BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
tubbyc
Rep
Drives: mazda3

whose car is this?

the ebay seller who sold me an ill fitting replica M performance front spoiler (yes I know, I should just buy the real thing.. lesson learnt) told me that it is one of his customer

just out of my curiosity if it is actually true, or that is a genuine front spoiler, it fits so nicely
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Not my car, but the splitter pictured is not a genuine part. It bulges too much where it wraps around the outer edge of the bumper. In that picture, it even looks like the passenger side edge is not flush with the lower, outside edge of the bumper. You can see on mine how smooth and tucked in the edges are.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rotzy; 11-10-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      11-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 40i

Definitely a replica.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Fake parts... Break hearts.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I learned this when I was a teenager modifying Hondas/Acuras.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      11-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
When we had our Infiniti G37 so many guys on the forum would buy eBay "OEM Like" crap spoilers and wonder why they didn't fit or the color didn't match. I never understood buying an expensive vehicle then cheaping out on parts/upgrades, etc.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      11-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Devtec View Post
I learned this when I was a teenager modifying Hondas/Acuras.
Did you also learn speed kills so you should drive a Honda and live forever?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I may be in a minority, but I don't see a problem buying a aftermarket part if it's a non critical one - I mean not related to safety or performance. For example I bought mirror caps Carbon Fiber non oem and they look exactly like oem ones, I looked at them at bmw dealer and couldn't find difference. They fit like a glove, but needless to say I saved $600 lol. The key here is to know which non oem part is a good fitment and good quality - you can't just buy anything on ebay and assume it fits like glove and you can't believe seller either. You need to research and preferably see that part installed by forum member etc - then it's safe. Op chose a poor part, but that doesn't mean all non oem parts are like that
I would rather have non oem CF mirror caps and put that saved money to do shorter oil change intervals and prolong life of my 50i rather than follow BMW 1 year oil change policy and sport oem mirror caps. I mean when my engine craps on me after warranty is over - oem mirror caps won't save me. It's just my point of view. YMMV lol. And yes, I am assuming I don't have infinite amount of money - otherwise I would be driving Porsche Cayenne Turbo S at the very least or Bentley Bentayga SUV instead of x5 lol - so I don't buy this "you bought expensive SAV and why save on parts" policy. x5 is expensive, but not even close to really expensive cars, so yes, money is of essense and IMHO it's silly to say "why save on parts". I'm betting neither you or me or any other owner here are a Trump or Bill Gates - unlike them we are limited still (tho even they try to save money whenever they can)
It's all just my opinion, not intended to offend anyone

P.S. Another example when BMW recommended parts are not ideal is RunFlat tires. I personally will never ever install them. I always buy NonRunFlat tires that perform much better than what BMW provides or recommends. So IMHO it's good to have your own head so to speak and not blindly listen to BMW. We all know that BMW often does things to comply with silly emission rules or for marketing reasons. Moreover, if we research deeper - lots of examples when aftermarket parts are the better solution and more reliable (infamous oem bmw plastic intakes that used to crack easily - every enthusiast owner replaced them with a much better quality aftermarket ones, such examples are abundant)

Last edited by DuSh; 11-11-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
Did you also learn speed kills so you should drive a Honda and live forever?
Lol...pretty much. Having an ITR as a junior in high school wasn't too shabby, though.
Appreciate 0