BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

ACC - is it a worthwhile option?

Can anyone who has ACC comment on its usefulness. I was thinking of adding that to my build, but want to hear from those who already have it. I frequently drive on freeway in moderate to heavy traffic and I thought it would be good for me
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

LED, Low beam, ACC, adaptive cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
Can anyone who has ACC comment on its usefulness. I was thinking of adding that to my build, but want to hear from those who already have it. I frequently drive on freeway in moderate to heavy traffic and I thought it would be good for me
This is my second car with ACC. My first is an r500 '08. I would never buy another car without ACC. Because:
  • ACC makes cruise usable in busy freeways and very few people these day live in places where you can really use cruise. I will try to upload a video and edit this post later as I recently took a video of ACC in action (at slow speed), (pardon The Stranglers playing Always the Sun in the background), so come back to this post and look for it later. I play around with the speed setting in the video.
  • Even my older ACC has worked flawlessly. I don't have doubt in the system, but it take a while to build confience with it.
  • In addition to ACC the system comes with driver assist features for frontal collision and will stop the car completely even when cruise is not on, if you take your eyes off by mistake. This will never happen with ACC: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=1

The older Merc ACC has smoother speed adjustment, but the BMW is still very good.

Video is night time, so you can see LED low beams on the highway as well. I can't recommend them to everyone as the high beam is not stellar in my view. For me, the fact that low beams are superb, is good enough.

Last edited by MattBianco; 11-04-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

This is my first vehicle with ACC and I highly recommend it. The video posted by MattBianco pretty much shows what it can do. It makes driving in heavy traffic much more relaxing. I don't think I would have a car without ACC now that I've had the experience.

It was money well spent IMHO!

Also, MattBianco, cool tune with the vid!

Last edited by HansRobert; 11-04-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
iamthestig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

It is truly one of my one favorite features of the car. I use it all the time. Even in city traffic. It's great when dealing with drivers that can't seem to hold any kind of a consistent speed. Eliminates a lot of frustration.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

It's one of my favorite options and works very well. I don't think I've heard one person say they didn't like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Matt, great video.
If this was NY, you would never be able to move with all that gap between you and the white car in front of you, people would keep cutting in, especially that right lane would have already switched to your lane!
      11-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Matt, great video.
If this was NY, you would never be able to move with all that gap between you and the white car in front of you, people would keep cutting in, especially that right lane would have already switched to your lane!
LOL. Here we exchange pleasantries and that causes traffic delay. (joke ends).

To @wjbender, I had the distance setting at maximum (three bars in HUD), default, and that controls the distance between you and the car you are tailing. I could reduce that gap somewhat.

Some people have coded to reduce it even more as the system is capable of handling a shorter gap that may not feel comfortable to some drivers.
      11-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwitt View Post
It's one of my favorite options and works very well. I don't think I've heard one person say they didn't like it.
There are quite a few people who don't like it as much as they thought they would, including myself.

I would never get it again because I never use it. You have to have confidence that the tech will not malfunction otherwise you will rear end the car in front. If you look at the manual and the warnings/limitations it becomes sobering as to what this tech can and cannot be expected to do.

When in use, I spend so much energy and focus to make sure that it is working properly that I cannot relax and enjoy the tech. It is just easier to let my own body control the car. However there are many who love the option and even use it in instances that are not endorsed by BMW (see the manual/warnings).

You also have to watch yourself about over-relying on the tech because if no one is in front of you and you approach a red light you better snap yourself out of the day dreaming otherwise you'll blow right through the red. Some people have an easier time with confidence in the tech without constant monitoring that it is stopping the car making you a nervous wreck for the sake of using ACC because it is there and paid for. And some people have an easier time being aware enough, even after being a cool cucumber allowing ACC to do its thing, to realize which situation needs your attention.

Personally, my mind and body can relax while driving with normal, manual braking. I just can't relax with ACC and if I did I might lull myself into blowing through the red light.

Last edited by Snow-Kidney; 11-04-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Video did a better job of explaining this function to the wife.

Niko, I need your playlist! I can trade whatever you want, kids, wine, anything you want!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

ACC, only used it once, within the 1st month of ownership. Worked well with, the setting at 3 car lengths. I has dumfounded when a car ahead of me sharply cut in front of me. Natural reaction was to break immediately, trusting me allowed the system do its magic and it did, to my relief. Felt really odd, as on a car without ACC you would immediately hit the brakes. So I can attest that the system worked for me.
Note: BMW will not accept liability for this system and if the sensors malfunction then my insurance would likely increase.

So to add further to this post, has anyone had a close call and trusted the system without manual intervention ( Like I did, maybe I was silly to do so)? To me that is the most important, otherwise ACC is antiquated, despite new.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I ordered ACC but do not have the car in my possession yet. I don't think that I would rely on the system to do the avoidance for me in a 'cutting off' or rear-ending situation when I see it myself. What I want it for is to help me with the avoidance when I don't see it myself (because I'm looking at the iDrive, trees, an accident next to me, slapping a phone out of my son's hand...whatever).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: M2

I think you should get it. ACC is best suited for your type of commute.

The main disadvantage of ACC is that you can't turn the "active" part off(at least on my car).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@wjbender, from the survey in my signature line, with 82 response in total and 80 for ACC:
      11-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
@wjbender, from the survey in my signature line, with 82 response in total and 80 for ACC:

So, do you agree that speed adjustment is not smooth?
      11-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
So, do you agree that speed adjustment is not smooth?
I do. One of those responses is me. My Merc does a better job of minor speed adjustments.

I have not complete the survey for my second F15. Am waiting for more miles. It may add another vote for "not smooth".

As mentioned before though, I won't buy cars that don't have ACC (for cruise aspect not collision avoidance as I a not sure other manufacturer's installation of this tech does the collision braking).

Unit ACC came along, cruise had been useless since the mid 80s when there were still a few freeways left without traffic.
      11-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Until ACC came along, cruise had been useless since the mid 80s when there were still a few freeways left without traffic.
I'm hoping that ACC will help me be willing to drive from Austin to San Antonio closer to rush hour. I currently find it way too stressful to leave between 2pm and 7pm; I just don't like to get there and and already be angry. After 2pm makes me hit San Antonio's rush 'really long time' and before 7pm makes me hit Austin's rush 2.5-hours. It would be awesome if I could compress that window to 3:30-6pm.

In case you can't tell, I'm not a traffic lover (is anyone?). I have a case of traffic-avoidance so extreme that I only live 2mi from work. Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
LOL. Here we exchange pleasantries and that causes traffic delay. (joke ends).

To @wjbender, I had the distance setting at maximum (three bars in HUD), default, and that controls the distance between you and the car you are tailing. I could reduce that gap somewhat.

Some people have coded to reduce it even more as the system is capable of handling a shorter gap that may not feel comfortable to some drivers.
Thanks so much for the feedback - I am sold on it
Appreciate 0