BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

Hamann exhaust for M50d

Has anyone had this fitted to the M50d??
I am really curious as to what the sound change would be like considering its a diesel six with 3 turbos. Can it be that much better than original (which is too quiet and tractor-like for my liking)?
Been quoted over $4000 for it here in Sweden but none of the dealers have soundfiles or videos. Haven´t been able to get a response from Hamann themselves in Germany either, despite being a previous customer. They prefer customers to go through their dealers.
Bit to pricey to take a chance I think.

http://www.hamann-motorsport.com/en/...29115f4ce0184f
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 04:06 AM   #2
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
The sound you hear inside the cab of the M50d is not the actual exhaust sound that is heard outside, its piped thru a speaker system, that rumble is artificial? Changing the exhaust will do nothing on a M50d.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I know the sound inside is fake. I´m talking about outside sound.
So you´re saying that changing exhaust will change nothing? I find that hard to believe. As long as air is coming out the back the sound of it can be altered. Question is how much.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The problem lies in the two pipes entering the muffler, yes the new muffler may allow a little more air flow but the diesel sound remains because its the turbo and the pipes attached to the turbo that gives the current sound or lack of it?.

Take the new California T turbo'd V8, it has 8 turned length pipes, they spent a fortune to get the sound right, all you are doing is changing the rear muffler on the rear of the X5, it will always sound like a muffled diesel and made even worst with the added turbo.

Save your money, the last thing you want to do is add a bad drone to the system and that noise override the fake engine noise created by BMW.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
The problem lies in the two pipes entering the muffler, yes the new muffler may allow a little more air flow but the diesel sound remains because its the turbo and the pipes attached to the turbo that gives the current sound or lack of it?.

Take the new California T turbo'd V8, it has 8 turned length pipes, they spent a fortune to get the sound right, all you are doing is changing the rear muffler on the rear of the X5, it will always sound like a muffled diesel and made even worst with the added turbo.

Save your money, the last thing you want to do is add a bad drone to the system and that noise override the fake engine noise created by BMW.
Just trying to convince myself...
Really miss my previous Hamann exhaust. Regretting not getting the 50i instead of the M50d.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 05:20 AM   #6
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredstral View Post
Just trying to convince myself...
Really miss my previous Hamann exhaust. Regretting not getting the 50i instead of the M50d.
Do what I did and buy a Ferrari for the sound?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

That's hardly an option for most people watrob.

As I mentioned in a recent thread, I've just purchased an m50d which I'm expected delivery of within the next week or so.

I've been toying back and forth on the 50i vs 50d. I'm coming out of an Audi SQ5 which is a much sharper car (more sedan like), but it too has the artificial sound. However with the SQ5 they've done it right by piping the sound inside as well as outside - and doing it right. It sounds awesome.

In the end the deal I've got pushed me to the 50d. It's important to note however that I'm getting a 50d for 50i money which in the case of Australia, has a 10k difference at rrp.

I drove both back to back again today, and the M suspension, dynamic dampers and m servtronic steering in the m50d make a considerable difference to the driving feel and feedback.

You can't escape the sound of the diesel however - it doesn't sound pretty at all. When I heard the V8 50i again today, it made me consider switching. Common sense wins out however and the 50i will have a shocking resale in comparison - at least in Australia.

So to stick OT, if there was an exhaust that made the sound better, I'd be interested, but I'm not too sure what one could do aside from adding drone and mixing it with the turbo diesel sound.

The drive of the 50i is very different also - it has so much more atmosphere and theatre in the cabin, but they're both seriously quick. Drive the 50d in M to get the most out of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Not 5 minutes did I write the above and then found this.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/09/28/ha...5-and-x6-m50d/

Reminds me of the SQ5 system which with an add-on, can be adjusted. The SQ5 however sounds similar to this modification out of the box.

Seems particularly expensive for what it achieves - I guess if that's the most important thing then the 50i is the right car.

