contact him to see if they have any so I can see it in person. I know the GLA45 is also 1 grand cheaper MSRP wise so that is also kind of attractive. Although... not a fan of the rear end of the car.

Although the dealership I was at, all of their AMGs are at the same place. Me not seeing a GLA45 might mean they don't actually have one there but I could be wrong. I'll check since I'm curious too.

Quote:
I sort of agree. They are expanding their AMG line-ups a bit more which is good and bad. Good is, people like me I don't mind getting an AMG like a CLA45. Bad is, fanboys dislike MB doing the BMW thing too with putting M badge on everything.
      10-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

In my mind's eye, the mid level AMGs don't have engines built in Affalterbach, so they're no more AMGs than the clown in my neighborhood with an AMG badge stuck on his CLS550.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #15
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

It may just be the angle of the photo but that front end is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of which, is there still no word on when we'll start getting the M256 straight six in the US?
Maybe next year for the next gen CLS.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
It may just be the angle of the photo but that front end is terrible.
Yeah the photo is a bit weird on the front end but it looks fine in person.

I just dislike the canards attaches after. Everything else is okay.
      10-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #18
///MPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
In my mind's eye, the mid level AMGs don't have engines built in Affalterbach, so they're no more AMGs than the clown in my neighborhood with an AMG badge stuck on his CLS550.
Its a hand built engine??
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPE View Post
Quote:
https://gearpatrol.com/2016/11/08/me...r-photo-essay/
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Sadly I currently cannot get my hands on a GLA45. I don't know when I can actually which sort of sucks because I wanted to see how the rear seats in the back happens to be.

Quote:
I do not believe the CLA45 Inline 4 is hand built. From what I know from looking around only the C63 and the AMG GT are hand built.
      10-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Correct, and I believe the SLC's motor too.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
///MPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Sadly I currently cannot get my hands on a GLA45. I don't know when I can actually which sort of sucks because I wanted to see how the rear seats in the back happens to be.

Quote:
I do not believe the CLA45 Inline 4 is hand built. From what I know from looking around only the C63 and the AMG GT are hand built.
All 45, 63, 65 AMGS have Hand Built Motors, Only Cars That Dont Have Hand Built Motors Are The 43 Models.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1