50i and 50d are spec very similar in Oz - the additional 10k is not exactly justified for the 50d, except for the M tuning.

The exhaust is what it is, but with the stereo blaring, I'm not expecting to hear much anyway lol.

Last edited by elisiX; 10-28-2015 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Since the M50d has active sound (fake sound pumped into the cabin) chances are you can have a experienced coder change the car model sound through coding. I know there are members with 135's with active sound being able to change the parameter through coding to make it sound like a diesel or the M3 V8. Something worth looking into.....

Last edited by Alan l.; 10-28-2015 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the heads up.

It's funny, since writing and reading the above, I've just been watching non-stop 50i videos. Buying a v8 is a little worrying in Australia for a vehicle like this. Its not just the increased petrol costs vs the 50d, but the shocking resale in comparison. We're as obsessed with diesels in Australia as Europe is just about.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Is the resale issue due to the 50i petrol prices? I'm wondering though a vehicle at this price point, would higher fuel price even be a concern for the prospective buyer?
      10-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

The X5 starts at $100k here, which is about the price point people are willing to spend to be seen in a luxury SUV. Most, and I mean 90%, buy the 30d as it achieves this goal. So yes, people buying the higher end models including petrol may care less about running costs, though it will still affect resale. By my research, as much as 20%!

It's a big reason I haven't bought the 50i. Running costs and resale. Though I'm torn to be perfectly honest. The 50d does not have anywhere near the soul of the 50i. However when I'm driving 3 hours a day in mostly bumper to bumper, I'd hardly get to enjoy the 50i anyway. The 50d at least will be just as comfortable, cost less to run and be worth considerably more like for like come sale time.

Diesel SUV's are the biggest selling and growing market here and I assume, worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:50 AM   #13
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Just came across this and checked out their YouTube clip.

http://maxhaust.de/bmw/x5/x5-f15/kom...ndbooster.html

The Hamman 'fake' system is ridiculously expensive at 7000 EUR. This is significantly cheaper at about $1500 EUR.

Maxhaust have a popular setup for the SQ5 which already has both internal and external sound. So in that case it's just a tune as Alan described above.

The system proposed for the M50d looks like it requires hardware additions, though the results are essentially the same as the Hamman system.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #14
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M50d

I know It's an old thread, but did anyone installed maxhoust system?

I like what I hear

Instructions to use here, but no info on mounting instructions..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:38 AM   #15
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep

1. I've mailed Maxhaust

this is the reply and the instructions attached.

Quote:
you need the complete Set with one speaker it costs 1190,00 €
http://maxhaust.de/bmw/x5/x5-f15/kom...ndbooster.html
if you like it louder you need one speaker more it costs 490,00 €
http://maxhaust.de/bmw/x5/x5-f15/erw...nkl-kabel.html

For the complete set you can choose 3 different control units
Audi controller V8 sound - in package
software optimized control unit copayment € 199.00
Maserati controller (Maserati Sound) contain (Maserati sound similar) Supplement € 499.00 (at the time no date of delivery)
I'm not very happy to have 2 loudspeakers in the trunk!

2. An article about this.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...ol-104705.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW X5-X3-X6 neu.pdf (1.51 MB, 2650 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
1. I've mailed Maxhaust

this is the reply and the instructions attached.

I'm not very happy to have 2 loudspeakers in the trunk!

2. An article about this.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...ol-104705.html
That´s strange. On Audis original version the "loudspeaker" is directly connected to the exhaust and therefore hangs underneath the car.
Are these even connected to the exhaust and if not is the sound just coming from inside the trunk?
Also, I would never want a product that you control in that weird way via the buttons on the steering wheel. Hamanns version at least have an app that you control the sound with. Then again, Hamanns is quite a bit more expensive.

Picture of Audis version
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep

From what I've read, there is no physical connection between the speakers and exhaust in this case. It's only a speaker, that is in sync with the engine RPM.

The settings I believe that will be done only once by most customers. The Hamann App is cool, for a few days.
Appreciate 0